• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Gypsy Winds (PC and Tarmagon)

"Well, what kind of protector would I be if I let one who has chosen to trust me die on her first full day under my care," Rillianthar said with a quiet chuckle. "Now, please sit. I must see to my morning needs, then I shall prepare you... oh dear. It is far, far later than I usually start my morning. Give me a few minutes to take care of the morning's chores, then I shall make you something more substantial that honeyed water or venison broth."

Pausing only to ensure that Serenity sat, rather than fell, Rillianthar availed himself of the bathing chamber, rushing through his morning routine. Returning to the main room of the cabin, he drew clothes from a press then dressed quickly in canvas pants and a linen tunic. Drawing on socks, he pulled on his boots then stood, stamping to settle them into place now that Serenity was awake. Nodding to her as he opened the door of the cabin, Rillianthar set about his belated chores. None of the animals seemed in a forgiving mood, though he purchased their acquiescence with an extra measure of grain, all the while wishing that all problems could be so easily solved. When he finally returned to the cabin, his hands were full of various vegetables from his garden, as well as a bottle of cold milk.

"You should try and drink this," he said, handing the small bottle of goat milk to Serenity. "I fear that it is goat milk, and tastes different from the cows milk that most are familiar with, but you need to replenish your body. While you assay that task, I will prepare something more substantial, though we must ease you back into eating solid foods."

Without waiting to see if serenity managed to drink the milk, Rillianthar set his selection of vegetables down on the table and set to work. A few minutes chopping, cracking eggs, and stirring saw a pair of omelets sizzling away over a small fire. Once he was certain that they were cooked through, he pulled the pan from the fire and transferred the results of his labors to a pair of hand carved plates. Handing Serenity the smaller of the two along with a fork her had bartered for from a local craftsman, Rillianthar settled into his chair, watching Serenity as he ate his own meal.

"Besides weak," he said after a few bites, "How do you feel? Your back is healing nicely, and much faster than I expected it to, though that is in large part due to my not applying the numbing salve, since the drought to treat your fever and infection effectively kept you insensate while you fought off the illness."

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (He's so tired he overslept, and is playing catchup.)

Serenity did as told and sat back down on the bed. She was feeling a bit dizzy, but that was probably because of the lack of food for three days. Had it really been three days since he had saved her. She lay down on her side, forcing her eyes to stay open as she waited for Rill to finish the morning chores and fix her some food. Soon after he left though the fight to stay awake, failed and she fell back to sleep.

When he returned, Serenity awoke, startled by the sound of his voice. She sat up and accepted the bottle from him. She held it to her nose and sniffed then poured a little into her mouth. The sweetness pleased her and she downed the bottle with a smile.

When he brought her a plate of food, she accepted it but looked up at him with a strange look on her face. "I... This is for me?" She asked then looked down at the floor before speaking again. "Master never let me eat with him. Always on the floor behind my cot so he would not have to see me while he ate. This is.... This is something new to me." She explained. She took the fork and cut a small bite of the omelet then put it in her mouth. She chewed for a moment, as her mind worked over the thoughts in her head.

Serenity was brought back to the present by Rills voice. "I am a bit sleepy still. Maybe a bit dizzy and my back tingles some." She told him when he asked how she felt. In truth, she felt wanted even though she was not being used as the toy that she was. "May.... May I be honest with you sir?" Serenity asked, her eyes slowly moving up to meet his.

“Serenity, you are a human being not a possession ,” Rillianthar said. “Nor are you an animal. The only time I would ever ask you to eat sitting down on the ground would be if we were camping.”

Rillianthar considered Serenity’s words, wondering what kind of person could have treated her so. Any possible regret that he had about taking her former master’s life guttered and died. He hid his distaste behind applying himself to his own breakfast, but then her question registered.

“Of course you may Serenity,” he replied, looking directly into her eyes. “I would always hope you would not be afraid to speak your mind to me.”

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (short, but she did ask a question.)

