Experiences Have You Ever Played a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

GoldenSlime

"Is Satan a Beagle Puppy?!"
Ok, let's be honest here, we were all baby RPers once and we all had that one character who makes us cringe when we look back at them. If you're me, you have, like, twenty. So? Let's bring up those old, painful memories and talk about them to random strangers online!

For me, my first RP on RPNation was pain. My character was edgy, mentally and physically ill, and perpetuated the whole "you can't be with me because reasons" thing from Twilight. He was also a drunkard and heavy smoker despite being super hot and not having any real effects from the drinking and smoking other than looking hot with a cig in his mouth. He also was legit magic cuz he, like, beat up three guys in an alley despite being a thin, wimpy guy? (this was a slice-of-life non-magic RP btw)
Honestly, the person who RPed with me was an angel and I feel so bad for being so cringey and making the RP all about my damn edgy character. If I ever find the user who RPed with me, I will thank them so much.

So, anyway, what's your story?

Please do not argue the meaning of Mary Sue/Gary Stu or say you "dislike" the term. If you don't understand or don't like the idea of Mary Sue/Gary Stu then don't post.

Last edited:
Intentionally or accidentally? Cuz both.

Intentionally I made this little attention seeking monster.
flying_luck_take_one_by_daydreamerrae-d5clkrf.png

Chonsie was awesome. She was amazing. She was the best there ever was and ever will be. She had luck. She laughed in the face of consequences. She may or may not have regularly killed her roomates as a part of a gag about players that randomly dropped out of her roleplay.

She was OBSESSED with lucky charms. And herself. And her ego. And maybe sometimes her friends who were of course only accessories to her amazing awesome speshulness.

Did I mention she was a physical mutant in racist x-men roleplay that never faced racism? Because that happened.

She was pretty much everything a Mary Sue should be.

The catch?

SHE WAS ANNOYING. Like intentionally obnoxious to the degree that several players just gleefully piled on to make her even more obnoxious.

She was never as much the center of attention as she thought she was. Most of her classmates ( the ones that weren't egging her on ) thought she was at best kind of ditzy and self-absorbed, at worst an annoying little monster that ought to have her mouth nailed shut.

And that ladies in gentlemen is how you do the Little Sister Sue. Someone who is willfully obnoxious and unlikable to the extent that she actually ends up being kind of endearing and tolerable.

Unintentionally
amie_lebelle__hogwarts_oc_by_chibiotakurae-d3kw584.png

oc__amie_lebelle_as_succubus_by_chibiotakurae-d3imrtd.png

yes they were both Aimee. No they are not the same character.

Blonde!Aimee was the uber french stereotype who went to hogwarts and was half-veela. She was also probably the most like a real for real character. She had a personality-ish. French. French is totally a personality right? Baby Geek thought yes. Yes it was. She liked to bake. And I think cheese. I seem to remember that being a thing. She like baquettes and cheese. She was a hufflepuff and a Veela. And yeah she gave people food and was cute.

Sucubuss!Aimee on the other hand is where the real trainwreck happened. She was a succubus who le GASP! was super scradey cat afraid of the boys and the kissing and the cooties. She was shy. She had social anxiety. She drained energy by .... i think holding hands? I might have maid her the vampire version of Rogue? yeah that sounds about right.

She was in a vampire academy and she was super shy and basically rogue. ( also a total self-insert. wow )

Last but not least there was Aimee's annoying Sue cousin/sister Adelaide.

adelaide_lebelle__vk_oc_by_chibiotakurae-d3jcfgw.png

Adelaide was Baby Geek TOTALLY NOT writing a self-insert and making an actual ORIGINAL character. Who had ADD and all the attention of a sugar high toddler. She was probably the most like a traditional sue. She was never like shoving herself into the spotlight but everyone always thought how cute she was and how endearing her energy was and I'm pretty sure they hated her. She was like a ball of energy. She couldn't sit still. SHe was also possibly a succubus or maybe a mutant idk it was a while back. Anyway she was all rainbows and sunshine and don't you like me I'm so cute.

She was the proto Chonsie.

My beginning rp days were in the Hetalia fandom on Chatzy. I was also afraid to play guy characters at that time because y'know "i'm a girl so I HAVE to play a girl character duh" so I'd genderbend all the characters.... Using Microsoft Paint. Like I'd take a picture of the character, pick the closest color to their hair (which wasn't close at all) and just basically scribble long hair onto them. I thought my "art" was the shit.

