• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Hogwarts Years 1-7 Group RP | OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
I think we might be in a better position, too, if we have a discord for ooc instead of a thread; it's easier to keep in contact and compartmentalize ideas/plot. But I agree with Lucipurr Lucipurr —I think it's important with interest checks that you not only gauge the interest of folks, but also their ability to respond and their schedules. I think the four of us are a good little crew, so I think we can continue if everyone feels okay and we cool down and assess our path forward.
Edric Blight Edric Blight I have had plenty of experience in setting up roleplays, and I think you've done a good job with checking in with others; your strength has definitely been in communicating and being active. If you decide that you want to "restart" in any sense or would like to recruit more folks, I'm willing to help. I understand your frustration with this. I think most of us have been in this little rat race before and have experienced ghosting, but I think that sometimes people aren't immediately hit with inspiration (as Luci said), they get anxious and decide that the pace is too quick for them to insert themselves in time. I wouldn't get too insecure about the nature of the roleplay or your efforts—I think that you're doing well thus far, so now it's just about problem solving, patience, and empathy. (:

I think we might be in a better position, too, if we have a discord for ooc instead of a thread; it's easier to keep in contact and compartmentalize ideas/plot. But I agree with Lucipurr Lucipurr —I think it's important with interest checks that you not only gauge the interest of folks, but also their ability to respond and their schedules. I think the four of us are a good little crew, so I think we can continue if everyone feels okay and we cool down and assess our path forward.
Edric Blight Edric Blight I have had plenty of experience in setting up roleplays, and I think you've done a good job with checking in with others; your strength has definitely been in communicating and being active. If you decide that you want to "restart" in any sense or would like to recruit more folks, I'm willing to help. I understand your frustration with this. I think most of us have been in this little rat race before and have experienced ghosting, but I think that sometimes people aren't immediately hit with inspiration (as Luci said), they get anxious and decide that the pace is too quick for them to insert themselves in time. I wouldn't get too insecure about the nature of the roleplay or your efforts—I think that you're doing well thus far, so now it's just about problem solving, patience, and empathy. (:
Love this whole message but I do have to say no way to Discord, even just for OOC. I will never go back onto that site no matter what due to a MULTITUDE of personal reasons I’m not willing to get into now…

But as for the rest of what you said, I totally agree. Brilliantly worded.

I understand now that I made a mistake as a GM and didn’t really clarify my expectations for response times in the interest check and I didn’t really check what everyone’s schedule’s were like.

I think a lot of people signed up for this thinking it’d be a slow paced RP because I realize most group RPs on here do seem to be slow paced. But that’s not what I’m used to. I usually roll with faster paced RPs. This was a huge mistake on my part and I’ll take the blame.

I also do think we’ve got a great little group here with the four of us who actually have been communicative. I’d absolutely be willing to continue with you four if it gets down to that, granted you’d all be willing to continue even after all of my messages. I do think we all need to cool down, mostly me tho. Sorry.

But yea I’ll admit it’s been frustrating organizing this and trying to keep it going. I’m just so used to real life interactions where people can’t just hide behind a screen and disappear forever if they do please. I like talking, communication is ALWAYS key for me. But here on RPN, a lot of people can’t muster up the courage to talk and even just say “hey I was interested but now I’m not. I’m too busy.” That is something I need to get used to- not everyone is a communicative person and a lot of people use the shield of a screen and anonymity to protect themselves from social interactions and talking to people.

But like I said, this RP was never meant to be a “WRITE A NOVEL FOR EVERY POST, IF I DONT SEE 5 PARAGRAPHS ELOQUENTLY WORDED, YOUR ASS IS BOOTED!” I always hated those types of RPs. This is supposed to be fun, not a chore. So I do hope it’s not too hard to find motivation to write in such a casually and relaxed style RP.

In terms of restarting or even recruiting more people, I’m hesitant to. This whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth, ngl. I don’t think I’m cut out for GMing nor do I want to. I would be open to GMimg if we did decide to continue with the four of us (or even any more from the original cast who read this and wanna continue).