"I... I have felt more wanted, more... More happy since you saved me from my cruel master. I was always told that I was nothing, worthless, and stupid. It was repeated to me day in and day out." Serenity looked down at the floor again. "I'm nothing but a worthless slave, a toy, something to be used then thrown away when they tired of me. It's what my master said each time he beat me." She sighed, her half eaten omelet sitting beside her on the bed.

"He used to love me. My master did. Used to care for me deeply. He would love me every day all day. Kind words, caresses, kisses that were so sweet that I would become a puddle in his hands. But then... His brother... He raped me repeatedly while my master was away. I cried out for him to save me.... But he never came. After that, master looked at me differently, he became cruel, drinking, beating me. I became nothing but a worthless toy to him after that." Serenity had tears rolling down her cheeks by this time. "Master and I started moving around after that. Always trying to stay one step ahead of his brother, who wanted me for himself. We were running when you happened upon us that night. Master was exceptionally mad at me had even slapped me across the face. He took to beating me, taking advantage of me, as was his right as my master. That collar was really tight this time and I could feel it... I could feel it choking the life from me as I hung there. But master didn't care anymore. If you hadn't... He had decided it was time for one last beating. One last fucking. Then he was going to.... " Serenity stopped, her voice fading out as she spoke. Tears rolled freely down her face for the first time in Years.

Rillianthar was prepared for a list of errors he had made, what he wasn't prepared for was a history of the abuse Serenity had been subjected to. And despite her description of her masters kindness, Rillianthar saw through it, saw it for the controlling, abusive behavior it had been. He could hear the emotions in her voice as she described what had happened to her, the shift in behaviors. The tears were perhaps a surprise, but not a shock. Rillianthar doubted that the young woman recounting the tales of woe before him had ever been allowed to feel anything but what she had been told to feel. Setting aside his own food, he moved to the bed, setting her breakfast aside as well, taking its place beside the crying young woman. One arm went around her, sheltering her as best he could from the tide of emotion and memory. He wasn't at all surprised when Serenity curled up, pressing into his gentle embrace. How long had it been since anyone had comforted her? How long since she could feel for herself?

The tears ended rather more quickly than Rillianthar expected, most likely due to the iron control Serenity had been forced to learn. He was quite, quite certain that there would be more in the future, There was nothing he could do to undo the past, but Rillianthar vowed then and there that he would do his best to help her come to terms, both with the past, and with the uncertain future stretching out before her. He kept his arm around her, staying alert for the first sign of her pulling away so he could release her, and wiped the tears from her cheek with a gentle finger.

"I am so sorry that your childhood was stolen from you," he said quietly. "And that your dignity was stolen with it. You have been told all your life what to think, what to do, how to act. In a sense, we are all treated that way, by our parents, by society, but we are left with our dignity, our sense of self. No person has the right to take another against their will. Unfortunately, in your case you have been trained and told that this is your lot in life. Perhaps, had you remained under the, influence, of your old master, this might have been the case. You are not under his influence anymore, you are now under my care... not as a slave to be done with as I will, but as a student to be taught, a dependent to be protected, and I hope one day, a friend to be cherished."

Rillianthar shook his head, the task ahead of him seeming daunting, but knowing that it was the only proper path. He didn't know how long it would take, or if he could succeed, but he would do his best to allow Serenity to mold herself into something she wanted to be, not the plaything that she had been. He hoped that he was up to the task of teaching without trying to influence her choices, to let her become her own person.

"I hope to be able to help you become your own person," he said. "To make your own choices about who and what you wish to be. I cannot promise it will be easy, nor can I promise that I shall never be stern. What I can promise is that if you truly put forth your best effort, I shall be patient if you err, and I shall be proud of you just for making the effort, even if what I am trying to teach you turns out not to be something you enjoy. I know that you have known me but for a scant few days, most of which your were unconscious for, so my opinion matters little, but from what I have seen, you are strong... a survivor, and a lovely young woman who any man should be lucky to have as a companion, a partner, not a plaything. So, my lady Serenity... what do wish for your future?"

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (And the ball is in her court.)

