Advice/Help How can I not be Redundant?

JupiterGirl

Queentendo
I'd love to have a nice RP, but coming up with a new plot each time is kinda difficult for me, and I know that a lot of people are tired of the "high school romance" stories. I was wondering if there was some way for me to, like, open my third eye and gain some creativity to make better plots?

Practice. I have no actual system myself for making an RP, but I've been online and tabletop RPing since I was 10. Stuff just kinda comes to me, and if I like it I write it down. It might be beneficial for you as a beginner to collaborate with others to write an RP together. Branch out, play a lot of genres. Don't stick to just one-on-one or DM-based RP's. Switch it up.

I see I see. I'll try and start by piggybacking off of others and then try and use that to make some of my own. Thanks!

Ah, I said it in a weird way. I meant piggybacking in the sense of having them "guide" me? Like, I'd contribute as well but I wouldn't be the pushing force. Basically, I'd be learning from watching them RP with me and kinda adapting, if that's the correct term.

Well, most ideas aren't actually original. There is hardly gonna be a time when you can just some come up with a new idea on demand without taking it from somewhere else, though there are afew strategies I use thta hopefully will be useful to you:
1.Adapting- the simplest idea I can offer is to simply transfer contents from media you consume (books, tv, anime, ...) and turning giving your own unique spin and take on the same premise or setting. There is also the inverse of this, which can either be a parody or a deconstruction of the original idea, the first which makes fun of the original consumed media but giving it a ridiculous element, and the second which transfers the idea into a more realistic and dark/gritty tone.

2.Merging- Similar to the first one but this one can really take form anything. Merging is a specialty of mine, I often say and it is merely the act of taking two distinct things, finding what they have in common and uniting them into one connected new thing. It'll come out a bit messy often but if you take time to iron it out, you can find it is really satisfying to pull mutliple ideas that otherwise would have to be separate. It is also very useful when you have a partner who you want to work with but don't know if you have the right plot for them. Ask them a few questions to try to figure out what they like, then try to create a merged plot with both of your tastes in the spotlight.

3.Worldbuilding- Sometimes starting with the plot isn't the way to go. Perhaps it would be better to start with the setting instead. Doing this will give you the opportunity to have a created world to explore and may inspire an actual world while you craft an interesting world that by itself is unique and interesting. This is a personal favorite of mine, being that I am passionate about worldbuilding.

4.Exploring a theme- lastly, though this one is a bit more tricky and can easily fall apart if you don't quite in-depth with it, is the concept of creating a lot around the attempt to explore a theme. I advise choosing your parnters carefully for this one, as it can lead to controversial conversations, but this when you take a theme you want to explore- philosophical, in regards to writing, about the problems in society or whatever else- and youcreate a plot that lets you put that theme into the spotlight and exploring it's every loose end. Again, it's risky and tricky to use this one, but it can also be one of the most fascinating things you will ever find yourself writing.

Ah, I said it in a weird way. I meant piggybacking in the sense of having them "guide" me? Like, I'd contribute as well but I wouldn't be the pushing force. Basically, I'd be learning from watching them RP with me and kinda adapting, if that's the correct term.

if plotting or world building aren't your strong suits i might try swimming around the 1x1 pond for a little while. These are roleplays that work precisely because it's two people enhancing each other's individual strengths or weaknesses for a shared experience.

Me I'm great a coming up with initial premises but I'm not so great at always turning those into concrete plots that keep the action moving forward with purpose. So in 1x1s I find it helps if I have partners that sort of reign me in and keep me moving at a set pace.

Groups are usually better for people who have a clear idea beforehand and are willing to put in the time to make that idea accessible to other people and move it forward along some kind of path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back