Other guess who isn't graduating [le rant]

Error 420

One Thousand Club
In the state of Indiana, all high school students need to take two semesters of US History as well as one semester of Economics and Government each. I got like super deadly sick this semester and so was out of school for about 5 weeks from the third week of this second semester up to the seventh.

I wasn't put into my US history class this second semester until the third week for reasons completely beyond me, so I was already two weeks behind with no way to get the grades back. And then I was sick for 5 weeks and the teacher refused to give me the work for that time so I had literally no way of getting the grades back for half of the 18-week semester. I did the math and the most plausible way I can get a B in the class for this semester is to get a 135% for the remaining 6 weeks and a 100% on the final, which is literally impossible. No biggie, I can retake it next year instead of graduating early as planned, and still take Gov and Econ during the summer as planned.

The problem being thus: My school does not allow you to take either of those courses until after you've passed both semesters of US history, so I can't take it until after I retake the second semester of US History.

Which I can't do until the second semester

So I have to wait until after 12th grade to take government and econ

so I can't graduate unless I become a super senior and stay for another year, not only putting a giant red mark on my transcript that I'm a shitty student but also delaying my planned early graduation by two years, even though I've got a 3.7 gpa and all the credits for a diploma with double honors except for these three.

so if you can think of any solutions that'd be great, but be warned that what may seem logical to you is often an impossible concept for the lafayette school corporation.

(and yes, legally speaking my teacher doesn't have to give me the work for when I was sick because it was more than three absences, regardless of the fact that those weeks were spent in a hospital)

little bit of math here, in order to get the minimum passing grade of 61% I need a perfect score on the final and all assignments from here to the end of the semester, so there is actually a chance

an imperceptible one

but a chance

little bit of math here, in order to get the minimum passing grade of 61% I need a perfect score on the final and all assignments from here to the end of the semester, so there is actually a chance

an imperceptible one

but a chance

So, having read all of that and you actually having a small chance of passing (I’m sure you will), is there no system that allows you to give you a longer period of time to do work under the correct circumstances?

My university has these measures in place in case of things like that happening.
Just talk to someone relevant about it, explain your situation, provide proof and see what can be done?

So, having read all of that and you actually having a small chance of passing (I’m sure you will), is there no system that allows you to give you a longer period of time to do work under the correct circumstances?

My university has these measures in place in case of things like that happening.
Just talk to someone relevant about it, explain your situation, provide proof and see what can be done?

Nope. No system like that.

I suppose, in true US fashion, they don't have anyone you can contact to get an exceptional measure since you fell behind due to circumstances beyond your control?

Dang, that's an unfortunate situation. You might not have to stay as a super senior, though- I don't know how likely it is that you'll graduate early, but becoming a super senior can be prevented in most cases. Especially if it's an otherwise spotless student like you. I'm not sure what options your school offers, but here are a few options they might have:

- Summer classes. Lots of students do these, of all different kinds (Not just the ones who are "bad kids.") A lot of the time, if you fail a class that's required for you to graduate, and if you can't work out the next year's schedule to fit it in, you can take a condensed version of the class at summer school. I haven't done it personally, so I don't know exactly how they do it, but I know people who've done it and they said it was pretty useful for what they had to do.

- Depending on how your class schedule looks, you might be able to fit it all into one year anyway. US Gov the first semester, then both Economics and Government the next semester. The downside is that you'd have to give up an elective in order to do it, but to avoid being in school for a fifth year, it's worth it.

- Another possible option is taking the class and its prerequisite at the same time. This is probably the most rare out of the ones I could think of. I've only seen it done once that I can remember, with a student who had previously been taking regular classes but then joined the honors program. Because the honors program combined seventh and eighth grade math into one year back in middle school, the honors math classes were always one year ahead everyone else. Since the student had just joined, she had to catch up- so she was taking two math classes at once. (Despite the fact that one "had" to be taken before the other.) So, at least in some cases, they'll loosen their rules to make your schedule work out.

Hopefully it works out. For sure, if you have a school counselor you can talk to about scheduling (If you've never talked to your counselor, you can probably go down to the office and ask about it- Unless your school is so bad at being a school that they don't even have a counselor- but I'm pretty sure most schools would have one, if not several.) Even if for some reason you can't talk to a counselor, you can still probably ask someone at the office about makeup opportunities and summer school stuff. I'd honestly be shocked if they didn't offer at least one of these.

In any case, good luck! Whatever you do, just make sure you don't push yourself too hard- It's much better to stay a little longer than to jump off to college a bit early and end up burning yourself out from working so hard for so long. Hopefully things will be alright.

otherwise spotless student like you

lol no

Also, I can't take the classes at the same time as their prerequisite, it's the school's policy. I do talk to my counselor often and she's just like "fucked if I know". I can't take US history as a summer class either, only Health, PE, Gov, Econ, Advanced Art, Marching Band, and middle school orchestra are offered.

I can't take US History 2 first semester, it's only offered second semester. Thanks for the advice though.

God fucking damnit America. I guess you could like scream at your teacher about it or some shit, could just badger them all next year, sounds like something i'd do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back