Chitchat Have you ever been criticized for roleplaying?

My boyfriend thinks I'm weird for roleplaying. He thinks all I do is erotic, furry, etc. Weird stuff. I tell him, no, it's just writing a story with someone else. He doesn't buy it. Lol. He says it's a waste of time. Nobody else knows what I do except for him. If I'm in public and someone asks me what I'm writing, I just say "eh, something" and leave it at that. Mind your business, fool!

Oh my goodness,funny story actually...

Long ago in a distant land(High school),I was in study hall.For those of you unaware study hall is basically a period where your expected to study and complete school work so that you may better yourself and make a mark in society.......we did none of that.Study hall to us involved all manner or goofing off and derogatory name calling(We even used to pantz each other....yes its spelled with a z).One particular Afternoon i found myself on my newly purchased smart phone(These were pretty new back then mind you) stuffed away in the corner on a web sight named Samuraioflegend.com.It was there that,while at home i often spent my evenings role playing and loving every second of doing so.But for some reason or another i decided that day that i was going to do some role playing in study hall.Unknowingly while i was doing so one of the class "Clowns" decided that he was going to watch over my shoulder exactly what i was up to.After about 10 or so minutes i could here giggling behind me.I turned around to find that the class "Clown" and his 3 "Lackies" were whispering to one another while shooting me dashing glances.Intrigued i asked the model citizens to what i owe there attention.The class clown laughed in a way most cruel and proclaimed"Dude your a I'm Uncultured".
With one brow risen i asked him "Why i gotta be all that".He replied with"Because your writing g*y little stories on your phone".He and his friends must have thought this was comedy gold because they all started dying laughing,so much so that the right most "Lacky" for some reason or another lost his balance and came tumbling to the ground bringing with him the class clown and one of his other friends.At this point it was my turn to laugh hysterically as i turned away from the comedic wizards and resumed my role-play quite uninterrupted.

True story guys

Well, let me tell ye a tale...
On the gaming website I chill at (Roblox), there's an RP forum intended for those who desire to RP.
https://forum.roblox.com/Forum/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=23
In the meantime, it's kind of been infected, as trolls post there stuff there as often as guilds do. Guilds do it because they think that since they're RPing as a military or something, they can't post it in the subforum literally labeled "Clans & Guilds."
Off topic.
Anyways, so on Roblox, there's a ton of games you can roleplay in, and I have yet to find more than like three that haven't been absolute trash in game design, community, content, etc. People tend to fit people who forum RP in with the group of people who RP ingame. Unfortunately, those who RP in the forum for the most part are far superior to those who RP ingame. So when we get shoved in with them, we're accused of doing stupid stuff, Online Dating, etc. And so, obviously, they'd like us to stop doing those cancerous activities which we haven't begun in the first place.

tl;dr, ingame RPers gave forum RPers a bad name, so when we're lumped in with them, we're asked to stop RPing with such cringey stuff.

Finally someone else who goes on ROBLOX! I've been frequenting the forums for a very long time.

i don't tell many people offline about it unless i know they'd be into it, and i wouldn't associate myself with people that dislike it enough to say someone else "shouldn't do it" just because they don't like it, because yikes

i almost got it from my parents way back, but i just said it was writing (which it is) and didn't bother giving context

tl;dr no not really but that's because i'm careful about who i divulge it to

Not openly, no, because I don't mention it to anyone I feel would criticize me for roleplaying.
I mentioned it offhand to my mom once, I think, but I mentioned 'collaborative writing' rather than roleplay because my mom's old-school and paranoid. I did mention it to my older brother because he and I discuss my writing in general and I like to run ideas by him, and he understood what I meant by "roleplaying" almost as soon as I'd explained it.
I did tell my SO about it about a year into the relationship. It just hadn't come up before, I don't think, and when I did begin to think about it, it was because I'd come across some thread about some guy whose girlfriend felt he was cheating by roleplaying romantic relationships with some smut. She wasn't comfortable with it in the least. Got me thinking about comfort levels, and eventually I was like: "Hey, boyfriend, there's this thing I do and it's lots of fun and you know how I like to write, right?" And I explained it and he thought it was the coolest thing. He's into the idea of roleplaying, but unfortunately, he hasn't found any francophone forums he likes and we don't know how we feel about roleplaying with people we know IRL. So he's not a roleplayer, but he's aware that I do it often. He has vague knowledge of a couple of my RPs.
I also told my best friends, and they just took it as like, another hobby, which it is. I read and write so much they just weren't surprised when I explained what roleplaying is. So, yeah, all the most important people in my life know I roleplay, and none of them have made me feel icky about it.

I'm sorry some of you have had such bad experiences god damn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back