• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Digital hello there! introducing me n my art

This is really good.:O

Do you mind me asking, what sort of things you yearn to do with your art in the future?

Also, was this with or without reference?

This is really good.:O

Do you mind me asking, what sort of things you yearn to do with your art in the future?

Also, was this with or without reference?
The lighting study had reference, the purple girl did not.

I hope to first go full time and pay bills with art. Hopefully one day I can work towards shipping games though! Or working in a game studio :0 both would be epic

That's an awesome dream! my own is similar. you definitely have the skills to make that a real possibility.

I happen to have a younger sister who has already accomplished the dream of being a full time independent artist, and has been managing to pay all of her bills with her art, for several years now. it took her perhaps 5 years to get there. but it's definitely possible.

wow, both are fantastic. really well done. being able to produce work to that degree of quality without a reference is a real accomplishment.

That's an awesome dream! my own is similar. you definitely have the skills to make that a real possibility.

I happen to have a younger sister who has already accomplished the dream of being a full time independent artist, and has been managing to pay all of her bills with her art, for several years now. it took her perhaps 5 years to get there. but it's definitely possible.

wow, both are fantastic. really well done. being able to produce work to that degree of quality without a reference is a real accomplishment.
Can I ask what she did to get there? I struggle a lot with the business and networking side of things. My primary issue is how non committal I am, which I think is important when creating an audience.

My goodness, you’re incredibly talented!!! Beautiful pieces ❤️ I wish you so much luck with achieving your dreams of supporting yourself with artwork! If you ever open commissions I’d be only to thrilled to support you by buying a few 🥰

Can I ask what she did to get there? I struggle a lot with the business and networking side of things. My primary issue is how non committal I am, which I think is important when creating an audience.
Absolutely.
Though I can only give a rough idea, from what i've observed of her journey. We were somewhat distant up until recently due to a bit of a fight we had previously.

She started out like you, not very comfortable or confident with networking, and business side stuff.
I think that was the only reason she's taken so long. She's always had the artistic skills.
But she was fed up with her dayjob, and feeling unsatisfied with herself.
So she began pushing herself to get out to the local artcrawl. Which is a monthly event in our city where a small city street downtown becomes overrun by local artists, who set up stalls and sell art. Musicians come out to busk etc.

She didn't sell much at first, and was very shy, but she made some friends with fellow artists, and made enough little sales, or just nice comments. Which all encouraged her to keep coming back every month, and she always setup at the same spot.

As she started inviting her friends to come hang out at her stall during the art crawls, she began to feel more comfortable talking to people, and she began really getting to know the local poluation on a personal level. Business owners, local famillies, she started connecting with them on social media so they could keep up with one another.

She had trouble staying motivated to complete her projects at first.
But then started working on allot of collaborative projects. Helping to run a free local life drawing night, created a small comic book with some friends, and a ton of other little passion projects.
This kept her going and motivated, when her art was still struggling to really make money for her.

People who liked her work would return many months later, and say, "oh! That one piece I liked is still here!" And she slowly started to get sales and commissions rolling in, and more followers on social media, who were really invested in supporting her career.
Business owners started hiring her to do murals, and pieces for their store, etc.

From all the social networking, and collaborating she was doing, she started to gain confidence, and really bloomed socially, despite being quite introverted before.

About two years back she started to learn how to use hashtags, and promote herself better using social media, which has gotten her a ton more exposure beyond the local art crawl crowd.

The local lgbtq folks in particular, have been very supportive of her work.
She does artist nudes of people who might not be considered good looking by societies standards, and managed to chapter their charm.
allot of folks like that never get to see people like themselves, as being worthy of a painting. So I think they really valued her supporting them.

Eventually she no longer needed her part time job, and quit.

Now she's just doing her own thing.
She just keeps doing whatever inspires her, from theatre, to paintings, to tattooing people, to murals, props, and more.

===================

I think the main points to take away from her journey are....

Follow your curiosity and don't be afraid to try new things.

Make an effort to support other creators, ask them about their art, learn about them, forge connections, especially with those who's creativity overlaps with your own.

Collaborate, use those connections to help motivate you to do projects. Everything is far easier when you have others to help fan the creative flames with you.

Don't be afraid to share your aspirations with those that care for you, and ask for their support, assistance and advice when you need it. Letting people help you, lets them be a part of your story, and increases their investment in you.

And that's about all i've got.
Things will be a bit different, depending on the sort of art you want to do.

