Experiences How do you feel about Oc x Canon Rps?

See I have a complicated relationship with the series itself. I like it but I don't think I love it quite as much as I did as a kid. I LOVE the world though. I have tried to look for harry potter sites but can never find anything active anymore. I think sadly I missed my time for those.

Assuming you're 18+ I know a decent one.

I feel like at its heart roleplaying is a form of wish-fulfillment to begin with, so as long as my rp partner doesn't drive me up a fucking wall with their characters and essentially use our rp as a vehicle to live our their fantasies surrounding their cannon love interests, I'm ok with it.

Yeah see I think that's always the biggest disconnect for me. I don't do wish-fullfilment in the same way as most people. As I tend to focus on just exploring the world not on character interaction. So for me I think I run into the exact same problems with OC x OC roleplays that I do with Canon x OC roleplays. People are trying to make the roleplay about romance when I want it to be about exploring the world. And in both cases both sides just end up frustrated because they aren't getting what they want out of the roleplay.

Yeah see I think that's always the biggest disconnect for me. I don't do wish-fullfilment in the same way as most people. As I tend to focus on just exploring the world not on character interaction. So for me I think I run into the exact same problems with OC x OC roleplays that I do with Canon x OC roleplays. People are trying to make the roleplay about romance when I want it to be about exploring the world. And in both cases both sides just end up frustrated because they aren't getting what they want out of the roleplay.

Funny enough most of the fandom based RP's I've done have not been centred on romance. There's been a few, but they didn't start out that way. It kind of just developed as the story progressed.

Funny enough most of the fandom based RP's I've done have not been centred on romance. There's been a few, but they didn't start out that way. It kind of just developed as the story progressed.

Huh maybe I just haven't been on the right times. As usually when looking for 1x1s everyone into a fandom wants to do Canon x OC (or rarely OC x OC) romance stories. And when I'm like...so but how about we did just something fun with animals or different cultures? It's like they Apparate away or something.

Mm this is an easy one for me.

I typically don't like fandom roleplays in general. As Idea Idea mentioned, it feels limiting to creativity in my opinion. And as a creator and writer, I do not take well to anything that might cramp my muse.

A Canon character usually has, more or less in most cases, already been explored in the series they are in. This is a huge turn off for me as I find one of the joys of writing and Rping is exploring the characters. That is not to say I don't like the character, it is just to say that I wouldn't find playing them interesting.

Also, as mentioned earlier, I often find that such RPs are more of a wish fulfillment more than anything. I don't have any point of contention with that in itself. If they enjoy it, more power to them. But the problem with those RPs, and it is not just limited to fandom rps, is that often times there is nothing in it for the other person who is supposed to be part of it. Which is why it is actually hard to find the best partner in those cases because one would have already wanted to play that specific character or character type and the other would have already wanted to play against that type of character or character type for everyone to be getting something out of it.

I have no contention with canon x OC in itself, it just is not my cup of tea at all.

Everything here has been already said but I would implore anyone who tries to apply the downsides of Fandom 1x1’s to Fandom Group RPs to re-evaluate their position.

Personally, I’m open to all types of pairings (IE OC x Canon, Canon x Canon, or OC x OC in a certain fandom). Luckily, all my OC x Canon role plays haven’t felt forced in the romantic area.

To add to that, I personally hate it when people role play a certain canon completely out of character or when someone gets upset with me for role playing them appropriately (Ex: Sesshomaru. This one irks me the most. He’s not gonna suddenly be super affectionate and love humans instantly, sorry).

I think that belittling someone purely because they want an OC x Canon 1x1 is childish. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I mean shiiiiit I finally found an amazing partner to role play one of my guilty pleasure fandoms against an OC. Hate me for it I don’t even care lol

Personally, I quite like it. Especially within the Harry Potter verse, but less so with other fandoms. But I'll admit it does have it's flaws.

