• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Arcadia: Heroes World Brave

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
“I’m really more of a bookbuyer,” Lynne began, fussing with the sleeves of her jacket. “That’s my job, I travel around, serving as an intermediary for my clients by meeting with people who have rare or valuable books to verify the legitimacy of their offers and arrange the transactions on behalf of both parties. Hiring middlemen like me allows them a degree of discretion that they might not have by dealing directly. It’s what brought me to Melbourne. I had a client who has a book he’s looking to buy, and I was supposed to meet with someone who’s looking to sell. Pretty standard stuff, eccentric millionaire looking to add to his collection and some corporate upper manager trying to make a buck off something he get his hands on, nothing to really write home about, you know?”

Lin placed the card face down on the table, folding his hands and shifting in his seat ever so slightly enough that he was inexplicably able to look further down his nose at her than he already was. “I’m waiting for the point, Miss Aster. Or have you mistaken me for your bookseller?”

“I need to get into Alpheum.” Lin’s eyebrow quirked imperceptibly. “I had a meeting there,” Lynne explained, her gray eyes meeting his red ones without flinching. “Yesterday afternoon, with a suit there named Arthur Dandy. He was my seller, I’d already spoken to him before, and that was when we would make the transaction. But when I got there, they wouldn’t let me in. Told me he was killed in the terrorist attack.”

"Then he was killed! Why're you tryna sell to a dead man, hm?"

One of the sons, with the monkey-like appearance, interjected. His mischievous smile showed no remorse for the presumed deceased Dandy. Lin shot his son an impatient look and continued, "Yes, well, getting anyone into Alpheum is rather troublesome at the moment. Even I, the great Phoenix Lin, cannot guarantee anyone an appointment, most especially a simple bookbuyer."

There was a pause. The air around the table had shifted. They were hiding something.

Lin tapped long, delicate fingers on his glass of red wine before bringing it up to his lips and sipping. A droplet of blood red rolled down the edges of the glass as he placed it back atop the table, "There is one way to get you into Alpheum, but I must ask, Miss Aster, what is the price you are willing to pay to get there? Is selling a book truly that important?"

”Buy from- I was buying… from a dead man,” Lynne corrected, eyes darting to the monkey in the exact same instant as Lin’s.

Lynne didn’t miss the shift in the air, but made no comment on it; people like this were guaranteed to be hiding a whole bunch of things, and accepting it was one of the compromises one had to be willing to make if one thought to gain their assistance. Besides, Lynne didn’t have any doubt in her mind that if what they were hiding was relevant to the situation at hand, it would come to light before this was over.

“Ten percent,” Lynne answered without hesitation, locking eyes with Phoenix Lin once more. “In exchange for your services, I’m offering a price for ten percent of my commission from this book deal.”

Lin scoffed at that, tossing the business card back onto the table. “Well, Miss Aster, I must say it has been a pleasure making your acquaintance, but I’m afraid-” Lynne snatched the card off the table, pulling a pen from her coat pocket with a flourish and scribbling something onto the card before passing it back Lin’s way. His sentence cut off in an instant.

“What’s this?” he asked aloud, lifting the card gingerly from the table, eyes going wide as they fixed on Lynne’s scratchy penmanship.

“Ten percent.”

The old man barked a laugh. Then, with one swift movement, flicked the card back onto the table before Lynne.

"No."

"Here is your order!" The waitress smiled, placing a nice array of plates upon the table. Her eyes shifted to a woman leaving the hidden table somewhat dejected, "Ah, it would seem your Hot Pot is almost ready as well."

"I'm aware," Lin responded to Lynne, "But it is not money that I deal in, not anymore. I can see that you, dear, have too many years ahead of you and therefore cannot afford the price of our contract."

"We'll still take the money, if you're offering it for free!" The rabbit woman mused as she peaked at the amount of money the bookseller was offering.

Before Lynne could interject, the old man raised a hand to silence her, "Times are changing, Miss Aster. Neither myself nor Alpheum have the luxury to deal in mere coin anymore."

The monkey man grinned, "In other words, get lost!"

Lynne looked between Lin and his gaggle of bastards, chewing her tongue in thought. What exactly did they use as payment now? Organ harvesting? Favors seemed more likely. Or information. It made sense, then, that an old man like Lin would be so quick to dismiss her value on its face. Lynne considered pressing the matter, but it likely wouldn’t go anywhere. She knew enough to understand when it was better to fall back and regroup.

