• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help how do views work on this site?

Oldworld Chaotic

Title p much sums it up, I just find it odd that I seem to have views on my posts constantly? Does the site just show you as viewing stuff even lobng after you've clicked away?

it keeps showing you and everyone else who has clicked on the thread as viewing for awhile. i believe it goes away after an hour, but i'm not sure if that's the exact time limit.

Ah, that makes sense. An hour seems excessive though?
i think it just has something to do with how the website or server runs; i've been on a lot of forums, and they all seem to count views and online status the same way. forums tend to be really similar with how they run, so i'm guessing it's a pretty universal thing.

edit; don't take my word, though, since i honestly am no expert on this type of stuff.

It's a logout precaution. Basically, if a user signs in and does not opt to check the 'stay logged in' option, after an hour they will log out automatically. It works better than having them logged out every 5 minutes. ;3 The system ties it other aspects of the site though. XD

Additionally, some of those views may actually be what are called bot crawlers which wander through the site to help create their search index for sites like Google and Yahoo. Those are usually 'guest' viewers and at any given time (you can even see which ones here: Current visitors ). ;3 So multiple bots may be visiting your thread as well.

It's a logout precaution. Basically, if a user signs in and does not opt to check the 'stay logged in' option, after an hour they will log out automatically. It works better than having them logged out every 5 minutes. ;3 The system ties it other aspects of the site though. XD

Additionally, some of those views may actually be what are called bot crawlers which wander through the site to help create their search index for sites like Google and Yahoo. Those are usually 'guest' viewers and at any given time (you can even see which ones here: Current visitors ). ;3 So multiple bots may be visiting your thread as well.
Ah, interesting! Thank you for the response. It does seem a little odd when you're not used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back