• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Help, feedback & suggestions

IronTaurus

Hello I have posted several times about my rp world in this forum but since the amount of feedback has been slim I will try this approach; I require help in the form of suggestions and feedback about my world. It is getting quite large now and I do not have anyone that can give a second oppinion and this is difficult for me because I can never know im going the right way with things until my players experience it. So faar I have been doing alright but since my world grow more and more I have a feeling I will soon create something I will regret and thus I require your help to make me stay on track.

Anyone interested in this? I prefer people who can take time to read what I have written since I have written a lot.

Any feedback and help in any category is helpful so if you only want to help me with a certain subject that is fine.

These are the different categories:

1. World map and continents as a concept.

2. Select continents history and traditions.

3. Religions.

4. World history and legends.

Many thanks!

1. A well defined world map can be the most important thing for a nation-building RP. Environmental conditions determine the interests of a nation based off its has and has nots; you can, for example, take a look at Russia and all of its struggles for access to the Black Sea to see how much these have an effect in world developement. Having a specific world map can change the whole set of conditions that people may have; an extremely snowy map can make people fight for fertile lands, a map with little to no big water concentrations might render boats useless, etc.

An easy way to think about history is the evolution of people wanting to do more for their lives, communities and families. By thinking of an environment, you can build the idea of what a population can have and what they could possibly want. It is always easy to make something from scratch to suit your needs, but much like humans, we didn't shape Earth from day one. I think it is better to use randomly generated maps and tweak them a bit for specifics. I use two online apps for this:

http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/ (For OK worldmaking)

http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp (For Pro worldmaking)

2. Pretty much like in the last question, 'An easy way to think about history is the evolution of people wanting to do more for their lives, communities and families.' To come up with cultures, you have to think of a time where humans didn't have lots of means to explain the universe around them, so they justified their actions and beliefs with a mixture of their available knowledge, the observable phenomena surrounding their habitat and lots of social constructs. Culture is the product of applied belief and custom, so it must be thought as a tool for people to better understand themselves and the world around them given a set of conditions. Bear in mind that explanations aren't necessairily religious; you can take a look at Comanche culture in the Southern Plains of the US to see an example of this.

3. History would be the continuation of outcomes once the aspects specified in 1 and 2 are defined into your universe. You can be very creative with this by thinking of results to certain situations and making a series of events as for how nations got big and how others fell. This is fun to do alone, but I think it is better in a roleplay to scratch a background and let players add onto it with their own creativity. Diversity often breeds for some very tasty worlds :P

Those would be my basic tips~~! Hope they help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back