“I apologize for wasting your time, then,” she said politely, making no attempt to retrieve the card on the table. “That being said, if you change your mind, or develop an interest in filling out your library, feel free to give me a call Mr. Lin.” She then tilted her head in a modest bow, returning her pen to her coat pocket before spinning on the ball of her foot to begin pathfinding back toward the entrance of the restaurant.

"Much appreciated," Henry stated gratefully as the plates of food arrived. "Just let us know when the, er, hot pot's ready to go," Henry stated, his eyes following the waitress' for a moment to a disappointed-looking bespectacled lady seemingly leaving...a table? He couldn't quite see from where he was sitting.

Sir Brandon rubbed his hands together. "Hot pot, hot pot, hot pot," he hummed happily.

"Sandy", as he had been named, watched Lynne leave the table, his expression having yet to change from the unhappy scowl he'd worn upon first sighting the mousy woman. "What a waste of time," the man muttered, returning to his feet and his spot in front of the table.

Last edited:
"I wouldn't say a complete waste," the rabbit woman said with a small smile, grabbing the card. "It was pretty amusing to see her trying to convince us."

~*~

Akiko abruptly stood up from the table, tearing her eyes away from the pretty waitress.

"Gotta wash my hands," she announced, walking backwards as she threw finger guns at Henry and Sasha. "Get ready for that hot pot. For that hotty hot ho-"

She abruptly cut off as she nearly collided with the mousey woman who had been on her way out. Akiko briefly looked her over before smiling brightly, rubbing the back of her head.

"Whoops! Sorry about that!" she exclaimed. "Too excited for the hot pot to pay attention."

Putting a hand to his chin, Henry nodded in approval. Akiko's normally goofy demeanor often belied...some sort of prowess as a detective, he had to admit. Clearly, just as he did, she had noticed the woman emerging from the spot that the waitress was eying when she had mentioned the "hot pot." Accidentally bumping into her would serve as a means to gain information while feigning clumsiness and buffoonery.

...Yes, that had to be it.

"Well, I thought she made a pretty good case," Ken noted, the large-framed blue superhuman shrugged, patting his stomach as he reached for a pork bun and began to eat it, a thoughtful look upon his face.

Last edited:
"Oh no, you're fine, you're fine!" Lynne assured the tiny woman. She offered a bright smile of her own, rubbing the back of her head. "I was lost in my own thoughts as well!"

"Hard not to make a good case when she had some truth backing her," Muna mused as she went for another dumpling. She paused however and grinned at Sandy's back. "So resolute she was that not even our dear Sandy could scare her off. Imagine what she could have done had she actually met Arthur."

~*~

"Oh no, I insist! Have you ate yet? We actually just ordered the Phoenix Lin pot of hot and it's a lot for my dear papa so you're welcome to join us!" Akiko offered, completely ignoring the fact the other woman had been leaving a restaurant. She leaned in close, whispering, "Doctor says he shouldn't be capable of eating it but pfft, what do doctors know?"

Akiko patted at her breast pocket before fishing out a macaroon yellow card with dark green lettering and a badly drawn skull in the corner. It was her business card... with her real name and contact information from the Skull Agency. She held it out for the stranger to take if she wanted.

"But if not, the name's Aiko and I'm a pretty good detective who offers sincere apologies. Least I could do for nearly knocking you down."

Last edited:
Lynne was tempted to accept the offer. The psychological warfare of staying and eating in the restaurant after being turned away by its proprietor appealed to a certain part of her brain, and the woman in front of her seemed like a nice young-

Detective?? Lynne's eyes almost bulged at the sight of the business card placed into her hand. Akiko Bong, private detective. How… convenient. Was she investigating Alpheum? Had she heard the conversation between Lynne and Lin?

"I would love to join you," Lynne replied, the smile on her face returning after only a brief flicker. "It's been a while since I've had hot pot. Is the hot pot here supposed to be very good?"

"The same thing that happens to the rest of them," Sandy muttered bitterly under his breath, not turning around.

"Your tofu," the bored waitress said, slipping the plate onto the table in front of Henry and Sir Brandon.

"I'm so glad I still have my teeth, hmm?" Sir Brandon said, smiling happily as he began to eat.

