• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Harcourt Ball (Open)

Characters
Here
"Ah, too bad we missed the scuffle then, I would assume that it was quite the spectacle to witness." He tells her, his eyes adverting to the lady in question. She did certainly look pale and logically Vincent assumes that she must feel winded because of her corset or perhaps the panic of being paired up with what his match had described as quite the unpleasant fellow. "Would you mind introducing me to your dizzy friend, then? I might be able to help her. Lucky for you, you are marrying into a family of doctors... so you may get sick as much as you want" He speaks in a light-hearted tone, his hand carefully coming to rest on the young lady's shoulder, a somewhat friendly gesture of support.

"How is your head feeling now, miss?" He asks her as he smiles a little, hoping he could encourage the young girl to be open about how she felt. It would've been kind of amusing if he had come all the way here to meet his betrothed but instead ended up taking care of a dozen winded ladies. Fainting was common, the average lady falling at the most minor inconvenience or shock. His father had a theory on the female lung, but Vincent mostly assumed that the tightly bound corsets contributed to the lack of airflow.

StarxLight StarxLight

Josephine heard the music switch to a different tune, and she looked down to Melissa's eyes. The woman was quite beautiful, flushed a petal pink across her cheeks and skin as fair as porcelain. If she didn't live and breathe then Josie could swear she was the most exquisite doll she had ever seen made. While there were indeed those who would have been turned away by her inability to speak above a whisper, that didn't trouble the redhead at all. She was still able to communicate normally with the lady and just needed to lean in closer to hear her. Why would that ever deter a man, she had no idea. It gave her an excuse to be even closer to Melissa than was proper.

"It is a shame since you are clearly a most gifted dancer. Graceful, kind, and beautiful, your suitor must be having absolute kittens that I have stolen you away to dance instead," she teased with a smile, completely oblivious to that painfully obvious look of adoration in Melissa's eyes. The woman could be said to be cruelly innocent, unaware of the true cost of her actions since she tended to simply carry on her way and left the mess to be someone else's problem to clean up. She didn't want to hurt people, actually truly disliked seeing others in distress, but it was in her nature since the woman behaved so cavalierly with others' hearts.

While looking down at her, what she did notice was that her corset had come completely undone. Well, that could cause a whole host of problems for the poor woman. So she slipped around behind her and began to lace it for her, leaning forward to say quietly, "Let me know if it is too tight. I don't need you fainting on me. Well, you're always welcome to do so if that is what you wish, but I would hate for it to be from medical reasoning," she laughed. From this position, she was now overlooking the top of Melissa's head and caught sight of a woman who seemed to be looking at them intently. She didn't have a flower at all on her, which struck the redhead as curious.

"It seems that one of the guests has gone rogue and ceased playing this little game. She's staring in this direction, so I wonder. Is she your intended, Melissa?" Then again, she hadn't met hers. Would someone have decided to pair two troublemakers together, perhaps in a desperate bid to not soil another family's good name? The idea of it amused the redhead though she had absolutely no faith that such a pairing could work.

Thaddeus’ emotions were at the end of the rope.

On the marvelous marble floor, dresses flew, laughter ignited, smiles bursted. So, why in all that was good in the world, was he sour? He found his answer when his eyes gandered on a couple. In a cascading deep jade dress, a self-willed woman had her hands interlaced around his intended. She was turning her, pulling her close when the dance called for it, seemingly engaging with her to get responsive blossomed flushes and springing simpers. In the limelight, he watched as the diminutive woman that had denied him sway and lave herself into the trust of the auburn, red-head.

So, she could lie.

It was the one conclusion he could make about her seeing her lively frolicing at her feet.

Thaddeus watched from a distance, arms crossed at his torso. He wasn’t envious, no. His betrothed was a harlot he had known nothing of. She was a puzzle he had yet to piece together, a shadow among a thickened layer of fog. But, she was to be his, and irritably he did not enjoy her partitioning herself with others. It was an ironic philosophy: Didn’t he himself wants to be free from all those vows that he would have to make?

His thoughts were cantering more riotiously than his most ill-tamed horse back at home in the stables. He needed a drink. His hand wreathed around a passing glass of brimming champagne on a tray. Plucking the glass up in a swift, fugitive movement like a parched falcon, the glass was abducted from the ornate arrangement it once beheld on the tray. In a zest, Thaddeus downed the glass of copper-golden fluid.

It was a coincidence that as soon as the burn of the drink settled down his throat, he caught a glower of a woman. Irrationally, his face split into an imperceptible hooked smirk. He couldn’t help it. The mannerisms in the way she riveted a denounced glare with a slight knit in her eyebrows and tightened lips was amusing. From observations alone, she was an amethyst in the ballroom; her lilac dress embosomed her femine figure and embellished the lavender corsage embedded into her thick brunette hair. She was in the company of a man who judging by the bunched lavender on his attire equated as her suitor. He appeared to be an admirable man with broad shoulders and light eyes.

Elodie turned a little to watch the lady as well. She was currently being swept across the dance floor by another beautiful red headed women, not the same she had been taken in by before, but just as stunning "Mm, some entertainment apart from this music I suppose. I'm not quite sure who it was between but my mother did tell me there would be some talented fighters here." She turned to hear back towards Vincent and gave him a smile "I am not yet acquainted with the Lady in question but I'd love to see you work. We may have to pry her from her dance, however." she laughed a little.