Flaws:

Drastic changes to the character:
This one is common when having Canon characters involved generally, not just in OCxCanon. And admittedly, I am sometimes guilty of this (fluffy platonic relationship between Voldemort and his daughter anyone?) but this can get irritating.

OCs that are designed specifically to be with one character:
Alright, I'll admit, some personality types definitely clash, making a pairing between the two unlikely. But have some flexibility with your characters love interest, please! Especially when you have the problem of both characters having the same love interest, as that can happen.

Unrealistically good OCs:
Actually, I've seen this more with OCxOC pairings, but it does apply here too. If I want to have a character be better than the majority of other characters, I give them a plausible reason, I.e. they've been trained through their entire young life to do this, but they still struggle against the veterans of whatever it is. Give your character a plausible reason why are so good, and try not to make them dwarf every other character in the series. If you're telling me your sixteen year old character can take down an immortal dark lord, there is no way I'm buying into it.

💖😻My entire personality is trying to please my love interest!😻 💖
Just stop. Please. We all know which characters these are, and yes, they are cringey, and yes, they are annoying.

Positives:

It allows for new plotlines to develop, as characters can now change and evolve:
This seriously depends on the fandom, and the more open world it is, the easier. Something convoluted where it requires certain characters to do this for this reason at that moment because that will trigger a chain event that will initiate eight other subplots (yes I'm looking at you Throne of Glass) is admittedly harder to do this with.

It allows the exploration of perhaps neglected characters and makes you consider the story from a different angle:
How often do we really consider the villains feelings towards the other characters and situations in the story? Or how often do we get to deeply explore why the villain does what he does, and why people follow him? How did x character deal with an important event in the story?

It's fun:
And that's what role playing is meant to be! I know this statement is subjective, but I at least find it fun.

Personally, I’m open to all types of pairings (IE OC x Canon, Canon x Canon, or OC x OC in a certain fandom). Luckily, all my OC x Canon role plays haven’t felt forced in the romantic area.

To add to that, I personally hate it when people role play a certain canon completely out of character or when someone gets upset with me for role playing them appropriately (Ex: Sesshomaru. This one irks me the most. He’s not gonna suddenly be super affectionate and love humans instantly, sorry).

I think that belittling someone purely because they want an OC x Canon 1x1 is childish. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I mean shiiiiit I finally found an amazing partner to role play one of my guilty pleasure fandoms against an OC. Hate me for it I don’t even care lol

I don’t think anyone is belittling anyone purely for doing canon x oc roleplays.

We’re saying that it either doesn’t fit our own writing styles OR the people who are selfish turned us off the whole idea.

I have never had anyone come up to me with an OC x Canon pairing that wasn’t one sided romantic wishfullfient. Which I wouldn’t do even if it was two OCs or two Canons.

So while I’m sure not everyone OC x Canon pairing is terrible I have just had consistently bad experiences that turned me off the prospect.

Sort of the same way fetishists have completely turned me off the terms top/bottom | seem/uke | etc. I’m not saying everyone who uses those terms wants smut. But as that has been my only practical experience with the subject I’m not taking chances.

It’s an automatic no for me.

I don’t think anyone is belittling anyone purely for doing canon x oc roleplays.

We’re saying that it either doesn’t fit our own writing styles OR the people who are selfish turned us off the whole idea.

I wasn't specifically targetting that at anyone who posted against the OC x Canon idea in this thread. I only added it because I have seen it in other threads or search threads where people have specifically belittled others (whether blatant or not) and said they absolutely will not do OC x Canon.

Sorry for the confusion

:xFwink:

Hey guys! I’m really excited that this question got a lot of response and interactions, it’s awesome to see how you guys feel about the subject!

