• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Hogwarts Years 1-7 Group RP | OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Today has been a day! Hope everyone is well!

Ugh, so sorry for the short post, wish I had, had more time to work on it.
My real life is just so stretched...

Just a warning to some of our more inactive players, I will be sending everyone who has not responded a lot in the RP and OOC a message to gauge the levels of interest. It seems we have a lack of people actually responding and stuff and I need to see if this is actually worth continuing.

I’d hate to shut it down but if we only have three or four people after staring out with like twelve, I don’t see this working out.

It could still work out with few people. After all, we're looking at quality over quantity and large groups don't always work out in the end! Sometimes smaller is nicer!

It could still work out with few people. After all, we're looking at quality over quantity and large groups don't always work out in the end! Sometimes smaller is nicer!
Agreed!

I’d be willing to keep it going with even three people!

Just lmk if you guys are legitimately still interested in continuing with this.

Guys seriously I gotta level with you, I think you’re all great, but maybe some of you might have been enticed by the idea of this RP and signed up for it despite not having the time to participate in it.

Look, I get it- I’m a human and sometimes my life gets busy too. I’m not mad at all at any of you for being busy, but I will ask you to be adults here and manage your time. Seriously consider whether or not you should have signed up for this- if you KNOW you’re a busy person, this might not be the RP for you if you can’t get consistent posts up.

Also, if you’re uninterested in DMing or talking here and plotting in OOC, I get it, some of you are shy, but this RP might not be for you. I’m trying to have patience and do bear with me since I am new to GMing, but I want some of you to seriously think over whether or not you can continue this RP.

Please be honest with me and yourselves. I promise I WILL NOT get offended or mad if you admit to me you either don’t wanna do this anymore or can’t do it anymore because you don’t have the time for it. I respect honestly, I don’t like being lied to or having people pretend they like it. If you don’t like it, or don’t have the time for it- tell me honestly.

Hey if it makes you feel better, be BRUTALLY honest with me. I’m talking insults and cursing me out either here or in DMs. I prefer honesty over lying or appeasement to “not hurt anyone’s feelings.” Just flat out tell me, Edric, I can’t do this RP, I don’t have the time for it anymore. I will appreciate that so much if you guys would if that is the case and you are too busy!

Or even an: Edric, you and your RP idea are awful and you’re an ass of a GM, I’m dropping out. Anything you may please you can say to me. So long story short, my point is, honestly assess yourself and see if you have the time to do this RP. If you are too busy, I will understand- we are humans, life gets tough. But please, do not continue to pretend you want to be in this RP when you full well know in the back of your head you can’t continue this. Don’t waste my time and your time.

Thank you.

Sorry if that was long winded and harsh, but I feel like it needed to be said.

We’re all adults here or almost adults here. I think we should start acting like it and managing our time like big boys and girls.

If you can’t do the RP, you can’t do the RP. I get it, just tell me.

I think I just need for us to timeskip since my other Hufflepuff lads have not responded, so I’m sort of stuck one Day 1 and would rather we just skip a week ahead or however much time would be best.
Maybe @ everyone and request their decision within the next 24-48 hours or something? I’d love for us all to do one response a day—maybe two if we’re doing smaller responses. My intro post was pretty meaty but that’s usually the main one that’s the largest, and I can definitely dial into more dialogue/action-heavy responses.

The only day I feel like I’d have trouble responding is Monday because I’m in class all day, but I usually check to see if there’s any new posts in the main or ooo threads.

The other thing I think would be productive is to confirm that folks are subscribed to the two main threads so they receive updates even when they aren't directly quoted.

I think I just need for us to timeskip since my other Hufflepuff lads have not responded, so I’m sort of stuck one Day 1 and would rather we just skip a week ahead or however much time would be best.
Maybe @ everyone and request their decision within the next 24-48 hours or something? I’d love for us all to do one response a day—maybe two if we’re doing smaller responses. My intro post was pretty meaty but that’s usually the main one that’s the largest, and I can definitely dial into more dialogue/action-heavy responses.
Oh no no no don’t worry, YOU are totally fine. You’ve done an excellent job, you’re just stuck because we literally cannot go on because the two Hufflepuff characters we have and you have tried to interact with have gone completely missing. It is not your fault AT ALL. You’ve been great about posting and OOC and plotting ever since you joined and I do want to applaud you for that.

That being said, I think we’re just gonna have to move on without the inactive people. Their lack of responses has made us stuck and if they are unwilling to participate, we are gonna simply move on without them.

I’d prefer we have medium sized posts like every day or every other day since I understand some people can’t do every day. But going blank like this for a week or so is a bit yikes. It seems we might just have to continue with like the four of you that actually bother reading and RESPONDING to OOC chat.

I will admit tho, I made a lot of posts because they were more dialogue heavy, the ones between Grace and Chase. I wasn’t expecting everyone to do that as well, but I also wasn’t expecting everyone to just post once or twice and be done. That being said, I might need to force a time skip here and we will continue with those of you who truly want to do it and, I cannot stress this enough: HAVE THE TIME TO DO THIS!

