• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Buttercup.

your ad here
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello, thanks for being here!

You guessed it, I'm trying to find people to write something fun with!
There's a lot of stuff I want to say but I'll try to keep this reasonably short, eh? (spoiler: I'm not great at keeping things all that short.)
I’ll try and highlight the important bits so you might want to start there and read the rest if it sounds good.

You and me

• Personal:
    • recently turned 30, not particular about pronouns (they/them will do)
    • a little neurodivergent as we call it these days, my characters tend to be too
    • other hobbies include music (listening, playing, writing, you name it), programming (recently started dabbling in C++ after years of experience with Game Maker's GML), animals and shitposting (I promise I'm more fun than my writing not targeted at a specific person makes it look)
  • Writing style:
    • 3rd person past tense, anything else feels weird
    • flexible length, but not too short (usually no less than 250ish words, haven't gone over 1600ish yet)
    • fairly little focus on visual descriptions (I don't enjoy writing or reading them very much)
    • I like some humour even with heavier topics because I'm an immature silly thing (and because contrast is a powerful artistic device)
  • RP-related info:
    • medium posting frequency which might fluctuate based on how busy I am and how I'm feeling in general
    • female mains for the most part, F×F pairings preferred for romance
    • some writing samples can be found via myProfile\postAreas\1×1
    • I do my best not to ghost
    • OOC in RPN messages or Discord, prefer onsite options for IC
  • Themes (in no particular order):
    • yay: fantasy, futuristic, modern, surreal, slowburn romance (who doesn't love some enemies to lovers honestly?), action, adventure, psychology, drama and a n g s t, some fluff can't hurt
    • nay: pure slice of life or romance, furry/anthro/whatever, school settings (or just about any extremely mundane setting)
    • no real triggers/limits to speak of (other than what's banned on RPN anyway)

• 20+ (not a hard rule if you otherwise seem mature enough)
  • 3rd person, preferably past tense
  • reasonable IC reply length (a one-liner or just one short paragraph will likely cause my interest to plummet)
  • decent English - as long as I can figure out what you meant without much trouble we're fine
  • not going overboard with descriptions if you can help it
  • a writing sample would be nice, but not required - I just consider it a handy way of getting an idea of whether our styles are fundamentally compatible before we spend hours in the planning stage, you know?
  • I prefer non-photographic face claims (including none) but it's not a hard rule
  • active OOC is nice - let's laugh at our characters, maybe even moan about irl stuff, share music, whatever - it's always nice to actually connect with the other person instead of just kinda being there together and exchanging posts without a word outside of that and yeah I think you get the point
  • on that note, please communicate with me if you're dissatisfied with anything or want to quit, I promise I don't bite, human teeth aren't very well suited for chewing raw flesh anyway

Original plots

Right, now for some random ideas. They’re all pretty bare-bones which is kinda the point, I want the resulting narrative to be a collaborative effort so please, if you decide to respond, try to offer some ideas for discussion. I’m totally open to other stuff in a vaguely similar vein (fantasy, futuristic and whatnot), so if you have any ideas of your own, I’m all ears! (I might actually prefer that if the idea is good, so don't hesitate to try me.)

(Unless specified otherwise, I'm willing to play either character.)
(Anything with a "NOPE" is something I currently don't want to do - either not feeling it or playing something similar already.)

CRAVING
// surreal urban fantasy kind of stuff / probably futuristic / wonderland vibes / dream logic
The dreams of people with certain mental issues (unspecified/open to discussion) have the power to invade the physical world, changing the rules of reality around those people. Anyone unfortunate enough to be nearby gets sucked into those people’s dream worlds. If they manage to escape in a way consistent with that dream world’s rules they’re free to go back to their lives, if the dreaming person wakes up first they get trapped forever… well, maybe not forever?

This could go in countless different directions really. I’m thinking one character might already be stuck in a particular dream world, and the other could get sucked in voluntarily to try and figure out an underlying pattern that’d allow them to remove these anomalies from the world (or harness the power of these anomalies, somehow). A criminal might get sucked in while robbing the dreamer. Someone the dreamer had had a one night stand with might suffer that fate and discover what their bedmate's mind is like. I’m open to any suggestions really, it’s a vague idea at this point but that only gives it potential.

// fantasy/supernatural / early-mid 20th century setting / music / summoning / apocalypse
A banished tyrant, demon or something similar (character X) has been locked away using powerful magic. The only way to set them free is by playing a specific melody that was considered far too dissonant to ever be desirable when the spell was cast, but centuries later composers started looking for new options. One of them (Y) eventually composes the very melody that releases the ancient prisoner.

Additional ideas (all open to discussion, expansion or removal)
Maybe it actually unleashed a veritable buttload of different banished beings with X being just one of them (they should probably all be related in some way though, maybe the same species/culture?), and for some reason X grows attached to Y (maybe by hearing some other magically-imbued melody, idk?) while the others mostly start wreaking havoc in the world. Feeling guilty, Y will try to figure out a way to reactivate the broken spell, and X's information about their comrades should be of some help.
I'm thinking it'd be fun to set this in the swing or jazz era (that'd explain playing melodies considered unlistenable in the middle ages), it's a cool aesthetic I haven't really played with yet.

My preference here is playing the composer (Y). If I can get a musician to play this with me I'm SO making allusions to music theory in their thought processes. Of course we could also ditch the music part of this and come up with something different, the world is our oyster and whatnot.

NOPE, unless you have a great idea for this
// demon summoning reversal thing / needs some serious expanding before it can be any good
Things are changing in Hell. Recent developments have led to the leaders wanting a more liberal approach to a lot of things, but demons aren’t very good at the whole moral compass thing. So they summon a human to help them with that stuff (possibly offering to help them with some of their mortal problems in return). Trouble is, this particular human is hardly an upstanding citizen.

