Advice/Help How do I carry out a government without exactly glamorizing it?

AstroBeans

Creative Pyromaniac
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I am having trouble with writing an certain type of government. I know if I have these problems with planning and writing it, I am probably going to have problems roleplaying in the government's environment. For example, one of the countries I am making has a fascism government.

The best way to do it is to show.

Show what people think of it. Who benefits from it, who doesn't.

Instead of saying "This country is repressive," show how certain minority groups are openly subjugated in the streets. Instead of saying "There's bad economic disparity," have a scene where there's an entire shanty town of beggars, meanwhile just a few blocks away, there's a lavish party for the elite of society.

The best way to do it is to show.

Show what people think of it. Who benefits from it, who doesn't.

Instead of saying "This country is repressive," show how certain minority groups are openly subjugated in the streets. Instead of saying "There's bad economic disparity," have a scene where there's an entire shanty town of beggars, meanwhile just a few blocks away, there's a lavish party for the elite of society.
Thank you for the advice.

Also remember that no one thinks their the bad guys. So even if you have a facist government the people within that government are unlikely to view themselves as fascists or if they do it isn’t seen as a bad thing.

So in addition to showing the disparity ask yourself why it exists and why people support it. Again who is benefiting and why // who is being scapegoated and why.

Should be easy. Fascism is inherently bad, so there’s loads of way to show that it isn’t the paradise that is displayed in glorified Nazi, Soviet, Chinese, or DRK propaganda.

If it’s a fascist government, show the oppression. Show how the government takes the rights of the average citizen away leaving only the fat aristocrats on top in good condition to live happily and do whatever the hell they want.

What you’re probably not going to want to do is describe it as a paradise. Explore the parts of the nation that you know this fascist government of yours that you’re creating would NOT want people to see or know about.

Thank you all for the advice. I will use y’all’s for the many types of government because there are many flaws in a lot of government types. Nothing is absolute paradise.

I don't really have anything to add as far as advice goes, but I like that you're exploring this. I love exploring these types of themes in my writing as well so props to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back