Advice/Help Halp! How to make my character more active?

Amaltheia

Hey guys. I have a halfling ranger, and I'm trying to make her more useful than a flowerpot (story-wise). I'm very new to RP...

My backstory (summed up):

I was born at a halfling village up the mountains. We were slaves to a gang of bandits, who served the local dragon. My father had died while trying to escape the village. When seven, I ran away by sheer luck, leaving my mother behind. Two half-orcs hid me, adopted me as a sister and taught me hunting. One day, while hunting, I happened upon a mysterious cave system. There I gained two things: a baby mimic pet. And knowledge: through a hole, I saw into the dragon’s treasure cave, and the dragon was long dead, the bandit lord using magic to make everyone think he’s alive.
Few years later, I saw my mother from afar, made to serve in the bandit’s mansion. On impulse, I sneaked in. I had my mimic turn into the leader’s chair and swallow him whole. His subordinates chased me into the dragon’s cave, where I hid and let them kill each other for the treasure. The ones left standing were chased away by the very angry villagers. The village was free… but was it? Word that the dragon’s treasusre was unguarded spread like fire, and an army of greedos crashed our celebratory feast. There were also vengeful buddies of the thieves, and a huge dragoness who thought me for a dragon slayer. I ran, as some necromancer reanimated the dragon and had it fight the dragoness, our village in flames. I had saved no one, plus many people (and dragons!) now wanted me dead. I had to go as far as possible, so far that I wouldn't be a death magnet. My only remaining company was the mimic. I settled at an icy land, working as a hunter, living in the forest.

My party comes in:

I was employed as a guide by some adventurers looking for a necromantic McGuffin (a crystal). They’re a kind dwarf paladin, a valiant human berserker, a smart elf with a fire-breathing owl, and a pretty elf lady mage. I was to help them search, as I knew the place well.
At this point, I’ve finished guiding them around the area. We've traveled far. But I’m still in the party, mainly because they haven’t kicked me out after my job was done. I don’t really have a goal of my own, apart from seeing the world and finding friendship. And I don’t know what to do when we aren’t running in a forest. Halp?

So is this a roleplay or a story your writing on your own?

Sorry just saw the character is in a roleplay. So one thing I noticed is that all of this background is very much focused only on your specific character and not what the other players are doing or what the over-arching purpose of the roleplay is. So maybe look into what the other players are doing and think of a way for your character to get involved in that? Or if the whole group is struggling to find ways to keep the story going maybe suggest some kind of exploration of the world if that is what your interested in.

For that matter your character doesn't have to be relevant to the story to be relevant to the roleplay. If you want them working on friendships they can go along with the action purely because they enjoy hanging out with the other player characters or they want to see more of the world.

So don't panic if you feel like your just taggling along with the plot. It's fine as long as your actually interacting with what's going on.

Last edited:
Well, one of your goals is to find friendship. I think a very simple way is to capitalize on that: Just have your character act with curiosity, ask questions to the others, offer help all the time, be generally meddlesome but friendly. Overly friendly. That will make you more active, and if it goes well, others will reciprocrate your character's behavior and be more proactive in approaching your character as well. If it backfires on your character, then you can explore the impact it has on your character. Do they keep going? Do they start acting reserved and afraid of stepping on people's toes? Do they grow resentful of the perceived ungratefulness?

Another way, not in the slightest mutually exclusive with the first by the way, is to explore your character having a hobby. I mean they are a person, there's gotta be stuff they are interested in besides what's directly pertinent to the overall character or plot.

You can lean into the fact that you've more or less been hidden from society to explore towns and cities when you go there. Play more into your curiosity and explore the towns. If your GM is the type to trigger random events because of players doing certain things, this would help a lot. Otherwise, you can try to do stuff like learning local skills, basically being a country bumpkin. Try to learn from your party members, go run through the markets. Stuff like that.

I don't think the plot of the RP matters too much. That should naturally create situations where you can get involved and contribute. And of course your backstory is going to center on your character. That's common sense, so don't worry about that.

What you're after is related directly to your character, and I think I can help you out here.

You've got to play into the strengths of your character in order to make them active and useful, no matter who you're playing, and in what RP.

As a hunter, you're going to be the main provider of food, and be invaluable around camp life as a girl who is comfortable around, and lived in the forest. Any time you're out in the wild, your character should shine.

• You should logically have vast knowledge of flora and fauna, knowing what to eat, what not to eat. Knowing the creatures of the world as well as the lay of the land.
  • As a hunter you should be an adept tracker and keen observationalist when in the wild.
  • You mentioned that you've traveled far to escape the drama of your past. This means you've been across many different lands, experiencing many different cultures of the world. Lean into that and make it your own. Not to suggest you be the know-it-all, but worldly experience is somewhat transferable, even in newer lands.
  • Your backstory shows a penchant for cleverness and stealth. You were able to infiltrate the bandit mansion and devise a plan to take out the leader.
  • As an archer, you have an invaluable skill that's often downplayed in RP. You are able to assist the group in battle, even act as a sniper for support in certain situations. You should also have very good, clear vision at a distant, with good depth perception.
  • Growing up around bandits and thieves, you probably have knowledge of group battle tactics, and even slight of hand.
  • Don't forget about your mimic pet. This could be the most valuable tool in your kit in the right situation.

Make the most of what you've given your character, because anyone can be active and useful if you write them as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back