Advice/Help Help? Please and thanks!!

DarthMillicent

Doesn’t Play Straight Dudes Romantically
Hi hello!! I am Millieeeee and I need help? I am looking for some older RP-ers who’ve been around a bit like I have!

I’ve been rping for like... 10 years now? And lately every time I really like a story and try... my partner drops out? And it’s not even like they just disappear? They always write me a nice note and tell me things aren’t working but never want to talk afterwards... anyway. I was wondering if maybe someone could read some of the stuff I’ve been dropped off of and maybe help me with some tips???

Well, first things first, this isn't necessarily about anything you did. The fact of the matter is that unfortunate as it may be, most roleplays fail. Whether it be from waning interest, life circumstances or what have you, this is something that's going to happen and expecting it not to is setting yourself up for disappointment. I recommend first considering a strategy for coping with failure, over trying to avoid the inevitable.

I've looked around your threads, search threads and roleplay alike, and I honestly don't see anything particularly wrong with them. They seem to follow the book very well for a good interest check and the roleplays seem like a typical healthy casual roleplay would be expected to be. The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe you're being too impatient, but I don't have enough indicators to really make such a claim.

So the only thing I can really think is maybe there's a clue, if anywhere, on your PMs, but unfortunately I can't read those.

Sorry that I couln't be more helpful, but here are my two cents on the subject.

I'm echoing the post above mine. It's likely not your fault, or anyone's fault, even. Finding another writer whose style and interests are consistently compatible is tough.

If you're like me and do solo writing too, you've probably experienced periods where you don't feel like working on your own projects, even. It's just like that. Inspiration and motivation are fickle creatures.

It's just like that. Inspiration and motivation are fickle creatures.
While this is true, you shouldn't rely on inspiration too much. The more you rely on those, the more dependent on them you become. However, they themselves are dependent on your body, the easier a task feels the more easily your body will be motivated to do it. In other words if you don't work on the writing when you do not have the motivation, it will become harder and harder to get motivation and inspiration alike. On the other hand, if you build good and diligent habits, these will come more often and naturally.

Is there a common comment that comes up when people leave? For instance I know one of the more common bits of feedback I get is that I am overly organized and my research habits for setting up lore can be intimidating.

So I learned that I have to let people know off the bad the level of world building I like to do and roughly how long it will take me.

And even then I get a lot of peope that drop with and without warning.

But that said I’m not willing to compromise on world building because it’s my favorite part of roleplaying. So I would honestly rather have no roleplays than one I know I won’t enjoy.

So my advice is to look at the feedback your getting and see if it’s something you can address OR if it’s just a non-negotiable part of your roleplay experience.

If you need help with specific tips on an issue you can PM me directly or post here for more opinions.

But the key to remember is this : Quality is better than quantity. If your so busy trying to figure out how to please other people that you forget how to enjoy yourself roleplay is going to become a slog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back