• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hexes and Homework

redraider

Rebecca took a deep breath, looking at the glimmering portal in front of her. The redhead had pink robes and a pointed hat from a costume shop, and an unenchanted broom from Walmart. When you learned you were a witch, you had two options: rage against the cliche, or embrace it wholeheartedly. She'd chosen the latter. Okay, here goes...

As she traveled through she found herself, for the first time, not on Earth. The sky was a brilliant yellow, bathing a forest in radiant light. And the people... she'd understood the multiverse as a concept, but it hadn't really hit home until she saw everyone, from pixies to dragons, heading into the school. It was all too much- she needed to sit down and just accept her new reality.

"Come on Malenka come on Ori," Oli spoke to her beloved pet cat and pet bird. It was the first day of school, and so it was the first day back to work as well. Olimpiada smiled to herself, slinging her bag over her shoulder. Despite being a witch, she didn't dress the stereotypical part. Instead she wore regular fun clothing that any college student, human or not would wear.

Her cat Ori followed alongside her as her bird Malenka landed on her shoulder. Her animals were both her familiar and a spirit guide, respectively. She smiled at the both of them, and waved her hand. Her own portal opened to get to school. She stepped through, smiling to herself about how excited she was to be back.

Surrounding her, were her longtime classmates. Some mermaids hanging out in a giant lake waved to her. Olimpiada had helped them with some projects a few months ago. She waved back.

"Hi guys!" She called out. Some yelled some hellos and other greetings.

As she made her way to the main building, she noticed someone adordened in traditional witch clothing. Usually one didn't see that.

Olimpiada slowly approached the person.

"Hey there," she said very softly as to not startle the stranger, "You seem like it's your first day. Do you need help with something?"

Rebecca blinked a couple of times at the newcomer and her creatures. Are they her pets or does she do some kind of animal magic? "Yes, I'm lost. I'm looking for Williams Hall, room 23. Can you help me?"

She staggered to her feet, collecting what few belongings she had. "Oh, where are my manners? I'm Rebecca Saunders, I never did get your name. And, do forgive me for asking," she added as some kind of plant-man ambled by, "but... are you human?"

Olimpiada grinned and turned around a couple of degrees.

"Well to start that hall is not in the direction that you're facing!" Oli spoke, "I'm headed that way anyways, would you like me to walk with you, Rebecca?"

Olimpiada looked down at her hand that had her schedule written on it with regular pen ink. She held out the other hand, as a way to say hello. Her cat and bird stayed perfectly still.

"That's alright! I'm Olimpiada, but most call me Oli or Zai. My name is a mouthful after all." Oli grinned.

Oli nodded her head as a form of greeting to a cyclops walking by.

"Well Rebecca, what's your definition of human?" Olimpiada grinned, she winked at the new student in front of her. "I may pass as one if you're going by a traditional definition. But that just makes it easier to do magic, doesn't it?"

Rebecca put on her best smile as she followed Oli. Makes it easier to do magic. Ha. Guess denial's not just a river in Egypt after all.

When Oli mentioned how being human helped, she shook her head. "Hardly. I can't manage to cast a single spell. Everything I do just has no effect. Maybe I'm not doing something right, this time last week, I thought magic was just a bunch of nonsense." Rebecca shrugged idly as they got closer to the dorm rooms. "Shows how much I know, right?"

Olimpiada tilted her head, she knew how hard it is to do magic, especially when one is a beginner.

"Magic takes much patience and practice," Olimpiada smiled, "Though I'm sure you've heard that far too many times."

Olimpiada stopped in her tracks for a second, remembering some advice her childhood best friend taught her when she was frustrated with magic.

"Hey Rebecca," Oli started, "Have you ever just let the magic and its energy flow through you? Just stop and pause to feel it from your fingers to your neck to your arms. Just let it flow. "

Part of her hoped she made sense, when she was taught about that advice, her best friend Nyx gave her a riddle. It was such a pain to figure out.

Rebecca thought about it for a second. Maybe she had been trying too hard after all. She looked at the grass and let her magic flow out. Instantly, the grass shriveled up and turned brown, stinking to high hell with the odor of rot.

The newbie took a gigantic step back, a look of shock on her face. "I swear, I was only trying to turn it red!"

Olimpiada's smile faded as she witnessed the grass shrivel up and turn brown under Rebecca's magic. A look of concern etched across her face as she realized that Rebecca might be struggling with control over her magical abilities. She put a hand on Rebecca's shoulder.

"Rebecca, it's okay," Olimpiada said softly. "Magic is a powerful force, and it can be hard to control at first. But with practice and patience, you will learn to harness it properly."

She took a deep breath and continued, "Let's try again, but this time, I'll guide you through it."

She knew how hard it was to control magic, she looked down at the grass, these things happen. One of the plant based witches will see these later, they'll probably freak out but then help it as best they can.

"Alright, walk me through it. Explain it to me like I'm a five-year-old, hell, there probably are five-year-olds who are better at it than me." Rebecca pouted at her own incompetence and ineptitude, but she was willing to learn.

Oli smiled at Rebecca, "Don't worry. Five year olds couldn't possibly do something this... interesting."

Olimpiada bit her tongue, hoping that didn't come off in any disrespectful manner. She then turned to Rebecca.

"So, show me your most basic spell. It could be something as basic as turning that cloud in the sky your favorite color," Oli said, pointing at the cloud above the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back