A doctor? How interesting! She could see how her parents thought the match would be beneficial, but honestly was a little surprised. In a good way of course. She had always wanted someone with smarts, even if it wasn't the same kind as her. He placed his hand on her shoulder and she beamed up at him "Doctors? That takes a lot of study, you must have an impressive work ethic and an incredible amount of patience." Elodie said, interested "I will however, refrain from getting Ill as much as I can." she teased a little, delighted that her match was able to do the same.

Elodie liked that he asked about her with what seemed like concern. Professional or personal she didn't mind. She held her hands in front of her, clasped together "I am feeling much better, now, thank you.". She flushed a little "It was a combination of champagne being thrown at me, but not having eaten yet and nerves." Elodie didn't like admitting it, but it should be said "I sometimes get. . . overwhelmed by worry. My mother calls it Hysteria although I'm not quite sure that is what I feel."

From the corner of her eye, she noticed the man again. He was drinking something and smirking only a tiny one but it was there . . . and seemingly at her. She had to try harder to resist rolling her eyes. What an intolerable man! she thought to herself, trying to ignore him in favour of her match. Hopefully, their paths never crossed. Elodie had some choice words for men like that, and this was one thing she was never able to temper. She hoped her intended did not care that she was so 'strong willed' as her mother called her.

Lowquta Lowquta lion. lion.

The low rumble of a laugh that escapes his lips is shortlived, but it’s there as he shakes his head lightly. ”Hysteria, you say? I think a lady should be allowed to feel worried... the world is a worrisome place after all.” He tells her, his expression fond. He couldn’t help but notice the way she kept glancing towards the direction of a different man, a wickedly charming smirk plastered over his face in contrast to the incredibly irritated one on his match. A feeling of discourse between the two, a blossoming rivalry perhaps even.

Vincent’s lips purse as if he is trying to contain his smile, his eyes a dead give away as he glances in the direction of the young gentleman. His hand raises as if he mimics holding a glass of champagne, raising it in a small toast towards him before he looks back at the young woman, unable to hold back the smile that he was trying to subdue just moments prior. ”Clear distaste for this gentleman I see...” he speaks, his voice amused and gentle.

He brings his hand up to his lip for a second as he thinks, eyes once again focused on the man in question. His fingers twirl the end of his mustache, a contemplative gesture ”What do you think, hm? Politics or Trade? That smile he’s giving you makes me think that he’s on quite the high horse...” he tells her in a lighthearted tone. He had seen a dozen of men like him in his lifetime, and while intriguing curiosity bloomed within him regarding the distaste the young woman seemed to have for the man, he found himself wondering even more where that smile came from.

StarxLight StarxLight lion. lion.

Melissa stopped as the redhead went behind her and began to tie up her corset again. Her gaze landed on the girl Josie mentioned before shaking her head and pointing to Thaddeus who appeared to be watching them. "He is my to be," she whispers unsure if Josie could hear her. The girl turned around after Josie had finished fixing her corset and stared the redhead in the eyes without saying a single word. She felt such an attraction to this girl and she wasn't sure why...Was it love? Surely it couldn't be after such amount of time and they were not paired together.

Without thinking properly, Melissa lunged in and planted a deep kiss onto Josie's lips before whispering, "Thank you...please don't forget me." The girl turned bright red and turned back around and began to walk off towards Mika to collect her shoes so she wasn't the only one who seemed out of place. What have I done? I've messed up already! Oh god oh god oh god...her confidence soon turned to panic and she rushed over to Mika before grabbing the girl's hand and pulling her out into the hallway away from the people in the ballroom.

When Elijah got close to her and whispered in her ear Adalia's face turned a beat red. She looked up at him as he moved back to watch the fight that was about to ensue. She didn't even realize that she was fiddling with her necklace , the feeling that her heart was about to jump out of her chest was almost too much for her. This whole night had been almost on cloud nine for her. It was sort of like Elijah had her wrapped around his finger.

She started to look at the two people in the garden. And before she knew it punches where being thrown. In its pure essence what she was seeing was very brutal. But they where both skilled , they dodged each others attacks quite frequently but when the hits connected they connected hard. Adalia covered her face once blood started to show but she still left enough vision , spreading her fingers open to see the carnage that was ensuing right in front of her.

Adalia hissed and gasped whenever they managed to pull of some cool dodge , To the point where Adalia had stopped covering her face and started rooting for the both of them , jumping in place It was like she was watching an actual boxing match. "BEAT EACH OTHER UP, AHHHH" Adalia was screaming in mandarin her hands cupped together to amplify herself , She looked like a giddy little child in her little dress

Maybe after a few minutes of Adalia screaming , tugging on Elijah's arm and pointing at what was happening. The fight had ended and the pair both shook hands. She realized she had scrunched up Elijah's coat from tugging on him so much. "Ah.. I'm sorry .. haha I don't know what got into me." She blushed before patting and trying to fix how she crumpled up Elijah's sleeve. "That was pretty intense though right?" She said with a smile.

