Horror games! Gimme your suggestions and list the ones ya like the most!

You ever hear of a gamecube game called sanity's requiem? The whole point of the game was the screw with the person playing. You would walk into a room and the woman you control would have her head chopped off, and then you would realize it wasn't real. A volume thing would appear and start turning down, to make you think someone was messing with your tv. The game even did this one thing where randomly after a big boss fight the screen would go black, and then an error screen would come up for a few seconds.

@IrritatedMind
You mean Eternal Darkness; Sanity's Requiem? A good suggestion if you're into Lovecraftian-style horror, and very meta scares.

Do you prefer the quiet, play in the dark games, or more horror/action? If it's the former I'd suggest Amnesia; the Dark Descent, and Amnesia; a Machine for Pigs, if you like spooky location exploring that turns into survival horror. I'm fond of the writing, even if it's quite flowery in places, and sometimes precisely because it is. If you're into existential horror and the sci-fi genre, SOMA is great; one of the best I've seen in quite a while.
You also need to get FEAR and System Shock into you if you haven't, they're two of the classics.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was an interesting one, with some high concept ideas even if I don't think they fully delivered.

There are loads that combine action elements, but there are an awful lot of clunky mechanics out there in otherwise solid games, and that can break immersion, for me anyway. Alan Wake laboured under this; I'd have loved a less fighty game there. The earlier Resident Evil games are entertaining in some of their terribleness, and I'm super fond of them. Outlast gets super gory in places, and they have a pretty intelligent use of violence, though some of the chasing gets a little repetitive. 

Spooky point and click puzzle adventures your thing?  Look up any of the Cube Escape flash game series by Rusty Lake, available free online. They're a small studio, and noticeably improve with each game they make. Until Dawn is combination choose your own adventure, slasher genre homage, where you alternate between multiple characters to survive the night. The Last Door is another choose your own adventure game, with very appealing pixel art and an interesting plot to follow.
If you like your horror a bit more Burton-esque, I cannot recommend Don't Starve enough, though my frightening amount of hours logged on it might suggest I'm biased.

Last edited by a moderator:
You ever hear of a gamecube game called sanity's requiem? The whole point of the game was the screw with the person playing. You would walk into a room and the woman you control would have her head chopped off, and then you would realize it wasn't real. A volume thing would appear and start turning down, to make you think someone was messing with your tv. The game even did this one thing where randomly after a big boss fight the screen would go black, and then an error screen would come up for a few seconds.

I was gonna recommend Eternal Darkness! I'm not one for horror games but I love that one. There are some really good sanity effects beyond those, but I won't spoil ;)

You should check out Haunting Ground for ps2. It's scary without being too scary to play. It's like a puzzle/horror game

Outlast is amazing, so I'd recommend that, though I wasn't as crazy about the DLC, I think the sequel will be amazing. Slenderman, the arrival, was one of my favorite let's plays to watch, there are so many indie games out there worth playing if you want a good scare, though. The original FNAF is great, but that's lost a bit of it's luster with all the attention. I wish I could suggest more, but I am a huge coward when it comes to playing these myself. 

Until Dawn is a good cliche horror, a little more light hearted, but still nerve racking if you're playing for 100% completion. Best of luck! 

Any Fatal frame is terrific. If you can get past that its always girls playing the main role, then its amazing. Trying to take a picture of a ghost and trying to get the fatal frame of it can be terrifying.

Fatal Frame is definitely worth getting into. My personal favorite is five, the newest one, and four- which is only in Japan.. But there are a lot of them out there. I also really enjoyed Haunting Ground, and Layers of Fear is nice too!

I find fatal frame to be horrifying to my mind since my mind can do some freak ass shit with the ideas in it. Hence I have to have a stuffed animal near me or have my iphone light on almost all night.

Vanish - Trust me. 

The game doesn't even have that many features, but the use of darkness is terrifying 

I had fun with Amnesia and Outlast... was looking forward to Silent Hills but, you know... ¬¬

Hellnight. Basically you play as an utterly normal guy who is being chased by a alien/lab experiment gone wrong who will kill you if he see's you and all you can do is run. Even hiding in a room doesn't work, as you can leave and he could be just outside and WHACK your dead. It gets pretty lovecraftian near the end so all in all a good game. I could go on but then I'd be here a while.

Hellnight. Basically you play as an utterly normal guy who is being chased by a alien/lab experiment gone wrong who will kill you if he see's you and all you can do is run. Even hiding in a room doesn't work, as you can leave and he could be just outside and WHACK your dead. It gets pretty lovecraftian near the end so all in all a good game. I could go on but then I'd be here a while.

Go on lass, share with the group...

Well this can't be suggested to download, because Konami completely took it down from the PSN, and it was P.T. It was good for a playable trailer for a game that would never be, and the atmosphere made it creepy and can easily make you jump when you least expect it, if you're not one of those people that can take jumpscares and other things like that. Despite you going through the same hallways over, and over, and over, and over again. Luckily I still have it on the PS4 I share with my husband, even after a hard drive transfer. One of the first things I made him download when we got our PS4 too. Made him freak out when I screamed in one o'clock in the morning playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Silent Hill games. There is definitely a jump factor there for me. I wish they would have continued the project for the new one.

Hopefully It pales In comparison to the new game he's working on; hopefully; It looks good, so there Is some hope.

