Experiences Have you ever been involved in a complete dumpster fire of an RP?

Title says all. I wanna hear about the trainwrecks, the awkward, the boring, the WTF, and the straight up abhorrent RPs you’ve found yourself involved in an RP on or an RP that started at this site.

I remember RPing with someone who I shall not name, who RPed a nigh-omnipotent race of beings. One of which developed attraction for an underage female character who did not reciprocate his affections and he continued to make increasingly aggressive advances on her with his character even when I asked him OOC to stop, since his entire faction was nigh-omnipotent there was no force within the RP that could feasibly stop this guy from being a creeper. Needless to say when he refused to do so ooc I stopped RP with him.

-+-

A really bad biased combat RP server I entered once on discord. A lot of BS went down and I honestly don't care to recall the details of all the issues that went down there, but it seemed more like just a way for the mods to circle-jerk one another than any sort of actual combat RP, since whenver the mods fought in a battle (which was often, it was a small server maybe 15 people and 3 or 4 mods, and most of the mods were the more active members of the server, so more often than not they were one of the participants in any given battle.) In every battle between a mod and a non mod there would be a disagreement which another mod would always settle in favor of a their fellow mod.

In one combat RP I got a good character and attempted a move to one-shot an enemy character. But the mod ruled that my PLASMA CANNON classified as a kinetic weapon and therefore activated this person's defense mechanism. I had seen bias and general BS from the mods before but telling me how the character I created worked was taking it too far and I bailed from that serv on the spot.

-+-

I did a Star Wars RP with someone who I'd known to be a good RPer for awhile. She created an original planet with a lost jedi temple and some characters. They were all Jedi and all young and attractive females, and then proceeded to have them sit around scantly clad or naked at the lost jedi temple and the hot spring bathing area that was built in a cave underneath it. I wanted to attack the temple with some Sith clones but she (being the GM) denied it. Everyone lost interest because she just kept roleplaying interactions with her characters being naked and getting into awkward situations around the jedi temple.

Also she as the GM, at times would roleplay by herself for long stretches of RP and seemingly to keep things interesting would roll for every action she did, even actions that weren't really relevant to the story.

There was that one time in a Homestuck discord RP where it felt one of the players was forcing a romance onto my (twelve year old, though to be fair his character was 13-14) character. It got weird when it felt like he was projecting it on me and he messaged me like a dozen times when I went to school. Eventually I blocked him and dropped the RP. If only I could find a good Homestuck RP now though haha. Though the one I was on wasn’t that great, I can tell you about the same persons OP OC sometime if you want.

The GM godmod their own RP so their character could beat the shit out of mine because my character had the audacity to whisper a threat at their characters "claimed" romantic interest. Needless to say their character somehow heard my character whisper from inside a 3 story mansion while my character was standing in front of the house down a flight of steps past a large fountain . . . but he heard me whisper in someones ear . . . and beat my character for it . . . RP died after I called the GM out for the behavior but a mod also reprimanded me for daring to call out the creator of an RP for breaking their own rules.

The two biggest dumpster fires I was ever a part of were:

1) A pan-fandom livejournal RPG in an original fantasy setting. The time was basically 3 real-time days = 1 in-character day, but there would be periodic time-skips of a few weeks, and people could plot generally, or explicitly, things that happened during that time. This was annoying, but fine, but all three mods lived together. This would be fine, except for their characters were all highly involved with each other, and since they had the leisure to plot and plan in-person and in the comfort of their homes, they basically ended up taking over the majority of major plot threads. Then they got into a big fight, ended up moving out, and everyone else in the RPG was more or less forced to take sides.

and

2) I was in an RPG where characters turned into literary characters on the full-moon, like nerdy werewolves. Basically the dumpster fire part was that one day the mods were like "we feel like this game has run its course and people aren't interested/as involved anymore, so we're going to do a controlled close of the game in 30 days." This was a lie--posting and thread attendance was at an all-time high, and there was a big outcry against the close. Plenty of people volunteered to step up and take over moderation, since it was made pretty clear the mods wanted to move onto their new project (a game where characters turned into mythological figures on the full moon. groundbreaking), but the mods declined and totally shut down the game against popular opinion.