Alvaris Alvaris Mentioning : A.I.S.H.A. A.I.S.H.A. Ashwalker Ashwalker

Elodie is unsurprised to hear a laugh leave Vincent's lips, but smiles at his amusement, taking her attention away from the man she har been glowering at. She hums and says "I'm certainly glad you think so." A little shy under his fond look. She appreciates it none the less. She watches in amusement as her intended raises a glass to the man, his eyes full of amusement himself. She wonders if the smile he is trying to contain means he is amused by her distaste or the Man smirking. His voice is gentle, however when he speaks. She nods "When a woman, or anyone has taken ill and is resting on a fainting couch you let them rest. Not huff over an imagined rejection, engaged or no" She looks again at the woman, who was surprisingly fleeing the room.

Elodie was delighted at the question, and laughed a little, her nose crinkling in amusement "oh, political background for sure. All of that arrogance has to come from somewhere." She was finding herself pleasantly amused by Vincent, and felt silly for ever wondering if he would be awful. Although, she supposed, her mother could still change that. She would beg to live elsewhere is she had too. Elodie shook her head, curls bouncing a she did so "enough about him, however. We are supposed be be getting to know one another."

The pupils of Thaddeus’ liquid Neptune-pooled eyes betrayed him; they had a yen to prolong his sideways glance at the pair. Was it the wilderness that twinkled in her eyes? Was it the remotely etched disdain displayed at the downwards curl of her soft, rosy lips? Thaddeus reputably, as a result of being astrayed in her unexplained curtail of fire, gained the attention of the man. He watched the towering man with a quill of moustache leisurely congress with him by a levying up his glass of beverage.

Thaddeus couldn’t discern whether it had been mockingly or winsomely; it did remind him of two words.

Stay away.

It was a warning that had fallen between the cracks when he had stared at her. Respectably, his own glass rose back in response, and he pulled his gaze to his intended. Luck, the disagreeable element, managed to guffaw in his face for the next visible thing he saw was his intended lock lips with the auburn. Outright in the midst of society, he watched astoundly as the scene folded out.

There was still that last dance.

Frankie looked to the spectators, still riding off the high of the fight. He grinned with overwhelming glee and waved at them. He made a few strongman poses, his body drenched in sweat. Then he remembered. There was still some blood he needed to wash off. Where was his rum? Frankie grabbed his clothes. He didn’t put anything back but what he did do his bow tie again. What could he say? He needed to show some effort at looking the part. He walked back into the ballroom with a spring to his step, as graceful as a blood and sweat covered boxer could be. He grabbed the napkin off a waiter’s hands and wiped his face. “Señor,” he told the waiter. “Bring me all the bottles of De La Rosa Rum you have.” The waiter looked at him, perplexed.
“All of them?”
“Did I stutter?” Frankie walked back to the couch Melissa was sitting on earlier and picked up his half empty bottle. It was time to finish this off. Nothing got his blood running more than a good fight and he wasn’t about to let the feeling go away. He looked at everyone for a moment, out two fingers to his mouth and whistled loud enough for the coyotes to hear it.
“Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to make an announcement,” he bellowed. He took a fork and tapped his bottle with it. He waited until he gathered everyone’s attention. What he would do next might be partly because his brain was still racing... and also because Frankie had a bad habit of acting before he thought things through. He will say this those. That’ll still make for the best parties. The doors opened and waiters wheeled in bottles upon bottles of De La Rosa Rum. “This wouldn’t be a party until I’ve thrown my hat into the ring,” he stood up on a table and pointed to his bloody nose. “Trust me I’m done this more than once,” he joked and raised the bottle. “So im going to give all of you a little flavor for the Latin quarter. Help yourselves to all the rum you want, courtesy of the De La Rosa family! Turn it up boys,” Frankie demanded of the band. They frantically stumbled through some notes before turning to a classical piece which much higher tempo. “Here’s to a night to remember but we’ll probably forget!” Frankie threw his arms out expecting cheers as the waiters opened bottle after bottle of the mountain of rum they were soon going to serve. Frankie took his own bottle and began to chug down what remained.

@ Everyone

Matthias blushed himself as his eyes grazed over Lucas's body. He was right, completely right, confidence WAS attractive. He shook his head as he listened to Lucas refuse him replacing the suit. Knowing Matthias, he would do it anyway. He had made Lucas blush, and thats all Matthias could think about currently. Lucas was just like a puppy, adorable, and innocent.

Matthias's eyes lit up at the mention of tea, but then slightly dimmed down after remembering not being able to find it earlier. "Earlier, me and my friend couldn't find the tea, do you think you can seek better than us both?" He joked.

As Lucas's voice went very posh Matthias snorted with laughter, and gently took Lucas's hand. "How could I ever say no?" Matthias and Lucas walked toward the building, and as they neared Matthias could hear yelling, it almost frightened him, but he felt safe with Lucas next to him. He just gave Lucas a questioning gaze as the noise erupted. "What is going on?"

MToki MToki

Katarina stepped away from her opponent, still moving with a fighter's liquid grace. She used the distraction of her boisterous opponent to slip away to her clothes. She looked down at them and then her own body almost regretfully. She wasn't going to be able to redress as it stood. She was soaked with sweat and while little of her blood had been shed, she had caught some of her opponents. Instead she shook her hands off and crouched next to her clothes, carefully wrapping them up in her cloak. She went to move her things and felt her shoulder twinge. Pausing she rolled her shoulders, stepping away from her clothes and shoes again.

