Video Games Hardest Boss You Ever Beat?

yikes well if I were to judge it based on how many attempts it took for me to beat the boss then:
1. Midir from DS3 - mind you no cheese strats or summons.
I actually didn't find him that hard, just annoying because of the hitboxes. Non humanoid bosses have always been easier for me to handle too.
From my personal perspective aka how frustrated the fight made me:
1. Nameless King from DS3
Ugh, he literally made me abandon the game for a month before returning to get my ass kicked some more. In the end I've only beaten him while over levelled. The first phase is easy peasy, it's the second one that gets me scrambling. Barely no windows in his patterns to heal during and seemingly infinite stamina lol.
2. Pontiff Sulyvahn ALSO ds3
ThIS FUCKER CAN BURN IN HELL. Stupid ass endless stamina and shadow jutsu.

I make no sense I know lol

lud-fvckin-milla from of might and magic: clash of heroes.
it could also be due to the fact that i dislike using the undead army and she's stupidly powerful.

Pontiff Sullivan- Dark Souls 3

Then again, it's Dark Souls we're talking about here. We'll see if a Bloodborne boss can murder me harder, since I bought it on christmas.

ofieri frog prince HoS witcher 3

fight is a damn test of patience, and the poison venom that the frog spits everywhere is really annoying!

There's a lot of Dark Souls here. I've barely gotten anywhere in the game so the hardest I fought so far was Vordt of the Boreal Valley, but that's mostly due to my bad timing with dodges and attacking mixed with his speed and strength. I haven't beat him yet.
Just to change things up a little, Star Dream Soul Os Is from the True Arena in Kirby Planet Robobot is very high on my list of difficult bosses. He was tough in the normal fight during the main game with two phases, but here they give him four phases, each one stronger than the last. I've had the game the game for a year now and I still haven't beaten him. In fact, it's already hard enough to reach him in the first place.

Ballos from Cave Story, without a doubt. Not that the boss itself was the most difficult, but just getting back to the boss through the collapsing labyrinth every time I died was hell.
hqdefault.jpg

I struggled with Paul Serene from Quantum Break - it was kinda difficult, since I was playing on the highest dif possible, and I had like 20 FPS during the whole battle. Took me 5 attempts before I got it :P, can't remember any more bosses I struggled with really

God Eater 2 Magatsu Kyuubi. His attacks are erratic, HP pool is huge and he casts annoying orbs that reduce your max HP to 1. Had to use the broken Wild Sword Yang and Meteor Bullets before I brought it down the first time.

Big Ornstein from original Dark Souls.

Honestly, I can't even say this was necessarily the hardest boss I've fought -- fuck if I really do remember. But I do know this had me the most tense I've been for a while, since even a couple years before that, and I've still yet to match the intensiveness.

name-a-more-iconic-duo-ill-wait-follow-name-an-4513809.png

Ornstein and Smough, as you Dark Souls prohards will know, is a two-phase battle with two bosses (that's right, Dark Souls is hard enough, but it fucks you in the ass by throwing in two bosses simultaneously! Cheers.) The first phase can be fairly difficult even for veterans -- Smough's easy to dodge but he can surprise the hell out of you as Ornstein's literally chasing you around like Pikachu. Phase two begins when you kill one of these smug gold-plated bastards.

Kill ornstein and Lightning Smough is surprisingly easy to beat, difficulty similar to the Gaping Dragon. Just evade his electrifying butt slams and you're good.

Big Ornstein though, jesus christ. I died 27 times -- I remember because that's how much Humanity I started out with. I don't remember the full battle, but I do know this one attack which had superb tracking and could latch onto multiple people, easily taking out half your health if not more. I tried staying under his legs but his dodge attack got me almost every time. Now imagine this.