Akiko's face lit up when the woman accepted her offer. Despite having been warned by the chief to stop handing out her card when she was on suspension, the ex-detective knew it just invoked some kind of receptiveness in people. It was an observation she was tempted to use on the waitress but that likely wouldn't happen... maybe.

"Not sure myself," Akiko responded as she gestured at the table where her "dad" and his "companion" were stuffing their faces with tofu. She pulled out an empty seat and motioned for the woman to sit. "Our first time trying it but I'm sure my dad won't be getting full on the appetizers now will he?"

She gave a stern look at Sasha.

"You know I have a large appetite, hmm?" Sir Brandon said, looking puzzled at the new young woman joining them. "I'm not drunk am I, hmm? I feel like I'm seeing double."

The two girls looked nothing alike.

"No, I'm actually here," Lynne assured, offering one hand while pulling out a business card with the other. "Your daughter invited me over. Nice to meet you."

"Oh, a business card, how wonderful!" Sir Brandon said, taking it and attempting to read the small letters before handing it to Henry. "What's your name, my dear?"

Akiko reached over and snatched the card from Henry, squinting at the lettering.

"Lynne Aster, huh? Oh! A bookseller," she read out loud before handing the card back to Henry. "And since these two are being rude, my dad over there is Sir Brandon and our friend here is Hardy. Dad's retired and Hardy here is his full time care taker. We actually came here to celebrate pop pop's birthday since he's not getting any younger and we heard this place has some excellent dishes for the older folk. Or, as some would say, the dying folk."

The smile didn't leave Akiko's face as she said that, her eyes on Lynne to gauge her reaction. Though any sort of shocked or offended reaction would have been expected despite the ease and familiarity in which his supposed daughter spoke of Sir Brandon.

"Yeah, that's what I've heard," Lynne agreed without missing a beat. Lynne took the seat Akiko offered, taking the card back from her. "Your daughter just introduced me, but I'm Lynne," she greeted, extending a hand to the old man across the table. "Sir Brandon, right? What were you knighted for?"

“We all know what needs to be done. Can we at least agree on that, if nothing else?”

Murmurs filled the large chamber as council members discussed the decision with their neighbors. Those that agreed with the chairman far outnumbered those that didn’t, and the arguments made by the decenters were quickly shot down, and their opinions changed to be in agreeance with the chairman.

“Then, it is now ordered that Klaus Zeit must pay for the crimes he has and will commit during his lifetime, and The Sanctity of the Court of Hours will finally be rid of this black mark!”

The crowd erupted into cheers as the order was given.

“For this mission, we shall send our greatest assassin, one who has studied Dr. Zeit extensively,” The chairman gestured to a hooded figure on his right. The figure nodded its head.

“Join me in wishing our agent tremendous success in their mission!” The cloaked assassin rose and bowed deeply as the Court of Hours cheered.

“You will hunt down Dr. Zeit in 2045, that is. The first instance of his meddling with the flow of time; from there, you can traverse the Time Tunnels, killing as many festering roaches as you wish until you land in the correct time stream to launch your attack.”

In a flash of Cobalt, the hooded figure vanished, leaving the chamber of the Court of Hours filled with the scent of ozone and cobalt-colored chronons.

Klaus and Liz walked in relative silence. Each smiled and nodded at the people they passed. Some seemed to recognize the Alchemist, and others were polite. They didn’t talk to one another. Klaus was still shocked Liz would tag along with him instead of going along with Henry, Akiko, and her old friend, but he was sure she had her reasons.

“I’ll be honest, I have some issues with what we are doing here,” Klaus began, “We run the risk of endangering an entire city. We have no real way of knowing how many agents they have at their disposal, and those loyal to their cause are a wild card Akiko isn’t considering.” He sighed, “Yes, they should be stopped if what Akiko says is true, but we shouldn’t recklessly run in and start a fight because what we do here will put The Brave on everyone’s radar, and we have members who’ve stepped back, that don’t deserve the heat we are about to get.”

He stopped outside the Melbourne Police Department 3rd Precinct, “Inside is the man that attacked the corporate headquarters. I’ve pulled a few strings and called in more than one favor to get an opportunity to speak with him. Sadly, you weren’t part of that plan. I can’t say they will let you inside with me, but we will see what exceptions can be made for a national hero like yourself.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back