As of now, to my knowledge, you usernotfound usernotfound , kakemha kakemha , and Lucipurr Lucipurr are legitimately interested in continuing this and have the will to do so. If I have to do it with us four then so be it, but I would like to know now who is in and who is out.

Just lmk if you guys are legitimately still interested in continuing with this.

Guys seriously I gotta level with you, I think you’re all great, but maybe some of you might have been enticed by the idea of this RP and signed up for it despite not having the time to participate in it.

Look, I get it- I’m a human and sometimes my life gets busy too. I’m not mad at all at any of you for being busy, but I will ask you to be adults here and manage your time. Seriously consider whether or not you should have signed up for this- if you KNOW you’re a busy person, this might not be the RP for you if you can’t get consistent posts up.

Also, if you’re uninterested in DMing or talking here and plotting in OOC, I get it, some of you are shy, but this RP might not be for you. I’m trying to have patience and do bear with me since I am new to GMing, but I want some of you to seriously think over whether or not you can continue this RP.

Please be honest with me and yourselves. I promise I WILL NOT get offended or mad if you admit to me you either don’t wanna do this anymore or can’t do it anymore because you don’t have the time for it. I respect honestly, I don’t like being lied to or having people pretend they like it. If you don’t like it, or don’t have the time for it- tell me honestly.

Hey if it makes you feel better, be BRUTALLY honest with me. I’m talking insults and cursing me out either here or in DMs. I prefer honesty over lying or appeasement to “not hurt anyone’s feelings.” Just flat out tell me, Edric, I can’t do this RP, I don’t have the time for it anymore. I will appreciate that so much if you guys would if that is the case and you are too busy!

Or even an: Edric, you and your RP idea are awful and you’re an ass of a GM, I’m dropping out. Anything you may please you can say to me. So long story short, my point is, honestly assess yourself and see if you have the time to do this RP. If you are too busy, I will understand- we are humans, life gets tough. But please, do not continue to pretend you want to be in this RP when you full well know in the back of your head you can’t continue this. Don’t waste my time and your time.

Thank you.

Keep in mind that I have no issues with you and enjoy you as a person, but this message seems a bit off. I mean no offense in what I have to say. But since you were blunt, I shall be as well.

This is your first time GMing, correct? In future roleplays, I suggest offering a timeframe on when you expect people to respond. This will allow people to better gauge whether or not the roleplay suits them. I say this because an average roleplay doesn't have daily responses. Long-term roleplays are in the name, it's long-term and people often take their time with their responses which is completely reasonable. It could take weeks to get through one scene.

I don't appreciate the phrasing "We’re all adults here. I think we should start acting like it and managing our time like big boys and girls." That sounds extremely degrading. Yes, we are adults, and yes, we do manage our time, but life does not go as we plan it. Using myself as an example; I have classes nearly every day, I work most of the week, and I disappear from RPN for DAYS on end because I don't feel well mentally. Things happen all the time, managing time isn't black and white. And, to be honest, roleplays should be enjoyable. Continuing that, nobody should have to "access themselves like an 'adult'" for a roleplay. Having to manage them into your time loses that spark. So I guess I'm not a "big girl", but thanks.

The last part also makes me believe there is hidden insecurity and you're projecting that through the message. Nobody thinks the idea is bad, and nobody finds you rude. When creating a roleplay, you should always keep in mind that half of those people who apply will disappear without a word. I wouldn't take it personally.

So I think it would be easier to approach the topic differently and personally ask those not as active if they plan to continue. Most people might not see the message. If most people don't respond in a reasonable time, you're free to believe that they have no interest in continuing. As such, you can plan accordingly. If they plan to rejoin, make sure that option is open to them.

The only day I feel like I’d have trouble responding is Monday because I’m in class all day, but I usually check to see if there’s any new posts in the main or ooo threads.

The other thing I think would be productive is to confirm that folks are subscribed to the two main threads so they receive updates even when they aren't directly quoted.
That’s fair. Got it, and thank you for telling me.

You’ve been really good about OOC and stuff.

Just IC, you’ve been trapped and stuck due to no fault of your own. Not your fault, just people not pulling their weight.

Another reason people don't write is simply due to a lack of inspiration and motivation. This is a VERY REAL issue. Keep in mind if you want a decent-sized post from me every day or even every other day, you're not going to get it. Inspiration comes and goes. There are days when I can't write because I lost my motivation or have no ideas. There are days when I can write a novel because the words come flowing. It's really iffy and heavily dependent on my mood. And it's not something I can alert people of because it just hits.

So if this continues as planned and I'm still here, I will most likely respond once a week or more if I find the time and motivation.

Keep in mind that I have no issues with you and enjoy you as a person, but this message seems a bit off. I mean no offense in what I have to say. But since you were blunt, I shall be as well.