I do appreciate your words tho. Thanks. You’ve been great and I appreciate all of that. This has been a bit of a mess on my part so I do apologize for putting you all thru this.

I’ll answer this entirely. I appreciate the honesty and that you’re voicing your concerns. I was blunt, and I even said to be honest and harsh if needed, so I don’t mind the bluntness here. And I’ll also try to be as respectful as possible because I think you were in your message and aren’t trying to insult me here.

I’ll admit I am in no way experienced or a good GM AT ALL. This is my first time as you all can CLEARLY tell. I’m not too good at this and I’ll fully admit it. In hindsight, yea, maybe a time frame was the way to go. I was under the impression this would be more of a fast paced RP, it seemed others didn’t see it that way. I definitely should have specified.

To that point of my what you saw as degrading language, that comes from a bit of frustration not being able to rely on people to be honest with me and themselves. I don’t think it’s too hard to take a step back and analyze your life and assess whether or not you truly have the time to participate in a group RP or not due to being too busy. I also have classes everyday and papers to write, but I’d like to consider myself an adult and I don’t think it’s too hard for me to say “hey, I can’t really be doing this and saying I can devote my time to this,” or “hey, I think I can manage a healthy balance of my irl and RPN.” I’m semi-busy. I’ve got classes and papers to write and hockey practice every week, but I still manage to honestly assess myself and find some time for my hobby, writing on RPN. If I were swamped, I would have never started this RP.

To the next point, I guess I can attribute my actions to nothing more than just inexperience and a rookie mistake. I’m relatively new to this site and very new to GMing. When people aren’t honest with me and up front, I actually take it very personally. It’s why I hate it when people ghost or disappear. I’d rather be cursed out and told why someone is leaving and why they don’t like the RP so I can improve and learn from the experience and for next time. Honesty is great, which is why I appreciate your message. It doesn’t sugar coat things. I’m a flawed human and a bad GM, and there’s things I definitely can learn from more veteran RPers like you. That’s why I’m glad you pointed these things out so I can learn, rather than you just saying bye you suck and leaving.

Do I have a little feeling people don’t like the idea of the RP? Most definitely. How could you not be a little insecure about this stuff? Especially when people make character sheets, express a real interest, then totally dip and disappear. So if you want to paint it like “I’m insecure,” sure, if that helps you understand it. But I find it hard to believe this RP idea is good of it only manages to really keep like 3 people lol.

So that’s pretty much my take on that. I will 100% admit I’m a flawed human being and therefore a flawed GM. I am inexperienced, and it obviously shows. I’m very new to GMing and this is my first time hosting, so I’ll admit I don’t know everything about GMing. But I come from a place where we don’t sugar coat shit and we are honest- I’m used to people being communicative instead of saying “I’m interested and I wanna do this RP,” and then abandoning it because they can hide behind a screen.

And I’ll again stress that I’m not angry at anyone for being busy, I’m just disappointed some people decided to sign up for this and get my hopes up when they knew they have busy lives.

So that’s that I guess.
I appreciate your response and respectfulness, as that is what I was also aiming for. I have no intent to insult, I don't know what I'd gain from it if I did.

We all have to start GMing somewhere so it's perfectly fine that you're new. It's a learning experience for sure and no one ever gets it right the first, second, or even third time. It's better to be very open about your intent with an RP. Most people saw the words "casual" and did not expect it to be fast-paced. In fact, they expected the opposite (myself included). If you intend to have a fast-paced roleplay, definitely make that point clear in the future. Fast-paced and casual aren't often used together. When someone hears casual, they believe it's a roleplay they can take their time responding to. I just wanted to make sure you're aware of that!

People can definitely analyze their time but I have to disagree. Someone can gauge their schedule and still believe they have the time to participate. Additionally, just because you found the time to participate daily with your schedule doesn't mean someone else can at that moment. Life changes daily and schedules change just as often. I think the biggest issue with this current roleplay is that people gauged the time incorrectly because it wasn't mentioned that this was a fast-paced roleplay initially (my statement above).

