• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Heroic Edda (Norse Inspired, Demons, and Medieval Badassery)

I'll be working on it as soon as I can, things have just been somewhat crazy after my return from vacation a day and half back, work hit me right in the face with an iron fist

I added a new rule to the rules page. No pre-made characters from other games. I just cannot accept them.

Now you can take the personality or idea and make a CS inspired from it here, but if you legit send me a CS from another game and expect me to accept it. I will not and cannot. There is so much lore that could have been created in the CS and a writer short changes themselves by sending me something for another game.

So please give me characters specifically made for this game and please delve into the current lore and build off of it. It makes for a stronger CS. I will not accept a CS where it looks like you barely worked on it. Take your time with the CS. I am not asking for a dissertation. I am all about quality over quantity. Sometimes good quality adds quantity. As long as you demonstrate that you know what you are sending me, then you are good. Characters will develop further over time. But for now establish a solid foundation for character development.

So I'd like to touch something here:
Since the tree only landed some decades ago, why is there no other religion than the Children of Joreba? What did people believe in before? Where do they think they'll go after death?
Also: if there is no other religion, are there shamans of some kind?

The people believe in the kings (used to be queens also pre-tree). Because the kings lineage supposedly stretches back to the beginning of humankind but as you see there is more than one king. More than one interpretation and some of them could be a lie. But thus explains the division because there always have to be division when it comes to human nature. MechanicalSnake MechanicalSnake

I am still in, but work went a little crazy when I returned from vacation and dumped on me everything other people have not done while I was gone, I have yet to catch up, which will hopefully be done by the end of the weekend. Working on CS now tho.

Alright here's my novel for your inspiration:

Name: Einar Egilsson
Nickname: /
Alias: Einar has no alias yet, but he wishes to gain one for his performance in battle or other heroic deeds, like his father. For reasons listed in backstory, that has not happened (yet).
D.O.B.: 34 A.A.?.
Birthplace: Einar was born in the far North of Dawn, in a village called Skorravig which later became the centre of a union of five tribes
Race: Daemon
Height: 1.85 m
Hair Color: Blond
Eye Color: Blue
Daemon Color: Under normal circumstances, Einar's eyes are just a little brighter blue than one would expect. When angry or shifting, they turn turquiose, the color sometimes spilling even into the whites.
Skin: Human, pale.Tatoos of serpents on both arms. Several scars on his chest and back.
Physique: Athletic
Personality: Einar’s a no-nonsense kind of person - one who gets things done, no matter how unpleasant, and doesn’t tolerate cowardice. Initially, he might seem as too serious or bossy, but somewhere down the road, most people will realize it’s mostly a way to gain some respect, compensate for his relative youth and the status of an outlier, which he hadn't been used to earlier in his life.
His personality is a mix of various influences. As a result, on one hand, he does believe problems are best solved with an axe (or claws and teeth), but on the other hand he is capable of finding a diplomatic solution or even use his charisma to sway people when it seems to fit the situation better. He is fierce in a battle, but doesn’t necessarily seek out conflicts, unless offended on a personal level. Being mocked or insulted is the one thing that usually results in a violent outburst. Other than that, he can control his temper and even utilizes meditation that he’d learned during his time with the druid.
Einar goes through life with a quite simple moral code: he will always be loyal to his clan and to those who fight alongside him. Which, however, doesn’t have to mean he likes them and views them as friends. Oaths are unbreakable for him. People who are excellent warriors or great leaders with values similar to his naturally have his respect.
In general, Einar tends to be distrustful of other people, until they have proven themselves to be trustworthy repeatedly. Sometimes, he prefers to spend time in nature and in the company of animals, whom he has learned to understand even more in the recent years. He has great respect for nature. When hunting for food, he will always make sure that only the absolutely necessary amount of animals were killed, and that every part of their body, including bones, skin, horns or feathers was utilized, so that they wouldn’t have died in vain.
He is driven by a constant need to prove himself, be respected and belong somewhere – things he used to have, but was robbed off (unjustly, in his point of view) by being revealed as a daemon. He hopes for a time to come, when his kind won't be seen as an aberration. A part of him still perceives himself as human, which makes him an outsider even in the company of daemons who'd grown up as being something other.
Background: Einar was born in the far North of Dawn, in the village of Skorravig, as the fourth son of Egil the Fearless, a famous jarl who united the Raven, Bear and Elk tribes into one powerful force. His early life was, both positively and negatively, marked by the fact that he happened to be his father’s favorite son - perhaps because he was Egil’s only child born out of his second, far happier marriage, after many years of trying. As such, he was raised in a manner that would prepare him for inheriting his father’s post one day and becoming a leader. Since his father was a close friend to the king of Dawn, who believed in progress and considered the power of knowledge equally important as that of a firm axe-wielding hand in leading a nation, Einar's life was composed not only physical training and gaining proficiency with a number of weapons, but also diplomacy and education - at least to a degree that was available in the North.
Einar's mother also had a large influence on his life, albeit of a different kind. As far as he could remember, she had always been overprotective of him, making sure to observe his playing with other kids and calling him home whenever a game seemed to get too rough; she'd even try to stop the constant fights with his older brothers. She also made sure to pick the person who would teach him the art of combat – her own brother. He often felt she was hovering over him like a constant, restrictive presence, which resulted in many arguments as he was growing up into a teenager. It was during one such arguments that he learnt why, as his powers suddenly demonstrated. Only then was he told the truth: his mother, unable to give her husband a child, had been trying all the well proven methods, and when they failed, she visited a shaman, who lived in the forest as a recluse, approached only in dire need. Quite desperate, she agreed to undergo a ritual, which involved a demon and resulted in her pregnancy.
Needless to say this revelation shook up Einar's life and changed his relationship with his mother beyond repair. Nevertheless, he felt he had no choice than keep the secret, so that he wouldn't lose the life he had and the man he would always see as his father. As a result, he became much more guarded and less sociable, trying not to give himself away. And perhaps this would have been working out for him much longer than it had, if not for his older brothers, all of whom saw themselves more qualified to rule, and more worthy of their father's attention. The three of them developed a great number of smart ways of tormenting, mocking or assaulting him that wouldn’t get them punished. It became painfully obvious that sooner or later, things would escalate badly. That happened on the day of Einar’s 18th birthday, when he was supposed to go through the mandatory adulthood exam, spending a week alone in the mountains with nothing but a knife. His brothers followed Einar a day later and prepared a trap for him in the forest. It never became clear whether they actually meant to cause him real harm or just spook him, but as soon as he noticed he was under attack, Einar turned into a bear and fought back, realizing too late who he was in combat with. Even though he was wounded in the fight, which gave him a number of scars, he soon managed to chase his brothers away.
There was little doubt they exposed him on the first occasion and Einar knew too well he couldn't go back. Instead, he decided to cross the mountains and continue South, as far away as he could. Since then, he has been traveling the lands and offering his skills for hire to any tribes at war, pirates, merchants in need of protection or demon hunters.
Gear: Einar likes to dress practical but expensive and, above all, clean (he would usually carry an extra set of clothing for that reason). For protection, he wears a shield as well as leather armor, as he doesn't like the heavy types that make shifting more difficult.
Weapon: Because a great axe tends to solve a lot of problems, it's Einars prefered type of weapon. He is, however, equally efficient with a throwing axe. Aside of that, he'd always have a bow with ten arrows and a knife or two.
Daemon Power: Shapeshifting. Einar can take the form of any animal, gaining the natural abilities of the creature – their strength, speed, vision, smell, the ability to fly/swim or cause damage with their claws/teeth/beak. He can also shapeshift into humans and daemons, which doesn't give him the ability to replicate their special powers; he will just have the generic abilities of the species. He can only turn into animal species / people and daemons he has seen / met in his life, not those he's only heard or read of, even if they were described to him by a witness. If he has heard a person speak, he can also use their voice.
Extra: Einar rides a Clydesdale-type mare that he appropriated on his last raid. He'd also adopted a raven back in his home country; currently, it is his closest companion. He taught it to say simple phrases such as “Burn in Hel” or “I want eyeballs”, which the birds uses at random, freaking out unknowing passer-bys.

The Black Knight The Black Knight : I love this! I have to admit I have next to no knowledge of Norse Mythology, and the things this is inspired by I have not watched- but I do have an idea, so I have to ask if it is possible in the world you created! I have a character that is a medium of sorts, where spirits (or perhaps demon souls in this case?) take over in case of combat. (though also in other cases) This can be very versatile, but also extremely dangerous, as there's plenty of 'weak' ones to take over. Of course they would still be limited to her own body and its prowess, which is mainly in magic (in her own lore it's akin to Warlock-type magic, dark and otherworldly) not in physical combat. If this were allowed I could make a list of a few 'set' spirits to roll the dice on, so that I can't just pull a sudden good advantage one out of my ass so to speak. xD

Sorry if I am proposing something very impossible! I read the lore you put up in the first post, but that is the only thing I can go by as I don't know anything about Norse Mythology.