This is your first time GMing, correct? In future roleplays, I suggest offering a timeframe on when you expect people to respond. This will allow people to better gauge whether or not the roleplay suits them. I say this because an average roleplay doesn't have daily responses. Long-term roleplays are in the name, it's long-term and people often take their time with their responses which is completely reasonable. It could take weeks to get through one scene.

I don't appreciate the phrasing "We’re all adults here. I think we should start acting like it and managing our time like big boys and girls." That sounds extremely degrading. Yes, we are adults, and yes, we do manage our time, but life does not go as we plan it. Using myself as an example; I have classes nearly every day, I work most of the week, and I disappear from RPN for DAYS on end because I don't feel well mentally. Things happen all the time, managing time isn't black and white. And, to be honest, roleplays should be enjoyable. Continuing that, nobody should have to "access themselves like an 'adult'" for a roleplay. Having to manage them into your time loses that spark. So I guess I'm not a "big girl", but thanks.

The last part also makes me believe there is hidden insecurity and you're projecting that through the message. Nobody thinks the idea is bad, and nobody finds you rude. When creating a roleplay, you should always keep in mind that half of those people who apply will disappear without a word. I wouldn't take it personally.

So I think it would be easier to approach the topic differently and personally ask those not as active if they plan to continue. Most people might not see the message. If most people don't respond in a reasonable time, you're free to believe that they have no interest in continuing. As such, you can plan accordingly. If they plan to rejoin, make sure that option is open to them.
I’ll answer this entirely. I appreciate the honesty and that you’re voicing your concerns. I was blunt, and I even said to be honest and harsh if needed, so I don’t mind the bluntness here. And I’ll also try to be as respectful as possible because I think you were in your message and aren’t trying to insult me here.

I’ll admit I am in no way experienced or a good GM AT ALL. This is my first time as you all can CLEARLY tell. I’m not too good at this and I’ll fully admit it. In hindsight, yea, maybe a time frame was the way to go. I was under the impression this would be more of a fast paced RP, it seemed others didn’t see it that way. I definitely should have specified.

To that point of my what you saw as degrading language, that comes from a bit of frustration not being able to rely on people to be honest with me and themselves. I don’t think it’s too hard to take a step back and analyze your life and assess whether or not you truly have the time to participate in a group RP or not due to being too busy. I also have classes everyday and papers to write, but I’d like to consider myself an adult and I don’t think it’s too hard for me to say “hey, I can’t really be doing this and saying I can devote my time to this,” or “hey, I think I can manage a healthy balance of my irl and RPN.” I’m semi-busy. I’ve got classes and papers to write and hockey practice every week, but I still manage to honestly assess myself and find some time for my hobby, writing on RPN. If I were swamped, I would have never started this RP.

To the next point, I guess I can attribute my actions to nothing more than just inexperience and a rookie mistake. I’m relatively new to this site and very new to GMing. When people aren’t honest with me and up front, I actually take it very personally. It’s why I hate it when people ghost or disappear. I’d rather be cursed out and told why someone is leaving and why they don’t like the RP so I can improve and learn from the experience and for next time. Honesty is great, which is why I appreciate your message. It doesn’t sugar coat things. I’m a flawed human and a bad GM, and there’s things I definitely can learn from more veteran RPers like you. That’s why I’m glad you pointed these things out so I can learn, rather than you just saying bye you suck and leaving.

Do I have a little feeling people don’t like the idea of the RP? Most definitely. How could you not be a little insecure about this stuff? Especially when people make character sheets, express a real interest, then totally dip and disappear. So if you want to paint it like “I’m insecure,” sure, if that helps you understand it. But I find it hard to believe this RP idea is good of it only manages to really keep like 3 people lol.

So that’s pretty much my take on that. I will 100% admit I’m a flawed human being and therefore a flawed GM. I am inexperienced, and it obviously shows. I’m very new to GMing and this is my first time hosting, so I’ll admit I don’t know everything about GMing. But I come from a place where we don’t sugar coat shit and we are honest- I’m used to people being communicative instead of saying “I’m interested and I wanna do this RP,” and then abandoning it because they can hide behind a screen.

And I’ll again stress that I’m not angry at anyone for being busy, I’m just disappointed some people decided to sign up for this and get my hopes up when they knew they have busy lives.

So that’s that I guess.

Another reason people don't write is simply due to a lack of inspiration and motivation. This is a VERY REAL issue. Keep in mind if you want a decent-sized post from me every day or even every other day, you're not going to get it. Inspiration comes and goes. There are days when I can't write because I lost my motivation or have no ideas. There are days when I can write a novel because the words come flowing. It's really iffy and heavily dependent on my mood. And it's not something I can alert people of because it just hits.

So if this continues as planned and I'm still here, I will most likely respond once a week or more if I find the time and motivation.
Also I don’t expect HUGE novella styled posts. This RP is meant to be a sort of fast paced but relaxed and casual RP. I’m not expecting a beautifully written 5 paragraph post every time, so I do hope you don’t feel pressured to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back