Advice/Help Have you ever done a map game before?

GeorgeTownRaja

Have you ever done a map game before on RPNation? I know there are some on Sufficient Velocity and alternatehistory.com but I'm not sure about it being on this site. I'm not sure if it is considered spamming for some. Do you know someone who does?

In case you have no idea what a map game is, they are collaborative alternate history games in which a starting map is posted and players take turns making changes to the map and posting alternate history events.

If you mean maps like county maps, biome maps etc, then yes but they're not just alternative history. Repeatedly.

If you mean like people take turns making the map like Dawn of worlds, then no.
Tried and ended up with frogs, iron crosses, French steamrolling eastern Europe, and screaming in incoherent English, German, and French.

If you mean the same thing but it's a character RP, then only once.

If you mean a risk forum game, also repeatedly.

How exactly does everyone go about editing the same map? Is there some kind of map creator program out there that allows sharing?

A little project of mine that has long been abandoned. I worked on this with a person that is no longer active on the site and it's always bothered me as we both had spent an awful lot of ideas, plans and time on this ~ we each took turns coming up with factions, species, histories etc.. etc.. but it never quite came to reality. 😭

The Eternal Crown May16 11-17.png

Here's a map I made for "LOST CONTINENT: FLIGHT FROM MUURDAAN" which was an RP I had going on this site for a couple of years...

map (9).jpg

And here's a map for a shorter (only a few months) RPN game I ran called "Dawn of Man"

Valley 2 (4).jpg

I have more maps from more games but here's just a couple of examples. These maps were done with the free version of INKARNATE you can find on the web.... though I use the paid version to make maps like this:

Push back the Dark (15).jpg

water effects come out better if you use the paintbrush versus the land creator. gives everything a smoother look. also, i spend a fiuckload of time blending all the land types together.

Beckoncall Beckoncall also, work at a decently high resolution so that you can see all the edges that need work. I always use the 4k downloader

Perhaps Murdergurl Murdergurl you could consider making a 'how-to' instructional thread for people that are interested in creating their own fantasy worlds? I am certain that there will be many folk on this site that would absolutely jump with joy at reading through such a thread filled with your experience with IK! :D

Perhaps Murdergurl Murdergurl you could consider making a 'how-to' instructional thread for people that are interested in creating their own fantasy worlds? I am certain that there will be many folk on this site that would absolutely jump with joy at reading through such a thread filled with your experience with IK! :D
honestly, i first started with the program before all the recent big updates. the way it works now, they made all the work I used to struggle with a piece of cake. I mean, they even have a terrain generator. all you have to do is go back and smooth things out. it's not that hard to do stuff like I make em. you just gotta be patient and put in a lot of time to the details

honestly, i first started with the program before all the recent big updates. the way it works now, they made all the work I used to struggle with a piece of cake. I mean, they even have a terrain generator. all you have to do is go back and smooth things out. it's not that hard to do stuff like I make em. you just gotta be patient and put in a lot of time to the details

Yeah, I just thought it might be very helpful for those that are interested in IK but perhaps don't quite feel confident enough. Having someone with the know-how and is willing to explain things would certainly be a big boost to morale for any inexperienced creator. Who knows, you may end up with a few requests and commissions along the way! :xFwink:

Yeah, I just thought it might be very helpful for those that are interested in IK but perhaps don't quite feel confident enough. Having someone with the know-how and is willing to explain things would certainly be a big boost to morale for any inexperienced creator. Who knows, you may end up with a few requests and commissions along the way! :xFwink:
I wouldn't have time even if someone WANTED to commission me, tbh. I barely have time for RPs as it is. #momlife

I wouldn't have time even if someone WANTED to commission me, tbh. I barely have time for RPs as it is. #momlife

I know the feeling, I haven't hosted something in 2 years now... 😭 Fingers crossed I might have the time to do so eventually 😂

goddammit. we need a sad react emoji on this site

Are you hand-drawing everything or using assets in Inkarnate? Eitherway, they are really good.

Are you hand-drawing everything or using assets in Inkarnate? Eitherway, they are really good.
like 99 % of it is assets off the map maker. but a couple images are imported.

I DO draw tho. I've been debating on uploading some of my art to the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back