She walked to the fountain and splashed her face lightly before beginning to take an inventory of her injuries. Her shoulder is probably the most serious, but she got lucky and it didn't dislocate or break, just got strained. She stretched her arms slowly and carefully, inadvertently showing off her muscles as she eased them. Her feet had been scraped by her exertions but they had long since toughed to the point that no blood was drawn. Her ribs had taken a lot of punishment but there was only so much she could do to ease that. None had broken so she just had to deal with the increased sensitivity and discomfort until she healed. She noted her legs were scraped here and there as she lightly stretched them. She took a moment there by the fountain to cool down from the fight, ignoring all but her immediate surroundings as she eased her worked muscles almost meditatively.

I'm just posting this to place her for the next lil bit in case of ppl needing to talk to her and then shes going to briefly go back to her room to change and come back. In particular I believe Molly was intending to approach her? Jess Buck Jess Buck

It felt good for someone to stand by his side, even at such an event as a fight. The fact that this woman, Adalia, was his, even if it wasn't official sent shivers down his spine. He wanted someone like this for quite some time. He glanced down at her for a moment before returning his gaze to the fighters. This battle had his complete attention from then on out. Each person moved with a determined grace. Their blows were calculated and each step appeared to be like a dance, the most dangerous dance of all.

Elijah was entirely sucked into the fight until he heard Adalia. At her gasps and noises of surprise or anger, he found himself grinning. She was a character all right, one he was glad to be paired with. His head shot in her direction at her outburst. Though he wasn't sure he should have been surprised. Adalia, though a lady, was quite forward and outspoken, a trait he found undeniably attractive. Despite not knowing what she said, he felt inclined to agree. A laugh vibrated his core as he watched her for a moment longer.

Elijah turned back to the man and woman as they faced off. A surprising twist, the woman ceded. He couldn't have predicted a better ending if he'd tried. Both seemed like excellent sports. Elijah lifted his hands to clap, but Adalia pulled at his arm. He shook his head with a grin. He'd always been told that people are never quite what they appear and that was a statement he felt proved over and over, which made him curious about the man and woman before them.

"Fret not. Wrinkles are fixable," Elijah said before nodding. "Quite intense." He was impressed with their fighting abilities, but more impressed by their sportsmanship. "That was a riveting match, they were quite evenly paired." Elijah turned to Adalia. "Shall we proceed inside?" He motioned toward the door. "I feel rather parched, would you care for a drink?" He asked. Mingling was also on his agenda, he was curious about the others here. Part of him felt like Adalia was a prize, one he didn't deserve, but graciously accepted and desired to show off. Maybe that pride was the Ainsley in him? He couldn't be sure. His father seemed like a humble man, but any keen eye could spot his arrogance seeping through his words.

Elijah didn't wish to be like him, but sometimes who one wishes to be is far from who they truly are.

Ghostiiys Ghostiiys
Mention(s): A.I.S.H.A. A.I.S.H.A. Ashwalker Ashwalker

Rosie was surprised that yet another person here at this party could sign. She had never met anyone outside her family who could sign. It made her feel a little less isolated that there was someone here who could actually communicate with her. She understood the woman's refusal of the champagne. Rosie had not realized earlier that she was just a maid; however in retrospect she was wearing the proper attire. But Rosie couldn't help but giggle as she took it and gave a good sip. Rosie smiled as the woman began talking about her Mistress. She seemed quite fond of the girl, which Rosie found endearing. She wished she had that kind of relationship with her translator. But alas, Molly was terribly dull. At the mention of Josie flirting with her earlier Rosie chuckled.
"Yes well, it seems she likes to flirt." She shrugged "I understand it. When you're as beautiful and charming as she is I'm sure it's quite easy. And undoubtedly an ego boost as well. And besides, I believe she's one of the few people who haven't met her betrothed yet." Rosie sighed thinking about her's. She could tell just from the extreme change in demeanor before and after the fight, there was a lot to this woman that she had to learn. Not that it bothered Rosie, but only that gaining that kind of trust takes time, and Rosie only had a few weeks before they were to be wed. She couldn't help but feel as though it just wasn't enough time to get to know a person. Her father and Charlotte had been lucky. They met one night at a party Charlotte was hosting. Her father's friend had invited him out to socialize and he and Charlotte hit it off straight away. Rosie was happy for her father. That he was able to find love again after what tragically happened to their family. But connections like that take time. Roderick had met Charlotte when Rosie was eight and only decided to introduce her to Rosie when she was ten. And then didn't get married to her until she turned twelve. Rosie just really hoped things would go well, and that the two of them wouldn't be stuck in an arrangement neither of them were happy with.

Rosie had been so deep in her thoughts she hadn't noticed the maid take a larger drink of her champagne. Nor had she noticed the Spanish man stand up on a chair and make a speech before offering the entire ballroom a drink. She did notice however, when Josie and...Melissa, she thought the maid had said her name was, finished dancing. The small blonde girl planted an awkward kiss onto Josie before scurrying off, taking the maid with her. Rosie chuckled once they had left. What had just happened?

Sgt Gomez Sgt Gomez Cosmos Cosmos redroseknight redroseknight Ashwalker Ashwalker A.I.S.H.A. A.I.S.H.A.

”See, I knew you had an eye for people.” Vincent says, a feeling of calm washing over him as the woman reciprocated his banter. He figured that it could’ve easily turned into an expression of that very distaste she had for that man, but instead it had been rather sweet. She hadn’t been dull by any means, instead humoring Vincent in all his strange antics.

