• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Hailsham Academy

tamarapasek

jacobolsen
Hailsham, NYC

1,729 likes
jacobolsen
Welcome students of Hailsham, it's move-in day! Unpack, get acquainted with your roommates, and enjoy the year.
View all 38 comments
eallengood let's go y'all
August 31
code by low fidelity.

TL;DR Avril waits at the bar and worries about her dog
tl;dr
Avril Slater
Tell them all my secrets but disguise them, so they dance on the tongue of the very people that they're secrets from

Avril crossed the road as she yammered on the phone, preoccupied with explaining to her neighbor how precisely Josie the French bulldog ought to be taken care of. She normally left her with a relative or friend but due to packed schedules she could only leave him with Mrs Thackery, though she wasn’t convinced her neighbor had listened to her instructions. "Make sure to guard every single thing you have. She’s been a bit of a jumper lately so keep your valuables high up if you don’t want her to try and eat them." She firmly instructed, getting a string of “yeah yeahs” and “I knows”. Hanging up the phone, she sighed. Josie was a handful and she wasn’t prepared for Mrs Thackery’s temper if the dog ended up chewing something her neighbor cared about. She’d have to bake a shit ton of oatmeal cookies to make up for it.

With the bar in sight, she speed walked over, noting that nobody had appeared yet. Well this was awkward. There was nothing worse than being the sad sack who was the first at the party. “Where are they?" Ava mumbled to herself, settling on an empty seat by the bar "Mozerella sticks please,” She requested, waving the guy at the counter over, to which

"I wonder how Josie’s doing," Ava commented to herself. "Hopefully Mrs Thackery’s feeding her before she gets hungry.” She winced, recalling the time her dog had gotten a case for the noms and chewed up a set of measuring cups. "She’s gonna kill us all if the dog misbehaves.”

"Gabe!" Ava squealed, noticing a brunette figure with disheveled hair. Thank goodness he was first. She’d never be brazen enough to admit it but alone time with her potential paramour was all she wanted.

"Shit, very much not Gabe" Ava groaned, the man turning around to reveal a burly figure with a beard far too long than she suspected Gabe was capable of growing. Her and her soon to be coworker would have to wait before getting some alone time it seemed. It was fine though. They at the very least had 9 months together to get to know one another. That was as long as it took to grow a baby after all. And hopefully they’d grow a baby too. A love baby. Or baby of romance. Or……….perhaps using a baby as a metaphor for a relationship wasn’t the best idea.

She glanced up from the bar once more, squinting as she started searching the bar for other coworkers. She wasn’t certain who would be coming but since there was an open invitation in the group chat she was certain a fair few would be there. It would be the perfect opportunity to get to know them all! For better or worse they’d be stuck together for the school year so it would be best to all get along
code by valen t.

John Matron​

It was yet another cold day in Manhattan. John, in his Brown and Tan fur coat, was talking to one of his Fratelli; One of his mafia "brothers" from the Metrano family. It had been over three decades now since he was forced out of his home in New Jersey. Three decades since he found his way into New York, and 10 years since he was finally allowed by the godfather to cover his illegal dealings with a more legitimate education career. Paid into NYU with mafia money, given a mafia-funded apartment, and given mafia recommendations on schools with minimal background checks, Matron had finally found a place in Manhattan that wasn't a hideout or some homeless shelter. He had finally made it.

"Si, Lucio. I will have the crystals at the dealer by next week. It's just that the local supplier's RV blew up and It's going to take me a while to find another cook." John said in Italian. He knew if he spoke out loud in plain English in such a public setting, someone might get suspicious of him. This was a busy part of town, after all, he wouldn't be surprised if there was an NYPD cruiser down the street, or god forbid a plainclothes officer walking next to him. "That's good to hear, Johnny Boy. Just don't get cuffed and we can pull this off cleanly under the radar." Lucio replied on the other end. Matron nodded and approached the bar where the staff meeting was at. "I gotta go, Ciao Ciao." He hanged up.

Entering the bar, he looked around and saw two brunettes; a mixed woman and a disheveled man sitting together and talking. Hanging up his coat on the rack, revealing the white shirt and brown pants underneath; John approached two of what he hoped were his staff members. "Is this the Hailsham Academy staff meeting? John Matron, nice to meet you." He then looked over towards the barkeep. "One Grape Wine, grazie."

