Advice/Help How Do I Get Roleplay Partners With The Same Interests?

LittleSabreGirl

New But An Actress And Roleplayer
I'm having a dry spell with finding roleplay partners due to two things: 1. Interests and 2. Age. It's really hard to find any good roleplay partner now a days since I left Amino after my phone went dead and lost my account. I have no idea what I'm going to do to get more people interested in my roleplays. I have to force myself to get into the same interests as people just to get into a roleplay. Honesty I just want to grow up already so I have more chances to get into a roleplay but I have more problems that are just plain hard to overcome. My question is How do I get roleplay partners with the same interests without forcing myself into more interests I'm going to be unhappy with?

Lots of people will post interest threads. I would start there. Post an rp you’d like to do or just put yourself out there and list your interests and desires for rp. Sooner or later you’ll get PM replies

Well, yeah. Just present yourself out with a thread. There are people that would love to meet and play with you. And might I add another tip, if you're a fandom roleplayer (and I know it's shallow), but maybe look at the profile pic, it might give a hint what fandom they like and check the about area on their page.

I agree, one of the best ways to start would be to start with an interest check. You can try posting an interest check where you explain what type of roleplays you're interested in. And yes, I know age can sometimes be a barrier if you're a minor, specially since there's lots of people here that won't roleplay with minors, but despite that there's still a lot of people who don't have that limitation, so don't worry, just give it a try and you'll find roleplaying partners very soon. I've seen a lot of young users who despite their age have managed to find several roleplay partners they can have fun roleplaying with. So don't give up, I'm sure you'll find someone with similar roleplaying interests soon enough if you present yourself with a thread and explain what your interests are.

I agree, one of the best ways to start would be to start with an interest check. You can try posting an interest check where you explain what type of roleplays you're interested in. And yes, I know age can sometimes be a barrier if you're a minor, specially since there's lots of people here that won't roleplay with minors, but despite that there's still a lot of people who don't have that limitation, so don't worry, just give it a try and you'll find roleplaying partners very soon. I've seen a lot of young users who despite their age have managed to find several roleplay partners they can have fun roleplaying with. So don't give up, I'm sure you'll find someone with similar roleplaying interests soon enough if you present yourself with a thread and explain what your interests are.

Okay okay I get it! Being a minor really sucks when you have challenges you need to face. But even if I do that, it's not going to be very easy cause there is problems I have to face as a minor. How do I explain this? I'm different than other people and in which age is my permanent barrier I can't break out of. My interests make people run away from me all because I'm different! I had partners before they just up and left just like those toxic people at my hometown! How can I manged to get partners when I'm way too different from anyone else?

Have you tried posting an interest check with all your interests? I did see you made an interest check where you posted one idea of yours. It sounds interesting. Do you have other plots you have in mind? In my experience it's easier to find someone with similar interests when you give a few options and ideas to choose from.

Okay okay I get it! Being a minor really sucks when you have challenges you need to face. But even if I do that, it's not going to be very easy cause there is problems I have to face as a minor. How do I explain this? I'm different than other people and in which age is my permanent barrier I can't break out of. My interests make people run away from me all because I'm different! I had partners before they just up and left just like those toxic people at my hometown! How can I manged to get partners when I'm way too different from anyone else?
I know how you feel. It's like somehow you're less than the other 18+ members on this site. It's like favoritism.

Fine I get it! Posting my interests in an interest check is the only way I can get partners! And I say this cause I mean it from the deepest part of my heart, being a minor IS HARDCORE when you are all alone.

I'm a minor too and it's a lot of nerve wrecking when they don't respond. You start to feel anxiety if they are ever coming back. You see they're online, but they aren't responding. Or maybe it's my low self worth too. It's really hard to present yourself and worry if they think you're a bad writer just because of age.

Fine I get it! Posting my interests in an interest check is the only way I can get partners! And I say this cause I mean it from the deepest part of my heart, being a minor IS HARDCORE when you are all alone.
I apologize if any of this comes off as just repeating what others said. It's just one of the best ways to find roleplay partners.

I understand the struggles of being a minor. I was one myself just a few years ago. Not everyone feel comfortable roleplaying with one, and I have roleplaying partners who are still minors, and it's affected them as well. I know it can be difficult to overcome. I myself don't have any problem roleplaying with minors, so if it helps, you can always PM me and tell me about your plots and ideas. Maybe there's something you have in mind that I'd be interested in trying. I may be 20 by now, but inside I don't think I've changed much at all since I was a teen. Maybe I could be interested in some of your ideas.

I actually do the same, but honestly it just feels bad when I get ignored sometimes. However, I guess I'll need to wait now. Patience is a virtue, to be honest.
I'm 15, also a minor of some sorts and it's starting to destroy me from the inside but of course I am struggling against my own destruction and fury. Yep, feels like a shock in your head.

It just hurts being a minor man. Sometimes you do find people with similar interests, but this experience my friend is the same experience to you. In my opinion, it hurts, I do understand.