I figured I’d chip in a little bit, although I don’t mind oc x cannon ships, there is a small section or theme within it that irks me slightly. Most specifically, the yandere category. Now I’ll be honest with you guys, I have partaken in that type of roleplay before. I always played the yandere in all of those, mostly because I enjoy portraying unstable characters, but I would quickly grow bored. Either because the cannon character I was portraying was WAY too ooc and didn’t represent their original personality, or the oc themselves were pretty stereotypical. Now, this is no offense to anyone who enjoys yandere roleplays, some of them can be really awesome if you do it in a more realistic way or have a canon character that’s more likely to be a yandere.

But here’s the thing, a lot of the requests for a yandere canon character x oc consists of canon characters who mostly likely would NEVER act in the yandere stereotype. Nor would they commit atrocious acts to express their psychotic love.

Here’s a bit of an example, let’s say someone wants a Yandere! Dipper (Gravity Falls) x oc RP. But the problem is, that character would never ever act unstable or completely bonkers around a love interest. Sure, the character might have really been interested in their love interest in the tv series, but he would never kill/ torture any rivals. This character even shows humility/ guilt, which is something yanderes never do. So it makes very little sense for him to behave in this manner.

Along with that, as mentioned above, it does feel like you’re catering to someone else’s fantasies. Or that you’re being used to fill a void in someone’s love life. Which is just a little disturbing and uncomfortable. I can kinda see it as a way of yearning for a partner in real life who behaves the same way as a yandere. Which let’s be real here, anybody who is stalked, threatened, or has friends and family harmed by someone who is ‘in love’ with you in real life, would freak the hell out.​

Hey guys! I’m really excited that this question got a lot of response and interactions, it’s awesome to see how you guys feel about the subject!

I figured I’d chip in a little bit, although I don’t mind oc x cannon ships, there is a small section or theme within it that irks me slightly. Most specifically, the yandere category. Now I’ll be honest with you guys, I have partaken in that type of roleplay before. I always played the yandere in all of those, mostly because I enjoy portraying unstable characters, but I would quickly grow bored. Either because the cannon character I was portraying was WAY too ooc and didn’t represent their original personality, or the oc themselves were pretty stereotypical. Now, this is no offense to anyone who enjoys yandere roleplays, some of them can be really awesome if you do it in a more realistic way or have a canon character that’s more likely to be a yandere.

But here’s the thing, a lot of the requests for a yandere canon character x oc consists of canon characters who mostly likely would NEVER act in the yandere stereotype. Nor would they commit atrocious acts to express their psychotic love.

Here’s a bit of an example, let’s say someone wants a Yandere! Dipper (Gravity Falls) x oc RP. But the problem is, that character would never ever act unstable or completely bonkers around a love interest. Sure, the character might have really been interested in their love interest in the tv series, but he would never kill/ torture any rivals. This character even shows humility/ guilt, which is something yanderes never do. So it makes very little sense for him to behave in this manner.

Along with that, as mentioned above, it does feel like you’re catering to someone else’s fantasies. Or that you’re being used to fill a void in someone’s love life. Which is just a little disturbing and uncomfortable. I can kinda see it as a way of yearning for a partner in real life who behaves the same way as a yandere. Which let’s be real here, anybody who is stalked, threatened, or has friends and family harmed by someone who is ‘in love’ with you in real life, would freak the hell out.​

Maybe I’m an old but what’s a yandere?

Yandere is a japanese fiction term, but its basically an obsessive stalker-type of character who will murder everyone around you to isolate you and have you for themselves. It used to be more subtle, but basically its used exclusively for psychopathic slashers (usually female)

It’s a anime trope where a character acts in a psychotic or unstable manner and would commit murder/ torture/ or various other vile acts to express to a love interest how much they ‘love’ them. They often harm a victim’s friends, families, or even potential rivals in order to be in a relationship with said victim. The ‘yandere’ often expresses stalker-like behavior, like constantly taking pictures of a victim, sneaking into their home, or sending mysterious gifts.