Serenity shivered as he pulled her to him in a sympathetic embrace. She curled into him, soaking in the safety that she now felt. Her tears slowly subsided as she felt his warmth towards her. "I... I promise.. I will do whatever I can to make you pleased." She said softly. "I... I'm a fast learner... Please... Teach me... Teach me everything you think I should know. I... I want to learn."

Serenity looked up at him before pulling from his embrace. "I want to learn how to protect myself, to shoot a bow, to hunt, to cook..." She blushed and looked down again, her tear stained face showing shame for having spoken out as she had.

Rillianthar felt the gentle movement away, removing his arm as Serenity made to pull away from him. The torrent of words took a moment to decipher, but they both pleased and bothered him. He didn't want serenity to please him, he wanted her to please herself. But, perhaps baby steps were in order. She had a lifetime of conditioning and mistreatment to overcome, so he would take the small victories as they presented themselves.

"I shall teach you that which was denied you," Rillianthar said, placing a gentle finger under Serenity's chin, raising her eyes to meet his. "I shall teach you not just what you need to know to survive, but also those things which I may that you only wish to learn for pleasure. I can instruct you on the bow, how to fight, how to hunt, how to cook, as well as the thousand little things that make life bearable, and perhaps pleasurable. If I cannot teach you something you wish to know, I shall endeavor to learn myself, that we may both know a new thing. In time, I hope that rather than to please me, you shall learn to please yourself, but that too I believe you must learn over time."

Rillianthar retrieved the discarded plates, handing Serenity's back to her with a smile.

"And the first thing to learn is this... the body must be cared for. We have years of abuse to counter, and before we can do that, you must regain your strength. Why don't you tell me what you can do already while we finish. Then you can rest while I see to the needs of the farm. If you wish to sleep, do so. If you just wish to sit and perhaps read, then being in the sun would do you a world of good. I'm certain I can find, or make, something suitable for you to wear rather than risk your fine dress, or nothing more than one of my sleeping tunics."

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (He's hopeful now.)

Serenity looked up as his finger gently lifted her chin so that she would look at him. She was not used to this, looking at someone in the eyes. She had always been yelled at or slapped when ever she looked at her master. She looked ashamed, biting her lower lip nervously as she looked at him. He had a kind face and he spoke in a way that made it easy for her to read what he was saying to her. She nodded in reply when he released his finger from her chin, her head held a bit higher now. but not much.

She accepted the plate back and made to slow down on her eating. It would do her no good to eat fast and make herself sick again. "Thank you Sir." She replied quietly, forgetting that he had asked her to call him Rill. "Abuse?" Serenity asked. "What is that?" She questioned. Not knowing that Abuse was all the things that had been done to her since she had been kidnapped as a child. She finished the last bite of her omelette, then went on to tell him... "I can't do anything Sir. Well other than... I was.... I was a pleasure slave. To be fucked whenever Master wanted, wherever master wanted." She explained to him, sadness in her voice. "So... I only know sexual things."

Last edited:
Rillianthar shook his head slowly as Serenity spoke. The poor thing had no self esteem whatsoever, and didn't even know the things she was capable of.

"I think you perhaps sell yourself short," he said kindly. "You enjoy books, which means you are literate. This is by no means a common thing. When you are not delirious with fever, you are capable of dressing yourself, seeing to your own needs. There are some who must have these things done for them. So, perhaps you know more than you believe."

Rillianthar paused to finish his meal while he considered Serenity's question. She had been taken so young, indoctrinated so thoroughly. How could he help her to see in a way that didn't break the spirit she still held?

"There is nothing inherently wrong with knowing the best way to please a partner," he said slowly. "But your desire to know how to do other things... What would you call denying someone the chance to learn whatever they could? Consider this if you will, and I do not say this to cause pain of the heart, but to cause you to think.. if your former master had truly loved you as a person, why would he keep you so dependent upon him for all of your needs? You could have been so much more than a bed warmer had he but instructed you. Yet he chose not to. Why? Why were you taught that you were nothing without a master? Perhaps so that it would be impossible for you to consider your own worth? Perhaps you were told that the way you were treated and told to think was normal, when the rest of the world sees how you were treated as abuse. I cannot say, but perhaps you should think on these things. Now, unfortunately, I must return to the tasks of the farm. Will you sit outside in the sun, or will you rest inside and perhaps sleep?"

