Advice/Help How do you plot out ideas during roleplays and keep it interesting?

Addicted to Coffee

Do you list the ideas you want to happen or do you keep it a secret for a surprise? Also, how do you keep the roleplay interesting and from dying out?

So it kinda depends is the plot a mystery? Or something where the characters need to figure out certain things in order?

If that’s the case don’t list everything at once.

If it’s just a slice of life where things happen at random then you can post your ideas at the start.

But if you ever get bored the best thing to do is just talk to your partner.

Sometimes they might have a new idea you hadn’t thought of or maybe their just not feeling the current idea and want to try something new.

I normally suck at coming up with plot so am the type of writer who usually prefers to plot things as I go. I like to have the characters tell the story and how they react to things over the course of the story will often determine the direction it goes in. Plus pre-plotting everything can be limiting since then you sort of become expected to write things to fit the specific pre-established mold.

Do you list the ideas you want to happen or do you keep it a secret for a surprise?

While there is always a bit of a mix of both of those things, I like planning more. So provided I am with a partner who is willing to do that with me, I like to plan out arcs, some future events and with some really good partners, even scenes. This is both a more stable way of doing things (as opposed to surprises which by nature have a lot more uncertainties and can either turn out pretty fun and memorable or an utter frustrating mess especially if there is some miscommunication) and one that fits better what I enjoy in roleplays, as the planning can help really bring out the plot and character potential.

I do want to mention though that I don't "list" the ideas. I bring up ideas, talk about them with my partner. Some are left in the air as possibilities (often when they are too far in the future to say anything about them right away), others were decide "yeah we'll go with that".

Also, how do you keep the roleplay interesting and from dying out?

Keeping the roleplay from dying out is... something I can't really say I've done much. I am friendly and give my partners the flexibility they need. I am also picky and try to find the partners best suited for appreciating the kind of style of roleplaying, even down to the logistical details, that I prefer as well. However, by nature a slow and long nature style of roleplay like my own is a lot more vulnerable to real life getting in the way, as longer spans of time are needed for it. At the very least it doesn't seem to me like for the vast majority of my partners there was a loss of interest, and those few exceptions are mostly people whom I still consider friends and talk to, and with whom I tried lowering my usual demands.

Setting that matter aside, keeping things interesting. The problem fundamentally is that the interest needed in nature and amount is INCREDIBLY subjective. The idea that there is this one specific tactic for holding interest is a mistake from the start and a futile search. There is some advice I can give, but in the end it's not nearly enough by itself.

The idea has to be sustainable from the beginning. A lot of RPs die from fact that players are starting it on a whim, but never considered if their momentary cravings will hold or if the idea or their characters can function long-term. The questions to ask are "What's there to explore" "what is drawing me into this" and "who are the characters, the world, and the conflict, and in what ways can I pull their strings and tug at their existing dynamics" among others. If you are doing a planning-based approach, it's a matter of exploring the potential you lay out from the start, of going through arcs and looking forward to the results. I made a character with issues towards holding responsibilities and interacting with people they don't see on the same intellectual plane as them, and now they have found the king's lost child and need to bring them home. In discovery writing meanwhile the approach is similar, but instead of having an eye ahead to the conclusion of arcs and making use of prior foreshadowing, you look at the present state of character, world and plot and dig into whatever seems interesting to explore or shake the status quo.

Engage the other player. This comes in two aspects. First, the other player's participation and personal interests need to be given breathing room. If the other player is prevented from meaningfully engaging, either by being dragged along with little agency or having their contributions rendered too inconsequential, then they may feel detached and loose their investment in what is going on. People tend to be primarily interested in their own lives, their own creations etc... If those are sidelined, they are likely to feel sidelined as well.
Second, as I mentioned we are talking about a very subjective thing (interest). This means that communication is essential. What interests your fellow player? What did they like and dislike? The feedback they give and what they like to talk about in general should help you structure an idea on what kind of focus would keep their interest, if any at all.

It depends upon preference, more so with 1X1.
I like to plot out the bigger storylines and improvise the details. I seek for partners who like to work the same way, to avoid one partner getting bored or annoyed.

Joking and talking in OOC or DMing about the RP. Something is well received by the group and the GM or another player jumps on it. I have also seen great results with scenes themes around current real life holidays or seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back