My own plans are radically different from hers, because i'm a digital art purist, and my intention is to go towards making interactive digital comics, and or illustrated novels, and maybe someday indie video games.

So i'm a bit less focused on local scenes, and more focused on the internet scene. Which is part of the reason I'm on RPnation tbh.

I hope to find people with similar dreams in their head, and forge connections in order to help motivate one another.

=================

Anyhow hope that wasn't too much, and hope it helps in some small way. :)

Absolutely.
Though I can only give a rough idea, from what i've observed of her journey. We were somewhat distant up until recently due to a bit of a fight we had previously.

She started out like you, not very comfortable or confident with networking, and business side stuff.
I think that was the only reason she's taken so long. She's always had the artistic skills.
But she was fed up with her dayjob, and feeling unsatisfied with herself.
So she began pushing herself to get out to the local artcrawl. Which is a monthly event in our city where a small city street downtown becomes overrun by local artists, who set up stalls and sell art. Musicians come out to busk etc.

She didn't sell much at first, and was very shy, but she made some friends with fellow artists, and made enough little sales, or just nice comments. Which all encouraged her to keep coming back every month, and she always setup at the same spot.

As she started inviting her friends to come hang out at her stall during the art crawls, she began to feel more comfortable talking to people, and she began really getting to know the local poluation on a personal level. Business owners, local famillies, she started connecting with them on social media so they could keep up with one another.

She had trouble staying motivated to complete her projects at first.
But then started working on allot of collaborative projects. Helping to run a free local life drawing night, created a small comic book with some friends, and a ton of other little passion projects.
This kept her going and motivated, when her art was still struggling to really make money for her.

People who liked her work would return many months later, and say, "oh! That one piece I liked is still here!" And she slowly started to get sales and commissions rolling in, and more followers on social media, who were really invested in supporting her career.
Business owners started hiring her to do murals, and pieces for their store, etc.

From all the social networking, and collaborating she was doing, she started to gain confidence, and really bloomed socially, despite being quite introverted before.

About two years back she started to learn how to use hashtags, and promote herself better using social media, which has gotten her a ton more exposure beyond the local art crawl crowd.

The local lgbtq folks in particular, have been very supportive of her work.
She does artist nudes of people who might not be considered good looking by societies standards, and managed to chapter their charm.
allot of folks like that never get to see people like themselves, as being worthy of a painting. So I think they really valued her supporting them.

Eventually she no longer needed her part time job, and quit.

Now she's just doing her own thing.
She just keeps doing whatever inspires her, from theatre, to paintings, to tattooing people, to murals, props, and more.

===================

I think the main points to take away from her journey are....

Follow your curiosity and don't be afraid to try new things.

Make an effort to support other creators, ask them about their art, learn about them, forge connections, especially with those who's creativity overlaps with your own.

Collaborate, use those connections to help motivate you to do projects. Everything is far easier when you have others to help fan the creative flames with you.

Don't be afraid to share your aspirations with those that care for you, and ask for their support, assistance and advice when you need it. Letting people help you, lets them be a part of your story, and increases their investment in you.

And that's about all i've got.
Things will be a bit different, depending on the sort of art you want to do.

My own plans are radically different from hers, because i'm a digital art purist, and my intention is to go towards making interactive digital comics, and or illustrated novels, and maybe someday indie video games.

So i'm a bit less focused on local scenes, and more focused on the internet scene. Which is part of the reason I'm on RPnation tbh.

I hope to find people with similar dreams in their head, and forge connections in order to help motivate one another.

=================

Anyhow hope that wasn't too much, and hope it helps in some small way. :)
No that was great! I think the internet is far too fast, and I’m jealous of a scene like a local art walk. We have had some nearby though, I don’t live in a huge city, but a bridge away from San Francisco and a highway away from the local art town. It’s a pretty cool inbetween.

I think I might want to try some form of art walk though. I’ve seen people with prints at them for a few dollars, andbayou just out your socials on the back. That would be much better, in my opinion, than instagram’s algorithm bleh.

But I do love meeting people who are interested in the same things as me. I’m just... soooooo conflicted on exactly what to do next. I feel very noncommittal words every idea of what to focus on because I want to do them all.

Maybe I should pick a name out of a hat and get to work lol.

but that was a very inspiring read. I am a digital art enthusiast as well, but the local collaboration sounds cool. I once heard of a friend whodid a local indie game, which would be amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back