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (He's trying to get her to think.)

Serenity again bit her lower lip as he spoke. He could see that her mind was working over what he said. "Sooo... All the beatings, being chained to the bed.... And his use of me... That was all abuse?" She asked trying to make sense of things.

"i... I'd like to sit in the sun and read please." Serenity replied quietly when he asked what she wanted to do. She rose as he took the plates. Her hand shot to the headboard to steady herself as her other hand went to her head. She felt a bit dizzy but tried to shake it off as nothing.

"Yes," Rillianthar said, his voice level with an effort. "Because you were given no say in the matter, it was abuse. Never mind that the choice was taken from you at an early age, anything that was done to you without your informed and willing consent, was abuse."

As Serenity expressed her desire to sit outside, Rillianthar started to turn away, but saw her sway and grab at the headboard of the bed as her other hand went to her head. Immediately he dropped the plates, heedless of their fate, and sprang to Serenity's side. One arm went around her shoulders again, supporting her strongly as his other tilted her head back so he could look into her eyes. He didn't see any obvious signs of trouble with the brain, both of her eyes tracked in on his face, both of her pupils expanding and contracting as the light flickered. Her skin was not hot under his questing fingers as he gently set two fingers against her neck, seeking out the pulse point there. Her heartbeat was perhaps a trifle faster than he would prefer, but considering the emotional discussion they had been having, he couldn't say that was unexpected.

"This dizziness concerns me," he said, helping Serenity to sit back down on the bed. "I cannot see anything immediately wrong with you, and even on a liquid diet, I tried to make certain you took enough nourishment and water to sustain your body as you fought off the infection. I do believe that being outdoors in the sun, as well as increasing the amount you eat and drink for a few days will cause this to pass, but I cannot say for certain. Please, I would have your promise that until you have been a full day without a bout of dizziness, that you permit me to assist you whilst you move about the cabin and the grounds. May I have your word on this?"

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (The healer in him is concerned.)

"It has happened from time to time usually after long periods of no food." Serenity explained as he sat her back down. "The dizziness comes and goes. Sometimes it came after master hit my head with the cane." Her eyes moved to the floor. "I guess that was abuse as well. But I promise. I will tell you from now on if I feel dizzy. And... I will wait for you to help me till I am better." She kept her eyes downward for most of the time she spoke. "I am sorry to have caused you concern." She replied softly.

"My books? Were you able to find them?" She asked, trying to change the subject away from herself. She had just told Rill about her whole life. Something that she felt he should know, because he was now her caretaker. Now though, she didn't want to worry him more. He already worried about her health.

"He... hit... your... head... with... a... cane?!" Rillianthar couldn't help it. Each word was bitten off sharply, and carried the frozen ice of deepest winter. His eyes, normally the blue of a cloudless sky, changed to the flat grey of a looming thunderhead. Thankfully, Serenity's eyes were down, at least he hoped they were. Forcing a measure of calm back into his voice, he continued speaking, even as his guts roiled and he prayed silently to Hesvar that her former 'master' would spend an age in the outer darkness, contemplating the errors of his mortal life. "Ah, thank you for your promise Serenity. It is only out of an abundance of caution that I would assist you until these spells pass. As for your books, yes. The chest lies there, at the foot of the bed. I do not know the tales they tell, but while you lay ill, I picked the one that seemed most worn and read to you from it, though I misdoubt that you will recall that."

