Experiences How do you feel about Oc x Canon Rps?

What does this have to do with my comment?

You mentioned Edward Cullen and a Plain Jane with an hourglass figure taking over the plot. I was just saying that as that's pretty much what the canon storyline focused on I wouldn't actually consider it much of a turn off in the case of that fandom (or fandoms like it).

But in a fandom where romance was not the main focus OR when the characters had specific storylines that didn't involve romance I think it's a lot more noticeable when you sort of derail their characterization so that you can write about your romantic fantasy.

More or less a stray observation about how sometimes Canon x OC actually works with the published works themes and storyline and sometimes it really doesn't.

You mentioned Edward Cullen and a Plain Jane with an hourglass figure taking over the plot. I was just saying that as that's pretty much what the canon storyline focused on I wouldn't actually consider it much of a turn off in the case of that fandom (or fandoms like it).

But in a fandom where romance was not the main focus OR when the characters had specific storylines that didn't involve romance I think it's a lot more noticeable when you sort of derail their characterization so that you can write about your romantic fantasy.
Yeah but there was no need for any explanation on how you feel about Twilight being this and that.

Yeah but there was no need for any explanation on how you feel about Twilight being this and that.

That’s the objective themes of the book series? I am not bad mouthing it or anything. As evidenced by my first post it’s a fairly popular type of story in the romance genre ( and presumably other genres I just don’t follow them as closely).

I was only saying that if your fandom is already designed to insert the audiences own personal fantasies/wish-fulfillment into the place of the protagonist than it makes it easier to replace said protagonist with an OC.

I basically second what AnimeGenork AnimeGenork said. And a few others in this thread.

I love oc x canon. *shrug* It's probably what I roleplayed the most when I first started, back in my neopets days. (Tbh I can't remember specifically, but I have a feeling it was alot of Sailor Moon and InuYasha) But basically, for me, it boils down to what I enjoy. I enjoy exploring storylines, I enjoy exploring characters both premade and my own, and yes, i enjoy romance,

-gasp-

Alot of people on here, when I read their responses, it's like they're disgusted by romance roleplays and the like. maybe they've had bad experiences, IRL or online, or whatever. but there's no reason to shun those who enjoy a specific kind of roleplay. if you don't like something, move on. if you want platonic and they want romance, move on. if you feel like all their character is gonna be is a self insert who wants romance with an unlikely partner canon character and you don't wanna be that canon, move on.

the point of roleplaying is that its supposed to be fun for both parties/all parties! i personally find it fun to play an oc opposite a canon, and i like doubling for my partner as well to the best of my abilities, again because i find it fun. we can really create a good storyline sometimes. i do tend to shy away from those who aren't as detailed as i am, but that's because more casual rps aren't fun for me. but i have no problem with people enjoying what they enjoy.

I basically second what AnimeGenork AnimeGenork said. And a few others in this thread.

I love oc x canon. *shrug* It's probably what I roleplayed the most when I first started, back in my neopets days. (Tbh I can't remember specifically, but I have a feeling it was alot of Sailor Moon and InuYasha) But basically, for me, it boils down to what I enjoy. I enjoy exploring storylines, I enjoy exploring characters both premade and my own, and yes, i enjoy romance,

-gasp-

Alot of people on here, when I read their responses, it's like they're disgusted by romance roleplays and the like. maybe they've had bad experiences, IRL or online, or whatever. but there's no reason to shun those who enjoy a specific kind of roleplay. if you don't like something, move on. if you want platonic and they want romance, move on. if you feel like all their character is gonna be is a self insert who wants romance with an unlikely partner canon character and you don't wanna be that canon, move on.

the point of roleplaying is that its supposed to be fun for both parties/all parties! i personally find it fun to play an oc opposite a canon, and i like doubling for my partner as well to the best of my abilities, again because i find it fun. we can really create a good storyline sometimes. i do tend to shy away from those who aren't as detailed as i am, but that's because more casual rps aren't fun for me. but i have no problem with people enjoying what they enjoy.

EDITED.

It's like toxic masculinity. That phrase does not mean that ALL masculinity is toxic. It is talking about a SPECIFIC TYPE of masculinity that is toxic.

So therefore when I say - I don't like Canon x OC romance it's not me saying "All Romance is bad", it's me saying "This specific type of romance is bad."

