Advice/Help How do I actually get an RP going?

Resting Witch Face

breaking the laws of physics medieval style
Almost all of my original work on this site barely gets past the set up phase, and even if I'm lucky enough to get three or four people to post character sheets, it'll surely fizzle out once I get tired of reminding people that they are supposed to post. After maybe my fifth attempt trying to keep a group together and posting semi-regularly, it's just becoming too much work and wrangling for a side hobby. I want to write a story that people will like, but I just can't seem to get the chance. Maybe I'm just unlucky, sure, but I know there are people here who have been doing this longer than I have. I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

You are probably doing nothing wrong.
It's matter of time, luck, and failing forward. Every RP that dies or interest check that goes nowhere, I find one more player worth keeping in touch with.
Then I eventually invite those people to same RP and it normally lives for a year or two, or actually ends.
Building a group who are willing and interested, who vibe with your ideas and style, is the main way to get anywhere.

Agreed. Luck is certainly a part of it. Sometimes people don't even see your posts because there are so many being made at a time yours gets lost or player have other priorities. Your story can be great, but people will be people.

I, personally go out of my way to look for 0 reply post or old post with little to no activity for this reason. I would rather not compete with a group and I'm curious why this one post is overlooked. Might be fun!

Group RPs are very difficult to manage. The more people you have in a group RP, the harder it will be to deal with time zones, schedules and everyday life.

If your goal is to write a story without having to worry about GM duties, look into 1x1s. It’s much less demanding to communicate, stay on the same wavelength, and come up with ideas with one other person instead of multiple.

At least that’s my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back