Bending to retrieve the dropped plates, and thank the Goddess they were not broken, he collected the dropped silver as well, then placed the plates near the basin. Turning to Serenity, he considered her carefully. His winter sleeping tunic hung about her like a tent, and did nothing to protect her lower legs or feet. She had her fine dress, but he doubted his own ability to clean and keep such a garment in good repair. He was a competent enough tailor to keep his clothing in good repair, and to craft simple things, but the complexities of the dress were beyond his skill. What could he do for... the leather and linens he had retrieved from the camp flashed into his mind, and he smiled. The clothing might be simple when he was finished, but it would protect Serenity from farm life, and he could easily repair it if it became damaged. Moving to a chest, he removed a small piece of paper, a stub of a pencil, and a measuring tape. Casting around, he spotted the low stool he was looking for and pulled it over beside the bed.

"Serenity," he started hesitantly. "I believe we need to make you an outfit more suited to farm life than my winter tunics and your gown. If you trust my intentions, could I ask you to remove the tunic you are wearing and stand upon this stool that I might take your measurements?"

Before he could continue his explanation, Serenity had slipped the tunic over her head and climbed carefully onto the stool, clad in nothing more than a pair of underwear about her waist. While he would like to have thought this bespoke of trust in him and his intentions, he rather more thought that it was a part of her indoctrination from childhood. Still, he could accomplish his task, and he quickly took a rather complete set of measurements. Waist to just below her knees, hips, length of her arm, both above and below the elbow, width of her shoulders, then he paused. This next set...

"I am sorry," he said, keeping his tone neutral. "This last set may be a little awkward, but they are required. Arms raised to the sides, shoulder height please."

Again, Serenity obeyed without question, standing perfectly still as he measured just below her bust, just above it, then as quickly and professionally as he could, directly over the swell of her breasts.

"I am done," he said, handing her the tunic she had so freely discarded. "Thank you for allowing me to measure you. The first things I make will necessarily be a bit rough and rushed, but in the evenings I shall do what I can to improve upon my first efforts. Would you prefer a skirt or pants for work about the farm?"

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (Time to start to choose for herself.)

Without a single thought to what she was doing, Serenity had stripped and let him measure her for clothing. Every thing he asked, she did. When he finished, she accepted the tunic back, but took her time putting it back on. She hated wearing clothes but with her new life... It was something that she would need to get used to.

When Rill asked about a dress or pants, Serenity's lower lip sucked in and she began biting it while thinking. "I am so used to dresses.... I like the freeness to move in them. They are like having nothing on. But.... Is it hard? What I am about to do, to learn on the farm? Would I be more protected by pants or by the dress?"

"That depends on what we are doing at the time," Rillianthar said after a moments thought. "I will ask, once you grow stronger, that you assist with the daily running of the farm. We will tend animals, which means moving fodder, cleaning, and milking. Also we need to haul wood for our fire, clean dishes, prepare meals. Add in fighting practice, bow practice. Hmm. You will need both. And good boots which I cannot make."

Rillianthar considered, then seemed to come to a decision.

"If it is agreeable with you, we will start with a linen skirt and tunic while you recover your strength. That will give me time to assay leather and canvas pants for dirty work and practice. A long skirt of heavy linen or canvas will suffice for daily chores when you are strong enough. I will contact a friend about boots for you. Will that please you? "

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (options options)

Rill listed off a bunch of things that she would have to learn to help with. And it made her head spin. "I..." She was clearly confused. She'd never had all this many choices in her life. It felt like everything was hitting her at once. Serenity sat on the side of the bed with the feeling of being overwhelmed. She looked up at him, confusion written all over her face. That's when he made his suggestion. And she nodded. "That sounds good. Thank you.." She replied, the confusion on her face vanishing.

Rillianthar wasted no time in pulling the cloth he had pilfered from the camp out of the chest he had placed it in. Shaking the bolt out, he found that he had enough material to meet their needs several times over. The material was a good, heavy weave, most likely meant for patching tents, but it would serve their purposes perfectly. In short order he had a large circle of the material cut out, a section in the center removed as well, slightly larger than Serenity's hips. The leather he cut into a wide strip, an inch shorter that the hole in the center of the cloth. Some work with a small awl, and both ends of the strip sported matching holes, set well back from the edge. When he asked Serenity to disrobe again, and step into the opening in the center of the fabric, she did so immediately, watching him work curiously.