My interest checks are ignored too, I think it is more of people not interested in me or my ideas but also due to my age is a good factor.
I know some people are not as comfortable roleplaying with someone who is not older like 18 plus, some maybe want to be safe in a sense of not wanting to be in trouble.
I do not think it is dumb to complain about a problem you have, I think if you have a problem and you need help then voice it out. I do know the feeling of struggling and dark times, the feeling of loneliness does in fact suck. Truthfully it does. I feel the same as you do, I can't bear the pain sometimes and it does feel so hopeless when you did hard work and you still won't get any results. But do know this, I AM always here accepting new people so I want to embrace as many as I possibly can.

How do I make a linear storyline like infamous interesting? It seems like no one likes it and I have tried to post threads granted I gave little information but still. I just love the game universe and am excluded from every rp I am in of it since everyone seems to have their own groups and just because I like using cole people don't like it. The only person I managed to have a interaction with a conduit who could fly named Mariah.

Speaking as an adult and one of those RPer's who usually doesn't feel comfortable RPing with minors I'll just say this: don't advertise your age. Unless you say it outright or adopt obvious mannerisms many RPers will not even ask or think twice about your age. I certainly don't, but if someone states in their interest check that they're under eighteen then I'll skim over it.

I have nothing against minors, however. Most of my discomfort in RPing with them comes from the fact I often like to touch on heavier subjects that not all of them may be mature enough to handle. There are exceptions of course, which is again why I want to emphasize don't advertise your age.

As for finding RPers with similar interests, that all comes down to consistently checking interest checks and posting your own if nothing pops out. I have some pretty niche interests myself but occasionally I get lucky!

Last edited:
A lot of this "favoritism" towards people who aren't minors are simply because adults are more comfortable writing with other adults rather than with children - especially when the roleplay focuses on more mature themes. Honestly, I don't think you'll have much of an issue finding partners solely because of your age. I was a minor when I first joined the site and had no issue finding partners and I never once hid or lied about my age. This site is full of other minors and even some young adults who may be interested in roleplaying with you, so I assure you your age is hardly the issue.

You need to put the work into finding partners. Like someone said earlier, post an interest check. Don't lie about your age or even hide it - be upfront about it. If you provide enough information about what you're looking for, you're bound to find a partner eventually.

Yeah I don’t ask my partners age nor care how old they are. So I don’t think you being a minor is as big an obstacle as you might think.

Looking at the interest check you posted. I wouldn’t mention your previous site, instead list the interests you have. It will make your interest check more accessible. I also wouldn’t complain about being a minor. Your interest check is for getting new partners not for venting about peeves.

Here is an example of a more streamlined search.

About Me
- I’m a minor
- I write x paragraphs/words per post
- I can reply X days a week
- I can do (pairing type)
- I won’t do ( what won’t you roleplay )

About You
- Please be able to write X words/paragraphs per post
- Please reply X days a week
- (optional) Help me come up with plots
- (optional) Let me know if you need to leave

My Interests
- Sonic
- Witches
- (Add more interests here)

If you have specific plots you can add them under interests. If not just post a list of all the things your interested in.

Also be patient. You joined on Wednesday that’s only three days ago. It can take weeks to months to find good partners. It has nothing to do with your age and is just how this site works.

I’m in my 30s and have been on this site specifically for at least two years. I can go months between partners because I get busy or my partners have to go on hiatus due to work/school/etc.

So I wouldn’t panic if you don’t get a response from the first few people you ask. This is a big site and there are a lot of diverse people on it. Your bound to find a partner eventually.

I think people mostly gave the recommendations I would already, so I'll just put in a small add-on: People starting out in site's like this, especially those who are (relatively) new to roleplaying often come with fandoms almost exclusively. Unless your fandom is extremely mainstream among the community though, you are quite likely out of luck, they tend to be too niche to garner much interest.

Of course, do still try! Who knows, you might actually come across someone who wants to do it. However, you can also pull a little trick where you create an original plot that is similar to whatever fandom you'd like, but without being anchored to the universe or characters of that fandom necessarily. It's essentially a Rip-off, but it might let you play out something which still interests you by virtue of at least being similar to your fandom, while not requiring someone be a fan of the fandom in question to participate.

Best of luck and happy RPing!

I've been roleplaying since I was a minor too. I joined this site when I was 14 (I am now 19) but I never had issues with finding a partner. Mainly because of the sort of stuff I used to roleplay back then. However, I come back and some of the stuff I'm into is pretty niche so I feel your pain in not being able to find a partner. Being into small fandoms sucks ass lol

Here are my methods.

Step 1: Don't.

I have to force myself to get into the same interests as people just to get into a roleplay.

See? Don't force it. Just throw yourself at the RP, RP a lot, and over time you make friends through RP. You can try to get them into your thing or you'll find them naturally into the thing you're into.

Alternatively, bring people into the RP community - people whom you know are already into the thing you're into.

A little note: This failed tremendously for me because my friends on my main community do not fancy RPing, and those who do, well... they're complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back