Last edited:

"Dr. Mi-Sun Young..." The woman said into the mirror, staring at her reflection. She had been feeling pretty shitty for the last week or two. Mostly just from the stress of making sure Hailsham Academy School Board had all the forms and files they needed from the students distributed. It didn't help that there were a lot of new students and many were changing classes and what not. A lot of that work fell on her, as a lesion between the school system and the students directly. The effort was worth it however and in a month or two everything would eventually settle down and she'd be able to relax her office. Wait for students to roll in, check their grades from time to time, and put effort towards making sure they were just alright.

Mi-Sun signed and splashed water into her face. Thinking about work right now was the opposite of what she should be thinking about. "Remember... I love you.." she whispered to her her reflection peering into her own eyes with a hidden conviction and an unknown promise.

The small woman giggled and wiped her face before taking out a makeup kit.

__ __ __ __

Mi-Sun walked down the street confidently, making her way towards the nearby bar. Checking the time on her phone, it was s just about time for happy hour. She smiled and continued on her way. At one corner there was a rather shady looking young man, his eyes were glued on the pretty woman heading towards him. The boy was shaking slightly, holding his fist tight, waiting for the right moment. When she stepped up to him he nearly jumped but was only met with a soft pat on his hooded head and took his hand putting something in it... Some lollipops and a slip of paper. "With this you'll be able to get your sisters medicine and if you need anything else, you know how to reach me." She sighed and gave the kid a hug. "Make sure you take care of yourself too. I'll be by the shelter in a few days with some food, but I'm a little busy at the moment. Take care Henry." She finished, turning on her heel and vanishing into a crowd of people. The young man stood there, staring at the paper and candy in his hand, struggling not to cry. "Thank you." He whispered to the woman long gone.

__ __ __ __

Mi-Sun stepped into the bar, taking in a deep breath, marching over to her Co-Workers and taking a seat next to Avril, gentling giving the woman a small embrace. "I'll take apple soju please." She shot at the female bartender who nodded with a kind smile, quickly pulling out a fresh bottle. Pouring half of it into an glass of ice and sliding it, the rest of the bottle, and a shot glass over to Mi-Sun, just as she liked it. "Thanks Merriam." The small girl gave a slight bow of her head, and forwarded a tip across the counter before turning back to Avril. "What's your poison of choice hm? I'll be honest, I usually just have soju because well... Never mind." a blush forming on her face before she'd even taken a sip. The girl was incredibly lightweight, she'd find herself drunk as hell without much difficulty.

Mi-Sun

• filler tab!

♡coded by uxie♡

george b.

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

saint motel

benny goodman

Well, that's the last of it. George stepped back as he dropped the last bin of his stuff on the floor, dropping his backpack beside it. His parents, who had long since left him and his stuff outside the building to move in his sister, were long gone, and he breathed a sigh of relief upon remembering that fact. While it did mean he'd be unpacking his whole room by himself, he much preferred that over having his mother and his father hover over him. After all, Leah got to reap the perks of being the precious firstborn, let her take the burden of it as well. This was his space (and his roommate, whoever that was) and he didn't really want them in here with him.

Unpacking wouldn't be all that hard, anyways. Most of what he'd brought had come straight from his summer storage unit, and he'd packed up his old dorm section by section; it would be easy to just shove everything back where it went. The sooner the better, anyways, because as glad as he was to be away from his parents for the next nine months, the empty walls and unmade beds felt unnatural. There was something eerie about an empty dorm.

The clothes got stashed away first, filling his dresser and his closet. Next was the bed, which involved a little bit of wrestling with his fitted sheet, but he managed to get it on without too much of a fight. Once that was set, he meant to get started on his desk, but he got distracted by his phone. What was supposed to be replying to a simple text from his little sister resulted in him reclined on his freshly made bed, scrolling through his social media feeds and listening to music, while the rest of his boxes sat unpacked on the floor. Whatever, he reasoned. He would be here for the two semesters, his whole room didn't need to be done within a few hours. Besides, his roommate hadn't even arrived yet; there would be plenty of time to finish getting his things put up in the next day or two.

Where was his roommate, anyways?

♡coded by uxie♡

MOOD: Jittery

basics
MENTIONS:

INT:
George evermoon evermoon

tags
TL;DR
Terrance meets his roommate.
tl;dr
Terrance Robinson
I will go most anywhere to find where I belong.

"Are you sure you've got it?" Terrance's stepfather watched with a skeptical eye as his stepson dragged an overfilled suitcase up the dormitory stairs. The suitcase had to weigh more than Terrance did; the boy wasn't even five feet tall and had all the strength of a beanpole. Nevertheless, Terrance insisted on independence. That much could be counted on.

When they got to the landing of the stairs, though, the new freshman looked dead on his feet from exhaustion after pulling the thing all that distance. "We made it!!!" He panted, with a weak thumbs-up. His stepfather returned the gesture, thinking to himself that this ridiculous level of energy was probably the only thing the boy shared with his late mother.