My writing wasn't good either by any means, and I'm pretty sure I was the worst Godmodder/Mary Sue. I would always try to control other people's characters, and I'm pretty sure I was banned from various different Chatzy rooms because of it. Man, those were the days.

I've come a long way, haha!

i can say that a lot of Mary Sue Litmus tests can't tell a really fleshed out character from a Mary Sue. but a lot of Established Fiction Protagonists and Roleplay OCs are loaded with traits that give high scores on those tests. not every result having equal weight. for Example a trainer who started with a female eevee that evolved into a Sylveon would score quite high on a Pokemon Mary Sue Litmus test.

for example, i know a lot of my characters would score high on those tests. which is where you have to take things that are common in your characters home universe into account. a True Mary Sue is a character that is not in the protagonist group that steals the spotlight from the protagonists on a regular basis. like the Captains and Liutenants on Bleach who constantly outperform the protagonists and Trivialize what used to be difficult tasks for the main heroes.

or like Gandalf from lord of the rings, who was a walking Deus Ex Machina in a can.

Over the course of my time RPing, I've had a lot of cringy characters. Personality-wise (which normally the main factor I would consider it a mary sue), I don't think I've ever made a character a mary sue, setting aside certain underdeveloped NPCs. That said, I have done a couple of self-inserts, and there are a few more characters that come to mind when it comes to this discussion.

The first is my first ever RP character. It was a custom digimon for an RP on a site exclusively for that fandom. I had this "wise old man" idea for him, so as soon as he reached the appropriate form, that's how I started to play him, so sometimes I would get a little stingy when he wasn't paid attention. That said, he wasn't by far my worst design. In fact , as scrapdramon (his first form), it was a surprisingly great character if I do say so myself. On the other hand, I did make some pretty cringy ones in later attempts. For instance, one of said attempts was when I was having a crisis of fait IRL, so I felt the need to display my faith in everything I did. I made a character who was basically going around this fandom world trying to preach to everyone. All. The.Damm.Time.

Though at the time I didn't realize it, this was obviously extremely awakward. Fortunately, since a new account was needed for every character one wanted to make, bar NPCs, I could simply get rid of the account. Another instance though, was when I made my first "edgy" character and also the first time I tried my hand at romance. I believe the name of the character was Charles. He was basically a boy transported to the digital world and possessed by an evil spirit that wanted to gather all of itself. One important information before I go on, is that in this site there were not, like, many separate RPs, but every single thread was connected as one huge RP. Now, I was like 13, maybe 14 at the time, and I had always been a bookworm. So as you may imagine, naive little me got a bit attached when someone using a female character took the innitiative in making her character have feelings for mine, this character being a girl that had been helping Charles with his attempt at getting rid of the spirit possessing him.
A bit of time later, I found this person on another thread, romancing that same character with another person. Now, because I was that inexperienced with the whole matter, and way too attached, I got a little hurt about their character cheating on mine. So I did just about the edgiest thing possible and created this horrible event where Charles was possessed by the evil spirit and killed someone in front of that girl via pulling out their organs. I don't know what was going through my head when I came up with THAT plan either. So, yeah, super edgy character. That said, while I am a lot more knowledgeable about these matters now and have learned to be more detached and spin things more like stories, I still have a dislike for unstanble character relationships or love triangles I have not been informed of....

All of that was back when I was in DFRP, the place when I first started roleplaying. By the time I joined RPN I was already much more experienced and with a lot more research behind me. But there was still this one time when I designed a character to be a mary sue, power-level wise. It was a multifandom RP that allowed overpowered characters. To this day I am still not too found of multifandoms, and I still think great skill is needed to handle OP characters properly at all, but at the time I got a little petty and literally made an invencible character. With abilities like "breaking plot armor", "stealing abilities, energy and physical power" "extreme regeneration" and "untargeateable essence" I made sure there was only one tiny tiny weakness.

But yeah. That's a tiny sample of some of my worst mistakes, in my eyes.

My beginning rp days were in the Hetalia fandom on Chatzy. I was also afraid to play guy characters at that time because y'know "i'm a girl so I HAVE to play a girl character duh" so I'd genderbend all the characters.... Using Microsoft Paint. Like I'd take a picture of the character, pick the closest color to their hair (which wasn't close at all) and just basically scribble long hair onto them. I thought my "art" was the shit.

My writing wasn't good either by any means, and I'm pretty sure I was the worst Godmodder/Mary Sue. I would always try to control other people's characters, and I'm pretty sure I was banned from various different Chatzy rooms because of it. Man, those were the days.