Pulling the fabric up to her waist, he noted that it would fall to slightly above her ankles. This was good. With Serenity holding the fabric at her waist, Rillianthar placed the leather he had cut around her waist, over the fabric, the folded the top edge down to cover it before placing several pins to hold it in place as he had Serenity step out of it. It took nearly half an hour of setting tight, careful stitches, but in the end the leather had been sewn into the waist of the skirt, with just the two perforated end exposed. Taking a cured leather thong, he loosely laced the ends together before having Serenity step into it again. Once the skirt was around her waist, Rillianthar pulled strongly on the ends of the leather thong, which had the effect of tightening the waistband around Serenity, holding the skirt in place.

"If you would care to move about and tell me how that feels?" Rillianthar invited. "I am no great tailor, but I think with a tunic, that should suffice until we can provide better."

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (It's a little rough around the edges, but he hopes she likes it.)

After all the work that Rill went through...

Serenity watched with interest as he made quick work of making her a skirt. She had never seen anyone actually sewing something out of material and thread. She stepped into the skirt once more as Rill tightened it to her waist, and gazed at it in awe. She slowly moved across the room and back. "I like it though.... Something is poking me back here." She pointed out, motioning to the back of her waistband. Turning, he could see a pin sticking out of it.

Once it was gone, she moved across the floor and back. She smiled, happy to be at least partially naked underneath the skirt. "What do you think?" She asked softly.

Rillianthar suppressed a chuckle as he removed the errant pin. The Goddess knew he had pocked himself often enough with his tailoring efforts. Serenity was really going to need more than he could provide for her. He could keep things in good repair, but creating a proper wardrobe for her was going to be well out of his skill range. He needed to get some help to get her boots made anyway. He also needed to find room for another bed, since the little cot just wasn't a long term solution for either of them. Idly he wondered where Mythis and Devira were. Those two would make short work of all of his problems. And with the coin he had liberated from Serenity's former master, he could actually afford their aid without having to barter. He hadn't sent a letter to Illeila in ages, so he could send her a missive and ask about the duo at the same time.

"I think that it will serve," he said, "Though my skill does not do you justice. Still, it shall suffice until I can provide better for you. For now... Hmm. Ah, yes."

Rillianthar went to a different chest, and pulled out one of his old leather jerkins. The lower edge of the armor had become badly damaged, and he had set it aside for repair. Now he pulled it out, and after holding it up to Serenity, then comparing it to the measurements he had taken, removed the bottom six inches. The sleeves he also removed, leaving enough material to tuck into the skirt. He lined the inside with linen to protect Serenity's skin, then held it out to her.

"I know this is stiffer than linen," he said apologetically, "But you will need your arms free to do chores with me. The lining should protect your skin from chafing, and the leather will turn aside anything the farm can throw at you."

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (And repurposed leather armor into a work shirt.)

Serenity slipped on the top and tucked it into the skirt. She slowly spun around, A smile growing on her pale face. "How do I look?" She asked. "Do... Do I look like a farm girl?" She sat on the side of the bed feeling a bit dizzy. "Rill. Everything is spinning again." Her smile turned to a frown as she closed her eyes, waiting for the spinning to stop.

When the spinning stopped she opened her eyes again and looked to him. "Guess I done something wrong there." She said out loud then mumbled something that sounded like she was calling herself names.

Rillianthar had to chuckle as Serenity spun in place. His smile faded as she sat rather abruptly and confessed to the world spinning. He waited until the spell seemed to have passed and she opened her eyes again. He was happy to have her speaking, but then he frowned at the self deprecating tenor her mumbled words took on.

