• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

"Horrors of the Red Cathexus!" Take two!

Thorn gives it his best, but is unable to reach the ceiling and any other potential treasure.

The Troglodytes, still cowed in fear, respond to Cortova's interrogations:

"We clutch. only six of us come here from deeper below to hunt goblins, easy prey. In sandy cavern we catch them off guard, or in the caves north of sandy cave we sometimes catch them -- big fight between hobgoblin, bugbear, orc, and goblins -- we catch stragglers and eat them. Caves north of here full of humanoids.... to many for clutch. Always falling arrows, too."

"Far west is stronghold of goblins. We want to eat all goblins but defenses and goblin dogs numerous."

"South of sandy caves are pits of the grit-toads. Also good hunting, one of deepest pits leads deeper in underdark. Please do not smite us. All we know."

The goblin controlled by Abrather dropped from above behind the troglodytes. It spoke in its harsh elder tongue.

"Make. Troglodytes. Servants. Cortova. Use. Guards. Cistern. Pay. Food."

The meaning of what Vasilissa said was to make the the troglodytes the personal entourage of Cortova and to use them as guards for the cistern, where they would be paid in food. Perhaps these troglodytes could gather the remaining 4 of them and serve us in their entirety. Goblins may be large in number but the troglodytes are much stronger, and with training could rival all the goblins.

Cortova hums, taking all of their suggestions into consideration. She looks back to the troglodytes. “Very well then. You and your clutch will serve us from now on. You will be fed well, and trained to be more effective.” She says calmly, leaving no room for argument. “I’m sure whatever leader you might have will find that agreeable.”

She doesn’t mention the fact that they’ll probably be hosts in the near future. And probably be killed after that. They’ll be useful for as long as their pathetic minds are needed, so she has better make them think they have something to look forward to, a life of being fed well, and becoming stronger. She looks at the living goblin, and her lip pulls back in a look of distaste. “For now, we will take care of the goblin defenses.” She says, and goes in to claim the goblin as her host.

Cortova slides into the remaining goblin like it were a ratty coat -- but the Trogs would rather some goblins suffer the fate of possession then they imagine it for themselves.

"We will go to the clutch, tell leader your offer. We meet at the goblins -- we see how well we are fed and how the mistress deals with goblin defenses."

With that, the Trogs with a sense of relief flee the cistern and into the sandy cavern. Whether they are fleeing for good or plan to return in force was unknown for now...

"You should have given them a reason to come back and aid us, the word of these creatures is as thin as their blood" Veil said softly as he walked passed Cortova "It would be a good idea to plan for their eventual attack against us. However, it will take them some time to return and the Goblins are the more direct threat. Their scouts won't be returning unless you'd rather we perform for them" he scoffed at the thought even as he said it. Possessing them was one thing, but pretending to be them was a bit beneath them as higher beings.

Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

The Abrather relayed the information that it had discover whilst scouting to the other horrors. Mainly the fortifications of the goblins, which was a zigzagging path up a cliff that was heavily guarded. Vasilissa also relayed the information of the giant toads and the path that lead to the goblins' home with running into minimum danger. The Abrather also had a few options of plans to enter the goblins base.

1) Direct assault, high chance of failure.

2) Destruction of fortifications using burrow abilities.

3) Disguise as goblins returning from destroying trash, one person can be the face of the group using memories to make a consistent alibi. Reason for returning late can be the shinies found. Unknown what to do once in the goblins' home.
Seraph Darkfire Seraph Darkfire Eliasdagood Eliasdagood SpiralErrant SpiralErrant Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon Daimao Daimao

The Gluttonous One for once now longer gurgled (laughed?) with his speech as the serious conversation took him a minute to think. He then said in a raspy voice or whatever you would call the noises a living plant would make "I like the sound of the second one particularly... let the fools fight among themselves. Goblin against those Troglodytes... whoever wins the fight will be heavily weakened for us to swoop in and subjugate with force. The third option..." The Gluttonous began to gurgle once again "It would be amusing to attempt to infiltrate the key leadership of the Goblin tribe and use the pending attack from the Troglodytes as a unifying ordeal for the goblins. While it might not be easy as the second choice... I cherish the idea of the goblins worshiping us at their own whim. We could demand monthly blood sacrifices to feed the crystal AND THEY WOULD BE HAPPY TO DO SO!" The Gluttonous One bubbled, laughing at the idea of the foolish mortals worshiping the horrors as their "saviors".

