• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Grim/Dark Fantasy Idea - with a certain sense of 'realism' incl.

Grime

Alright, so I know I'm basically new blood on this forum and all, but I have this certain not-all-that-original idea in mind. I say that because it's loosely based on a couple of books, basically mix & matching their outlinings where fitting and creating the not-all-that-original idea as mentioned. You don't need to be familiar with either of the book series as this plot is actually only using a few cornerstones of theirs as a general foundation for the rp.

But in case you want to know, or happen to be familiar with one/both of them, here are the names:
- Lies of Locke Lamora
- Chronicles of Raven

For this rp I'll be using the following general idea, and some lesser important arcs of the Gentlemen Bastards:

It's basically about a band of extremely cunning, skilled and especially cultured con artists/thieves. Coming up with elaborate schemes to steal from the wealthy. Nobody is safe from their greed, doesn't matter on which side of the law you operate, if you have enough coin --- They'll be coming. The only exception to this rule is one of their own, under no circumstance is one of their own to become a target. Obviously for such an amount of trust and non-negotiotable vow to be made, a lot of time and experience has to be shared between the brothers-in-cloaks before they're even allowed to know of the existence about the inner echelon of the syndicate.

Now for Chronicles of Raven:

Similarly to Lies of Locke Lamora, it's a group of friends, mercenaries in this case, that have a fearsome reputation for having a basically flawless success rate of the myriad of missions they have taken on. While individually they are undoubtedly strong and skilled in their respective expertise. Be it magic, stealth, combat, etc. It's their unwavering devotion and unified sense of comraderie that make them so fearsome during operations. They never, ever, take on a mission without consulting their brethren before ultimately deciding, nor do they kill without the consent of the peers! They don't have a strict hierarchy because of all seeing the other as an invaluable brother and pillar to their family.

So, how would this RP go about?

I was thinking of both groups taking on the same target, by different contractors and without being aware of this. Not to mention the first group (Lamora) is so secretive that not even the 'Raven' would know of them. As it turns out, the different contractors operate under the same commander and it was basically a suicide mission for both of these groups to either die trying to succeed but in the end kill one another / weaken one another enough for the commander (possibly governemental of the region) to swoop in, capture/kill them and take the credit.

This could be the beginning of a larger organization/alliance between the two groups, be it by choice or necessity, depending on the outcome of the aforementioned mission.

I think 2-3 players for each group would suffice, especially in the beginning. I'm not sure if people would want to play multiple PCs (one on each group?) So that's to be decided still. I think this idea has quite a lot of potential in many ways. Also the interaction between the two groups could prove to be very interesting, considering they have different morals and views on what is good/wrong/morally grey/...

Thoughts? Feedback? Interests? :)

Awesome, thanks for showing interest.

I'm going to tackle two PCs, one in each group. Of course we'll be roleplaying with a lot of NPCs as well, but these will be 'collaborative projects' in which we can all provide feedback/input on, for the major ones at least. For minor NPCs, feel free to wing it and be as creative as y'all want to be.

There are no strictly defined roles for either group, but I would personally love to see a defensive (possibly with some form of healing?) priest or mage of sorts and a (melee?) combat-oriented warrior on the mercenary group.

This can, and will, be worked around if nobody feels like playing those roles though. I would never want anyone to be forced to play a character you don't want to write as, so don't worry about this last part too much and just play the PC you want, to be honest!!

Looking for a few more players by the way! :)

Any gender specific groups? Aka is Gentleman’s Bastards for guys only Or are there females in the group?

Absolutely not. Females can be definitely be a part of the con artist's org as well! No genderlocks/genderspecific aspects on either group. Never been a fan of that in games, so I'll be damned to incorporate that in the RP haha. The Gentlemen Bastards is also a reference to the original book, IC the faction will be called differently so no worries there either. :P

Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

Awesome!

So far we have Gravitational Force Gravitational Force Darkhan Darkhan Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow and myself 2x (Since I'll probably play a PC on both groups)

Mercenaries: 2 players
Thieves: 3 players

I'm going to wait a little while longer before creating a CS Thread, Introduction/Opening Post and whatnot, in case there are others who would like to join. If 1 or 2 more join, we can already get started. Not a fan of RPs with too many players, I find it rarely works in the middle/long run.

PS: What do you guys prefer, posting order / queu or not? Since it'll be an RP with a limited amount of people, I personally don't think a posting order would be very useful and sometimes interaction between 2 PCs can go back and forth for a short while, in which case these players don't need to wait an excessive amount of time just to finish their story, if that makes sense? :)

So basically, I'm not for posting order in this case, thoughts?

Interested in mercenaries.

Although this is my first time joining a RP, i find it to be an interesting RP.

Perfect.

I'll write up the CS and link / PM you all, please finish your Character Sheet -and wait for me to approve/disapprove your CS- before starting to RP in the actual roleplay though.
This is done to get a basic understanding of your character and also to see how your writing style is.

PS: Apologies for the minor delay on feedback, I had a few days off and took full advantage of that. ^^

If you've still got room, I'm interested. I'd prefer to be a con artist, but I'm down with joining either group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back