Five minutes after I told them I DO NOT do smut or do ANY KIND of sexual stuff (as per the rules of the site) they write out a reply of like 2,500 words of how his character drugged and raped mine. As a survivor I was pretty shaken and abandoned the account on the site after reporting them. Still haven't gone back. It was really, really twisted and there were only about 12 posts between us too.​

Five minutes after I told them I DO NOT do smut or do ANY KIND of sexual stuff (as per the rules of the site) they write out a reply of like 2,500 words of how his character drugged and raped mine. As a survivor I was pretty shaken and abandoned the account on the site after reporting them. Still haven't gone back. It was really, really twisted and there were only about 12 posts between us too.​
I
What??
jfc sounds like that was a dumpster fire of a human being, I'm sorry you encountered something that noxious?? gross. just..... wow.

Alright, so mine is kind of... Normal weird?
I once roleplayed in a group with this girl who... Basically made their character ridiculously OP and just... no flaws. She described hers as "skinny yet curvy" (which makes no sense) and "sexy" as a PERSONALITY DESCRIPTION.

Needless to say, I abandoned that one. also...

That is... I cannot explain how... just...
That had to be pretty disturbing...

Oooof, that sounds awful. And spiteful, really, considering people were offering to take over moderation.
It felt incredibly petty, yeah. They wanted control of it but they didn't want the responsibility, it was wild. :/ Your deal sounds like it sucked too, though... being the subject of someone's projections is just..... yeesh. And forced romance is never good regardless.

I
What??
jfc sounds like that was a dumpster fire of a human being, I'm sorry you encountered something that noxious?? gross. just..... wow.
Oh gosh and that was only half of it? Apparently he did it "All the time and no one ever freaked out" and I just. Well... Yeah, because they ran the heck away from you, monster!! Goodness, it was was trying me there for a few minutes.

Alright, so mine is kind of... Normal weird?
I once roleplayed in a group with this girl who... Basically made their character ridiculously OP and just... no flaws. She described hers as "skinny yet curvy" (which makes no sense) and "sexy" as a PERSONALITY DESCRIPTION.

Needless to say, I abandoned that one. also...

That is... I cannot explain how... just...
That had to be pretty disturbing...
Oh gosh it was AWFUL! And the WORST part was that it was super realistic. Like I could have seen it happening to me or my sisters or galpals. Ugh, SO glad I never went back...

Oh gosh and that was only half of it? Apparently he did it "All the time and no one ever freaked out" and I just. Well... Yeah, because they ran the heck away from you, monster!! Goodness, it was was trying me there for a few minutes.
Oh my god. That's... um... yeah.

what a crock of shit, urgh, gross gross gross...!

Oh gosh it was AWFUL! And the WORST part was that it was super realistic. Like I could have seen it happening to me or my sisters or galpals. Ugh, SO glad I never went back...
god, it's really disgusting that he'd do such a thing. i seriously hope he's gotten banned from whatever site that was; that kind of behavior is not okay whatsoever, especially when someone is extremely uncomfortable with it. and him mentioning that he "did it all the time" is just... even more disgusting; really hoping that everyone he did it to is okay now. i'm really sorry you had to go through that. nobody should have to go through that kind of thing.

god, it's really disgusting that he'd do such a thing. i seriously hope he's gotten banned from whatever site that was; that kind of behavior is not okay whatsoever, especially when someone is extremely uncomfortable with it. and him mentioning that he "did it all the time" is just... even more disgusting; really hoping that everyone he did it to is okay now. i'm really sorry you had to go through that. nobody should have to go through that kind of thing.
Agreed.

I am so sorry that you had to put up with that...

Gosh, that makes my heart feel warm, thank you!! And yeah, I'm pretty sure he was banned (it was a pretty kid-friendly site. At least I seem to remember a bunch of 13/14 year olds) but golly, if I had a nickel for everything else he said that was way out of line!

Wow. I hope he’s, like, locked away. For good.

On a lighter note, here are my personal experiences:

1. One person refused to even start the RP because they claimed it added nothing to the plot if I played a girly boy (even though I gave him a back story about how he spent his teenage years doing martial arts and pretending to be attracted to girls because his family didn’t approve of his girliness that could’ve really been explored and add a lot to the plot)

2. At one point in one RP, my partner’s character just jumped I’m front of a random car and promptly came back as a ghost out of literally nowhere with no prior buildup. I was so confused.

3. I was doing a romance RP and the person almost quit because I asked when if they wanted to start the romance (there was already SO MUCH buildup and it made more sense to go ahead and start than draw it out more than it needed to be). They had a terrible attitude for the rest of the RP.

