Idea Help Me Pick RP Idea's (a Grim Fantasy and a Disturbed Future)

Which RP has the most potential?

• Role Play A (Grim Fantasy)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Role Play B (Disturbed Future)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Croaker

Little Horned Boy
Recently I've had a particularly nasty string of sleep-paralysis induced hallucinations and nightmares. These dreams, paired with the pain meds I had been taking after dental surgery, have contorted my mind into a bit of a muddled mess – or rather, made it more so – and I've been stewing in the rot of my own imagination for a few days now since I can't work as much as I'd like to.
Admittedly, I became obsessed with a few of these dreams, and in a desperate attempt at amusement, I began to develop stories based around these vivid imaginings of mine. Ever since then, I've had this itch to start a Role Play of my own based around one of these dreams, and I've managed to narrow what exactly I want down to two ideas. At this point, I just want some feed back from this community.
Down below are very general descriptions for my two ideas. If you have a second, feel free to vote in the poll above for which RP you think has the most potential. I'll be responding to questions and comments as well.

Role Play A (A Grim Fantasy):
The world is ancient and diverse, bountiful with unique cultures and people. Her history, long and unpleasant, is defined by ages of conflict and the doctrine of tyrants. Her face is scared by the blades of war, blemished by the chemical fires we set upon her. Empires rise and fall, conquest after conquest claiming this land. Though many aspects of this world might change, these things would not. It was a comfortable cycle, and one that would keep spinning – it seemed – for all of eternity.
I once heard someone speak about the three stages of an empire, the three generations. First came the conquerors, unstoppable in war. Then came the administrators, who bound it all together into one apparently unshakable, immortal edifice. Then came the wasters, who knew no responsibility and squandered the capital of their inheritance upon whims and vices. And fell to other conquerors.
This is our world; in it’s barest of essences.

Humanity had grown weary of its Gods, and in an age known as “The Age of Creation” we set out to make our own.
Humanity was successful, so in an act of defiance and rage, we set our new creations savagely upon our own Creators. We took the heavens for ourselves, and ascended in cities constructed from bricks of sky, and in the planes of starlight humanity danced nakedly, bathed in the glow of our now burning Creators.
Seven days of fire.
Shortly after that it all came tumbling apart, as our constructed Gods turned on us for reasons unknown. They tore us down, and as we fell from the heavens back to earth, our creations burned up and all but one have hid themselves away.
Life in the modern age is grim. Technology from The Age of Creation has been lost to the annals of time. Secrets that our forefathers once knew have died with the Gods, sending whatever is left of humanity back to the dark ages. Yet, it is widely believed that if one were to find and take control of one of the hidden Gods, the world’s ancient secrets would become readily available once again. Because of this, multiple factions have arisen and now scour this grim planet for traces of the old world and its mighty Gods. These factions find themselves constantly at odds, warring with one another, spilling blood over old relics and clues to the unyielding mystery of our Gods. At the same time, the final God, Ithisis, roams the land. He is like a force of nature, appearing randomly and for unknown reasons, unstoppable and all-powerful. His goals are unclear, all that is known is that he acts as a God does, breathing life into strange and bizarre creations, and destroying on a whim. He surrounds himself with a council of mortals who aid him in his quest, whatever it might be.

In my mind (though nothing I say here should be considered final just yet) this particular Roleplay will be largely of the sandbox/open world variety. The setting is very Gothic, the landscape of this world is scattered with ruins and corpses. Catacombs lie beneath city streets and the bones of the damned find their way into the architecture of buildings occasionally. Colonies of lepers and plagued individuals bite at the walls of great cities and lurk in their alleys along with other miscreants who'll slit your throat for a few copper. That sort of thing.
Player’s will make characters and decide where they stand with each faction. There will be a heavy PvP focus as each faction fights over clues and old world relics, meanwhile the wrath of Ithisis will come when I deem it fit.
This God, the one that still walks the earth, is in many ways a weather pattern. He can be forecasted, but he cannot be stopped. Not yet at least. The best people can do is prepare for Ithisis and take precautions to lessen his destruction.
I think I’ve included what’s important for now, but if anything else comes up I’ll be sure to update.