"One last thing before you leave," After he had caught his breath, Terrance took a step back and struck a pose. "How do I look?"

His stepfather paused, held back a laugh, and simply replied, "You look fine."
Terrance beamed, eyes sparkling with excitement. He'd never been in a real uniform before. The whole time he'd been a student, he'd only ever been enrolled in large, underfunded city public schools.
"Thanks! I'm late now. You can go. See you next year!"
"..I'll see you for December break, Terrance. It won't be that long."
"Right!"

With a final goodbye, Terrance's stepfather left and he was alone.
"So now I just gotta open the door..."
Terrance had been given a key to his dorm room. He was never really good at using keys (his fingers could never really hold a small object with enough grip strength), but luckily the door to his dorm was left cracked open, so he just gently pushed it open and stepped inside. And sure enough, someone was already there.

The pint-sized student waved energetically, dropping his suitcase to the floor just inside the entrance and running right up. "Hey!" He stopped a little too close, almost shaking with nervous anticipation. "So uh, hey. hi, new roommate..." Terrance fumbled through the pockets of his slacks until he found a crumpled sheet of paper, "Brooks George. Wait, no... George Brooks. The comma thing means... right, uh, the last name first and then, but... can I just call you George? We're not that kinda school, right?" Suddenly realizing he needed to give his new roommate a chance to actually answer the questions, he clamped a hand over his mouth and quickly gestured for him to go ahead and start answering. But then, not even a second later, he changed his mind. "Oh, wait! I'm Terrance. Sorry. You can go now." The notion that he might be annoying his new roommate was not lost on Terrance. He wasn't trying to, but he found he had way too much to say and not enough time to politely say it all.

code by valen t.

george b.

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

saint motel

benny goodman

George glanced up as the door to the room opened, dropping his phone into his lap and sitting up straight. He watched as a boy- his roommate?- stepped into the room, dragging a suitcase beside him that he immediately dropped by the door. To be honest, although George had gotten his roommate assignment the same as everybody else, he hadn't looked at it since the day they sent them out, so he couldn't remember the other boy's name for the life of him. Something with an H? A T, maybe?

Lucky for him, he didn't have to worry about it, since his new roommate began talking only seconds after entering the room, saving George from having to scramble for a name. He was a little taken aback by just how close the other boy came to him, but it didn't really bother him. Up close, however, he noticed just how short the other kid was. He couldn't be more than five feet tall, max, and that was George being generous. Even his short-stack sisters would have had multiple inches on this kid.

George sat politely through the other student's introduction, not wanting to interupt, but his lips did quirk up at the corners at his new roommate's enthusiasm. It was a little refreshing, especially after having to spend the entire summer in his dreary home, with his equally dreary parents and older sister. He got the sense that, while Terrance might be a little more energetic than he expected, he wouldn't be boring to live with, and for George, that was what really mattered.

After the other boy finished, George spoke.
"You can just call me George,"
he replied.
"And no, it's not that kind of school. There's a couple guys who call each other by their last name, but that's just kind of a dude thing. As long as you don't call me Georgie, we're all good in my book. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this is your first year at Hailsham?"

♡coded by uxie♡

MOOD: Jittery

basics
MENTIONS:

INT:
George evermoon evermoon

tags
TL;DR
Terrance meets his roommate.
tl;dr
Terrance Robinson
I will go most anywhere to find where I belong.

"Not Georgie. That's easy enough." Terrance nodded, lacing his fingers, but then suddenly he got an awful idea for a terrible joke. A Cheshire Cat grin spread over his face, casting an ominous look ahead at whatever immature jest would follow.
"Wait, that's it? That's the only thing? As long as it's not Georgie, I can call you..."
"Geo?"
"George Washington?"
"Curious George?"
"Georgia Peach?"
"Georgina?"
"Bagel?"

Terrance continued prattling off nonsense names for a couple more seconds before cutting himself off with a short laugh. "Just kidding. I'm just gonna call you George. It's easy. Also, I like Terrance. You can call me other things and I probably won't be mad, though."

Much like his height, Terrance's sense of humor hadn't grown up much in the 14 years he'd been on this earth.

"So like... how come you decided to go to fancy school?" Terrance wasted no time rerouting the subject, wanting desperately to keep the conversation going. "I'm a music scholar. That's basically a really cool-sounding way to say I'm paying my tuition by doing chamber choir or acapella or whatever other singy things they have on campus. I'm not really much of a scholar." He shrugged lightly, tilting his head to the left and sinking down onto the bed he'd been leaning against. He hadn't asked whether George wanted the right side of the room or the left... he hoped George wanted right, because now that he was on the left side, he didn't really want to trade. That would be weird, wouldn't it? Maybe not, but Terrance thought so.

