Advice/Help Help with Staying in Groups?

Revna Eris

Overachiever
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
So... I don't know if this is a common issue. I'm going to be straight up here, I don't know if I have anxiety, depression, or anything else that might prevent interacting in groups...

I am not the most social person on this site, I try to be friendly, but I find it hard to talk to people at times just individually, it feels awkward, I'm constantly worried about messing up and... Well...

I find it hard to be in groups... I've tried to start group roleplays, I've tried to join group roleplays, and there have been one or two times where I've considered trying to interact more with forums that are more social/playful that have nothing to do with roleplaying on the site.

Sometimes it's a lack of motivation that keeps me from joining/continuing to stay in groups... Sometimes I'm extremely anxious at the thought but can't be sure if it's even anxiety. I've had bad experiences with groups in general in the past... I just don't know.

Anyone have any advice to help me with this? I've passed up so many roleplays, or held so many roleplays back... I hate that I've done this, and I want to fix it for the future...

My own anxiety was always lessened by clear expectation for myself and others. I wouldn’t try starting any groups in the near future as they require a lot of managerial experience and organization. It’s hard for even experienced role players to do them properly.

Instead I would look for groups with clear rules and expectations for your engagement. A clear idea of how the story is progressed, a clear idea of how often you must post, some kind of post schedule so you aren’t overlooked, and of course an idea is you can engage with.

Another option is go into 1x1, you don’t have to be particular social in those. I have had plenty of partners who only talked to me about the role play or when they were going on vacation and nothing else. I personally am a bit more sociable but I’m also fine working with a less talkative person as long as they are open to communicate about the role play itself.

plus 1x1 partners can accommodate a fluctuating schedule and mental health issues a lot easier than groups.

As someone with PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety, I also find it hard to be social. It can be hard to become friends or connect with strangers. I joined this site in the darkest moments of my life to find something to distract myself. I didn't stick with any RP group that I tried to take part in.

My advice is to find a therapist. Work through what is going on emotionally and find the root of why you are anxious/depressed. I found that once I had a support system and was working towards bettering my life, I could reach out more and be more social.

Another tip: Don't take on more than you can handle. Remember, you have to balance your life. If you are in school, work, and have other hobbies, remember NOT to fill all of your remaining time with RPs. You also need time to do some self-care and recharge from social obligations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back