• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Request Hiring a Visual Artist for a 2D JRPG-style Indie MMO. (Closed)

The Explorer

Philippians 4:13
The Artist will be in charge of making the art assets for the game. He or She will be responsible for all of the artwork, and must work with my musician and I in order to make sure the Art, Story, and Music do not clash.

The payment will be 50 dollars per month and that is for a batch of Artwork/Icons etc. each month.

Once the patreon kicks off and the game releases on Steam Early Access, i'll will be able to pay more.

If you are interested or want more info on the game, PM me or reply here.

Thank you for your consideration.

Major Update #1:

Here is the link for The Sunburst. It is one of the Seven Continents of the World of Onessa:

I know there isn't much only a few paragraphs but I didn't want to risk spoiling one of the Major events in the game's storyline.

Last edited:
Just had a few questions for clarification's sake.

Are you wanting just Icons and HUD/GUI work? Or are you also looking for character/concept art? And what sort of quantity are we looking at per batch/month's worth of art?

Just had a few questions for clarification's sake.

Are you wanting just Icons and HUD/GUI work? Or are you also looking for character/concept art? And what sort of quantity are we looking at per batch/month's worth of art?

All of the above. All of the Art required to make the game.

It would be up to you how much you do, but when I can afford to, I will pay more.

I'd say only do what 50 dollars is worth to you, until the Patreon page is up and kicks off. Then i will be able to pay you what you consider a fair price for all of the work required.

Here's some info on the actual game:

The name of the game is Dungeon Masters!? Online, and is meant to be a 2D MMORPG made in Unity using Mirror for networking. The World is divided into Seven Main Continents three of which are home to Massive Dungeons each with their own unique enemies/drops/theme/etc.

However, one of the key features is that there is no magic, so your character has to survive the world filled with monsters, demons, and other enemies.

The main goal of the game is to clear all three dungeons and attain the title of Dungeon Master.

But since this is supposed to be an MMO, there is plenty to do.

Farming, Cooking, Foraging, etc.

The usual stuff. There's a whole lot more but that is the basics.

I am programming the game in Unity C# and managing what I can, so far I've been using art from OpenGameArt as placeholder art. But I cannot start until I at least have an artist.

I would pay more, but I don't have a job and cannot work due to mental issues, which I take medication for.

I live off a government check.

So I'm paying the Artist and the Musician the absolute most I can afford to for now, and when the Patreon page is made and kicks off, I'll definitely be able to pay the artist for what he or she is worth.

MMO is kind of an ambitious undertaking... Even with an external library for network stuff.

Id suggest to post links to your previous projects if you have any (and if you dont, maybe start smaller? Sorry if Im making assumptions)

Anyway r/gamedev, r/pixelart and reddit in general are better suited for that kinda thing. Maybe look up a game jam and ask there (minijam is a good place to start). Good luck.

Last edited:
MMO is kind of an ambitious undertaking... Even with an external library for network stuff.

Id suggest to post links to your previous projects if you have any (and if you dont, maybe start smaller? Sorry if Im making assumptions)

Anyway r/gamedev, r/pixelart and reddit in general are better suited for that kinda thing. Maybe look up a game jam and ask there (minijam is a good place to start). Good luck.

I know it is ambitious, and almost impossible for an indie team to pull off.

Even if this is my first project, my God commanded me to do this. So I cannot exactly change course now.

I've already heard the whole "Just don't" spiel. But if I had to choose between the easier path, and the path that my God said to take, i'd choose the latter every time.

I prayed for God to tell me what my first project should be, and this is it.

I understand your concern, but I'm looking for an artist. I will take your advice to heart, but I will not change course.

Regarding the game's name, quick Google search reveals that it is somewhat taken: Dungeon Master | Play game online!

I don't think anyone's dissuading you from making the game. More of, try to get some experience first. Join a team that's already making one, see how it works, learn how to manage people, timelines and expectations and then make the game. Joining a team already working on their own game will not only give you experience; it's also a chance to earn some capital to fund your project.

50 USD's a bit low of an ask for MMO art, I think.

Regarding the game's name, quick Google search reveals that it is somewhat taken: Dungeon Master | Play game online!

I don't think anyone's dissuading you from making the game. More of, try to get some experience first. Join a team that's already making one, see how it works, learn how to manage people, timelines and expectations and then make the game. Joining a team already working on their own game will not only give you experience; it's also a chance to earn some capital to fund your project.

50 USD's a bit low of an ask for MMO art, I think.

I know it is low, and not worth any artists time in the beginning phases. I also know that what you say is good advice. But i will say it again, and as many times as I need to.

