Advice/Help "Hi, Peter! My name's Peter!" (How to deal with heroes with the same given name)

Phantom Thief of Hearts

We live in the Metal Gear timeline
Since I've RP'd in Multifandom almost exclusively... I must ask, how do you guys deal with a hero whose given name is the same as another one of your characters? Do you stick to calling them by their surname or stick to primarily their alias?

Nicknames. If they have them already use that if not give them one.

When I started my current job there were three people named “Nerdy”.

I was little Nerdy for YEARS at my job because of it. The other two went by Nerdy N and Nerdy B (for their last names).

But in a less formal situation you could be - Blonde Peter and Little Pete. Or you know whatever nicknames make sense for the group.

I see "Blonde Peter" and think Ben Reilly... Damn my love for Spider-Man lore.

lol I was thinking of Into the Spider Verse personally but that works. Really it’s actually pretty easy, it also makes the characters seem more human. As depending on your name (Peter is actually fairly common around here) than you likely already met someone with your name at a previous point.

And if it’s super unique there’s potential for humor.

No WAY your name is Uniqua Josephine the 3rd too??? What are the odds.

lol I was thinking of Into the Spider Verse personally but that works. Really it’s actually pretty easy, it also makes the characters seem more human. As depending on your name (Peter is actually fairly common around here) than you likely already met someone with your name at a previous point.
Funnily enough Blonde Peter in Spider-Verse was a reference to Ben Reilly (Who was a clone of Peter Parker and he dyed his hair blonde so he could be his own guy and people could tell the two apart)
And if it’s super unique there’s potential for humor.

No WAY your name is Uniqua Josephine the 3rd too??? What are the odds.
Yeah, as a one and done joke... It's great!

Funnily enough Blonde Peter in Spider-Verse was a reference to Ben Reilly (Who was a clone of Peter Parker and he dyed his hair blonde so he could be his own guy and people could tell the two apart)

Yeah, as a one and done joke... It's great!

Lol I mostly was referencing characters with weird names. Like I didn’t realize Usagi from Sailor Moon was basically given a nonsense name. It might be a name now but at the time it would have been like naming your kid Bunny Moon.

I mean honestly wouldn’t be surprised if that was a super obscure superhero name to be fair.

Hey, the Justice League had two Jonns/Johns/J'onns. Anything goes.

Well you can do what Tayong Dalawa did.

Oh, I raise you this - what if two people played the exact same character? Two incarnations of one person.

Lol I mostly was referencing characters with weird names. Like I didn’t realize Usagi from Sailor Moon was basically given a nonsense name. It might be a name now but at the time it would have been like naming your kid Bunny Moon.

I mean honestly wouldn’t be surprised if that was a super obscure superhero name to be fair.

You aren't ready to hear about parents who basically name their kids

Broom.

Hey, the Justice League had two Jonns/Johns/J'onns. Anything goes.

Well you can do what Tayong Dalawa did.

Oh, I raise you this - what if two people played the exact same character? Two incarnations of one person.

You aren't ready to hear about parents who basically name their kids

Broom.

lol oh my gosh. I know my sister had a coworker named L-a. (She pronounced it Ladasha, cuz the dash isn’t silent).

I feel like that would be hilarious if you had a weird earth person and also an alien. With the same name as written but totally separate pronunciations.

And for two of the same character maybe like Peter Prime and Earth 2 Peter?

lol oh my gosh. I know my sister had a coworker named L-a. (She pronounced it Ladasha, cuz the dash isn’t silent).

omg. please no. NO. Why do people do this to their children?

EDIT: someone told me this is an urban myth so idk your sister is lying to you or the parents named her after an urban myth. XD

At my school we had like 8 people named Chris in my year so they were all called by their surnames, or first name + surname. (Three of them were all in the same friendship group and band XD)

I think it's best to decide the nicknames or how to refer to the people with the same name IC. Someone just starts calling John 1 "Johnny boy" or "Glasses" and it sticks.

Last edited:
Sometimes weird children names pop up in the news and I can't imagine what was in the heads of their parents when they made up such names lol They'd make cool nicknames on the internet but in real life.. uhh..

Anyway. Nicknames is certainly a way out, just like in real life XD

Another idea from RL.... my friend lets call him Dave ... lived in a house with three other people called Dave, and they just called them Dave 1, Dave 2, Dave 3 and Dave 4. So you could always do that if you're feeling super uninspired.

I have 3 colleagues with the same name as me and when someone askes one of us during zoom meeting it looks like... <Name>! (total silence, no one is replying). Oh, right... Name + Last name!
Every. Time.

You call people by their name. It isn't as if you're calling out for yourself when you say your own name, you mean the other person with that name, and it is clear you do so. Confusion comes when there are at least three with the same name.

EDIT: someone told me this is an urban myth so idk your sister is lying to you or the parents named her after an urban myth. XD

At the time she was a military nurse so she was going off her actual medical files. So I’m inclined to think folks genuinely named their kid that. I think as long as there is no numbers in it you can name your kid whatever you want.

I feel like some people wanna get creative but don’t realize their saddling their kid with nonsense for the rest of their lives (or at least until their old enough to get a name change),

Since I've RP'd in Multifandom almost exclusively... I must ask, how do you guys deal with a hero whose given name is the same as another one of your characters? Do you stick to calling them by their surname or stick to primarily their alias?
Simple: If we're both, for example, named Dave, I just start calling myself The Cool Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back