I honestly believe the reason why it takes people so long to respond isn't because of their physical schedule, but their mental one. As I stated before in another post, the reasons I may not respond as much are simply because I lack motivation or I'm not in a good mental state. These are situations that people can't account for when accessing their schedules. A great recent example is when I ignored RPN for 5 days (just before this) because I just wasn't in the best mood to talk and didn't have the inspiration to write. Writing without inspiration is a PAIN and can 100% hinder someone's ability to respond.

I have nothing much to say to the rest of your statements. I don't believe you're inherently insecure. Everyone is flawed and everyone starts somewhere. Not everyone is upfront and honest. Most people may have found it interesting at the start and changed their minds later which is perfectly fine, not everyone is going to admit this either.

Beautifully worded, I agree with what you have to say.

Love this whole message but I do have to say no way to Discord, even just for OOC. I will never go back onto that site no matter what due to a MULTITUDE of personal reasons I’m not willing to get into now…

But as for the rest of what you said, I totally agree. Brilliantly worded.

I understand now that I made a mistake as a GM and didn’t really clarify my expectations for response times in the interest check and I didn’t really check what everyone’s schedule’s were like.

I think a lot of people signed up for this thinking it’d be a slow paced RP because I realize most group RPs on here do seem to be slow paced. But that’s not what I’m used to. I usually roll with faster paced RPs. This was a huge mistake on my part and I’ll take the blame.

I also do think we’ve got a great little group here with the four of us who actually have been communicative. I’d absolutely be willing to continue with you four if it gets down to that, granted you’d all be willing to continue even after all of my messages. I do think we all need to cool down, mostly me tho. Sorry.

But yea I’ll admit it’s been frustrating organizing this and trying to keep it going. I’m just so used to real life interactions where people can’t just hide behind a screen and disappear forever if they do please. I like talking, communication is ALWAYS key for me. But here on RPN, a lot of people can’t muster up the courage to talk and even just say “hey I was interested but now I’m not. I’m too busy.” That is something I need to get used to- not everyone is a communicative person and a lot of people use the shield of a screen and anonymity to protect themselves from social interactions and talking to people.

But like I said, this RP was never meant to be a “WRITE A NOVEL FOR EVERY POST, IF I DONT SEE 5 PARAGRAPHS ELOQUENTLY WORDED, YOUR ASS IS BOOTED!” I always hated those types of RPs. This is supposed to be fun, not a chore. So I do hope it’s not too hard to find motivation to write in such a casually and relaxed style RP.

In terms of restarting or even recruiting more people, I’m hesitant to. This whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth, ngl. I don’t think I’m cut out for GMing nor do I want to. I would be open to GMimg if we did decide to continue with the four of us (or even any more from the original cast who read this and wanna continue).

I do appreciate your words tho. Thanks. You’ve been great and I appreciate all of that. This has been a bit of a mess on my part so I do apologize for putting you all thru this.
I also want to add I think you're doing great as Gm. You're active, responsive, and communicate brilliantly. We all have our own issues and we all have to start somewhere. You're doing fine, trust me. It's just a learning curve! So, before we do anything else, let's start off by gauging who is still available to continue.

I appreciate your response and respectfulness, as that is what I was also aiming for. I have no intent to insult, I don't know what I'd gain from it if I did.

We all have to start GMing somewhere so it's perfectly fine that you're new. It's a learning experience for sure and no one ever gets it right the first, second, or even third time. It's better to be very open about your intent with an RP. Most people saw the words "casual" and did not expect it to be fast-paced. In fact, they expected the opposite (myself included). If you intend to have a fast-paced roleplay, definitely make that point clear in the future. Fast-paced and casual aren't often used together. When someone hears casual, they believe it's a roleplay they can take their time responding to. I just wanted to make sure you're aware of that!

People can definitely analyze their time but I have to disagree. Someone can gauge their schedule and still believe they have the time to participate. Additionally, just because you found the time to participate daily with your schedule doesn't mean someone else can at that moment. Life changes daily and schedules change just as often. I think the biggest issue with this current roleplay is that people gauged the time incorrectly because it wasn't mentioned that this was a fast-paced roleplay initially (my statement above).