I don't much care about them, actually. RP is a fantasy, and I don't care if someone wants to play out their fantasy at all. Which might be hypocritical of me, as I remember once getting into a huge scandal in a fandom, because a group of people shipped characters who weren't a thing in canin verse, and called it "canon", protecting it with passion. But then, this was my problem with specifically calling that a canonical relationship, while in the original there were no ships at all, neither even a hint on one.

But, back to the point, maybe I don't care about them, because I hate canons with passion? While generally supporting the death of an author, I really, really dislike some thirteen-year-old kid taking on a serious role, and playing it out as she deems necessary. More often than not - and I've never seen any "not" yet - they turn a compelling character into absolute shit. So I absolutely ignore canons, and my point of view upon playing a canon character is strictly negative. That being said, if someone gets off playing OC x Canon thing, let them play it. As long as it's out of my lawn, you do you.

I don't much care about them, actually. RP is a fantasy, and I don't care if someone wants to play out their fantasy at all. Which might be hypocritical of me, as I remember once getting into a huge scandal in a fandom, because a group of people shipped characters who weren't a thing in canin verse, and called it "canon", protecting it with passion. But then, this was my problem with specifically calling that a canonical relationship, while in the original there were no ships at all, neither even a hint on one.

But, back to the point, maybe I don't care about them, because I hate canons with passion? While generally supporting the death of an author, I really, really dislike some thirteen-year-old kid taking on a serious role, and playing it out as she deems necessary. More often than not - and I've never seen any "not" yet - they turn a compelling character into absolute shit. So I absolutely ignore canons, and my point of view upon playing a canon character is strictly negative. That being said, if someone gets off playing OC x Canon thing, let them play it. As long as it's out of my lawn, you do you.

This is precisely one of the main reasons I only do Oc x Oc. Very few people can and are willing to play the canon characters correctly. They always make them act OOC simply to fit into a specific mold that is compatible with whoever they're trying to ship them with. A good example of this is Draco/Hermione. I hate that ship so much. It literally makes no sense. Draco bullied Hermione so there's no way he would fall for him, especially considering his family's expectations. (Not to mention as somebody who has PTSD myself from years of bullying and emotional abuse I actually find the full bully/bullied pairings triggering.)

Last edited:

Honestly, I once had an rp partner want their cannon crush to be played as Yandere. Noped out of that so fucking fast.

There's something about the entire Yandere trope in general that just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when you want a normally sweet bean of a cannon character to lose a few screws and torture someone for looking at oc-chan the wrong way.

Considering I actually try to do roleplays like this all the time, I actually work really hard to come up with an OC that would feasibly make sense with the canon character in question. Sometimes I'm thrown into a situation where the canon character would a) turn right around and walk away because fuck this shit or b) be completely turned off from the OC in question because they're boring af and would probably never realistically like them. So I try my best to make an OC who has the type of personality and background that would mesh really well with the canon character in question, which is when these things are so much fun.

For example, my Fruits Basket OC is a girl who spends most of her time daydreaming and spending her time pretending to be somewhere else. If paired with Kyo, that doesn't really fit, does it? Cuz Kyo is easily pissed off. But with Momiji, he might find that charming and even encourage the daydreaming. That's when it's interesting for both parties involved.

Canon x OC roleplays aren't the best, I will admit, but why do I constantly go after them? Because sometimes I want to explore a story with my favorite character from a fandom I'm invested in. That, I think, is the main point to these types of RPs. Sometimes we want to focus on the characters that maybe we think don't get enough attention, or, in some cases, get all the attention, but not in the light we're thinking of. If portrayed incorrectly, these things can fall apart. Don't turn freaking Natsu from Fairy Tail into a pansy. He's a hotheaded dumbass with a penchant for screaming, "NAKAMAAAAAA!" That's when you're definitely not doing it right.