"Serenity," he said, the kind note in his voice tempered by a hint of sternness. "Stop. I am not going to call you names for getting excited and forgetting that your are still recovering from an illness, and I would not have you criticizing yourself either. There is no harm done, and you will receive no harsh words for making an innocent mistake, so long as it is learned from. You are strong, intelligent, and quite lovely, and yes, you do look like a farm girl, or at least you will once your skin darkens. What you are not are the things your former master called you. You are not a bitch, a slut, a whore, stupid, worthless, or anything else. I know it will take time for you to accept that. I also know it will take far, far longer if you call yourself the things he called you. So, no more."

Rillianthar tapped the tip of Serenity's nose gently with his finger, smiling as he did so.

"If you find you must say something, you may say or think this. 'I made a mistake. I messed up. Now I know not to do that ever again. I have learned something new.'" he said. "That is a mantra I have repeated to myself many, many times over the course of my life. If my mistakes cause others pain, I make things right to the best of my ability. If I break something, I repair it. If I injure myself, I heal and don't make the same mistake twice."

Rillianthar moved over to the bed, offering Serenity his hand to help her rise.

"I will not ask you to promise what you cannot do," he said. "But I will ask you to try and think before you call yourself names in your head. For now, if you would select your book, I shall help you outside, so you may read or watch as I care for the animals."

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (Domesticity time)

The autumn haired lady looked down at the floor when he "got onto" her about the words she had mumbled to herself. She opened her mouth to say something, but thought better of it and instead remained silent. She carefully got up from the bed and picked her favorite book from the top of the chest in which she kept her precious books, then looked to Rill, waiting for him to help her outside.

"May I... May I please sit on the ground, in the sun, with a tree, or something to lean against?" She asked him when she finally spoke. Serenity moved her eyes up to look at his kind face. She knew she had done wrong, because he had told her it was wrong, but she had been called those things, so many times...

"Of course," Rillianthar said, offering Serenity his arm. "I was going to offer you the bench outside the cabin, but I believe I can accommodate your desire."

Moving slowly so as not to trigger another spell of dizziness, Rillianthar led Serenity out of the cabin and into the bright sunlight. He paused for a moment, giving their eyes time to adjust to the increased brightness, then led Serenity to a large oak tree that stood near the edge of the clearing his cabin occupied. The grass here was short, kept cropped by the efforts of the goats, and the branches of the tree started too high for the chickens to find it a comfortable roost, so there were no droppings to worry about. Serenity started to sit, but Rillianthar stopped her with a word.

"Just a moment please," he said. "If you would stand for a moment longer I shall get you a blanket."

Rillianthar jogged to the barn and retrieved one of the horse blankets. They had been cleaned and hung once the winter had ended and they were no longer needed, so it wouldn't smell strongly of horse, and while the weave was coarse, the material was not rough. Jogging back to the tree with his prize, Rillianthar spread the blanket before the trunk of the oak, then made a grand bow to Serenity.

"Your throne awaits my lady," he said, a twinkle in his eye. "If you would but take your seat, I shall see to the needs of the day."

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (Time for her to relax, and him to work.)

Serenity accepted his arm, her other hand holding tight to her book. As they moved toward the place where she would spend the day, everything spun a second or two causing her to tighten her hold on his arm. Then it stopped just as quick. When they got to the tree, her hand rested on the rough bark while she waited for him. Serenity smiled as he lay the blanket out for her. She took his hand as he helped her sit, and watched as he headed away to care for his farm.

Once he was out of sight, Serenity picked up her book and started at the beginning, her back leaning against the tree. She read for an hour or so then slowly nodded off, her book falling to her lap.

Rillianthar left Serenity settled on the blanket with her book and headed for the barn. The next couple of hours passed quickly and pleasantly, for her found relaxation in the small chores of the farm. Muck out the goat's nighttime pen, carefully adding their contributions to the bin located behind the barn. Old hay, manure, everything that could possible help the garden next year went into the bin to rot over the winter. He pulled fresh hay down out of the loft so it would be near at hand for the next day, cleaned the horse's stall, refilling the manger and water, then turned his attention to the garden. The weeds never ceased in their efforts to overrun his vegetables, so he never ceased his war against them. He also took the occasional moment to peer around the corner at Serenity. She was so engrossed in her book that she didn't even notice him checking up on her.