Role Play B (A Disturbed Future):
Hundreds of years have passed since the last human has been seen. Where they have gone is speculated often, but no definite answer can ever be reached.
They are worshipped, reveled, as all Gods should be. They were creators after all, great beings that gave life with the snap of a finger, and though they are gone now, they have not been forgotten. Many believe they will return one day, and that is why the war continues.
No one can be sure how long ago it was, but at one point or another a great conflict broke out amongst the humans, so great in fact, that the many nations of humans dissolved, for the unrest amongst each populace was far too great. The world had become divided, and any person who didn’t pick a side was to be caught in the crossfire, consumed by the engines of this war.
Perfect AI was developed, and soon great autonomous monstrosities carved through battlefields, eliminating without prejudice. Androids fought by the side of their creators but before long man retreated from the battle field altogether. The human populace grew thin – and as more and more cities fell – disappeared altogether. Yet, even with the disappearance of the master race, Androids, Golems and Automaton still fight the human’s war. No one remembers the purpose of the conflict, but the fight continues. Cities are leveled and rebuilt by automated machines, an endless cycle.

Inhabiting the world now is a race entirely mechanical and not much unlike the humans – in both appearance and function. Though some machines are much simpler and with out a perfect AI system or human aesthetic, they still have purpose designated by the great humans who left this place, and continue to work as they were told.

This particular idea is currently less fleshed out than my previous one, and I will say that I am unsure as to the exact style of RP I want to go with here. Of course, I’m open to suggestions and feedback. I was thinking that it would – for the most part –take place in one of the faction’s capital cities, in which we will have a team of law enforcement/military characters and a team of characters who have infiltrated this city and are acting as spies and/or terrorists, with goals to destroy the capital city. That being said, I’m also not opposed to this kind of just being a Sandbox/Open WorldCity RP, where people make their characters and they can run amuck as they see fit through out the setting I’ve created. I do know, however, that I want this story to be mostly focused on one specific metropolis in this world, just for the sake of simplicity.
Any who, give me your thoughts, and as always I’ll be sure to update if anything comes up.

Feedback and questions are welcome! Please vote, I am indecisive.

Last edited:
Update: I've received two comments, thus far, giving me feed back as to the play style for this role play (which is the aspect I've had the most troube planning). I'll post the comments here just for the sake of organization.
sheesh sheesh
"The Disturbed future rp could be a fun event based RP. Having the players being able to fight terrorists or be the terrorists themselves is a fine idea. The Grim fantasy one could be a fun sandbox to, but I think it may have to be event driven as well, since the goal is to find clues to where the old gods are, no one would know where to start in your world."

Longhead Longhead
"The disturbed future one could be a really fun arena/pvp rp based rp. It doesn't really need a story, I'd say. Terrorists vs anti-terrorists would be a really fun event based type of thing, like onion said. For the Grim fantasy one, sandboxes tend to die without any kind of goal, like an antagonist or something(it's probably gonna have to be you [unless another player steps up]) and might have to be loosely story driven."

I voted for the fantasy concept. I've always been drawn to distinct and competing fantasy faction roleplays. I also love the idea of a god who materializes as bad weather/storms. Imo you should have more than one of those (with varying power levels) to punish the world.

I voted for the fantasy concept. I've always been drawn to distinct and competing fantasy faction roleplays. I also love the idea of a god who materializes as bad weather/storms. Imo you should have more than one of those (with varying power levels) to punish the world.
Thank you for the vote, friend!
I will say I don't want to oversaturate the world with Gods just yet, partly because the goal is to awaken more of them, and partly because the council of "mortals" that Ithisis associates with are already demi-god status (with varying power levels) and will be important and powerful forces acting in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back