I've come a long way, haha!

20180313_223334.jpg

im sorry

This is gonna be painful for me! I first started roleplaying around 13 on twitter and I was in the Hetalia fandom (I was a little cringey weeb at the time haha!) and I had an OC based off of an Island near where I live. She was a total mary sue based off of me but still had to be ~edgy~ enough. Honestly it wasn't a bad character in itself, but I made her act like a total baby who was super in love with her brother (in the same sense that Belarus was to Russia - yikes!). She would also sometimes become a neko? Not sure why. Thankfully it wasn't too bad, and it definitely helped me boost my confidence, but I'm thankful of how far I've come now!

Ah shit. I only remember two I'd consider "Mary Sues". I started roleplaying when I was 11 after I heard about "Roblox". I was into all the "Roblox high school" games... I'm actually cringing at remembering all of my two characters back then... My personal favorite gal had the personality of a Wattpad character. We all know that nerd in every teenage movie or book on Wattpad. If you don't know the general idea of that nerd I'll break it down for you:
  • Glasses
  • Hot Topic bands
  • "I'm not like the normal girls"
  • Book in hand 24/7
  • Falls in love with the bad boy and/or jock
  • Despises the cheerleaders
  • dEpReSsEd aS fUcK!!
I swear if I could go back in time and get my younger self away from electronics I would...

The second character always had to be ditzy, blonde, mean and a cheerleader. The exact opposite of the other edgelord I spoke briefly about above. I can't explain much about this cheerleader, but she basically had NO PERSONALITY and that makes me super annoyed. At least with edgelord I gave her some type of "tragic" backstory.

Now, fast forward 2-ish years and I was 13. I remember roleplaying on this rp site I found (can't remember the site), but I actually was roleplaying like how you would on Rpnaton. I basically used edgelords description up above, but instead of being edgy, she was very innocent and shy. Her face claim was Bridget Mendler. She fell in love with a bad boy and of course, more stuff happened. Just fast forward the possible small talk by their lockers and continue on with the cringe!

Thankfully those times are over and I'd say I'm pretty skilled in my character developing and roleplaying.

Maybe it's a good thing I don't have a time machine to get my younger self away from electronics. If I did then I wouldn't have this love for writing and experience from roleplays to create plots, characters and shit with a good storyline and stuff. God bless all the people who had put up with my stereotypical characters. <3

(This is way longer than I intended it to be)

*cough*

Looks at 50+ roleplay groups over on Horzer

Oh boy, fun times.

I'd have to say my worst "OC" (if you could even call him that), was this guy:
1568479737155.jpeg
Name: AIUC (Artificial Intelligence Unit Cyborg. Also known as Cy)
History: Was injured as a human and was given robotic body parts. He was captured by the mean police and brought to prison.
Crush: h
Traits: It depends....
Wife: NO
Kids: NO
Played By: horsesareawesome56

:') But hey, at least the image I used helped me find out One Punch Man was a thing...

"Sir, you are under arrest."

"What kinda cop are you?"

"i'M pArT Of thE MeaN polIcE!"

xD

Gosh, I probably could uncover worse than this if I really tried 🤦

My first oc was this black and purple giant dragon lady called 'Shiraz something something complicated Shukrain' . She was 3000 years old, ridiculously powerful and your cliche antisocial loner type who hated everyone and was probably a pain to interact with for the other players. I still have her because I'm fond of but she's definitely been through bit of a revamp in most departments since then haha.

I'll be honest... I can't remember a specific unique character that was a mary/gary-sue/stue but I definitely had them lol.

Interestingly, for most of my writing life I could not write female characters worth a damn because they ALL turned into Mary-Sues lol. Quiet, kind, fiercely loyal to their friends, shy, but a badass when they needed to be etc etc. Basically every Mary-Sue trait you could think of rolled up into an idealistic ball. My personal theory is that I wrote the kind of idealistic women I wanted to be myself and so it wasn't until the past few years when my own self-image/mental health improved that my female characters did as well. Now I can actually imbue them with flaws and breathe some dynamics into them LOL.

On the plus side it meant I never lacked for choice in RP's because people typically were looking for someone to play male characters and that was my wheelhouse for 10+ years. But whoo boy... my female characters were horrid. The only blessing here is that I was self-aware enough to know they were trash so I ended up just giving up and sticking to what I was good at lol.

my female characters were horrid. The only blessing here is that I was self-aware enough to know they were trash so I ended up just giving up and sticking to what I was good at lol.

I relate to this so much xD My female characters aren't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back