I really enjoyed Dead Space, the gimmicks are fun and it's got a lot of jump scare to it.  Unfortunately the further you progress in the series the more of an action game it becomes. 

I really enjoyed Dead Space, the gimmicks are fun and it's got a lot of jump scare to it.  Unfortunately the further you progress in the series the more of an action game it becomes. 

I was gonna mention Dead Space ! just one and two though...as you say 3 gets a little too action-y for me..and it has such potential to be creepy...especially the emaciated necros

Though i'll also mention Siren: Bloodcurse...i've yet to be able to finish that game...glorious skin crawling fear and paranoia

I'm interested to hear System shock is a horror game...haven't played that

SOMA is a pretty darn amazing game. It's very beautiful, but horrifying at the same time. The story/backstory/plot is amazing. The graphics are amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The dramatic reveals aren't cliche. There are many parts that'll make you have mixed feelings.

As stated above, Until Dawn is also pretty damn good. About the same reasons in my opinion as Soma, but perhaps Soma a little bit more.

Little Nightmares isn't out yet, but it looks amazing already. It's one of these tense games. It looks horrifying, and there's this one part that I reckon has a Dianoga in it (not really).

would recommend CASE: Animatronics, but I'm not quite sure. The voice acting isn't that good, but that's not important. The ending is literally the most disappointing ending I have ever seen in a game before. I personally believe it's a little too expensive and doesn't offer nearly enough. There's also Subnautica, but I'm not sure if you'd consider it a horror game. I mean, it is if you're scared of the underwater, if not, then it's just pretty damn good, but without the horror part. I think The Park is also good, but I don't exactly know how I feel about it. Part of me thinks that one sequence (you'll know when you get to it) is way too long and tedious, and I also think the ending was kinda disappointing. Not much. But certainly not an ugly game; pretty well made actually.

There's Swamp Sim. It's a (free) Shrek game. I know how that sounds like, but believe it or not, I actually found it pretty surprisingly good, unlike most (if not all) other meme games (no matter how dank), and pretty intense. Night Blights is simply just amazing as well. I finished Night 2 I think (Tuesday ? Monday ? Not sure.), and part of me is dreading double-clicking on the app again. It's also free.

There's also Dead Realm, which is amazing in my opinion as well. It's multiplayer, Hide And Seek type game, and the fact that you are being hunted by an actual, thinking being (another player) makes it even scarier. Unless, of course, you're the hunter. But it's pretty damn neat nevertheless.

123 slaughter me street is a decent game as well in my opinion. I don't have much to say about this one, honestly.

There are Notes of Obssession and Layers of Fear as well, both very similar to Soma and Amnesia; at least from my point of view. There's Play With Me. I have only one word for that one: clowns.

Apparently, We Happy Few counts as a horror game. It is intense, I've to admit, and it's amazing. 100% recommend. I think Dead By Daylight is also pretty good as well. There's Blood And Bacon. You just shoot pigs. It's more action than horror, really. I also believe Emily Wants To Play is quite decent.

giphy.gif

Have a Dianoga.

Best horror games, listed out by a man who's obsessed with horror games

The Suffering- One of the first horror games I've ever played, and probably one of the best. Extremely underrated, the game perfectly balanced horror and action, as well as setting up a creepy atmosphere in a prison. Enemies are well thought out, each one requires a certain strategy to kill, and the morality system led to multiple endings and interesting situations that definitely made it worth while!

Dead Space 1: Gotta go back to the classic. This one reminded a lot more of the suffering with it's main enemies looking very similar to 'slayers' from the suffering. Anywho, the gameplay/combat is slightly slower in pace but the strategy required to kill enemies, resource management, and constant threat of being stabbed behind your back leads to an awesome feeling of paranoia. Plus, the idea of being stuck on a forsaken space ship where no one is coming for you builds up the perfect atmosphere.

Dead Space 2: Still good. Many complained that it seemed like the same game, but I feel it made many improvements. Giving the main character Isaac a voice ended up working out, and the space station the Sprawl was also a good idea. I didn't find it as scary, but I've been playing horror since I was nine so I'm pretty desensitized. One of the main things Dead Space 2 did right was it kept the horror element while adding in more action pieces, such as brand new armor, zero-G flying, and a few other things. I'd like to add Dead Space 3 to the list, but that's more action than horror in my opinion.

Slender- Simple, and effective. This is one of the few games that I can actually say scarred me at first. The previous three entries I found creepy, but not scary. Slender was a different case. So simple yet so dark, the perfect balance of paranoia and suspense. I found myself lost in the woods multiple times, moving as slow as possible hoping to avoid slenderman. Never have made it past 6 pages.

System Shock 2: One of my favorites for the last. I never actually discovered this game until this year, and it's the oldest entry on this list. BUT BOY HAS IT AGED WELL! The game is scary as hell, and I love every minute of it. This game not only is one of the best horror games of all time, but it's also one of the most innovative games of all time, being one of the first games to include physics in the game (Though they are simple). One of the perfect elements is the atmosphere: Two ships, stuck in the middle of space, a mystery going on in the ships. Not one force is working against you, but TWO. First enemies working against you is the strange infection called 'The Many', a parasite that takes over its host and generates crazy ass hive mind, creepy things that make me cringe with excitement. Secondly there is the classic enemy AI named Shogun, probably one of the best antagonist of all time. Manipulative, creepy, and behind the scenes. Plus, the RPG horror combo is a unique one that not many have tried to copy since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back