(Oh and to clarify! It's not a character from another game. I make the personality and general notable features for each character, and the rest can fully shape itself according to the world. I just enjoy building characters for a long while instead of making new ones all the time. :) )

Last edited:
The Black Knight The Black Knight : I love this! I have to admit I have next to no knowledge of Norse Mythology, and the things this is inspired by I have not watched- but I do have an idea, so I have to ask if it is possible in the world you created! I have a character that is a medium of sorts, where spirits (or perhaps demon souls in this case?) take over in case of combat. (though also in other cases) This can be very versatile, but also extremely dangerous, as there's plenty of 'weak' ones to take over. Of course they would still be limited to her own body and its prowess, which is mainly in magic (in her own lore it's akin to Warlock-type magic, dark and otherworldly) not in physical combat. If this were allowed I could make a list of a few 'set' spirits to roll the dice on, so that I can't just pull a sudden good advantage one out of my ass so to speak. xD

Sorry if I am proposing something very impossible! I read the lore you put up in the first post, but that is the only thing I can go by as I don't know anything about Norse Mythology.

(Oh and to clarify! It's not a character from another game. I make the personality and general notable features for each character, and the rest can fully shape itself according to the world. I just enjoy building characters for a long while instead of making new ones all the time. :) )

I am trying to understand what you are asking. You want to make a "daemon" right? Who can summon spirits into herself? Those spirits will then possess her...I am wondering if she takes on the personality of the spirit that is taking control? Because I do not mind this ability, however, you have to present me a set amount of spirits because you're only allowed. "ONE" ability and therefore, she would only be allowed to do that with ONE spirit until throughout the game she acquires more ability slots.

I am trying to understand what you are asking. You want to make a "daemon" right? Who can summon spirits into herself? Those spirits will then possess her...I am wondering if she takes on the personality of the spirit that is taking control? Because I do not mind this ability, however, you have to present me a set amount of spirits because you're only allowed. "ONE" ability and therefore, she would only be allowed to do that with ONE spirit until throughout the game she acquires more ability slots.

Yes it would involve being taken over personality-wise and ability-wise! Though still within her own limits. (So no sudden super strength or whatever!) I can do a set amount of spirits, perhaps only two or three, of which one can do nothing, one is weak and one is strong, perhaps? That way in a sense it's still one ability? As one spirit would take away the weakness of the ability, AKA, randomly being taken over by one that can't do anything except perhaps slap something, hah!

Yes it would involve being taken over personality-wise and ability-wise! Though still within her own limits. (So no sudden super strength or whatever!) I can do a set amount of spirits, perhaps only two or three, of which one can do nothing, one is weak and one is strong, perhaps? That way in a sense it's still one ability? As one spirit would take away the weakness of the ability, AKA, randomly being taken over by one that can't do anything except perhaps slap something, hah!

I was imagining the spirits having lived before like the spirit of a swordsman or the spirit of a thief. Not made up creatures.

I was imagining the spirits having lived before like the spirit of a swordsman or the spirit of a thief. Not made up creatures.

No that is what I meant! I just meant that one could be a farmer and thus not much use in combat, while another might've indeed been a swordsman or the like. :)

DapperCat DapperCat The only thing I find difficult to pull off is you want multiple for one ability slot. That would be like having multiple different abilities for one ability slot, and I don't think it'll work. It would have to be one spirit until they acquired the power to make pacts with more. If you do it this way, then you won't need to randomize. The character could have agreements with specific spirits.

DapperCat DapperCat The only thing I find difficult to pull off is you want multiple for one ability slot. That would be like having multiple different abilities for one ability slot, and I don't think it'll work. It would have to be one spirit until they acquired the power to make pacts with more. If you do it this way, then you won't need to randomize. The character could have agreements with specific spirits.

Hmm it would take away the weakness of the ability. *thinks* I get your point though, don't worry! I have one more character that could fit this though! Would immense strength take up her ability slot? :)

The Black Knight The Black Knight - I'm interested. Just have a quick question- if I made a character with the ability to morph their body into a living shadow, and in that form, they could assume whatever shape they wished, would that be allowed? The reason I ask is that it might be considered a combination of shadow abilities and shapeshifting. If I went with this power, the rules/ limits would be that the character's shadow form grows stronger/larger in the light and smaller/weaker in the darkness, but can only expand or shrink within certain parameters. They can control the density of their shadow form and spread out however much they want as long as the total "volume" of their shadow stays the same. They can also turn certain parts of their body into shadow while retaining their bodily form everywhere else.

If I do wind up running with the character idea that comes along with this power, they'll be a daemon inspired by the Dökkálfar of Norse mythology, or perhaps a Huldrefolk, which I thought would be interesting and in keeping with the world you've created.

Last edited:
DapperCat DapperCat Monday Monday Due to this game not having responses or much interest for such a long time, I have already moved on from this and so I am not going through with this idea. I apologize. This game just didn't draw enough attention for me to go through with this idea. The majority who showed interest in the past never dropped CSes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back