And the problem I have with OC x Canon romance specifically is that it is very one-sided. In my experience it's all about the OC and how they get the Canon to fall in love with them. Which means that the roleplay is all about what the OC player wants.

And that's not fun for the person that gets stuck playing the Canon. Because it feels like your just a prop in someone else's story.

And while some people might offer to double it's always with the assumption that you want exactly the same thing they do. I have literally had to argue with someone for at least twenty minutes because they kept insisting that I pick a Canon for my OC since I was playing the Canon for their OC. And I had to tell them over and over again, "I don't want you to play a Canon. I don't have a crush on any of these characters. Please stop asking."

So like to me it's the pushiness and the kind of one-sided nature of the roleplays that makes me hate them with a burning passion. Now I suppose that might just be a bad experience. And certainly if you enjoy Canon X OC romance than more power to you. But it's just not for me.

Last edited:
I think I see Canon differently, at least in the context presented here.

I don't write stories in already established universes for one simple reason. I am a writer in mindset. For me to write a story that uses and/or alters another writer's canon would be plagiarism.

This is just my opinion and again I am looking at it as a writer, not a roleplayer. I can see how roleplayers can and clearing enjoy doing so. I have no problem with it for them. They are playing roles within an existing universe with whomever they choose.

Writers are focused on character creation. Roleplayers are focused on character implementation.

I don't write stories in already established universes for one simple reason. I am a writer in mindset. For me to write a story that uses and/or alters another writer's canon would be plagiarism.

This is just my opinion and again I am looking at it as a writer, not a roleplayer. I can see how roleplayers can and clearing enjoy doing so. I have no problem with it for them. They are playing roles within an existing universe with whomever they choose.

Writers are focused on character creation. Roleplayers are focused on character implementation.

I consider myself both a writer and a roleplayer so I personally have no qualms with playing within fandom universes. I just won't write canon characters.

There are actually a few published writers on this very site. And there are also published authors that enjoy fanfiction, which is sort of the same basic concept. There are even published fanfiction (Pride Prejudice and Zombies, Fifty Shades of Grey, etc.)

So it's not like being a writer means you can't play in a universe someone else created. It's just a matter of preference. Same with roleplay tbh, there are some roleplayers that only do original roleplays, some that only do fandom roleplays, and some that do a mix. It's just down to what you personally enjoy writing about.

I personally prefer OCxCanon because canonxcanon almost always feels forced to me. I know for alot of people it's the other way around though so to each their own! I can completely understand it making some people uncomfortable but I've never seen it as being used as a romantic wish fulfillment. Alot of the people I roleplay with are in relationships or are married like me and know the difference between a character and a real person. We love to gush and awe over the cute/frantic/dramatic/ or character development that can happen but we know the OC is not us. That they are a character and we are happy in real life with our real relationships. We just enjoy the characters and love writing out story situations with them and an original character we control. I am not my OC. I can see however how some people wouldn't be able to make the distinction and it would make others uncomfortable. I will do canonxcanon it's just a bit boring and forced for me so I usually ask if I can atleast have an OC. I'll do canonxcanon always for others though if we double.

I'm not super keen on playing it because nine times out of ten it's a wish fulfilment self-insert thing, but each to their own. I've definitely had OCs who were paired with canons in the past, although no-one actually played the canons, so I can see why people would enjoy it. It's just not my cup of tea.

I'm not super keen on playing it because nine times out of ten it's a wish fulfilment self-insert thing, but each to their own. I've definitely had OCs who were paired with canons in the past, although no-one actually played the canons, so I can see why people would enjoy it. It's just not my cup of tea.

I’m fine with wishfullfillment as long as it’s specific to their own character. Like if you want to make a self insert who is beloved and the bestest there ever was it doesn’t actually bother me.

What bothers me is attempting to rewrite MY characters backstory/personality so your character gets to be center stage. (And to be fair this happens with pure OCs too).

Ex. Someone asked me once to play the series villain in a superhero show. They wanted to play a coworker of his that he falls in love with. I told them flat out Villain is incapable of love. He will manipulate and possibly try to murder your character at some point.

And they go on this long rant about how their character is the only one who understands Villain and he really loves them and will change because of their love.

And I am like he spent literally the first season being a father figure to two of the main heroes and he killed one and tried to kill the other. These were people that the character explicitly stated he saw as sons and he was “regretful” for the necessity of murdering them. But ya know what Karen? He still freaking did it. Because he’s the freaking villain.

