• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Digital Houston Flag redesign

MsPolite

The Ass Kicking Beast woman
Howdy, I'm Ms.Polite and i love flags. Be it the History, the design, or its meaning. In fact i was able to learn about the N.A.V.A. which stands for the North American Vexillology Association. An organization that looks at american flags and deems whether they are of poor design or of good design following these guiding principles.

1. Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory…
  2. Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes…
  3. Use 2 or 3 Basic Colors. Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard color set…
  4. No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing on any kind or an organization’s seal…
  5. Be Distinctive or Be Related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections…
And after finding out the atrocity that is my cities flag (which i didn't know we had one) i took upon myself to redesign our great city of Houston's Flag.

first off here is an image of the current Houston flag, which in my opinion looks an awful lot like the Somalian flag.
rawImage.jpg

Now here are some of my redesigns, please tell my what you think if you'd like and if you have any questions please ask me.

1.Houston Flag OB V1.png

2.Houston Flag OB V2.png

3.Houston Flag OB V3.png

4.Houston Flag OB V4.png

5. Uh Houston....png

I'll review them one by one and give you my verdict I guess. One question though. Why the colour scheme of orange and blue?

1. I think this flag is a solid contender. It is not too complicated and it pertains the symbol of space travel pretty well. Out of 5 I would say it is a solid 3.5
  2. From a design standpoint, this flag seems to be the second best of the bunch in my opinion. The line following the star indicates movement and the star itself indicates space. My only gripe is with the simplicity as I can see a lot of ways a kid can just screw up while drawing this flag. But I think its good nonetheless. 4 out of 5.
  3. This is the simplest flag out of the bunch. But that does not necessarily mean that it is good. Although it is relatively unique in terms of flags, it just seems a little bit overdone in terms of how big the star is. It just doesn't fit. A star is but a mere part of the night sky, and a very small one at that. Making it appear this huge is just a no go. 2.5/5
  4. This design is the best in my opinion. The stars, the simple colours and the curve are all great. A child drawing this could screw up with it but I don't think that is a big issue at all. 4.5 out of 5.
  5. No. Just no. Firstly, I do not like the colour scheme that much. But my main gripe is with how the flag isn't abstract at all. Might not be the correct word but hear me out. The space ship being there, the ground being green the sky being blue and having a star are all nice and dandy. But this is something that a kid would draw and stick onto a fridge with a magnet. It's not adequate for a flag of a country or a flag at all and I think that I should be the last option at all costs. 1.5 out of 5.
Final Verdict:
If you are looking to focus on simplicity, I would say that the first option is the most simple one out of the bunch without sacrificing design. The best design is the fourth option with it being not as simple as the other options. If you are looking for a middle ground I'd say go for the second option. But overall, the fourth option is the best choice in my opinion.

I'll review them one by one and give you my verdict I guess. One question though. Why the colour scheme of orange and blue?

1. I think this flag is a solid contender. It is not too complicated and it pertains the symbol of space travel pretty well. Out of 5 I would say it is a solid 3.5
  2. From a design standpoint, this flag seems to be the second best of the bunch in my opinion. The line following the star indicates movement and the star itself indicates space. My only gripe is with the simplicity as I can see a lot of ways a kid can just screw up while drawing this flag. But I think its good nonetheless. 4 out of 5.
  3. This is the simplest flag out of the bunch. But that does not necessarily mean that it is good. Although it is relatively unique in terms of flags, it just seems a little bit overdone in terms of how big the star is. It just doesn't fit. A star is but a mere part of the night sky, and a very small one at that. Making it appear this huge is just a no go. 2.5/5
  4. This design is the best in my opinion. The stars, the simple colours and the curve are all great. A child drawing this could screw up with it but I don't think that is a big issue at all. 4.5 out of 5.
  5. No. Just no. Firstly, I do not like the colour scheme that much. But my main gripe is with how the flag isn't abstract at all. Might not be the correct word but hear me out. The space ship being there, the ground being green the sky being blue and having a star are all nice and dandy. But this is something that a kid would draw and stick onto a fridge with a magnet. It's not adequate for a flag of a country or a flag at all and I think that I should be the last option at all costs. 1.5 out of 5.
Final Verdict:
If you are looking to focus on simplicity, I would say that the first option is the most simple one out of the bunch without sacrificing design. The best design is the fourth option with it being not as simple as the other options. If you are looking for a middle ground I'd say go for the second option. But overall, the fourth option is the best choice in my opinion.

I want to say thank you to the review, i really appreciate it and enjoyed reading the reviews. Now to answer your question on why the color scheme and i will also tell you the symbolism behind the star as well.

Orange and Blue together evokes a sense of loyalty, and generally stands for good natured and loyal friendship. Which the Name Texas in fact means Friend. Blue stands for Houston's well renowned medical district as well as science in general (think nasa), orange stands for our culinary prowess (fun fact most Houstonians eat out like over 70% of the time) and our love for the Restaurant industry and food. White stands for our goodness and southern hospitality. And the four pointed star was used for
1. to be distinctive
2. to represent our four core strengths. Culinary, Science and Oil/Gas industry capital and Opportunity.
3. it represents space and the future and/or progress and how we will be apart of it.

Now of all the flags i would say are my favorite are 2 and 4. And actually i i believe all the flags are quite simple in comparison to many other flags around the world and states.
lastly i have one last design that i think is the most distinctive

Houston Flag OB V5.png

You sure you entered the image properly? But anyway, I think that it would be tied with option number 2. I am in love with the fourth flag at this point and it would take absolute perfection to take my mind off of it.
lol yes i entered it right, its supposed to be longer but thinner xD and i like the 4 too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back