Chitchat How Do You Make Characters?

I usually create a character as Roleplays come up and each is tailored to the setting and story that they are going to be in. Then I read through the setting, the plot and any other characters already involved and wait for something to spark. Usually I come up with a role- she’s a scientist, or a witch, or has this set of powers- and go from there. I often also have a few things I want from them going into personalities or backstory but once I start writing them they take on a life of their own. Each comes out unique, but also never quite as I envisioned going into it. If I’m honest though, most of my writing goes that way, once I start it it just types itself out and gains a life all of its own.

My characters create themselves most of the time. They just tell me they're there and I have to deal with it. Then I'm left with the job of naming them and solidifying their personalities. XD

Either that, or dreams and music sometimes inspire new characters. If I try too hard to make one, it doesn't work.

My characters create themselves most of the time. They just tell me they're there and I have to deal with it. Then I'm left with the job of naming them and solidifying their personalities. XD

Either that, or dreams and music sometimes inspire new characters. If I try too hard to make one, it doesn't work.

I feel this SO MUCH.
I'm stuck in character making limbo lmao. All these concepts...that I can't just toss away. It's worse when I try drawing them and then I'm like "Hey that doesn't look like X...whelp. New character it is then.

I create new characters for each RP based heavily on the atmosphere of the given RP. Once I have a theme down, I try to put down three to four flaws or negative characteristics, and three or four unrelated traits. Loves metal, but only catchy metal? Thinks dark chocolate is disgusting? Loves speed but hates heights? Even the most miniscule detail tells you a whole story, so once you have the pieces (the four corners), the rest fills itself in.

I personally find making characters easy, however making good characters is hard. Which is what we all really want to do as roleplayers. How do you make a good character?

I've always kept a notepad with me so that whenever I think of an interesting backstory or a character trait on the spot, I'll write it down. So if I ever encounter writer's block I'll flip through the notebook and think about the things I've written down. So that's just simply making a character concept. But then onto actually making the character? Turning them into a person with dreams and motivation? That's the hard part.

I always like using CLP as a form of sliders to figure out how appealing they are to readers. Competence, likability, and proactivity. I believe I took it from an Brandon Sanderson(Best-selling Fantasy Author). Competence essentially means how powerful they are. Can they walk into a room and fight fifty ninjas? Can they talk their way out of any situation? Likability means their personality. Is this person a good person at heart? Are they funny? Proactivity means how far they push the plot. Are they carrying the Ring to Mount Doom? Are they hiding in their room?

I can go on for hours about this, but that's my basic process.

I have 3 criteria for my characters.

1: the environment. Our environments shape our cultures & attitudes.

2: experiences: what has my character experienced in his life? Was he raised in a brutal fantasy world so he's ultra defensive and sadistic? Is he a war veteran suffering from PTSD and embittered to the world? Is he a modern milleneal who's formed a snarky, condescending and nihilistic worldview because he can't get a job and considers his situation hopeless?

Myself: i examine my own personality and put it through the above criteria. Sometimes if i really want to play out a certain character type and think "what would it take, to turn ME into THAT"? And apply it, thus crafting a backstory in the process.

I think about a character concept (archetype, appearance, love interest or sexuality, etc.), look for pictures, then build my character based on the connotations of that picture

To quote some advice I read a long time ago.

What does the character want the most?
How can I prevent that from happening?

I stare at anything, and imagine it personified as a character. Even air, the void, or null. It works.

I rarely have a character in mind when I start outlining a rp, unless it's a fandom rp where I'm going to play canon.

First I need a basic idea of the rp theme, the setting, the plot. Then I need to know what my rp partner wants to do, if they need a specific type of character to match theirs, for example. And then I think what I want to play at that given time. When all those factors align and I get a clear idea, a character just happens. Hardest part is to name it!
After the initial planning I add depth to the character, their backstory, more personality traits and quirks, abilities etc. To make it actually playable.

Most of my characters are real world. I have played Vampires a few times. In either case I think about the story/theme and what I want to explore. I like contradictions and having characters that are challenged in some way by what is happening. So I try and build up a character that is interesting and is at odds with who they are or what they are doing.

I am honestly still slow progessing mysekf into the habit of filling out a sheet of information my characters beforw I use them.

I also find it easier to have an image of some sort for the character before I make them.

The first thing I always do is pick someone I know in real life, and then alter my perception of them a little. I might change a few traits here and there, and then throw in some issues that the characters face. But the basis of their personality of the real life person is still there, but this can be difficult sometimes when making a villain or enemy because everyone around me is awesome :p

Definitely start with a name and fill in the rest as it comes to me. Sometimes their history comes first, sometimes what they look like comes first. I dunno, it depends on the series?

Over the years my process went from super organized to "It's 3am and I have an idea"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back