World Building How do I create a Town?

BackSet

Ray of Sunshine
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I want to create a town. No, I do not want to found a town and be a mayor. I mean I want to create a fictional town. Maybe there's a surrounding fantasy world but the town is the main setting. Any advice for creating a town?

Make it somewhere that could actually plausibly exist. I recommend looking up things like "fantasy town map" and examining some of the maps that fiction cartographers have produced. They usually put in a lot of detail on things like local geography and buildings, and occasionally label neighborhoods. Oughta give you a good idea for what sort of things a town would have, and you can write up information from there.

The key to any and all worldbuilding is consistency. Everything else comes attached. Now, what is consistency? It is harmony of the content of the world corresponding to it's own internal logic and expectable consequences. While the first part is just common sense, the key to great worldbuilding is on that second part.

First, good worldbuilding will take that you remain loyal to what you've previous worldbuilt. If you establish the magic system works in a certain way, adding exceptions breaks your worldbuilding. If in your world dragons can't fly, then a winged dragon is broken worldbuilding.

The second part, consequences, is a little bit more complex in that it's not as clear when it's been done enough or too much. The phrasing of this principle as I first heard it was "If it's cheaper than having the donkey do it, what happens to the donkey?". If everyone in your world can just magically generate light, what happens to candlemakers and the candle industry? They probably wouldn't exist. Therefore the world shouldn't have candles in that case, nor even know the concept.

Applying this to make the town, ask yourself a few questions:
*What are the general rules of the world I am setting up
*Who inhabits this town and why?
*Where is this town and how does that affect it, especially in what the town lives from and sells?
*Are there any cultural aspects to this town?

After you answer those, start examing the consequences. Imagine how it all came to be and how it affects people's lives.

Beyond that it's a matter of knowing what a town would need and distributing it across a map.

Hope this is helpful! Good luck and happy Rping!

Consider the town’s “point.” Like why is it where it is, or even useful? Chances are, there’s something useful about the land where the town is. For instance gold, iron, copper, etc in the hills, or it’s a natural harbor, or a strategic crossroads, or has forests to exploit, or animals to trap for fur, or lots of fertile land. Something that drew people to gather and set up shop—or industry—there. Something that draws migrants, visitors, etc. Even cultural or religious significance could be good enough. Like it has a grand temple or holy site or something that people reliably pilgrimage to, and the pilgrims need places to spend the night, eat, get supplies, talk with people over a pint.

This could help determine the very layout of the town, and give some ideas on its history. Possibly give you ideas about it’s size too.

You might try drawing out maps of concepts for towns on paper. It wouldn’t have to be fancy or too detailed, but perhaps think about street layout and hierarchy (for instance is it built along a major road in the region/nation? Or on a smaller local route?), districts, landmarks, it’s overall shape relative to the terrain (for instance if on hilly land it might be more “wavy” than a grid town on flat land).

Do you have any idea what you'd like to accomplish with this roleplay?
I don't know if you remember but a little while back I made a thread (which I'm pretty sure you replied too) about the idea of a slice of life roleplay in what was basically the equivalent of a starting town in your average rpg. At the time I had no idea how to accomplish that but taking the advice from said thread I am now pretty sure about what to so. I just need to create a setting.

I don't know if you remember but a little while back I made a thread (which I'm pretty sure you replied too) about the idea of a slice of life roleplay in what was basically the equivalent of a starting town in your average rpg. At the time I had no idea how to accomplish that but taking the advice from said thread I am now pretty sure about what to so. I just need to create a setting.
That sounds familiar. So standard fantasy (magic, medieval, etc) but with a slice of life bent rather than adventure?

And what kind of tone are you hoping to capture? Fun and fanciful? Intriguing and dramatic? Or something else?

What sorts of intrigue are you imagining and what are the stakes?
To quote a post you made in the original thread where I asked for help with executing the concept
In order to ensure something to work towards for everyone I would require two "predicaments" at character creation. One major & one minor. For instance, an innkeeper might be drowning in debt (major) while being tormented by a cantankerous newcomer who keeps coming back for evening drinks (minor).

