• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Heart of the Sorceror

Enkerzed

Dusty Wanderer

Long ago, the Ancients sought to create the mind of a god so that their civilizations might prevail.

So that it might save them from themselves.

But in their desperate haste and folly, they created something terrible.

Something profane...

The Heart of the Sorceror

It was to be their salvation, but instead it became their doom.

Mad from the moment of its birth, the Sorceror made ruins of the old world

And for hundreds of years, we have fought to reclaim it.

Now brave Seeker, take heed...

Beware

Beware the machine, the mutant and the madman,

For they will stand in the way of your quest.

But above all else, beware the old enemy.

Beware the Sorceror...

Brave Seeker

It knows you have come for its heart.

So in a nutshell, the Sorceror is an AI controlled cloud of nanomachines that covers the entire world, rendering most of it inhospitable to life, and the Seekers are a group of people who have dedicated their lives to finding and destroying the heart of the Sorceror, deep in the centre of its 'body' (so to speak) so that normality might be restored to the world.

Ok, first off, more on the Sorceror. Originally designed to clean the world of pollution and fallout from several nuclear wars in the time of the 'Ancients', the Sorceror instead went absolutely berserk and changed the very nature of reality wherever it went. In events known as 'nanostorms', any living thing caught within suffers one of three fates: instant death, sudden mutation into monstrous forms with bizarre powers or being randomly transported somewhere else, all depending on the whims of the Sorceror at the time. To those familiar with Warhammer 40k lore, it's something like a warp storm.

As for what a nanostorm is actually like when it hits, it's something like this:

Except much more violent. Lightning falls like raindrops, up becomes down, down becomes up, the rumbling gets so loud that it can shatter glass and burst eardrums, and then the nanomachines make their descent, rearranging everything they touch without rhyme or reason.

The only ones safe from these nanostorms are either those living in underground settlements scattered throughout the world, primitives clinging onto old ruins and relying on whatever they can salvage to survive, or a remote island called 'Olisium' where the last civilized remnants of humanity exists. By a trick of geography or some other unseen force, this island is the only place in the world where the Sorceror dares not approach and it is here where the Seekers call their home.

Here on Olisium, the technology of the Ancients is not only well understood but also actively being improved upon. Think the Enclave from the Fallout series, except their fight is with a singular entity (the Sorceror), not the poor sods living under its gaze somewhere out in the wastes, though some of said sods actually worship the Sorceror as a god. These fanatics call themselves 'Stormsingers' and they view the Seekers of Olisium as demons come to destroy their way of life.

Asides from them, other threats come in the form of mutants, transformed and granted strange abilities by the effects of the nanostorms, and advanced war machines from the time of the Ancients, ranging from humanoid terminators to hulking steel behemoths that may as well be invincible monsters to the primitive survivors of the wastes, who mainly rely on gunpowder weaponry to defend themselves with.

And that's pretty much everything. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll take them into consideration as I flesh out the lore a bit before starting the roleplay.

Last edited:
I'll be lurking here for more info as well! First part has got me a little interested :3.

Updated. I know there's a lot more to cover like abilities and whatnot, so I'll address em as people ask. To start off with, these nanomachines are basically everywhere, but the Sorceror AI can only control so many at a time, so it's not like nanostorms are occurring absolutely everywhere all the time. That being said, these nanomachines are capable of just about anything and for all intents and purposes, it can be considered this roleplay's version of magic with the nanomachines themselves as mana. They get burned up through use, but eventually replicate again to replace whatever's lost. Mutants have an innate ability to control nanomachines as the Sorceror can, Seekers on the other hand must rely on special devices which I have yet to conceptualize. More on that later I suppose. Some examples of abilities for now are telekinesis, pyrokinesis, electrokinesis and telepathy.

My interest has risen! Enkerzed Enkerzed , will we play all from one location, so for example the underground civilizations? Or will we be scattered and brought together by fate/chance/purpose. Secondly, I have a Cyborg girl that's an inventor/scavenger, equipped with a mixture of old robotics and her own tinkering. Would that be fitting for your setting?

EDIT: I apologize, I think I missed the island part. Perhaps some can have traveled there? I'd love to know! Was thinking of my character being a roamer from the deserts.

ithinkcat ithinkcat Never knew about it until just now actually. Looks interesting, I can definitely see the similarities between it and this potential roleplay. Might look into it a bit more when I have the time, so thanks for mentioning it.

DapperCat DapperCat Yes, that would be a possibility, but only under very strict circumstances. Olisium doesn't just take any wasteland wanderer into its walls, it's usually only after they've performed some great deed or service that the prospect is even considered. Saving the lives of Seekers on the brink of death for example, or at the very least returning their bodies intact. I'm sure it goes without saying, but with the survival mentality of the typical wastelander, this would be a very rare occurrence indeed. Your cyborg character would either have to be uncommonly selfless or have been a great ally and friend to Seekers in the past. As they are currently, the island city of Olisium is very isolationist and tends to treat outsiders as uncivilized barbarians. The only way any outsider would be accepted is if they were viewed as one of the good ones.

Enkerzed Enkerzed Not a problem! I'll adapt to either possibility. :D You just let me know what to edit/change if/when this lifts off and I shall. ^^

Enkerzed Enkerzed

I would imagine the Seekers all have differing and uniting ideas on how to defeat this sorcerer. That being said are there any "Orders", "Clans" or such that have differing view and goals to defeat the sorcerer? Or are the seekers all unite under one banner?

Are there any enclaves or small communities that remain? I understand that there's the island city and cultists. I was wondering if the wasteland still hosts small groups that make trade with the island city. I understand they are the last civilized remains, so I imagine other survivors being techno barbarians, but they are still capable of some tech and level of society.