I dislike all "canon roleplays" so the answer is "I dislike it."

I personally prefer OCxCanon because canonxcanon almost always feels forced to me. I know for alot of people it's the other way around though so to each their own! I can completely understand it making some people uncomfortable but I've never seen it as being used as a romantic wish fulfillment. Alot of the people I roleplay with are in relationships or are married like me and know the difference between a character and a real person. We love to gush and awe over the cute/frantic/dramatic/ or character development that can happen but we know the OC is not us. That they are a character and we are happy in real life with our real relationships. We just enjoy the characters and love writing out story situations with them and an original character we control. I am not my OC. I can see however how some people wouldn't be able to make the distinction and it would make others uncomfortable. I will do canonxcanon it's just a bit boring and forced for me so I usually ask if I can atleast have an OC. I'll do canonxcanon always for others though if we double.

See I don’t think it’s usually a case of the person literally thinking they are their OC. In my experience it’s more like they have an idealized view of what the canon is based on their own attraction to the character.

So it’s not - Ugh Sally can’t tell the difference between fiction and reality. Her OC Cali is obviously just her shoved into the story.

It’s more like - So real talk did Sally even read/watch the source material? Cuz the way she’s describing Canon is straight out of fanfic. Wait... does she think Actor and Canon are the same person? So who am I supposed to be playing? Actor or Canon?

(I know books don’t technically have Actors but it’s a similar situation.)

Like I have no problem writing a Canon and an OC together provided you let me write the canon as I see fit. (Usually as close to the source material as the plot allows). Don’t give me your five page essay on your personal romantic fantasy featuring Canon.

Because at that point I’m not playing Canon I’m playing an OC of your own making that your other OC gets to fall in love with.

I think the only scenario where this would really work is in an all-all crossover. Interactions are so everywhere that the pairing will materialize more naturally.

1C77643987B024838C5F26FD2F3DDAC892505D9B

When I've seen it, it's usually wish fulfillment. Or it's done so poorly that a storyline involving cutting my legs off would be a welcomed and fun alternative. These are the most common, but there is also times where it may be done to derail or exterminate the story just to spite someone.

Don't be that guy.

I honestly don't have a huge problem with oc x cannon rp. Is it wish-fulfilly and cringey? Oh god yes. I've seen some absolute train wrecks of characters lusting after cannon characters who would have zero interest in them at all, clearly self-insert trash. But I've also seen a lot of very well written, interesting characters that could fit well in the universe and be believable as potential love interests.

I feel like at its heart roleplaying is a form of wish-fulfillment to begin with, so as long as my rp partner doesn't drive me up a fucking wall with their characters and essentially use our rp as a vehicle to live our their fantasies surrounding their cannon love interests, I'm ok with it.
I would have to agree. Personally, I like oc X canon rps to a point. I don't work with them too much anymore. The big thing for me is the relationship building part. I like seeing how different characters work but it has to be realistic too. I've done just canon character rps before too and they were just as fun. Personally, I don't do a lot of oc X canon relationships mostly because I'd rather build a 'family' or 'best friend' relationship with an oc and a canon character instead of romantic. For me, the friendship/family figure relationship is more attractive to me then a romantic one since an oc gets to build a strong bond with a character without the romance.

While I don't mind and do more oc X canon stuff, I really enjoy relationship building more. I don't hate it but I don't care for it at the same time.

I actually quite enjoy Canon x OC to a point. I've been blessed to have met one of my best friends through doubling. However, I have experienced some people who have used it as wish fulfillment rather than building a story and it makes me sad. To me, adding OCs adds to the adventure that canon characters can have and it doesn't have to be romantic.

I've participated in and witnessed enough bad ones to know that it's better to just let things happen naturally. Sometimes, the worst offenders are people who want the canon to be a villain so their OC can "fix" them or make them see the error of their ways.

I'm very comfortable roleplaying as canon characters and personally, I hate it.

I used to RP on Twitter as a canon character for a video game series and I would constantly get requests to plot with OCs which were clearly thinly veiled wish fulfillment plots, which never worked especially since I saw this character as asexual and disinterested in relationships.

And it's not even that on this site, I'm getting the character being immersed in the setting, it's either the OC is in a romantic relationship with the canon or in some way related.

I legit couldn't care less.

Yeah, it's a tad wishfullment-y but let's not pretend that every other type of roleplay isn't equally bad in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back