It occurred to him that he hadn't started unpacking his suitcase yet, which was still abandoned over by the door. He tried not to look at it; the thought of having to put all of that stuff away was too daunting for having just gotten here. He wanted to settle down and meet people, not figure out how he wanted to organize his life for the next semester. This was supposed to be his chance to get away from the life he'd been living before, not go straight back to something familiar and agonizing like cleaning up a room.
It would happen eventually. Just not now. Now, he had more interesting things to attend to, like badgering his roommate with more and more questions.

"Do you think this school does musicals? Like full-length musicals like high schools in movies do? Like High School Musical? That would be so cool. Don't you think?"

code by valen t.

MOOD: Excited

OUTFIT: jeans + sci-fi movie reference t-shirt

basics
MENTIONS:

INT:

Avril tamarapasek tamarapasek

Mi-Sun TerrorKitty TerrorKitty

John holyman1998 holyman1998

tags
TL;DR: Gabe finally makes it to the bar
tl;dr
Gabriel Darling
Won't you show me everything you've learned?
I'll memorize everything you do to me
So I can teach it when it comes my turn
Fuck, he was late. Well, not really for the school staff meet-up, but his new favorite coworker had mentioned she'd already arrived, and he hated the thought of keeping her waiting. Gabriel walked briskly down the sidewalk toward the bar they were supposed to meet at, gradually quickening his pace until he broke into in a light jog. Pondering the new school year ahead of him. With all the new students and teachers this year, this might not be just another boring year at Hailsham. Especially with the arrival of Miss Avril Slater, the pretty home ec teacher, bestower of peanut butter cookies, Gabe's new favorite coworker--not to mention his official, not-so-secret crush.

When he finally burst though the tavern door, Gabriel quickly scanned the crowd, running a hand through his perpetually tousled, golden brown hair. It didn't take long for him to spot a woman in a white top standing at the bar, immediately recognizing Avril's mane of bouncy, jet black ringlets. The ambience was loud enough that Ava hadn't noticed him creep up behind her, and Gabe stood smirking, weighing his options for the best way to get her attention. Since he had prior authorization for a hug, Gabe couldn't resist grabbing her gently by the hips and pulling her back toward him to slip his arms around her waist.

"Miss Avril Slater," Gabe grinned as the girl in his arms spun around to face him. His demeanor relaxed and confident, never betraying how nervous he was actually feeling--nor the relief that this was in fact Avril, and he hadn't just grabbed some random girl who was now about to slap him. Her cute little round face in such close proximity to his gave him the strongest urge to kiss her cheek or forehead, though he suppressed the impulse to instead let Ava do the kissing, as arranged. "You look nice," Gabe remarked as Ava finally disentangled herself from him. He took a slight step back to covertly look her over, his green eyes briefly skimming the view of her legs showcased by a black miniskirt.

Gabe followed suit as Avril took a seat at the bar, glancing around for any of the other Hailsham staff. "Where's everyone else? Was I the only one who didn't stand up the new girl?" He joked, giving Ava a playful poke in her side. Truthfully, he wouldn't have minded one bit if that was the case, as much as he was looking forward to an evening hanging with his new and old coworkers. "I'm gonna borrow one of these guys," He remarked before snatching one of her mozzarella sticks and gobbling it down, giving the nearby bartender a wave to get his attention. "So, what are we drinking, new girl?"

A couple of new arrivals soon caught his attention however, offering a friendly hello to first the guidance counselor, Mi-Sun, who perched at the bar beside Avril and ordered herself a Soju. "Is that good?" Gabe nodded at the drink in the counselor's hand and curiously watched her take a sip, as it wasn't something he'd ever tried or even thought to order.

Moments later was the arrival of a dark-haired fellow a bit older than himself, and Gabe recognized him as the history teacher who may or may not have ties to organized crime. Gabe, highly amused by the thought of having a mafioso coworker, broke into a delighted grin at the man's arrival. "Oh, hey! Same here, welcome to wonderful Hailsham," Gabe added sarcastically with a playful eyeroll. "History teacher, right? I'm Gabe, the chemistry teacher."
code by valen t.

leah brooks

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

marina

are you satisfied?

Leah watched as the door to her new dorm swung shut behind her mother. When it all but slammed into place, she let out a sigh of relief, slumping against the closet. Her side of the room was half set up around her, various things done by her parents and her sister until she'd managed to convince them to leave. No matter how much faster it would have gotten done with their help, she'd rather do it alone, especially if there was a chance of her roommate showing up before they'd finished.