I honestly believe the reason why it takes people so long to respond isn't because of their physical schedule, but their mental one. As I stated before in another post, the reasons I may not respond as much are simply because I lack motivation or I'm not in a good mental state. These are situations that people can't account for when accessing their schedules. A great recent example is when I ignored RPN for 5 days (just before this) because I just wasn't in the best mood to talk and didn't have the inspiration to write. Writing without inspiration is a PAIN and can 100% hinder someone's ability to respond.

I have nothing much to say to the rest of your statements. I don't believe you're inherently insecure. Everyone is flawed and everyone starts somewhere. Not everyone is upfront and honest. Most people may have found it interesting at the start and changed their minds later which is perfectly fine, not everyone is going to admit this either.
Exactly. I agree. I don’t mind insulting but I’ll try not to do it as I think it does nothing. Respect discourse like this is the way to go. Thanks for keeping it classy. You rock.

Anyways yea, that’s again where my inexperience is showing HEAVILY. I said casual under the wrong impression that people would see it as laid back in terms of I don’t expect a novel from you each post. Now I see that many, yourself included as you have said, misinterpreted it because I used my language incorrectly. Other GMs might use casual to convey that this is gonna be slow paced. I used it wrongly and for that I’m sorry. Again, my rookie is showing really bad here as you can see. Apologies for any confusion. I should have 100000% specified this was meant to be a fast paced RP. In hindsight, I went about this all wrong. I don’t think I’m quite ready to GM yet. I haven’t been RPing or on this site too long. It was silly of me to have a 15 year old mindset and be like “here’s a cool idea for a group RP, GMing can’t be too hard.” I was very wrong. So I actually really appreciate you pointing out that casual in people’s minds means slow paced. I learned something new today lol.

Agreed now knowing that. I should have 100% specified this was meant to be fast paced as I admitted above. A crucial mistake of mine, and my inexperience clearly shows.

I get that. I guess I’m the opposite. My mental health is SHIT, so I actually flock to Rpn more when I’m feeling shitty because writing helps me be happy and keep my mind off of stuff. When I’m depressed, I come here to do my hobby- writing, which I love and enjoy to do. It helps me relieve stress. I guess I should have known not everyone works like me and my messed up brain. Most people tend to take a break from RPN if they’re going thru rough mental health times. I find I do quite the opposite. I’m in the minority here, again, something I’m learning. We’re all different, me included. I’m clearly very different (in bad ways I’d say, not trying to say here my outlook on this is right or better than anyone’s) from most people here on this site.

Yea it’s just a new adjustment for me because I would prefer people to be honest about stuff like that. Like if they did think it was interesting but eventually lost interest, tell me. I’d rather hear honesty. I guess some don’t work like that. At least how I see it, it should be easier to be blunt and honest with people like that on the internet because you are behind a screen. This isn’t real life and we aren’t face to face. I often wonder why people are scared to talk over the internet about stuff like this. Irl, I’m so socially awkward but online I feel more comfortable because I’m behind a screen. I also like to take into account that there is a human being with real feelings and emotions behind every screen and username here. I believe you deserve to know if I’m not interested or dropping out and why. But again, I’m in the minority here as I’m clearly learning slowly.

I also want to add I think you're doing great as Gm. You're active, responsive, and communicate brilliantly. We all have our own issues and we all have to start somewhere. You're doing fine, trust me. It's just a learning curve! So, before we do anything else, let's start off by gauging who is still available to continue.
Appreciate it. It’s nice to hear these things when I’ve felt I’ve personally fell short as a GM and am doing a crappy job. It kinda makes me lose faith in myself when such an originally popular idea died out so quickly and I’ve made this mess.

Edric Blight Edric Blight

I think it's just the distinction between casual literacy and casual response-time. I personally thought it would also be fast-paced; so, this isn't an insane fumble or anything. But there's no point of dragging yourself through it over and over, especially since you know now that there's an understanding and we have your back.