My God commanded to make this game as my first project.

I have already found a musician that can work with me on the prices until the money starts coming in.

All I need is an Artist.

I really love having heartfelt and true advice, i do.

But no matter what, this is and will forever be my first project. I need an Artist. Even if they don't know how to do art for an mmo. In this age of Information, as long as he or she is serious about the project, they can learn as they go.

Literally anyone willing to learn and willing to be serious will do.

I'm not trying to be rude, and I know you're trying to help.

So thank you very much!!! However, I cannot give up my convictions.

SCSaya06 SCSaya06 Also, thanks for the info!!!

It was just the placeholder name for the project, but I will do a google search more extensively when we start the project.

No offense, but these threads are just coming off as you looking for shortcuts into your goals for someone who talks about not wanting to take the easy path. I don't think accumulating experience and capital by working on a different project in order to adequately fund my own is the easy path. If anything, it's the hard but proper path towards getting this project off the ground.

You talk about wanting to find someone serious for the project. But what's in it for them? It's give and take. The pay as it stands is very low for what you demand as "All Art required to make the project" or even just, "Do what you think is worth 50 USD". It's kind of coming across as taking advantage of anyone desperate enough to work for low pay.

Patreon is also not much of a guarantee. I'm looking at this from an investor's point of view. If I am to donate, then I want to see assets, a functional demo, market research, competitor research, previous projects etc. So many games get funding on Patreon only for them to never materialize, taking all the donations down with them. What guarantees do I have that I will get something for my investment? I tried Googling the game name + Patreon and nothing came up except for the game I sent to you.

Otherwise, try putting up a job ad and project brief on something like Craigslist. You'd have a slightly better chance there than here.

Nobody's asking you to give up your convictions. They're just suggesting action plans in order to do this right and to give it a fighting chance at succeeding.

No offense, but these threads are just coming off as you looking for shortcuts into your goals for someone who talks about not wanting to take the easy path. I don't think accumulating experience and capital by working on a different project in order to adequately fund my own is the easy path. If anything, it's the hard but proper path towards getting this project off the ground.

You talk about wanting to find someone serious for the project. But what's in it for them? It's give and take. The pay as it stands is very low for what you demand as "All Art required to make the project" or even just, "Do what you think is worth 50 USD". It's kind of coming across as taking advantage of anyone desperate enough to work for low pay.

Patreon is also not much of a guarantee. I'm looking at this from an investor's point of view. If I am to donate, then I want to see assets, a functional demo, market research, competitor research, previous projects etc. So many games get funding on Patreon only for them to never materialize, taking all the donations down with them. What guarantees do I have that I will get something for my investment? I tried Googling the game name + Patreon and nothing came up except for the game I sent to you.

Otherwise, try putting up a job ad and project brief on something like Craigslist. You'd have a slightly better chance there than here.

Nobody's asking you to give up your convictions. They're just suggesting action plans in order to do this right and to give it a fighting chance at succeeding.

That is why I thanked for your advice, because i knew that already.

It is the Proper way, but it is not the way I was commanded to do it. I know that you suggested all of that because you care. I knew that from the beginning. Which is why I thanked you for your advice.

My conviction is "Do this the way God commanded me to."

i may be misunderstanding you, but starting with another game is the exact opposite of that conviction.

This isn't me trying to take shortcuts. This is me obeying my God and doing his way.

He commanded me to search here for an Artist, and to pay the absolute most I could afford to.

He commanded me to make this MMO my first project.

I cannot do things like disobey that, because i've tried that before, and it never works out.

So God commanded you to just start the project and underpay people who will help in this beginning stages all the while, not giving them any guarantee that the project will be finished nor the right pay in the future. And he told you to look for an artist on RPN? Not Craigslist or Monster or any other site where you actually hire people?

And like I said earlier, where's the Patreon link? Project brief? Research? If I am to invest in someone's project whether through monetary means or contributing art and work, I need assurances and guarantees.

So God commanded you to just start the project and underpay people who will help in this beginning stages all the while, not giving them any guarantee that the project will be finished nor the right pay in the future. And he told you to look for an artist on RPN? Not Craigslist or Monster or any other site where you actually hire people?

And like I said earlier, where's the Patreon link? Project brief? Research? If I am to invest in someone's project whether through monetary means or contributing art and work, I need assurances and guarantees.

I don't pretend to know why God does the things he does they way he does them. I assume it has something to do with the fact that in the future he might be planning on giving me other sources of income.

I'm going to be honest, though.

I have no clue.

All I know is what God told me.