So she wasn’t a big fan of men who let their distaste for rejection get the best of them. He wonders if that very distaste came from being into politics, those snobs often unfamiliar to the concept of a no. That was the least interesting part of the man, however as he noticed the intensity of his stare towards the young lady Elodie. The level of intrigue on his face was something for the books after all.

”You are right, please pardon my distraction, do tell me more about yourself. What do you do when not being married off to a stranger? What is your family like, hm?” He begins asking her once he snaps out of his own stare in the direction of the man, hoping that he could at least get one or two things about the background of his betrothed through the questions. He thought about it for a second, thinking that if her family was as crazy as his, this entire marriage would be a truly interesting ride.

StarxLight StarxLight

"I would say I'm more vigilant, but I was the one who fell into the pond." Lucas jested. "If none is available, then perhaps we can sip champagne and enjoy the food." He would ask who this friend was, but he felt that it would make him look jealous, which he wasn't! Well, maybe a little. But he knows he has no need to be, he's known Matthias for less than a day, and it's good that the other has gotten to make a friend. Yet there was a part of him that wished he could've been there.

"Let's find out." Lucas responded, leading Matthias by the hand into the building, making his way to the ballroom, careful now to slip on the puddle that were made by the dripping water from his own clothing. "It appears a man who looks as though he's gotten into a fight of some sort, has now taken control of the party and is giving out, presumably, all the rum they have."

Curiously, he walked over to one of the servers and grabbed two glasses of rum. "Now, I'm not the type to get too intoxicated at events, and I assume you aren't either," Lucas said, returning to Matthias. "But, the man has brought up a lot of rum and I'd feel bad for the workers to have to put all of this back. So," Handing his betrothed a glass, he raised his own up. "Cheers?" While Lucas would never admit it, his appearance back a formal ball with his clothes dripping wet and partially see-through, was definitely an instance where he needed a drink. And since he didn't want to come off as an alcoholic, this was his best excuse.

Breathless Breathless

Mika had been a tad overwhelmed, spacing out as she watched the others hands waiting intently for a reply as she was used to at such events, once she got one she smiled brightly a little and nodded, 'It does seem as though' she began, pausing to think and rubbing at the finger cramp again before sighing lightly, 'She best be careful though- hearts are more delicate than most think, especially those like Melissa' She continued the movement getting slower and her facial expression more saddened as she went, near the last part finally turning her head to glance back at her mistress, only to see a sight that made her body freeze.

"D-Did they, Just kiss!?" she hissed out under her breath with a gasp, mouth agape a little as though in disbelief as her face trembled, grabbing tightly onto her outfits fabric before she was swept up by her blonde haired mistress and taken to the hallway.

As they stood there Mika still seemed in shock, though not pale or faint, her eyes were still slightly widened and her hands were shaking terribly as she tried to clasp them in front of her, as though running on autopilot she managed to shake out a small smile, "Y-Yes…. Mistress?" she stuttered out a little after a moment, eyes nervously avoiding eye contact.

It just felt like apiece of her world had fallen apart. Her mind felt numb, not angry- just…. So confused.
_______
Sgt Gomez Sgt Gomez Jess Buck Jess Buck

After listening to the translator of her betrothed, Katarina nodded wordlessly and rolled her shoulders one last time, turning back to her things. She gathered up her clothes with a certain care, and her sword with a blatant reverence. She moved with a soundless grace a little further into the garden before following the line of the house. She found another door and slipped in with a habitual subtlety. She was a distance down one of the hallways that led to the ballroom. At the ballroom a pair slipped out the doors in a hurry. The Lady that her opponent had been approaching when she challenged him, and another that she assumed was her attendant. She briefly considering offering some manner of greeting, but decided that while she was in fighting clothes that were soaked to her body by sweat and sprinkled with blood, was not the appropriate time for an introduction. Instead she turned away from the ballroom and quietly continued on her way.

When she reached her door she entered with a quiet sigh of relief. It wasn't much of a sanctuary, but it was more than she had had for a few months now. She carefully set her sword on a table inside the door as she passed. When she saw the still warm cleaning things set out alongside a set of simpler clothing she smiled. The old man knew her well. She stripped and briskly cleaned herself. Long practice with dealing with the aftermath of fights made the process simple and familiar. A proper bath would come later when she didn't have someone who might become her wife waiting on her timely arrival. She briefly ran a warm damp cloth through her hair, followed by a dry cloth and a brush, thankful for her short hair. She redressed in a new set of underthings and then moved to the fighting clothes and simple suit that been set out. She hesitated there, struck by an exceedingly rare whim.

There was a single piece of clothing that came with her on her request. She had for the most part trusted Adrian to pick from amongst her wardrobe a suitable set, and knew that that trust had made the old man happy. One thing had followed her back to her parent's estate, and had then followed her here. When she dug into the wardrobe within the room it took her a moment to find the garment at the very back. She smirked slightly, knowing that Adrian likely assume that the thing had either been pushed on me or snuck into my things. The first was true, but had occurred long before she returned to the Rathstone family estate.