// witches, demons & shit
X and Y are both witches or something along those lines. They don’t know each other. X performs a ritual to summon a demonic entity and gets Y instead. Y puts two and two together mighty fast and decides to pretend they’re actually a demon in human form to see where this goes. X falls for it, at least for now. Turns out X wants to use the demon for some evil plan (the more contrived the better!) and Y wonders if they should try to help X or stop them and use any knowledge they acquire in the process for their own ends.

Trouble is, the ritual actually did summon a demon at Y’s original location while moving Y to X’s place. An eldritch horror on the loose will surely throw a brick in any plans either of the two might have.
(Depending on how major the demon character will be it might require some doubling, so to make it fair it’d make sense to either both play the demon to some extent or for one of us to have another character to balance things out)

// medieval-ish fantasy, probably / politics / greed vs loyalty / redemption?
X is a servant of the royal family (which Y is a part of) when they are offered a sweet deal by a spy from a rival kingdom: X gets handsomely paid for providing insider information that helps the other faction in their imminent military takeover. The money is good and X doesn’t feel that strongly for their employers so they go for it. Now lauded as a war hero by the invaders, X thinks Y’s whole family’s been executed and tries not to think about it too much - don’t want to ruin their luxurious new life with pesky guilt. But then it turns out Y has managed to escape…

Now the whole thing is obviously very open-ended and could go anywhere we want it to, here are just some of the questions we might want to consider:
What exactly has become of Y since the invasion? How long after the takeover do they meet? Is Y aware of X’s treason? Does Y seek revenge on the invaders or mere survival? Or has Y never been that enamoured with their family’s politics to begin with, seeing this as an opportunity to start over without the annoying attached strings of being a royal? Will Y accept X offering help in a fit of remorse, or will Y try to screw X to get back at them for what they’ve done? HMM?

// fantasy, maybe pseudo-sci-fi? / duty vs friendship / inspired by Dragon Age and Divinity 2
Magic / supernatural abilities are reasonably commonplace in the world. People with these abilities are at risk of becoming possessed by malevolent spirits seeking vessels with which to make a physical impact on the world. Authorities exist to deal with such occurrences - there is no confirmed way of curing possession so these people are either locked up or executed for the greater good.

X and Y have been friends since childhood. Now X works for the Possession Containment Unit (PCU, placeholder name not very compatible with high fantasy settings) and Y uses their fairly modest magical abilities as a healer of some sort.Y, a generally friendly and timid person, becomes possessed and now struggles against the chaotic evil spirit invading their mind. How well that goes fluctuates wildly - sometimes one can barely tell anything is amiss, other times the spirit hijacks Y completely for a brief period of time. Either way it’s exhausting and demoralising.
After Y makes a real mess under the spirit’s influence, it is now X’s duty to bring Y in, which would probably result in Y’s execution. So instead X vows to help Y, trying to keep them safe and following leads on rumoured ways to cure possession non-lethally (most of which turn out to be red herrings or have unacceptable side effects). Of course the spirit making its presence known won’t always make it easy for X to empathise with Y. And seeing as the PCU won’t be too impressed with X’s failure to carry out their mission they’ll try and thwart their efforts every step of the way.

// futuristic space stuff / could be dystopian / could be apocalyptic
A small spaceship owned by some rich company (captained by X) runs into some trouble in deep space, life support systems are about to fail. The only place in the area they can safely dock at is an abandoned station not even listed in any logs or maps anymore. And for good reason - it's been overrun by some disaster (zombie virus? aliens? rogue AI? a small-scale civil war?) and most of its inhabitants are dead by now. Well, except for a handful of survivors including Y.

Will Y's group take X hostage, try to kill them, or try to get on their good side hoping their affiliation will help them finally get out of there? Will they hijack the rescue ship (if one ever comes, that is)? And if so, what'll they do? Just run for the hills, or (un)willingly spread whatever catastrophe's befallen the station?

Another pretty open-ended one, should be easy to figure something out together.

Tentative fandom section

I've never really done fandom RPs before and I'd still prefer an original plot but I'm willing to try if it's a universe I really like. That said, I'd generally prefer to stay on the "loosely inspired by" side of things because re-enacting something that already exists doesn't sound like that much fun to me. Since fandom stuff is entirely new to me I couldn't tell you if I prefer OCs or CCs or a mix of both. Gotta experiment.

Here's a couple IPs I could be convinced to try something in:

• Dragon Age: Origins (not 2 because I haven't finished that, definitely not Inquisition because it's boring rubbish) - I just love that game and its world, pretty much.
  • Code Vein - yes, it's a pretty bad game whose only redeeming quality is anime waifu character creation. But some parts of how the world and story works don't feel like they're unsalvageable and I think it could be fun to spin it better than the authors did.
  • Mass Effect - so far I've only finished the first game and started the second, I'm terrible at actually completing games these days.
  • Saints Row 2 or 3 - no idea how this'd work, but it's a world I'm familiar with and rather like, so um...
  • Stardew Valley - could be fun if we put the characters in a more tense scenario, I'm still not huge on slice of life.

Ok, that's it! Don't hesitate to PM me if any of this sounds vaguely interesting!
And feel free to throw any ideas of your own at me if you think it could work.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in prompt #5,

Or Code Vein(Which I haven't played since release)

Or Dragon Age!

Heya, Buttercup!

It's Haven, from normies discord. I love, love, looove the idea of plot 6 (I was a Jowan supporter in Origins haha.)

This may be way off base, but I love the idea of two role players sharing the same body, with one playing the human and the other playing the spirit. I'm also fine with doubling in the traditional sense of playing multiple characters to progress the narrative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back