In regards to the sorcerer are they able to steal nanobots from our character if he so desires? I'm thinking in terms of a 1v1 and he decides to wax us off by just focusing all his power on just snatching our hard earned nanobots. Or are there safeguards built in against that eg. Self destruction, fire wall etc.

The weaponry of the age. What type of guns? Lasgun style or more bare bones bolt actions are the common weapons for seekers. Is there any warning among the humans? I understand Stormsingers VS. Seekers. What about those humans wandering the wastes or if there are other smaller human enclaves. Do they war amongst each other or focus on the forces of the sorcerer.

I apologize if you've already answered some of these questions. I'm just a little slower than your average Joe.

Cheers
TLA

DapperCat DapperCat Will do.

TheLoyalAcorn TheLoyalAcorn
That's okay, so am I.

I would imagine the Seekers all have differing and uniting ideas on how to defeat this sorcerer. That being said are there any "Orders", "Clans" or such that have differing view and goals to defeat the sorcerer? Or are the seekers all unite under one banner?

In terms of organization, the Seekers operate as a single group with their only divisions being different squads and teams. They're few to begin with, so it's not like they're even a proper army. The best thing to compare them to would actually be the Survey Corps from Attack on Titan. Few in number, fighting for what is largely seen to be a lost cause and doomed to live short lives with violent ends, no one really joins unless they truly believe in the mission to slay the Sorceror and end its tyranny over the world. That said though, there are indeed various ideas on how to go about doing that, but that's up to each individual team that ventures out into the wastes. Most end up dying, some return to regroup and retry, some others give up altogether... and a few, just a few, wind up going native and decide to live in the wastes which brings us to the next point.

Are there any enclaves or small communities that remain? I understand that there's the island city and cultists. I was wondering if the wasteland still hosts small groups that make trade with the island city. I understand they are the last civilized remains, so I imagine other survivors being techno barbarians, but they are still capable of some tech and level of society.

Yes, there are many groups of survivors throughout the wastes and a few of them are led or even founded by former Seekers. Such communities tend to fare better than others due to the technology and expertise these Olisians bring, but that also makes them primary targets for the Stormsingers (aka Stormsung) who are by far the largest and most aggressive faction out in the wastes. Such is their number that they pose a credible threat to Olisium itself and if it weren't for the sheer difference in technology levels, the city island would've fallen a long time ago. Taking that into consideration, no one would be dumb enough to trade openly with Olisium, lest they be suspected of siding with the 'demons', so it does happen but only in secret. Olisium is entirely self sufficient anyway, so it's not like they need to trade. They wouldn't at all if it weren't for the Seekers, who value information about the wastes highly enough to give something in return.

In regards to the sorcerer are they able to steal nanobots from our character if he so desires? I'm thinking in terms of a 1v1 and he decides to wax us off by just focusing all his power on just snatching our hard earned nanobots. Or are there safeguards built in against that eg. Self destruction, fire wall etc.

The nanobots work like this, if they're not being directly controlled by the Sorceror or anyone else, they just float about in the air in an inert state, waiting for instructions. The moment someone or something gives them any instructions, the nanomachines doing their bidding now belongs to them. But as I mentioned before, once the nanomachines exhaust their purpose, they burn out and others nearby begin to self replicate to replace the losses. The Sorceror can't take your nanobots if you're using them and vice versa, but the Sorceror will always be able to command far more than anyone else. The nanostorms are actually its main form of self defence... when it's not throwing a violent fit that is. But when it does detect a threat, that's when the storms stop being sporadic and just keep coming one after the next. They become focused and that's basically the reason why no one's managed to kill the Sorceror yet. Whenever they get close, it just spams nanostorms until they disappear. Pretty cheap, eh.

The weaponry of the age. What type of guns? Lasgun style or more bare bones bolt actions are the common weapons for seekers. Is there any warning among the humans? I understand Stormsingers VS. Seekers. What about those humans wandering the wastes or if there are other smaller human enclaves. Do they war amongst each other or focus on the forces of the sorcerer.

With weaponry, it's pretty straightforward. Gunpowder, bullets, blades, other conventional stuff = wastelander; lasers, powered armour, nanomancy (aka magic), other futuristic stuff = Seeker. Although wastelanders may sometimes possess salvaged tech, they have no means to manufacture it on their own (they just don't know how) so what they got is all they'll have. As for warfare, well, y'know what humans are like right? The answer is yes. Just yes.

And that's about it. If there's anything I missed or you'd like to know more, just say the word. This helps me too.

Last edited:
Posted this in the OOC, but more people seem to be around here so I figured I'd copy + paste.

~~~

So now that I'm working on the lore, I'm wondering if I should make specialized roles for the Seekers. A sort of fighter, rogue, mage archetypes deal except for the setting of the rp it'd be soldier, survivalist and scientist.

Soldiers would obviously be the muscle of the team, trained to use weapons, martial arts and tactics to protect everyone around them while using nanomancy to augment their combat effectiveness.

Survivalists on the other hand are specifically trained to be able to navigate the Wastelands on their own, know how to use old tech, sneak around, build traps, understand what kind of threats there are and how to deal with them, how to find food and shelter, use the environment to their advantage, stay alive. A bit of everything really.

As for scientists, if anyone would be able to figure out a way to slay the Sorceror, it'd be them. Having a deep understanding of physics, chemistry, technology and biology, and being able to apply that knowledge to their abilities, they'd be the nanomancers of the team and can control nanomachines on a level that the soldier or survivalist simply can't.

My main concern however is that Seekers are supposed to be able to do ALL of these things to some degree and if I included these roles, the rp would suddenly become more like a videogame or mmorpg, which would be fine considering the whole abilities aspect, but I wouldn't want it to detract from the story. Anyone care to share any thoughts on the matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back