Cortova is not happy with this form at all, her lip curled back from her jagged teeth in disgust as she looks down at these hands. “Ugh. If there isn’t a bath in my near future, someone is going to suffer for it.” She hisses, hating the voice as well.

She looks to the Gluttonous one, and smirks. “I couldn’t agree more. Whether or not those beasts have the sense to obey me, they’ll want the goblins in their bellies enough to show up. And if we give them what they want, the entire nest as easy pickings, they’ll want more. I’m sure they’ll have the sense to kneel to us after that. Whichever way we do this, we will have valuable slaves.”

Thorn scrambled and struggled before finally sliding down the steep stone walls with a groan, like a house cat that had been defeated by a stubborn set of curtains. Common sense would say that he should just try again, but Thorn's attention span would not stand for that! The others were discussing plans and schemes for taking over these caves like big bosses, and the greed built into the goblin mind he'd consumed was very interested in these ideas as it immediately set to imagining lizards and goblins falling at Thorn's feet.

"I like those last two..." Thorn said absentmindedly. Then his mind sparked back into gear as he pondered the idea of bribing their way into the goblin camp with the new treasures. "Oh oh oh, new friends, I have an idea! What if we do the third thing? A-and we give them the shiny treasures... and we give them ME!" And with a swell of pride at his smartness Thorn lifted his hand and pointed at the grim iron ring on his finger that was himself.

"Tell the goblin chief I am magic ring - cus I am - and then they put me on a-a-and I can tell all the goblins to guard here and kill stuff we want!" Oh Thorn was getting excited now.

They had finished their discussion to make the plans. Vasilissa filled her backpack with the valuable shells and stones to bring to the goblin fortress. The Abrather would lead the group of disguised horrors to the goblin battlements. They would follow the path that was scouted before, making detours if necessary to avoid dangers. Killing a lone bat might be done if the opportunity occurred.

(Stealth, Perception)

The path to the goblin battlements was uneventful— the abrather followed a similar path as before leading the band of horrors the way it had come, avoiding streams of water pouring through cracks in the ceiling that would eventually travel as rivulets to the cistern. Torches at the base of the trash slope had been lit, making sneaking further difficult. In the distance a conflict between one or more cave crabs versus giant sand toads echoed in the cavern...

Cortova could smell their fear -- the stone troglodytes were close, but were not revealing themselves...

Cortova chuckles, sensing the troglodytes. “It seems my gamble payed off. So either they like what I offered, or they fear being hunted down for refusal.” She whispers to the others. “So, which slaves do we take? I still want the troglodytes for future hosts, so my choice would be to feed them goblins until we can find a new food source. Those bats would do.” She suggests, looking around to see if she can find them, and see how many came to her call.

(Perception of nine.)

"It would be best to keep a certain number alive. A reproducing food source is the best" Veil said softly "The bats would be a good food source but given how much these Goblins seem to fear them, they'd also make good hosts. Their ability to fly would make it easier to get around the larger caverns. Domestication is always the best direction to go" if they had back-up hosts that were willing to be hosts for them, they'd always have a place to run to in the event they lost their current host, or jumping from a host good at hiding to a host good at smashing all in their way.

Cortova sees no sign of the Trogs nearby. The goblins however are vigilantly looking down from the battlements, and not seeing anyone.

The abrather noticed that besides not being very structurally sound, the surface of the trash-battlements was thoroughly cracked... a tiny creature could sneak up onto or even past the battlements without too much trouble... probably. Besides that the incline looked pretty secure.