So you're leaning towards that idea? I would classify my predicament examples as more dramatic than fun or fanciful, especially the drowning in debt. If you go that route I recommend making sure your characters' predicaments are similar in terms of their tone and stakes.

In respect to story and plotting, what do you plan to oversee and introduce as the GM?

So you're leaning towards that idea? I would classify my predicament examples as more dramatic than fun or fanciful, especially the drowning in debt. If you go that route I recommend making sure your characters' predicaments are similar in terms of their tone and stakes.

In respect to story and plotting, what do you plan to oversee and introduce as the GM?
Largely dealing with NPCs as well as overseeing the locations and their effects.

So you and your NPCs will mostly be reactive rather than proactive when it comes to story direction?
Well, actually both. For example, with the inkeeper example you gave above, while the innkeeper os doing his job as an innkeeper, I might take control of the annoying drunk newcomer NPC or, while he's at home, I could take control of the debt collector and have him pay the innkeeper a visit to warn him about how his time to pay the debt is running out. And, of course, the reactive stuff is obvious.

Well, actually both. For example, with the inkeeper example you gave above, while the innkeeper os doing his job as an innkeeper, I might take control of the annoying drunk newcomer NPC or, while he's at home, I could take control of the debt collector and have him pay the innkeeper a visit to warn him about how his time to pay the debt is running out. And, of course, the reactive stuff is obvious.
I consider all that reactive. Its conflict seeds planted by the players. Whereas proactive would be conflict brought in by you, without any input or setup from your players. For example, having an NPC secretly poison the sheriff and then seeing how your players respond.

I ask this because in my estimation a proactive GM probably should have a lot more fleshed out NPCs than a reactive GM. The more you want/need to push the story, the more depth and understanding you'll need out of your NPCs.

Tone is similar in that respect. A lighthearted and fanciful town will likely require less detail and history than a dramatic and intrigue-rich town.

I consider all that reactive. Its conflict seeds planted by the players. Whereas proactive would be conflict brought in by you, without any input or setup from your players. For example, having an NPC secretly poison the sheriff and then seeing how your players respond.

I ask this because in my estimation a proactive GM probably should have a lot more fleshed out NPCs than a reactive GM. The more you want/need to push the story, the more depth and understanding you'll need out of your NPCs.

Tone is similar in that respect. A lighthearted and fanciful town will likely require less detail and history than a dramatic and intrigue-rich town.
I'll probably go for the latter because lore is my favorite thing.

That's good to know. These questions that I've asked you are the first step in my world building process. Before I dream up any lore, geography, or NPCs I need to know exactly what I want to accomplish with the setting.

In your case it sounds like you're aiming for a lore-rich, medieval fantasy town, percolating with intrigue, with opportunities for lighthearted interactions and fun story arcs. That's a difficult recipe to properly cook, but it's achievable.

There's no concrete, formulaic method that is the end all-be all, but this is what I personally do in descending order:
*Geography & Climate: The geography and weather of a region will decide the layout of the settlement, and narrow the scope of what their trade elements will be. Is it near mountains, large bodies of water, a river, or is it more pastoral? Is it in a frontier or border region?
*Reason For Being: Is it a mining town, lumber town, caravan waystation,trade hub, fishing village, or something else? Why did the people settle here, of all places? Especially important to consider if the settlement is located in a particularly unwelcoming/hostile environment.
*First Founding: Who was the individual credited as "The Mother/Father of Blanktowne"? Are they revered or reviled? Are they known throughout the region, or are they a local folk figure?
*Notable Events: I usually roll a d12 for the number of notable events. I tend to make them something that left a mark on the town, something that could impact architecture, clothing styles, genetic demographics, and/or holidays.
*Beliefs: Local religion and folklore. Are they in line with the greater kingdom/empire's beliefs? Or are they more extreme, or even heretical in their beliefs?
*Important Figures: Pretty self explanatory. Who is the mayor? The town doctor? The innkeep? Are there powerful (possibly feuding) families in charge of the local trades a la Hatfields and McCoys?
*Presently: What is the present bushel of problems the town is dealing with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back