The sun had moved appreciably by the time Rillianthar decided that the garden had seen enough of his time for the day. Rising and ducting himself off, he considered the position of the sun, then nodded to himself. He had time before the animals were ready to ask Serenity what she wanted for dinner. As he stepped around the end of the barn he froze in his tracks, staring. Serenity was fast asleep, her book in her lap. That part of the scene was perfectly normal. What was not normal was the faint, golden glow that surrounded the sleeping woman, nor was the translucent figure gazing fondly down at her. Rillianthar considered dashing into the cabin for his bow, though he much doubted it would do any good against a being that was obviously of the spirit world, then froze as the figure turned and smiled at him. He knew that face, and he gave a deeply respectful bow to the avatar of Hesvar standing before him.

"I require no obeisance from you Rillianthar T'Sharin," a melodious voice echoed in the corners of his mind. "You follow the ways of the forest, taking only what you need and using what you take. You fight, but do not seek battle. You aid those in need without thought of recompense. You are truly one of My wardens, and I thank you for your unstinting service."

"Thank you my Lady," Rillianthar said, rising from his bow. He was startled that his voice didn't waver, but the sense of peace that Hesvar was exuding made it impossible to feel fear.

"This one has suffered much in her short life," Hesvar said, sadness in her mental voice. "For now I have given her what peace I can in the form of dreams full of peace and love. I would do more, but it lies beyond My power to intervene directly. Thus, I must lay a heavy burden upon your shoulders my loyal warden."

"I have already offered to aid her in learning to live and love for herself," Rillianthar said. When the avatar smiled at him, he flushed a little. Of course the Goddess knew what he had done.

"And it was well and truly done," Hesvar said, and this time her voice was warm with approval. "Not all who profess to follow my ways would have offered what you have so freely. You have already set your hand to the task, so I charge you, my warden, with the task of caring for this young Serenity. Help her to learn the true meaning of love, not just the lust with which she was trained. I sense a deeply buried strength within her. Nurture it. She shall fail at some things, and will need much support to overcome those failures. You shall require patience, understanding, and love yourself. To this end, I grant you my blessing, even as I grant it to one who does not yet know me."

Hesvar raised her hands up to the sky, and two forms seemingly made of sunlight swooped down to land on her upturned hands. The shapes appeared to shift and flow constantly, and Hesvar held one hand towards Serenity's sleeping form and the other towards Rillianthar. The shapes darted out, as quick as a hummingbird's flight, and Rillianthar didn't even have time to flinch before the one coming towards him had impacted his chest, and passed through as though he were the insubstantial one. He turned, and the glowing shape was now recognizable as a glittering fox grinned up at him before fading from view. His gaze returned to Serenity just in time to see a cat-like form fading from view.

"They will be about while you remain in my demesne. They may not speak, but should something be amiss, you will feel it. If a thing seems questionable, trust your feelings."

Before Rillianthar could reply, the figure was gone from Serenity and standing directly before him, a warm smile on her radiant face. One translucent hand stretched forth, gaining solidity just long enough to rest upon his head. At that touch all weariness faded away, and he felt a peace he hadn't since he found Serenity.

"My blessing upon you my warden," Hesvar said. "My strength is yours when used in the defense of your charge. And for your love and devotion to My true path, know that you are loved and cherished, not only in this world, but also in mine."

Before he could form a reply, the figure of Hesvar was simply gone, but a final whisper of her mind speech came to him faintly.

"I have heard your prayer. He is not one of mine, but I have spoken to the one to whom he was pledged. His time will be... educational before his spirit is permitted to return."

"Thank you my Lady," he breathed, then looked down. Serenity was starting to stir. Reaching out a gentle hand, he touched her shoulder lightly. "Time to arise Lady Serenity. The day wears on, and we must decide upon dinner before I must see to the animals for the evening."

PrincessCrystal PrincessCrystal (The spirit will give her intense feelings when things are wrong and she doesn't realize, or when things are going well and she isn't certain. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back