I'm sitting at the literal edge of my seat, SunnyD out for this specific occasion (actually it was for Gwynevere's tits but I changed my mind pre-battle), down to my last available humanity. Going into the battle I had less than five chugs of Estus left and Sunbro Solaire was almost immediately killed by one of those tracking impalements, so I was left entirely to my own devices, which consisted of some Elite Knight armor and a perturbingly low-durability Zweihander. If I failed this battle, I would have to trek back to the winged demon fuckers way in the beginning of Anor Londo, dodge and roll my way through Sen's Fortress, rush past Undead Parish, descend into the Burg and wade through the Depths so I could farm more humanity from those rats, then make the entire adventure once again. So this was it. Go big or go home.

I let Ornstein come to me, very keen to keep my distance and using the reach of my inhumanly large yet unrealistically cool Zweihander to my advantage. I was on edge the entire fight, but I nearly pissed my pants from anxiety whenever he'd use his tracking impalement ability or whenever I'd have to heal. When he's down to like 15 or 10% health I hear that heart-breaking, bone-crushing, brain-freezing metallic sound effect whenever a weapon would break. My Zweihander -- the long ass sword that has served me so faithfully and without fault for like half the game, has deceased. Fuck.

To top this off, I had one bar of health left with no Estus. I had a few Heal spells left yeah, but those are long-winded and would've guaranteed my death mid-prayer. Thus, I switch to my enchanted falchion. Sure, I had marginal experience using it from farming rats for humanity, but I was beast using my legendary +15 Zwei. And my beast wasn't even good enough. All I know is this fucker's at 10% and I can't lose, not now, not ever. So I go ultra crackhead mode.

My fingers are like noodles, wildly bouncing across the controls as my eyes analyze the arena and the broken pillars like a highspeed HD camera. I'm anticipating his attacks within milliseconds, deftly dodging at precise angles and calculating his cooldown and recovery times with lightning speed. His entire choreography lays out within the confines of my mind as I become an utterly invincible termite under a giant's foot. My falchion is used with extreme care -- never more than three hits in succession -- and I am constantly weaving out of danger with that badass backward cartwheel slash power attack.

And at the very end, he does it. The tracking impalement. With my extremely acute senses I deduce that I have approximately 1.2653 seconds before that 10-metre long spear is rammed up my ass with lethal power. Sure, I considered that I had a roughly 60% chance of dodging it, but in this fight, 60% wasn't enough. 70% wasn't enough. Hell, 99.99% wasn't enough. I held my breath. As the spear was mere centimeters from my character's torso (not literally) with a single motion honed from years of playing games and activities I'm not allowed to mention here (or am I), I simultaneously flick the analog stick to the north and press B, fastrolling just out of dodge and allowing me to counterattack, swiping at his shin.

And he falls. Big Ornstein has been defeated, his soul and souls now mine. My hunger for blood has finally been sated.

I think I said something along the lines of gg. I know I drank some SunnyD though! I immediately went to go see Gwynevere's tits.

Last edited:
Slave Knight Gael, in Dark Souls III. I was using a big and slow weapon and (for some reason) refused to switch it out to something more appropriate, and Gael has a gigantic health pool, at least in NG+, when I fought him. He was able to outlast me through sheer endurance easily, many times. Can't say I don't adore his final stage, though.

Thunder Blight Ganon from Breath of the Wild. That game was so easy but that one boss...it took me over 20 tries. I have no idea why. But apparently I'm not the only one who had issues with him.

Pokemon Black, Elesa. Not even the Elite Four were that bad...
Also have bad memories of Ghetsis.
And I STILL haven't got past Evrae in FFX.

That goddamn bass from mother 3. I probably died to him 7 times before all his side minions went tame. Doesn't help that you're limited on supplies at that part in the game, and you only have boney in your party.

Pretty much any legendary Pokemon from the Mystery Dungeon series. I have yet to even finish any PMD game because of certain bosses.

Another tough one was from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, of all places. The third boss, that awful baboon, gave me suuuuuch a headache. I think I needed a few days before I could take him down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back