I think Canon x OC can be fun, personally, because sometimes we just want to give our favorite characters some love. However, I understand the concern with these. There are some I've been involved in that haven't turned out all that great, and it's usually execution on the part of the partner. So long as you make sure you're portraying the character correctly and faithfully to the work in which they appear, you'll be fine! And your partner will be happy, too! (I'm very happy with how a friend of mine does Tsubaki from Brothers Conflict... I laugh every time.)

Basically, it takes a sincere effort on the part of both partners involved. Effort to make an OC that would feasibly work in the setting and with the canon character involved, and effort to portray the canon character faithfully, in a way that won't distort the character the OC's writer loves so much.

In the end, it is an interpretation thing as well. After all, isn't roleplay just writing to express how we interpret something?

Considering I actually try to do roleplays like this all the time, I actually work really hard to come up with an OC that would feasibly make sense with the canon character in question. Sometimes I'm thrown into a situation where the canon character would a) turn right around and walk away because fuck this shit or b) be completely turned off from the OC in question because they're boring af and would probably never realistically like them. So I try my best to make an OC who has the type of personality and background that would mesh really well with the canon character in question, which is when these things are so much fun.

For example, my Fruits Basket OC is a girl who spends most of her time daydreaming and spending her time pretending to be somewhere else. If paired with Kyo, that doesn't really fit, does it? Cuz Kyo is easily pissed off. But with Momiji, he might find that charming and even encourage the daydreaming. That's when it's interesting for both parties involved.

Canon x OC roleplays aren't the best, I will admit, but why do I constantly go after them? Because sometimes I want to explore a story with my favorite character from a fandom I'm invested in. That, I think, is the main point to these types of RPs. Sometimes we want to focus on the characters that maybe we think don't get enough attention, or, in some cases, get all the attention, but not in the light we're thinking of. If portrayed incorrectly, these things can fall apart. Don't turn freaking Natsu from Fairy Tail into a pansy. He's a hotheaded dumbass with a penchant for screaming, "NAKAMAAAAAA!" That's when you're definitely not doing it right.

I think Canon x OC can be fun, personally, because sometimes we just want to give our favorite characters some love. However, I understand the concern with these. There are some I've been involved in that haven't turned out all that great, and it's usually execution on the part of the partner. So long as you make sure you're portraying the character correctly and faithfully to the work in which they appear, you'll be fine! And your partner will be happy, too! (I'm very happy with how a friend of mine does Tsubaki from Brothers Conflict... I laugh every time.)

Basically, it takes a sincere effort on the part of both partners involved. Effort to make an OC that would feasibly work in the setting and with the canon character involved, and effort to portray the canon character faithfully, in a way that won't distort the character the OC's writer loves so much.

In the end, it is an interpretation thing as well. After all, isn't roleplay just writing to express how we interpret something?
I also do most of my rping in cannon x oc, so I feel this on a spiritual level. It always irks me when people pair off characters who don't fit personality wise. Or want to butcher the cannon character's attitude in order to better fit their character (I once got an angry reply ooc from a partner who was pissed that Grimmjow didn't return her character's affections when she confessed on the second reply).

I also do most of my rping in cannon x oc, so I feel this on a spiritual level. It always irks me when people pair off characters who don't fit personality wise. Or want to butcher the cannon character's attitude in order to better fit their character (I once got an angry reply ooc from a partner who was pissed that Grimmjow didn't return her character's affections when she confessed on the second reply).

...Grimmjow
The pissy and incredibly scary Hollow guy?
What the heck

...Grimmjow
The pissy and incredibly scary Hollow guy?
What the heck
That exact one.

It was really wild.

Honestly, as much as I enjoy it, rping cannon x oc is a crap shoot lmao. I've been very fortunate to find a few great partners that have become really good friends of mine after a while.

I have all sorts of experience with this, so can't say it is generally great or a tragedy. Most things, I find, need to be approached on an individual basis.
The decision if I'll RP canon x OC is mostly based on the canon's relationships in their universe.
- Are they someone whom I could only ever imagine with another canon ,or whose story I just don't want to mess with? Then I won't try to force them together with an OC.
- Are they someone who never had a relationship in their universe, or not a working/interesting/fitting one? Then it's okay to explore options that weren't there in the books/series.