She laid the dress out and gazed at it, briefly lost in thought. The thing had been gifted to her when she had finally reached fluency in sign language, the giver having a rather sly sense of humor. It was a beautifully crafted thing, even while nobody in the rarified environs she now stood in would recognize it's make or it's seamstress. She smiled again, remembering the way it's maker had signed to her that it was surplus, ordered and discarded by some spoiled noble. Even Katarina could recognize the work of a master tailor that went into suiting a dress to a woman who never wore dresses. It was a beautiful thing, and also far more practical than it would seem. The most blatant bit of tailoring was the pocket designed rather exactly to match her sword and allow her to place it's sheathe within the folds and cloth of the dress, linked to a subtle not quite belt built into the dress where the blade hung.

The whole thing was designed to suit Katarina, in a way that even now warmed her. Were it not for it's clear beauty the thing could almost be a battledress of some odd conception. It altered the movement of her legs hardly at all and made it impossible for her opponents to read her footwork. The upper body likewise restricted her movements not at all. She knew of course that the upper body had also been made to emphasize and make much of what chest she had, along with showing off the muscles of her arms and shoulders through a just slightly see-through mesh. Finding her betrothed to be a deaf woman brought the last deaf woman she had been close to to mind. The next time they saw each other she would have to hug the woman, and only partly to reduce the amount of time she would hit Katarina about the head and shoulders for the choices she had made. Perhaps if she told her that she had worn her dress to her first real meeting with her betrothed, she would at least be somewhat happier.

Honestly though, that wasn't much the reason why she carefully put the thing on as she had been instructed by it's maker. Once it was on she couldn't help but move, feeling the way it flowed with her movements so smoothly. Katarina looked in the mirror and couldn't help but smirk. If her mother could see her now she would probably faint. The last time she had worn a dress was when she was when she graduated from the hand-me-downs and scraps given to a child expected to die. As soon as she had access to the training and training clothes offered to her sibling's she embraced them. Her mother had tried to get her into dresses more than a few times over the years, and here her wishes would be granted with her none the wiser. Breaking the streak to meet her betrothed in a dress made by her real family had a certain appeal to it.

Stepping away from the mirror she returned to her sword, tucking it into it's place inside her dress. She suspected that that addition to the garment was only partly made out of courtesy, and was largely made because Katarina was at best exceedingly unlikely to go anywhere without her blade. She turned to the door and hesitated for a brief moment as she felt her gown swish around her body. The sensation was unfamiliar, yet in it's reminder of someone she cared about she found comfort. She stepped forward and opened the door to go meet what could very well be her fate if her betrothed did not discard her. As she walked towards the ballroom she ruminated on the fact that what she found there could be momentous, and it all depended on someone's opinion of her, which was rarely her best metric.

When she slipped unobtrusively into the ballroom she scanned it. She noted distantly the revelers, taking a brief moment to find amusement in her opponent's lack of dress combined only with a bow tie. She recognized the delay for what it was as she turned away again and sought out her betrothed sitting upon the couch. One Rosaline Adler if she recalled her parent's insistent briefing. She discarded her parent's other words with only a slight, subtle baring of her teeth. She would at least do her betrothed the courtesy of letting her introduce herself. She moved quietly through the crowd, avoiding servants and the attention of other party-goers where she could. She was quite definitely not running her thumb along the hilt of her sword, and even if she was, she was quite certain that it had nothing to do with anxiety. Her posture was loose and graceful, yet held the slightest hint of defensiveness that she would never admit to in the position of her shoulders and her blade.

She sat next to the raven-haired beauty in the airy lilac dress with a lack of ceremony that felt almost odd to her considering the portentousness of the moment. She sat to her betrothed's left, tucking her legs along the couch to her own left to allow her sword to sit easily. She turned herself to face the woman to her right, freshly out of excuses to look or be elsewhere. She smiled with the barest hint of apology and signed once she thought she had her attention, So I believe we are to be betrothed. I guess I might as well begin properly, even if the information is likely redundant. I am Katarina Rathstone, newly heir apparent to the Barony, previous black sheep. Who might you be?

Jess Buck Jess Buck It's terrible, long, and kinda ignores time along with being the first and likely only time in this rp that Kat will wear a dress, but here it is. Below is her new character image along with the dress in question and her sword just because. Character image altered solely because of hair if I'm honest. still not happy with it but w/e
1570718916206.png
1570718886292.png
1570718933529.png

Eliza let out a chuckle as the man from the fight came inside, having given bare attention to it very briefly as it had heated up, but gotten re-immersed in the affairs of the ballroom quickly as what seemed to be a stare down began between a trio, the flower matched pair being given such by the single man as the starter. She had noted his flower was the companion of the girl who was currently dancing with the captivating female she'd spotted prior, and quickly had begun to understand what was going on. Finding light amusement in it she smirked before letting out an eyeball as the girl timidly kissed the much taller companion before running off like a bashful child. "Lets hope that one can handle a honeymoon~" she mused out loud as she slowly waltzed over to the green dressed lady.

Smirking further a she rested her arms together behind her head, glancing about the floor with slight bemusement as a tray full to the brim with rum was rolled inside, and the man from the fight suddenly got on a table and yelled. "Now, There's something I can get behind!~" she let out gleefully, giving him a somewhat overly eager cheer. If the girl had actually paid attention to her own flower earlier before throwing it, or rather before trying to escape out a second story window, she would have actually realised the lady beside her had its match, however, nothing but a vaguely familiar air was given as she glared at the small floral piece briefly, "Did I see that somewhere? I guess I as in a giant garden earlier" she muttered, metaphorically scratching her head before giving up with a shrug.