Leah never cared much about her roommate, as long as they kept their shit together and didn't bother her. Still, the last thing she needed was her parents getting all up in her new roomie's face, interogating them about their parents and where they were from and their study habits. People already talked about the things Georgie had let slip about their parents, the last thing Leah wanted was more reason for people to shoot her looks out of the corner of their eyes.

Not that she cared, anyways.

While she'd urged her family out as quick as she could, they still managed to finish a lot before they left. Her clothes were all put away, the bed was already made, and the bed had already been put on risers. The last thing was something her mother insisted on to make more space in the room, despite how much she knew it bothered Leah. At 5'3", there was no real dignified way to jump up on a bed that came up to just below your chest, and it wasn't any smoother to climb up using her desk chair. Still, it was too much of a pain in the ass to get them off by herself knowing she would have to put them back on in a hurry knowing her mother might show up for a last minute visit.

Leah took a few moments to simply relax, taking in the space that would be hers for the next nine months while she still had the chance to do it alone. Once she'd had those few moments to herself, she set about unpacking the various things she had left to do. School supplies got put away in drawers, books got stacked on shelves. The more she worked, the more it started to become her space, rather than a half-empty room. She wasn't much for decor, but it was comforting to see her copy of Brave New World on the desk, or her favorite boots tucked under the bed.

By herself, it only took about half an hour, tops, to get everything in place. Once she had, she settled into her desk chair, grabbing a book from the shelves she'd just set up and thumbed through it. Her phone had dinged a few times, but she made a point to ignore it, knowing it was likely just her mother,

♡coded by uxie♡

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness"

Overthinking

The bar

Mi-sun ( TerrorKitty TerrorKitty )
Avril ( tamarapasek tamarapasek )
John ( holyman1998 holyman1998 )
Gabe ( Qwertycakes Qwertycakes )

Venus Baird

Dr. Baird
Biology/Psychology

• h

(click play twice!)

Venus Baird is a very rational person. It's hard not to be, at least when you know what she knows, or when you've seen what she's seen. And so, she knows there's no reason to fear meeting her new co-workers, even though her chest holds a little tight, and her brain has a run a little fast as she scripts and plans conversations in her head, she knows there's no real reason to fear meeting them, because it matters little if they like her as a person, a professional relationship always came first, and she easily held her job above everything else. Nevertheless, she felt herself adjusting the red silk dress around her as her tall black leather heels clicked along the sidewalk. When was the last time she wore a dress? She had, hesitantly, left her job at the club back home before mid-summer, and she rarely went on dates these days, nor had many friends to go out with, especially with her brother states away, so what reason had she to wear the soft red fabric with the jingling chain belt, besides tonight?
The bar wasn't much different from the bars she'd been before, and she'd already been there multiple times before since her move to the city, even had traded tips and secrets with the fellow bartenders. People stood or sat in crowds, and as the brunette scanned their faces, she could read so many thoughts, regrets, hope, alcohol let the facade most kept crumble, she could read them like a book, and though psychoanalyzing strangers was a habit she tried not to keep too often, she'd figured out in college it wasn't always seen as very nice, and that prolonged starring was often interpreted in ways less than desirable, she couldn't help it, especially drunk people. They were so easy to read, intoxication loosening their muscles and making all the bars populations words mix to a slow slur. The pale scot quickly recognized the small collection of people already seated at the bar, a familiar mix of people, and she felt some comfort knowing she wasn't the first, as she often, awkwardly, was. She took an easy, quiet seat beside one of the dark-haired girls, brushing her brown and blonde hair from her face before making eye contact with the familiar girl across the counter.
"Whiskey?" The girl with the charismatic smile asked, you needed at least a facade of charm to do this job, Venus knew that, though she could easily see the tired behind her eyes.
"As always," She responded easily, attempting to hold her accent back with practiced ease to reflect the voice of the other.
"Label?"
"Something aged and strong, surprise me."
With a nod, she picked from the shelf and poured, the crackle of the strong liquid as it hit the ice and glass music to her ears, a sound that unwound her muscles by itself. She caught the glass easily as it slid across the smooth counter, the bottle left out, right by it.
"Thank you, lass." The quiet girl hummed just before she tossed her head back with the glass, letting about half the cup hit her mouth with a pleasant burn before she finally turned her attention to the reason she was there, at least this time, careful thought being put into not interrupting or starring too hard.

♡design by rabbitswarren, coded by uxie♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back