Advice/Help How Do I Create A Roleplay?

The Lonely Astronaut

How Do I Create I Roleplay?
Hello! I'm a fairly new member here, and I'd like to create a roleplay. But I don't know exactly how to do it. I'm just going to write down the questions I have and see if anyone's willing to help me. (Which I'm sure there is, 'cause everyone's seems like real nice people here.)

1. What are all the different categories? Which ones do I need to use?
I'm talking about the different categories found when you for example enter the Realistic or Modern Roleplays, "Out of Character Chat", "Characters", "Extra Pages".

2. How do I write a good plot?
I have the basic idea in my head, I just can't get it out on paper. Which is extremely frustrating.

3. How do I make my roleplay look as attractive as possible?
Any general guidelines?

These are my questions, I hope someone can answer them. Thanks in advance! =)

How Do I Create I Roleplay?
Hello! I'm a fairly new member here, and I'd like to create a roleplay. But I don't know exactly how to do it. I'm just going to write down the questions I have and see if anyone's willing to help me. (Which I'm sure there is, 'cause everyone's seems like real nice people here.)

I'm talking about the different categories found when you for example enter the Realistic or Modern Roleplays, "Out of Character Chat", "Characters", "Extra Pages".

I have the basic idea in my head, I just can't get it out on paper. Which is extremely frustrating.

Any general guidelines?

These are my questions, I hope someone can answer them. Thanks in advance! =)
All I can do is tell you about the first, and then maybe help with the second if you wanna try and PM me.
Out of Character chat is when you need to talk to the other role-players out of character to discuss actions, express frustrations, and/or hang out. You have to post an OOC chat thread.
Characters is where you post the character sheet thread with a character sheet and then they'll fill it out with the character they want to RP as.
Extra pages is where you post stuff that doesn't go anywhere else; maybe lore that you don't want to add to the main RP thread.

Realistic or Modern role-plays and the like are all different role-play categories. If you're role-playing a space-themed RP, it'll go in science fiction. If you're roleplaying a modern slice-of-life, it'll go in realistic or modern. If you're roleplaying as a Star Wars character just living an everyday life, it'll go under fandoms.
If you mesh your rp, i.e. having fantasy invade realistic or modern, just pick to the best of your ability.
If the city takes up more of the (planned) plot than the fantastical beasts, then it's a realistic or modern with fantasy elements. If the portal opens and the city is swallowed up into a fantasy world, then it's a fantasy with realistic or modern elements.
And if it has a fictional character from a fandom, it's automatically a fandom role-play.

So the genres have definitions underneath them in the when you click on them but here's a run down
One on One (1x1)
Roleplays that are private and are typically open to only one or two specific players that are invited to the game. Roleplayers are required to get an author's approval before being allowed to join these roleplays.

Fandom
Roleplays containing pre-written or fan-created settings or characters of certain books, video games, movies or other franchises.

Fantasy
Roleplays containing fantastic or whimsical settings that are not grounded in real life. You can expect roleplays with magic, mythical creatures and worlds entirely unlike our own in this category.

Realistic or Modern
Roleplays containing settings that are very similar to the real world. These settings still might have some minor fantasy or futuristic elements in them, but they are not the focal point of these roleplays. You can expect this category to be associated with games revolving around slice-of-life, historical fiction, detective dramas and superhero stories.

Futuristic
Roleplays containing settings with more advanced technology and societies than in real life. You can expect roleplays in this category to be associated with science fiction, space travel, cyberpunk, and extraterrestrials.

There are other genres but I wouldn't tackle them as a first time GM. You can simple click on their individual names to be given a definition. It will be at the top of the page.

Out Of Character Pages - This is where you make a thread for your players to talk to one another outside of the main roleplay thread

Character Pages
- this is where your roleplayers will put their character sheets

Extra Pages
- This is just general extra threads. Like if you have alot of lore for your roleplay or some kind of dice mechanics that people need to role, etc. Really any thread that is related to your roleplay that isn't a IC Thread ( where the roleplay takes place ), OOC ( where your players talk ) or Character ( where the character sheets go ) would be placed here.​

Well this sort of depends on what kind of roleplay you want to have. There are three basic categories of roleplay on this site...

Simple - Simple Roleplays are games for people who just want to roleplay and for people that are not interested in meeting post requirements. That means within simple roleplays, players are not expected to meet a post length requirement (posts can be varying lengths) and players can expect an easy process of joining the game in terms of character creation and understanding the setting/plot.​

Casual
- Causal Roleplays are games for people who are interested in improving their roleplaying abilities. Casual Roleplays expect posts that are about a paragraph (1+) long minimally. Players joining a Casual Roleplay are also expected to be interested in developing the roleplay’s plot, add details to their characters and possibly even add to the setting of the roleplay.

Detailed - Detailed Roleplays are games for people who are interested in improving both their roleplaying abilities and their writing abilities. These games expect posts that are at least three plus (3+) paragraphs long. Players within a detailed roleplay are expected to develop the roleplay’s plot, add details to their character and the setting regularly throughout their posts, as well as pay close attention to their own individual writing/grammar in their posts.

So how you will create a plot will be based on the kind of roleplay you want to run.

Use paragraph breaks and bold individual headlines. The rest is really just a matter of personal taste.

Example

The Plot
blah blah blah the plot is here

The Rules

1. rule thing here
2. rule thing here
3. rule thing here

and whatever other headers you think will be needed.

Also to clarify the genres on RPN are based on setting. So for instance if your roleplay is about humans in a made up world than it's going to be Fantasy or Futuristic depending on if it's just totally made up from scratch ( fantasy ) or has futuristic elements of our world ( futuristic )

If a roleplay takes place in a version of our world ( modern day, historical, alternate time-line ) than it will be realistic/modern regardless of whether or not there are magical or superhero elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back