Walking over towards the table she grabbed at a glass just as the poor waiter barely let it slip from his hands, suddenly her eyes recognised the female member of the trio as the man walked over towards the other, gruffly she may have 'innocently' bashed against his shoulder, glancing back with a sly look that only the two men would see as she reached up a hand and waved wildly at the other, "Elodie!~" she called out with a cheesy grin, "Looks like this party finally got more interested thanks to that fighting doofus." she giggled, looking back at the mans still bleeding nose.

"Yeesh'. Like I get its boring but even I haven't done something like that- yet" she mused, adding the final word a little after a hesitation with a devious glint in her eyes. Glancing back at the tall haired female again she leant in close to the other, "Looks like I have competition, huuh?" she let out in a small tone, leaning back outwards as she took a large swig of the hard drink, seeming practically unfazed apart from a deep breath afterwards before placing it down heavily on a nearby table and grabbing at the hair tie holding the messy ponytail together that was still fighting to stay in her flaming red hair.

Reaching back she grabbed the small fabric object and pulled it out backwards, leaving her hair to fall down her shoulders briefly before she did it back up -admittedly not much better than it was- and sighed, "Argh. I'll never get this hair thing" Slowly she leant back against the nearby wall and shoved her hands once again into her pockets, dress's rim now even more dirtied and torn than before.
______

StarxLight StarxLight A.I.S.H.A. A.I.S.H.A. lion. lion. redroseknight redroseknight Lowquta Lowquta

Josephine cast her gaze toward a man who was glowering at the pair. She knew nothing of the man, but she had seen plenty who stood just like him, contempt in their eyes and a sneer on their lips as they viewed the world as theirs. What a poor match that would be, such a willful, condescending fellow to someone as gentle and clearly in need of bolstering as Melissa. "I see. My condolences." She finished with the laces and looked into Melissa's eyes, trying to decipher the expression on her face. Josie didn't really get the opportunity to do so for long. Melissa was soon on the tips of her toes and pressing her soft lips against her own, surprising the redhead. She would have thought this a rather bold move from a woman so timid. As soon as the kiss had ended, Josie heard the whispered words of her companion. A soft request for her to not forget Melissa which was quite endearing, she had to admit. Then off the young woman ran, taking her maid with her. Josie smiled and laughed, quite amused at having been taken by surprise for a change. Her gaze shifted to Thaddeus, and she offered him a bright, charming smile as well as a curtsy. Why, it was only polite, after all!

Her gaze shifted as Frankie stood up and drew everyone's attention to him, inviting them to drink freely of the De La Rosa rum. Well, she wouldn't deny such a civil request though rum was not as popular among her circles as a good whiskey or brandy. Not that a lady of polite society ever drank such! And Josie, clearly, obeyed such strict laws of behavior set forth for young ladies. She was about to go retrieve a glass herself when she was approached by another woman, a theme of the night that she would not mind having continue. Laughter escaped her lips, and she tilted her head. "I fear I don't know what you might be referring to, my lady. Though I have always been quite the proponent of friendly competition!" She watched the woman step away and struggle with her hair, her gaze sweeping to find that the woman truly didn't have a flower at all. She did say she was in a garden previously so she might have lost it there. Still, Josie wasn't about to make assumptions that this was her missing suitor. Instead, she decided to step toward the young woman and offer her assistance.

"I saw you were having some trouble with your hair. Here, allow me," she offered, placing her hand on Eliza's shoulder to urge her to turn so that she could have the ability to get to her hair.

After the fight was over and the man even posed for them causing Adalia to laugh. This night was so wild and brought so many surprises she did not expect things to end up at the point they where at now.

Adalia nodded. “ Oh yes ! I did not even realize how parched I am myself. “ She stated as she made her way with Elijah into the ballroom. She was pleased to see people dancing and conversing. It even looked like Elodie had found her intended.

She noticed the man from the fight standing up and offering everyone his families signature rum. Adam is shrugged and got one glass , any more and she probably wouldn’t of woken up until two days later!

“ There is so many new people here I haven’t introduced myself too. Have you met anyone Elijah?” Adalia asked.

Alvaris Alvaris

The fight was like nothing he's ever seen before. The skillful dance of two opponents who each can switch around a situation was stunning to say the least. His attention was taken by the two making him forget what he was even here for. As the scene drew to a close Ezra was unsure if he could ever fully put into words how it was. He clapped when the man seemed to notice the spectators, even posing for the few in the crowd. If anything he seems to be getting quiet a good bit of interesting stories to tell later. If one was to tell him before hand that he'd meet interesting people and even witness a fight, well in all honesty he'd be curious and go simple for that. As the man left he saw how the woman went over to the fountain and seemed to be checking over herself.

A whistle drew his attention back to the ballroom and he heeded the call. His gaze setting on the man who was fighting just before who announced that he'd have his own rum to be an option. Deciding this may be the best time to try and see about them he made sure to head over and make his presence known. His face was clearly showing admiration as he spoke up. "May I say that I have not seen such an amazing display before. I was captivated from the when it started to the end. You truly have a skill for fighting," he was about to carry on, forgetting that he practically came up to a stranger without even giving his own name. "I apologize, my enthusiasm got the best of me. Ezra Conray, a pleasure to meet you,"

A.I.S.H.A. A.I.S.H.A.