If there is any guarantee that it will be finished, and that they will be paid more, it is that my God has the power to give me as many sources of income as he knows I'll need.

At this point, I figure if God led me to a Musician that was willing to work with me, then he can do the same with an Artist.

I currently have agreed to pay the musician 50 - 90 dollars a month depending on the work he does. He was the one who suggested it.

I have no problem doing the same for an artist.

50 dollars per batch of required artwork per month, even if it is only concept design for one character per month, or a batch of Icons.

If you aren't interested, just say, "I'm not interested."

I came here expecting if I obey God, he will lead someone to me that is willing and interested.

If that is not you, then too bad for me, oh well. We can still be friends.

I think we all need to take a breather here. For one, it's only so far using God's commands as your reason for doing this can get you. It's only so far that saying "I don't know" and "I have no clue" can get you. You have to put in your own elbow grease at some point here instead of just winging it with the supposed command that God issued you.

You admitted yourself that you don't even know what God wants you to do exactly.
I don't pretend to know why God does the things he does they way he does them. I assume it has something to do with the fact that in the future he might be planning on giving me other sources of income.

Nothing is sure in this world. That includes God especially. You're talking as if He's your business investor, but I'm sorry to say that this entire thing is built upon an assumption that He'll follow through without any backup plans.

Sorry to say it, man, but God as an excuse does not work for everyone. How can we be sure that this idea is going to take off if an artist does decide to invest into it? The artist doesn't even have enough information on the game to figure out what exactly to draw. Not even a spot of lore.

It takes a whole lot more than an idea and some coding, screenshots and art to get a game onto Steam Early Access and greenlight it. One Early Access game I have is M.A.S.S. Builder and they have an entire playable demo with customization options and six missions along with the upgrade system. The same goes for setting up a Patreon or a Kickstarter.

Sorry to say it, man, there's just not enough here to work with. I highly suggest fleshing things out more before you go looking to get other people in on this project. Again. We're not trying to tell you to stop. We're giving you suggestions.
It's time to at least listen to what the others are saying instead of stubbornly sticking to what God told you. We've all been in that spot where we think that if we do something different, we'll fall flat on our asses, but if you want to work on something big like this, you need to take risks.

I mean, what's the difference between this and posting an ad on a job recruitment website? Or reaching out to an artist on Deviantart? Why does it have to be RPN? I don't really think artists looking for work use RPN as their main job-hunting site.

I'm not confused by your convictions. Merely your methodologies on things like looking for an artist willing to work for no guarantees on RPN rather than a dedicated job bulletin for one. Also, there's not enough to go on to adequately gauge whether the project is worth the time investment. Hence, why I ask for the Patreon link to be sent via PM for privacy concerns.

I think we all need to take a breather here. For one, it's only so far using God's commands as your reason for doing this can get you. It's only so far that saying "I don't know" and "I have no clue" can get you. You have to put in your own elbow grease at some point here instead of just winging it with the supposed command that God issued you.

You admitted yourself that you don't even know what God wants you to do exactly.

Nothing is sure in this world. That includes God especially. You're talking as if He's your business investor, but I'm sorry to say that this entire thing is built upon an assumption that He'll follow through without any backup plans.

Sorry to say it, man, but God as an excuse does not work for everyone. How can we be sure that this idea is going to take off if an artist does decide to invest into it? The artist doesn't even have enough information on the game to figure out what exactly to draw. Not even a spot of lore.

It takes a whole lot more than an idea and some coding, screenshots and art to get a game onto Steam Early Access and greenlight it. One Early Access game I have is M.A.S.S. Builder and they have an entire playable demo with customization options and six missions along with the upgrade system. The same goes for setting up a Patreon or a Kickstarter.

Sorry to say it, man, there's just not enough here to work with. I highly suggest fleshing things out more before you go looking to get other people in on this project. Again. We're not trying to tell you to stop. We're giving you suggestions.
It's time to at least listen to what the others are saying instead of stubbornly sticking to what God told you. We've all been in that spot where we think that if we do something different, we'll fall flat on our asses, but if you want to work on something big like this, you need to take risks.

Look, I asked if people were interested in the concept so that I could tell them more about the game.

The Lore? I already have most of everything lore wise planned out.

In fact, if you ask me any question about the game story/concept wise I could give you an answer in the 5-10 minutes it takes me to write a few sentences to a paragraph in reply.

I just need an Artist, so I don't have to use placeholder art for everything.

My only problem is I live off of a 522 dollar check every month and cannot afford to pay more than 50 dollars currently, because most of that goes to my phone bill and the internet bill i help out with, along with putting gas in the car.