I think the best course of action will be to @ everyone in the thread and say something along the lines of "Hi, everyone. I would like to move forward in 24-48 hours (whatever time you think is best). I would like to do one more interest-check and address some miscommunication in regards to the pace of the roleplay. I expect X, Y, Z (amount of responses per day, per week—I think one or more responses a day or two days is reasonable? Especially if we're meant to be casual). Please respond if you intend to continue. If you see this past the deadline and still want to continue, just pop in and we'll catch you up if you know you can adhere to the posting timeline."

Something of that nature.

I think it's just the distinction between casual literacy and casual response-time. I personally thought it would also be fast-paced; so, this isn't an insane fumble or anything. But there's no point of dragging yourself through it over and over, especially since you know now that there's an understanding and we have your back.

I think the best course of action will be to @ everyone in the thread and say something along the lines of "Hi, everyone. I would like to move forward in 24-48 hours (whatever time you think is best). I would like to do one more interest-check and address some miscommunication in regards to the pace of the roleplay. I expect X, Y, Z (amount of responses per day, per week—I think one or more responses a day or two days is reasonable? Especially if we're meant to be casual). Please respond if you intend to continue. If you see this past the deadline and still want to continue, just pop in and we'll catch you up if you know you can adhere to the posting timeline."

Ah I guess so. Still, kinda feel like I should have done more to specify the fast pace of this rp.

But yea I might end up doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ah I guess so. Still, kinda feel like I should have done more to specify the fast pace of this rp.

But yea I might end up doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Nah, it's not your fault that the word can be defined on two different levels, hehe. And we don't even know how many people read it one way over the other. It could be a lot of people bailed for their own personal reasons.
And no problem!

Nah, it's not your fault that the word can be defined on two different levels, hehe. And we don't even know how many people read it one way over the other. It could be a lot of people bailed for their own personal reasons.
And no problem!
Yea good point lol.

And again I appreciate it. You’re great.

I'm throwing it out there that I cannot do 1-2 responses a day and if that is what you expect, then I won't continue with this roleplay.

I'm throwing it out there that I cannot do 1-2 responses a day and if that is what you expect, then I won't continue with this roleplay.
We can compromise something that would be good for you. It doesn’t need to be that.

heyo all! sorry for not replying throughout this convo, timzone and work stuff have been wacky and all over the place.

Honestly fuck it, I think I’ll stop being such a bitch and slow down the pace of this RP.

Sorry I didn't respond through this conversation, time zone problems. Like what Lucipurr Lucipurr said, not everyone's gonna have enough time or maybe they just don't have inspiration to post daily. I myself can do 1 maybe 2 posts a day as long as there's something to respond to. I like this rp and the idea but in most groups half the people are just going to drop off the face of the planet after a post or two, that can be for multiple reasons but sometimes people just get a little busy and need a week or so to get back on their feet and have time for this stuff. Also I think we just need a time skip to get everyone on the same page.

I think I'll be doing a time skip soon. We will continue on at a moderate pace with or without some people.

There's gonna have to be major changes on my part and what I expect from you all. I've gone about GMing this completely wrong and I'm taking some time to reflect upon my mistakes and gain knowledge from some of the advice I was given here and in DMs. I'm gonna GM a little differently now and hopefully make up for my countless mistakes so far here as a GM.

I'm committed to continuing this but I realize I went about this wrong and need to take a step back and change some things. For now, I am cooling down and taking some time to reflect upon what I did wrong here and trying to learn from that and become better.

Things should be better and more flexible from now on. While I still do highly encourage communication from my players, I think I might need to take this RP at a slower pace than originally intended.

A time skip will b discussed soon. Hoping to move past my disaster.

I personally don’t expect that—it was mainly spitballing. The thought was mainly rolling off the idea of if the posts are shorter, then the time/effort required to respond won’t be as hefty, so I was thinking like a single mini-paragraph interaction would be probably easier at that point, like once every two days. Some people probably would be able to do more, some less. But yeah, idk!

I definitely want you to continue with us, so I don’t think the team will decide on anything that will compromise that.

Idk rn, waiting for more people to respond. I’m slowing this RP down a lot but even then it seems like people like Lucipurr don’t wanna continue.

That’s on me tho, I kinda ruined it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back