Veil however noticed a rope thrown over one of the far sides of the battlements, it stank of urine and feces but it was another way up the battlements...

Last edited:
In the distant torchlight, a giant crab slowly picks its way towards the battlements where the party is hiding. Waving a claw in the air as if testing for scents, it makes it's way from one spot where water falls from the ceiling to the next. If the party doesn't take some action, this bottom-feeder may compromise the plans of the horrors if they care to get the element of surprise, or infiltrate.

The Abrather began setting up the plan. Vasilissa began placing cuts on the goblin body it inhabited and did the same with Cortova's body, the cuts would enhance the bluff that they were attacked by troglodytes, explaining the why only a couple goblins returned from the trip. The backpack of Darb was filled with the semi-precious stones and shells and took the ring that was Thorn to offer to a stronger goblin. The body Thorn inhabited would be left for the lurking troglodytes to eat. Cortova with her charisma would be the speaker of the bluff.

Veil decided to stick with the group. Their plan was the best option at securing their safety. He even allowed Vasilissa to damage its hosts body to ensure the ruse didn't fail. He'd noticed the rope but given its obvious use, he wasn't even going to attempt it. Had their situation been more desperate, he might have attempted it, but not at the moment. It was good to memorize the location though, just in case they needed to make a quick escape and the gates were closed.

With a sharp tug and the ripping of skin Thorn came loose, leaving behind a limp body and scorched mind.

'Weeeeee!' The silent voice of the ring went up, as it giggled to itself at the fleeting memories of cunning plans and all the fun it had had today. This was so much better than getting stuck in a devil's jewelry box!

Even now the faintest infernal flicker was beginning to dance its way across the ring's surface as Thorn began to remember their old power and come into this new one.

Cortova allows Valissa to cut her host, standing still to let her work. She’s excited to begin, hungering for the feeling of true domination. She hasn’t had the ability to truly feel in control of another since she was cast into the void, and now she just can’t get enough.

She’s annoyed that she can’t spot the troglodytes, but she knows they’re here, so she points to Thorn’s discarded form, smirking. “A bit to tide you over, while we secure the goblins. Be patient, and you’ll never go hungry again.” She says in undercommon, looking around for them.
(Diplomacy of 12 to get them to come out)

With fresh goblin flesh laying on he ground, shrouded in darkness a single Trog emerges from the darkness.

"Ghost Queen -- it is only I and one other -- the rest have heard of your drow-ness and decided to flee. We take goblin flesh and await your orders. We fear the ghost queen. We are good slaves -- do not destroy us."

With that, the Trog retreats back into the darkness, but Cortova knows that they are there... waiting for instructions... at least the ones that did not flee in terror.

The gluttonous one burrows into the sand and awaits some signal from the group.

The horrors disguised as goblins present themselves, and their story of being attacked by stone troglodytes but nonetheless having treasure for the chieftain.

It is easy to bluff past the battlements, the goblins being fearful of Trogs in the past and the evidence of wounds and treasure from the supposed conflict. The goblin dogs sniff leeringly at the party as they are lead past the outer defenses and into some kind of sewer chamber with a large grating on the floor and portcullis on four sides, the outer portcullis they come through is clearly broken, but the north portcullis has goblin guards behind it and the east and west portcullis obviously serve as kennels for packs of snarling and hungry goblin dogs. One level up, is a balcony where several goblins look down at the party, at the north side of the balcony at particularly rotund goblin squats more than sits on a "throne" made of garbage metal and shiny rocks draped in dog-fur. Beside him stands a goblin shaman of some kind, a withered old crone with only two teeth left in her giant head, but they are extremely large making her look like a rat.

The chieftain speaks "You suffer attack, but bring treasure. Explain and give!"

Darb placed the pack at the chieftains feet, filled with the shiny shells and stones and then Darb offered the thorny ring directly to the chieftain, in brief words explaining its a magic ring that increases one's strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back