Joined a small group on a forum dedicated to a specific video game series, but it ended up being myself, an admitted psychopath who believed cannibalism was alright since he was a furry, and a god modding prick. The cannibalism bit kinda ended it for me.

Outside of that, I joined a really nice group that was really active, everyone was plotting and what not, as one does in a political rp, when a certain fellow joined the group, and ended up messaging a number of people in the group, including myself, if they wanted to do a mini 1×1 rp based around some weird knight vassal relationship thing or whatever. Now, I don't normally do 1×1's, so I declined, but some of the others who were offered accepted. Turned out it was a fetish thing, and he got immidetly reported and banned. Interestingly, he messaged all the people in the group who had females characters. But I didn't. I had a male vampire. We were all a bit confused by that, had a bit of a laugh, but the experience kinda soured the whole RP and it ended up dying shortly after that.
What the hell.

I feel like a lot of RPs I had in the past have turned into dumpster fires, but I was young and I’m sure a lot of the other people I RPed with were too, so it makes sense we’d all suck at writing.

Literally the very first RP I ever joined was about some kind of mansion filled with cats. I don’t remember details, but the point was to RP cats... and that was about it. It had no plot, no direction, no nothing - just a vague setting and a heck of a lot of 10-12 year olds throwing cat OCs at the RP and hoping they’d stick. My character was awful, so were everyone else’s characters. Without the GM doing a single thing to create a plotline or keep anyone on track, the RP reached peak chaos and crashed. I kinda quit long before it did though.

Then multiple RPs that I started crashed and burned, because I lacked the patience to be a decent GM. I didn’t care about reading everyone’s posts and keeping up with everything all the time. I’d basically get overwhelmed and abandon all the RPs I ever GMed, and in my absence, people often kept posting for a while with things getting increasingly weird before finally dying out.

I also had multiple horrible RPs with a friend of mine. We were friends IRL, so I felt obligated to RP with her even though I didn’t want to, because I always felt so awkward seeing her in person and having her bug me about why I hadn’t replied to our RP yet. She was not a good writer. Her grammar, spelling, and general sentence structure was so bad that sometimes I had no idea what she was trying to say. Not to mention all her characters were Mary Sues. I RPed with her for years and hated it... I just didn't have the courage to tell her I wasn't interested anymore.

Any and all RPs I've ever been involved in on the old shitty Elysium minecraft roleplay server. The server had potentially amazing lore but it was all wasted as people created their own shitty stories that didn't work at all.

I ran a server once about three or so years ago on Garry's Mod called Deadline. The basis for this RP was a linear storyline that the players followed. The main overarching story was set in stone for the most part (where the group would go, who they would encounter, etc) kind of like a DnD game without the huge skill checks. It was meant to feel like a TV show with the music and cinematic moments the administration team and I created in the outdated engine. We released trailers which are still on Youtube and put a lot of work into getting that cinematic feel. Deadline was supposed to be an apocalypse RP, but the icing on the cake was that you got to experience the best part of an apocalyptic story: the breakdown of society.

Skip to launch day. So, apparently, we created a decent amount of buzz in the Serious Roleplaying community and rather than having 20 - 25 players like we thought we had we had 45 players. No biggie, as long as all the players keep their head on straight we will be fine (Lol, like that will fucking happen). So, in the first 10 minutes of the server launching we had a gang of players that were more or less really bad trolls whose sole purpose was to go around under the guise they were roleplaying and mug and walk into roleplay (doing a house invasion on a group of roleplayers trying to flesh out their characters for example). So, long story short, they got banned not for their roleplay, but more so how they went about it. It was the most trollish unrealistic shit they were trying to pull like lol grabbing a shotgun and then using that to try and /me shoots players.

Skip to later in the night and the apocalypse has begun: The group of players was together and evacuated to the city by the US Army played by the admin team. The group needed a leader badly. They needed someone who could take charge and make good decisions to get them out of the city and to safety from the creatures. In comes retarded Rick Grimes. His character was a college kid who had taken the uniform of a dead deputy and now thought he was the shit (he thought he was actually a badass OOCly mind you). This guy somehow rallied the group together and the downfall began.