Elodie does nothing to contain her laugh this time, delight spreading across her face. An attendant walks over with a tray of assorted drinks this time, and she picks up what seems to be the juice from before. She still hasn't eaten a huge amount and does not want to get too drunk "I see you do as well." she returns. She determinedly does not look at the man they are both talking about, instead keeping her eyes focused Vincent.

She is rather glad she does not object to her statement, rather seeming to think it over for a moment "Oh no pardon needed!" she said but her smile dulled a little at the question. She had been hoping to avoid speaking of families. It was impossible, she knew, he was marrying into hers and she his. Still, her family were. . . Interesting to say the least. She pondered what to say, while sipping on her drink. She would answer the first question. "When not being married off? I'm usually quite busy either reading or completing paperwork. I like to bake and I do some gardening. Herbs and such, what about you? Or is your time mostly taken up by medicine?"

She settled with "It is just Mama, Papa and I. Papa has some cousins in Scotland, but we rarely here from them." she took another sip of the juice. Her eyes averted from his for a moment "Mama is strict and she never really wanted children, but Papa needed an heir. She doesn't like me much as a result." she tried to brush over her statement by saying "Papa is kind though, and I am in training to take over his business. We print books of all sorts, in many different countries." Elodie turned her gaze to him and crinkled her nose in mild distaste "There is so much paperwork.". Elodie tired to relax her shoulders again, as they had tensed at the thought of her mother. She had little success, so she instead asked "How about yours?"

Just as she finished, a man with a blood stained nose and barely any clothes on announced who his family was, and brought in the alcohol. She declined a glass for how, but asked an attendant if some couldn't be left in her rooms for another night. She was expecting correspondence from her mother soon and she always needed a stiff drink for that. She raised her glass to him in thanks, and wondered if he should get that nose looked at. El waived at her and she smiled but waived back. She stepped a little closer to Vincent when she girl in question leaned in now only half facing him but standing rather close He was her match, there was no competition. Unless he turned out to be a twat. Then she may go pick a fight with that awful man from earlier. She smiled and said "It seems like more people are after other people's matches than there are matches!" not really commenting at all, trying to be diplomatic.

Lowquta Lowquta A.I.S.H.A. A.I.S.H.A.

Last edited:
"I can see that," Vincent says with a chuckle, his eyes scanning the room and eventually stopping at the man in charge of the large distribution of rum. His nose was bloodied and Vincent finds himself wondering if he had been in the fight his betrothed had mentioned earlier. As he ponders his hand carefully comes back to rest at her shoulder when she steps closer towards him. He wasn't big on the idea of marriage, this whole ordeal had been his father's idea but that didn't mean that he was going to be a bad man towards Elodie. As far as he knew, she might be as unhappy with the concept of being married off to a stranger. It wasn't an uncommon thing and most nobles did marry other nobles for political or other business-like reasons.

"My father is mostly in charge of patients. I work at the desk, helping minor patients, prescribing medicine and whatnot. I also do some home visits but in my free time I enjoy going out, riding albeit I'm not very good at it...fall off mostly" He continues speaking, his glance back at her for the moment. "My family? They try their best but I can assume by the way you speak of your mother that the distaste of a parent is something we share. We make quite the match." He says.

"Do you want to walk with me as I see to this young gentleman's nose? As much as he might enjoy the look as well as drowning the pain in expensive rum, I believe I have a civil duty of at least offering him my assistance." He asks her as he lets his eyes fall back on the man offering the drinks. "Besides, I could definitely snag myself a bottle of rum for later, who knows what kind of people we're going to be spending these weeks with. I'll even share with you if you need it" He encourages her.
StarxLight StarxLight A.I.S.H.A. A.I.S.H.A.

Matthias smiled as Lucas spoke, he found the man very entertaining, but when Lucas spoke about sipping on champagne if they couldn't find tea he got nervous. Matthias wasn't going to look dumb and say no to his betrothed. He just kept on the smile and nodded. "Ah.. Yes indeed! It is not as good as tea, but the taste is good."

He then felt his heart jump as he was pulled along into the building toward the noise. He wasn't scared, just concerned as to what it would be.

Matthias felt a whole lot better when Lucas explained what he thought was going on,but his eyes widened as the rum was presented to him. He hadn't drank any liquor in his life. He was indeed just eighteen, and his mothers told him he would be a lightweight. All Abbott's handled their liquor poorly.

He just smiled as he looked at Lucas with slight panic in his eyes. He didn't know anything about his drinks, and wasn't sure if this was strong. If he got drunk it would sure be an embarrassing story in the morning.

Although, he wanted to look good in front of Lucas so he tilted his head back, and downed the rum after clicking his glass with Lucas.

It was disgusting. How could one enjoy such a thing? Matthias cringed on the inside, but his Abbott smile shone through.

"Hah, rum is really not tasty if I'm honest, but it's a good distraction. I forgot we are literally soaking wet in the ballroom."

Matthias starts to laugh as he looked at Lucas, and himself. His eyes squinted, and his pearly whites showing. What a funny sight the two were.

MToki MToki

Users who are viewing this thread

Back