• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Horrors of the Red Cathexus -- Take/Season three! (evil campaign/players-as-monsters)

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
Hey all you would be monsters and underlords!

My most recent RP "YOU ARE A GOD!" is wrapping up and I just thought I'd field an interest check for my next campaign, a reboot of sorts.

This is a call-back to a concept I ran semi-successfully on the paizo boards ages ago called "horrors of the red cathexus" -- the idea behind it being that instead of creating normal adventurers as protagonists, the players create a unique race/type of "body-snatcher" whether it be a possessing spirit, a cursed mind-controlling artifact, or even some form of parasite... players hijack the forms of creatures at first low in the dungeon hierarchy and attempt to climb up the dungeon food-chain with better and more powerful monster forms.

I'll post more about char/race creation and other details after getting an initial interest check but it will basically be a chaotic and/or evil based campaign which might be an interesting change of pace for some of us. The parasite characters are supposed to be weak/vulnerable outside of a host -- but losing your host form doesn't mean you have to die, you may even be able to steal the body of the thing that killed you!

Think of it as "The one ring" meets "John carpenter's the thing"

As I said I got enough established to run this game for a while in another forum, so I'll get into mechanics and concrete specifics if there is interest. (such as how to create a character)

I expect the game to have stats/information/maps and other vital information/events on RPN as well as perhaps freeform roleplay on discord in real time for people interested in that.

cathexis.png

BACKSTORY: Hidden from the eyes of the lands of men and elves, there are epics and heroes of evil as much as of good. This is one such story, behind the veil of the dark tapestry, and behind the veil of broken ground in the deepest underdark -- this is the story of the Red Cathexis, and the horrors it issued like a cancer unseen beneath the surface of the world of Golarion.
In 4606 AR, The same year that the world-wound began to open in response to the death of Aroden, the fabric between the prime material plane and that of the dark tapestry weakened. The unimaginable and horrible beings of that place looked covetously upon this new world, and dangers so hideous the simple minds of mortals cannot comprehend them, quickly set to work on encroaching there --
However small the rift, a hole, a pore even - cunning beings set to realizing how they could jump the breach into Golarion. The beings that came forth were in diametric opposition to the gods of golarion, light, order, and the very laws of nature. As such, to simply cross the breach was impossible -- a being from the dark tapestry would be rent from the world explosively as quickly as it arrived. Undeterred, the horrors of that dark place set to creating a device -- a vessel, that would enable at least a fragment of a being from the dark tapestry to enter this world. That object came to be known as "The Red Cathexis" -- No larger than a grain of sand at first, and carrying merely a scintilla of the trueforms of the beings that rode within it -- it burst into existence deep underground, somewhere between Ustalav, Belkzen and Lastwall -- and began to grow.
it is now 4713, and the Cathexis -- now little larger than a fist, is finally large enough to open and release it's forbidding cargo into the underworld. The beings within, such as they are, cannot exist indefinitely outside of a native host, and to be seen as they truly are by light of day or without such cover from the sight of the gods would destroy them utterly. They had forseen this. They were bodysnatchers -- Hijackers of the minds and corpses of mortal beings, and they would use the forms of beings in the underdark to hide their nature, mitigate their relative weaknesses, and embrace their strength.
Their individual motives and goals are unclear, but to be certain they cannot bode well for any being on Golarion. All that is clear for now is that they are hungry, covetous, and malign -- The Cathexis has finally opened -- and they will offend this world, only hesitating in the face of their own destruction -- or the Cathexis they must protect if they are to maintain their ties to this world...

And so it began...

Thank you for reading this and thank you for your interest!

-Beck

Last edited:
Interest thread is heating up! I'll give it a full day to advertise then I'll start posting character creation information/guide. If anybody has any questions feel free to post them here and we'll start moving forward tomorrow afternoon or so. :D

Around 6-8pm tonight I'll post loose guidelines for producing characters. (what types of bodysnatchers there are, some guidelines) also likely open up a discord for chatting and fielding questions in real time. Until then, sleep restlessly, horrors! <3

Also here is a map of the "known underworld" for players to gaze and ponder at... the starting position for the horrors will either be selected by majority vote by the players, or selected randomly if that proves too difficult/time consuming.

Megadungeon (6).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back