With us pushing the group forward cause Rick Grimes couldn't apparently, they escaped the city in the sewers and fought the final boss battle. They made their way out of the sewers and to the forest outside the city where they took refuge in a medieval castle (it was actually a restaurant that was supposed to be medieval themed). There shit really hit the fan as one bad decision after another made by not only Rick Grimes, but his right-hand men: a female Navy Seal sniper (I did not authorize this) and a MARSOC fucking Marine (Both of which were his OOC friends). Now, this is about a week into the server and I'm already getting frustrated with the A-Team composed of Rick Grimes and two special forces members doing very dumb shit like taking on an enemy force of bandits much more well equipped and larger than them alone. This is about the point where we killed the Navy Seal sniper permanently and almost had Rick Grimes killed (he escaped on a rope he dangled off the cliff of the bandit's mountain hideout).

This is about the point where I just decided "fuck it, I'm done with this. Good experiment guys" and shut down the server. Don't get me wrong, Deadline was filled with great moments that the players loved, but a lack of players who wanted to lead the group and take charge ultimately burned it down.

tl;dr - Ran a GMod server we put a lot of work into. Three dumb players who thought they were really cool OOCly and made dumb decisions turned the rest of the group into dumb decision makers ruining the server in a week.

Last edited:
I ran a server once about three or so years ago on Garry's Mod called Deadline. The basis for this RP was a linear storyline that the players followed. The main overarching story was set in stone for the most part (where the group would go, who they would encounter, etc) kind of like a DnD game without the huge skill checks. It was meant to feel like a TV show with the music and cinematic moments the administration team and I created in the outdated engine. We released trailers which are still on Youtube and put a lot of work into getting that cinematic feel. Deadline was supposed to be an apocalypse RP, but the icing on the cake was that you got to experience the best part of an apocalyptic story: the breakdown of society.

Skip to launch day. So, apparently, we created a decent amount of buzz in the Serious Roleplaying community and rather than having 20 - 25 players like we thought we had we had 45 players. No biggie, as long as all the players keep their head on straight we will be fine (Lol, like that will fucking happen). So, in the first 10 minutes of the server launching we had a gang of players that were more or less really bad trolls whose sole purpose was to go around under the guise they were roleplaying and mug and walk into roleplay (doing a house invasion on a group of roleplayers trying to flesh out their characters for example). So, long story short, they got banned not for their roleplay, but more so how they went about it. It was the most trollish unrealistic shit they were trying to pull like lol grabbing a shotgun and then using that to try and /me shoots players.

Skip to later in the night and the apocalypse has begun: The group of players was together and evacuated to the city by the US Army played by the admin team. The group needed a leader badly. They needed someone who could take charge and make good decisions to get them out of the city and to safety from the creatures. In comes retarded Rick Grimes. His character was a college kid who had taken the uniform of a dead deputy and now thought he was the shit (he thought he was actually a badass OOCly mind you). This guy somehow rallied the group together and the downfall began.

With us pushing the group forward cause Rick Grimes couldn't apparently, they escaped the city in the sewers and fought the final boss battle. They made their way out of the sewers and to the forest outside the city where they took refuge in a medieval castle (it was actually a restaurant that was supposed to be medieval themed). There shit really hit the fan as one bad decision after another made by not only Rick Grimes, but his right-hand men: a Navy Seal sniper (I did not authorize this) and a MARSOC fucking Marine (Both of which were his OOC friends). Now, this is about a week into the server and I'm already getting frustrated with the A-Team composed of Rick Grimes and two special forces members doing very dumb shit like taking on an enemy force of bandits much more well equipped and larger than them alone. This is about the point where we killed the Navy Seal sniper permanently and almost had Rick Grimes killed (he escaped on a rope he dangled off the cliff of the bandit's mountain hideout.

This is about the point where I just decided "fuck it, I'm done with this. Good experiment guys" and shut down the server. Don't get me wrong, Deadline was filled with great moments that the players loved, but a lack of players who wanted to lead the group and take charge ultimately burned it down.

tl;dr - Ran a GMod server we put a lot of work into. Three dumb players who thought they were really cool OOCly and made dumb decisions turned the rest of the group into dumb decision makers ruining the server in a week.
That's a yikes from me dawg

I've never RPed in a setting specifically like that before (I've only RPed on forums), but I've had similar things happen in group RPs... where one or a few bad RPers ruin it for everyone else. It's miserable.

Several years ago, I was doing a 1x1 Harry Potter RP with doubling. Things were going decently until she, for whatever reason, decided to have a canon character (I don't remember who anymore) break character and rape her OC. With no consequences. This came out of nowhere and left me shaken.

Meanwhile, they had completely stopped writing for my side of the RP while my OC was drowning. My OC died that day.

They then had the audacity to get mad at me when I wanted to quit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back