You keep giving me very valid suggestions to which I have no reason in human understanding to turn down. But I cannot and will not accept them.

I already know that what you two are saying is the absolute best and right way to go about this. I am not and will not deny that at all.

But it isn't the way I was commanded to do it.

So, not to be rude, but I did not come here for suggestions. I came here to obey God and find an artist willing to work with me.

I've already heard all this from countless people on the internet, and i'm not blind to the fact that you two are right.

But if you are not interested, just say "I'm not interested."

Out of the 7 or so billion people on the earth, there has to be one person who will take the position of artist.

If that's the way you intend to go about it, then I suppose no amount of sound logic and reasoning can stop you.

At the very least, provide any artists with a guarantee before they invest or express interest into this. Provide information right off the bat. Literally just editing your information post with the lore of the game you're planning to make is enough to go on. If you really can give me lore in 5-10 minutes like you said, then provide that lore.

Just because you want to go tackle this project blind doesn't mean that those who will work for you will have to go in blind as well. That's not how it works. Have some consideration for those who would devote their time and skills to this project if you insist on doing it this way.

And I just asked you for the details AKA Patreon link and research documents to be sent via PM didn't I? I want to see if it's something worth my time and effort.

Also, sure. There are 7 Billion people on Earth. But there aren't 7 Billion people on RPN is there? Not to mention that this isn't a primarily recruitment site. Hence why I keep bringing up other sites like Craigslist or Monster. Or any job bulletin site. Plastic Sludge even brought up dedicated subreddits exactly for the purposes you need. I'm not sure why it's such a mortal sin in your eyes to not give those other websites a try.

I mean, what's the difference between this and posting an ad on a job recruitment website? Or reaching out to an artist on Deviantart? Why does it have to be RPN? I don't really think artists looking for work use RPN as their main job-hunting site.

I'm not confused by your convictions. Merely your methodologies on things like looking for an artist willing to work for no guarantees on RPN rather than a dedicated job bulletin for one. Also, there's not enough to go on to adequately gauge whether the project is worth the time investment. Hence, why I ask for the Patreon link to be sent via PM for privacy concerns.
And I just asked you for the details AKA Patreon link and research documents to be sent via PM didn't I? I want to see if it's something worth my time and effort.

Also, sure. There are 7 Billion people on Earth. But there aren't 7 Billion people on RPN is there? Not to mention that this isn't a primarily recruitment site. Hence why I keep bringing up other sites like Craigslist or Monster. Or any job bulletin site. Plastic Sludge even brought up dedicated subreddits exactly for the purposes you need. I'm not sure why it's such a mortal sin in your eyes to not give those other websites a try.
If that's the way you intend to go about it, then I suppose no amount of sound logic and reasoning can stop you.

At the very least, provide any artists with a guarantee before they invest or express interest into this. Provide information right off the bat. Literally just editing your information post with the lore of the game you're planning to make is enough to go on. If you really can give me lore in 5-10 minutes like you said, then provide that lore.

Just because you want to go tackle this project blind doesn't mean that those who will work for you will have to go in blind as well. That's not how it works. Have some consideration for those who would devote their time and skills to this project if you insist on doing it this way.

That's my problem my Art is placeholder art so it isn't good enough to even begin to start a Patreon Page, I need at least a good demo that is like 5-10 minutes long to even start one.

I will edit my post with the links to threads I will make with the Lore. Because people don't tend to like having to read a lot of info all in one go. So I will separate the Lore into different stories on the Creativity Section. Thanks for the advice, believe it or not, I do actually take it all into thought and consideration.

That's my problem my Art is placeholder art so it isn't good enough to even begin to start a Patreon Page, I need at least a good demo that is like 5-10 minutes long to even start one.

I will edit my post with the links to threads I will make with the Lore. Because people don't tend to like having to read a lot of info all in one go. So I will separate the Lore into different stories on the Creativity Section. Thanks for the advice, believe it or not, I do actually take it all into thought and consideration.

I'm going to start on the Threads ASAP. All I got is a story/the Lore. Which means it has to be good enough, or better than most MMO stories. I might end up posting the full concept for the game on the creativity section or in a PM for privacy, I just don't want my idea to be stolen.

Also, i'm not sure if you want the World Lore and the NPC Lore as well, so i will only do the World Lore. For each area/continent in the game.

Might take a few weeks for all of it though.

There are no fantasy races, but each continents people are unique in their own right, from appearance to culture. The Sunburst Colonians can be compared to the quick but weak races in most mmorpgs. I'll probably update it with their culture, but really don't want to spoil the story for someone who might not end up working on the game anyway.

Next up is the next Lore thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back