Advice/Help How does one get people to your group rp search? also how do you get other gms for your rp thread?

SirNateUnknown

Master Of Boredom
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
so i have opened an group rp interest check and was wondering on how to get enough people to look at my thread or even apply? i know that the plot might not be to their liking but im more concerned at the fact that the title i put for the thread isn't efficient enough in drawing people ofn what the rp could be. i'm just hoping to get more people somehow, at the very least see if it's the plot that is problematic or just simply not enough people have looked at it.

also i don't necessarily have people to gm the rp, it's only me right now and i don't know anyone nor have friends that would probably like to help and gm this said rp. basically im stumped on this one as i know that gm can be a tough responsibility, but i do need people to help this going. surely there's people who like the same things that i do? how do you guys do it? i am have yet to spend enough time here with other people to see if that's even possible.

would love to hear some advices maybe some people who would like to help on the matter.

Getting people to GM your idea is pretty tough. I know because I've tried. You are essentially asking them to do all the hard work of running a narrative without the satisfaction of the idea being their own creation. You might be able to get someone to GM something with you if you both create a setting together. This is usually borne out of 1x1 RP parnterships. So try and run your ideas with the 1x1 crowd and maybe someone will help you out with co-creating and co-GMing later on.

As far as the title: Keep it simple, avoid bland descriptors, and if you are RPing something in a popular fandom/genre, you are going to have to make it stand out from all the other similar RP titles.

Also, you dont need to nail down the absolute essence of your RP all in the title. You want them to actually open up your advert, so just pique their interests instead of trying to cram the whole run-down in the title.

For example, let's say you were doing a zombie apocalypse RP. I'm using this example because it's a very popular setting. The details of the RP could be that you are survivors of a plane crash or cruise shipwreck on a tropical island and are not only recovering from the crash in the wilderness of the jungle, but also have to worry about the recent zombie outbreak.

So for a title you could go with something like, Island of the Dead, or Margaritas and Flesh-eaters, or even My Zombie Summer Vacation. It gets people to click in to see just wtf the RP is about, just flirting with the theme of the RP enough not be misleading.

Edit:
So I just went to check on exactly what your RP was about. When I, personally, see RPs formatted in the way you have yours posted, I just hit the back button. When it comes to RP advertisements, I believe less is more. When there are windows inside windows and hidden scroll bars and just all this condensed coding in the advert, I don't even bother reading any of it. I back out, and keep on looking for stuff that is served up in a less flashy fashion. But this is just me. Some people here like RP adverts like that.

Last edited:
Getting people to GM your idea is pretty tough. I know because I've tried. You are essentially asking them to do all the hard work of running a narrative without the satisfaction of the idea being their own creation. You might be able to get someone to GM something with you if you both create a setting together. This is usually borne out of 1x1 RP parnterships. So try and run your ideas with the 1x1 crowd and maybe someone will help you out with co-creating and co-GMing later on.

As far as the title: Keep it simple, avoid bland descriptors, and if you are RPing something in a popular fandom/genre, you are going to have to make it stand out from all the other similar RP titles.

Also, you dont need to nail down the absolute essence of your RP all in the title. You want them to actually open up your advert, so just pique their interests instead of trying to cram the whole run-down in the title.

For example, let's say you were doing a zombie apocalypse RP. I'm using this example because it's a very popular setting. The details of the RP could be that you are survivors of a plane crash or cruise shipwreck on a tropical island and are not only recovering from the crash in the wilderness of the jungle, but also have to worry about the recent zombie outbreak.

So for a title you could go with something like, Island of the Dead, or Margaritas and Flesh-eaters, or even My Zombie Summer Vacation. It gets people to click in to see just wtf the RP is about, just flirting with the theme of the RP enough not be misleading.

Edit:
So I just went to check on exactly what your RP was about. When I, personally, see RPs formatted in the way you have yours posted, I just hit the back button. When it comes to RP advertisements, I believe less is more. When there are windows inside windows and hidden scroll bars and just all this condensed coding in the advert, I don't even bother reading any of it. I back out, and keep on looking for stuff that is served up in a less flashy fashion. But this is just me. Some people here like RP adverts like that.
i see, makes sense. i'll keep that in mind, thank you for the help.

Like Murdergurl Murdergurl said, good formatting is very important to draw in players. An interest check or OOC is the gateway to your RP, and if it's sloppy and confusing, players aren't going to give it a chance. On the other hand, a well constructed one will draw in players who want to know more. In particular, the player should be greeted with the most relevant information to them (Their role in the story) and everything else should be in arms reach. Avoid using "gimmicks" like seemingly aesthetic forum code that makes things harder to read and understand.

Beyond that, getting a Co-GM is more about networking. They come easier if you've already established yourself as a competent GM on the forum or have a pool of RP buddies that like doing that sort of stuff with you. Most people GM because they want to run their own RPs, so Co-GMs are sort of rare. And if you do get a co GM, you want to make sure it's someone you can communicate with and generally are like minded on things. Or at the very least, can respect each other's differences and allow them some degree of freedom. And make no mistake about it, you ARE going to be expected to do most of the work. Otherwise, your Co-GM could just do their own thing and call all the shots.

And yea, names really just need to make people interested. Having said that, I would avoid anything too long and bloated, unless you're writing a comedy.

hi! a lot of the best tips have already been raised by others in the thread, but i wanted to give my two cents anyways ♡
i might be biased as a coder myself, but i don't think using code is necessarily a bad thing. it's more of a "different strokes for different folks" thing-- just be aware that the use/absence of code will attract different types of people to your interest check! just as the folks above are turned off by code, i know people who are inclined towards coded interest checks too (ᵔ◡ᵔ) i don't know enough to really say which is a majority/minority, but if you personally like using code, i think coded interest checks also bring in like-minded people! some food for thought.
regardless of what formatting you choose to use, though, i think the most important thing is making sure it's legible to as many people as possible still; i'd advise adding an uncoded version (in a spoiler, maybe??) even if your code is mobile-friendly ( ˙▿˙ )

as for co-gms; while many find co-gms from friends-- usually those that may have helped with the planning of the roleplay, it's not uncommon for people to put up an idea and mention that they are looking for co-gms.!! i will say from experience that there are people who are very willing to co-gm an idea that isn't their own, provided they are interested enough in the plot ٩(。•́‿•̀。)۶ it's worthwhile to ask for interested people to dm you and then giving them a run-through of what your idea of a co-gm entails too, for clarity! that said, recruiting from people you don't know well can be tough if you find you don't really click with whoever's interested to co-gm,,.. it's an inevitable problem from finding co-gms in this way ;;

and finally~ i think you could consider networking in other rps too! you can join other rps you're interested in with similar genres and if you build up enough rapport with them, you could let them know you have a roleplay they might like. of course, please do not join other rps only for the sake of advertising your own, but creating these networks of rp friends with similar interests can really help ( ´ ▿ ` )

all the best!!! (b ᵔ▽ᵔ)b

thank you everyone for the advice, im probably going to halt the rp for now since everyone else who is said to be interested in the rp is currently very busy. i'll be sure to use your advice when i re open/revamp the rp somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back