Of course, the danger that I am likely to end up with Mary Sues is very real. And it happened in the past. I try to prevent it by having my rp partner give me a lot of information about their OC, that usually gives me an idea if they would be a good match or a tragedy on wheels. However, I still get a Mary Sue every now and then, in which case I give them a chance, inform them of the problem and if it doesn't get better, I bow out. Currently, though, I have two very awesome RPs with people playing OCs to my canon character, both of whom just kick ass! (Both literally and figuratively). It would have been a pity if I hadn't tried!

Hate it. The people I have encountered that want their original, sometimes self-insert, character paired with a canon want it as some romantic bundle of whatever. It is painfully obvious the actual plot is on the back burner but that Edward Cullen x plain Jane body like an hourglass with flowing hair and button nose pairing should take priority.

Hate it. The people I have encountered that want their original, sometimes self-insert, character paired with a canon want it as some romantic bundle of whatever. It is painfully obvious the actual plot is on the back burner but that Edward Cullen x plain Jane body like an hourglass with flowing hair and button nose pairing should take priority.

Ironically enough I would think that books like Twilight, Fifty Shades, Beautiful Disasters, Handbook for Mortals, etc. are all essentially self-insert fantasies/personal wish-fulfillment that got published. So in that case I'd actually be more okay with Canon x OC as the books were designed in such a way that the main female protagonist is a blank slate. She is supposed to be molded into whatever personal fantasy/wish-fulfillment the reader wants her to be. So in that case it isn't that big of a leap to just replace her whole sale with some other character.

I think it's a little more noticeable when the canons are a bit more distinct and are telling a specific story. For instance I watch Doom Patrol, which is a comic book show about various characters with mental/physical disabilities (often manifesting as superpower metaphors). So if I were to say take one of the main characters, Larry, and pair him up with an OC it wouldn't fit with his story line. As his whole character arc is being a clinically depressed closeted gay man who struggles with the idea that he is worthy of being in a relationship.

So just taking that away so that he could be paired up with some random male character because his actor is hot would be spitting in the face of the canon characterization.

Contrast that with Bella Swan who exists purely to be a love interest of a canon male. So replacing her with an OC who also exists purely to be the love interest for a canon male wouldn't be as noticeable. Your still telling essentially the same story. Or heck replacing one of the canon love interests with an OC one again wouldn't actually change her storyline all that much.

Ironically enough I would think that books like Twilight, Fifty Shades, Beautiful Disasters, Handbook for Mortals, etc. are all essentially self-insert fantasies/personal wish-fulfillment that got published. So in that case I'd actually be more okay with Canon x OC as the books were designed in such a way that the main female protagonist is a blank slate. She is supposed to be molded into whatever personal fantasy/wish-fulfillment the reader wants her to be. So in that case it isn't that big of a leap to just replace her whole sale with some other character.

I think it's a little more noticeable when the canons are a bit more distinct and are telling a specific story. For instance I watch Doom Patrol, which is a comic book show about various characters with mental/physical disabilities (often manifesting as superpower metaphors). So if I were to say take one of the main characters, Larry, and pair him up with an OC it wouldn't fit with his story line. As his whole character arc is being a clinically depressed closeted gay man who struggles with the idea that he is worthy of being in a relationship.

So just taking that away so that he could be paired up with some random male character because his actor is hot would be spitting in the face of the canon characterization.

Contrast that with Bella Swan who exists purely to be a love interest of a canon male. So replacing her with an OC who also exists purely to be the love interest for a canon male wouldn't be as noticeable. Your still telling essentially the same story. Or heck replacing one of the canon love interests with an OC one again wouldn't actually change her storyline all that much.
What does this have to do with my comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back