Viewpoint Good RPs to read for experience

Akweia

Hi guys. I'm looking for recommendations. What RPs on here would be good to read to get a good idea of what's good quality writing on this site?

What RPs on here would be good to read to get a good idea of what's good quality writing on this site?

None. The notion of what quality is shifts dramatically among different groups. In fact an extremely common debate pertains to the quality of long posts for instance, where most sides agree the length itself isn't important, but heavily disagree on what kind of details are good to have.

There are of course some basic notions like having good grammar, pushing the plot forward, staying in character and so on... but those are basic notions you are likely not gonna pick up from imitation.

In fact, rather than imitating, I recommend experimenting and finding your own style, then playing to that style's strengths.

Hey Akweia!

The site features well established roleplays of a wide variety on a monthly basis in a sitewide newsletter. You can look at some of the features, new and old, to get a taste of what kind of roleplays are out there. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you need any help. 🙂

Hey Akweia!

The site features well established roleplays of a wide variety on a monthly basis in a sitewide newsletter. You can look at some of the features, new and old, to get a taste of what kind of roleplays are out there. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you need any help. 🙂

thanks that's very helpful!

The best thing one can do for their own ability and quality is to read, first and foremost. Read published works, be they novels, short stories, or RPG modules. The shared quality of all of these is word economy. A text-wall does not a good post make; that is all "sound and fury signifying nothing" as Macbeth said.

In reading published works, you'll start picking up patterns of pacing among different authors in different genres, all of which can be applied here or in your own authorial endeavors. Brandon Sanderson, the cinnamon bun that he is, also has his lectures on writing/plotting/world-building posted on youtube.

The best thing one can do for their own ability and quality is to read, first and foremost. Read published works, be they novels, short stories, or RPG modules. The shared quality of all of these is word economy. A text-wall does not a good post make; that is all "sound and fury signifying nothing" as Macbeth said.

In reading published works, you'll start picking up patterns of pacing among different authors in different genres, all of which can be applied here or in your own authorial endeavors. Brandon Sanderson, the cinnamon bun that he is, also has his lectures on writing/plotting/world-building posted on youtube.

Agreed! I am an avid reader. But pretty new to RPing in forums. Still trying to get the gist of it by reading some others work. Thanks for replying!

Best way to learn is to dive right in. I started about 15 years ago on some defunct fossil-forums of yore. There's no real right or wrong way of doing it, you just need to find what works for you, and the only way to find that medium is to experiment.

Exactly what everyone has already stated here. You kinda just.... Do it and over time RPing becomes easier to do. I started on an MMO for kids where everyone used asterisks when they didn't have character emotes to do actions lol. Now I do paragraphs.

Different people have different styles and "voices" looking at public threads here is all well and good, and would give you a feel for RPing, but it's not like there's any set rules for what's "good" because it is not the same for everyone.

I'm going to go ahead and tag Asteria Asteria here -- she reads RPs on this site.

Depending on what your genre interests are, she might have some recommendations for you! No good telling you to read fantasy or a certain fandom if you don't like those in general, lol. So if you want to offer genres you're in to, that might also help us figure out what to recommend!

I'm going to go ahead and tag Asteria Asteria here -- she reads RPs on this site.

Depending on what your genre interests are, she might have some recommendations for you! No good telling you to read fantasy or a certain fandom if you don't like those in general, lol. So if you want to offer genres you're in to, that might also help us figure out what to recommend!
I can't believe you called me out like that

I do read many roleplays around here, indeed xD mostly 1x1s (I do have a group roleplay that I stalk constantly though), so if that is your thing, I am more than glad to help. I do have some 'favourites' and there are some roleplayers that I really like in terms of their writing style, but more information would certainly help. Writing styles can be different from one roleplay to another; there is a certain way to write in modern settings and another when it comes to fantasy/ historical roleplays.

I am going to leave some names for reference, though, just in case. For modern settings (though, not just that, because I know that some of these roleplayers have diverse interests), I would read anything from weldherwings weldherwings , Uxie Uxie , triples triples (especially these two, their writing is fantastic!), reveriee reveriee , natasha. natasha. , A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba and their partners (there are certainly more out there, but they are the first that came to mind). Melpomene Melpomene is fantastic for more fantasy-settings. Viper Viper is damn good at writing detailed, lengthy replies. s e v e n s e v e n is great when it comes to fancy writing, especially for more historical settings. Also, Lucyfer Lucyfer is good when it comes to capturing a character's emotions, reactions and the world around them without dragging things, but she mostly does fandom stuff, so I don't know how willing you are to read through that just for the writing.

Also, yeah, this may be awkward so hey to everyone I've tagged. Your writing is dope xD if you want your name removed or I have made you uncomfortable in any way, please contact me and let me know so I can delete your tag and write a long-ass apology.

Last edited:

I do read many roleplays around here, indeed xD mostly 1x1s (I do have a group roleplay that I stalk constantly though), so if that is your thing, I am more than glad to help. I do have some 'favourites' and there are some roleplayers that I really like in terms of their writing style, but more information would certainly help. Writing styles can be different from one roleplay to another; there is a certain way to write in modern settings and another when it comes to fantasy/ historical roleplays.

I am going to leave some names for reference, though, just in case. For modern settings (though, not just that, because I know that some of these roleplayers have diverse interests), I would read anything from weldherwings weldherwings , Uxie Uxie , triples triples (especially these two, their writing is fantastic!), reveriee reveriee , natasha. natasha. , CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters and their partners (there are certainly more out there, but they are the first that came to mind). Melpomene Melpomene is fantastic for more fantasy-settings. Viper Viper has some damn good at writing detailed, lengthy replies. s e v e n s e v e n is great when it comes to fancy writing, especially for more historical settings. Also, Lucyfer Lucyfer is good when it comes to capturing a character's emotions, reactions and the world around them without dragging things, but she mostly does fandom stuff, so I don't know how willing you are to read through that just for the writing.

Also, yeah, this may be awkward so hey to everyone I've tagged. Your writing is dope xD if you want your name removed or I have made you uncomfortable in any way, please contact me and let me know so I can delete your tag and write a long-ass apology.
Thanks cutie~

I am going to leave some names for reference, though, just in case. For modern settings (though, not just that, because I know that some of these roleplayers have diverse interests), I would read anything from weldherwings weldherwings , Uxie Uxie , triples triples (especially these two, their writing is fantastic!), reveriee reveriee , natasha. natasha. , CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters and their partners (there are certainly more out there, but they are the first that came to mind). Melpomene Melpomene is fantastic for more fantasy-settings. Viper Viper is damn good at writing detailed, lengthy replies. s e v e n s e v e n is great when it comes to fancy writing, especially for more historical settings. Also, Lucyfer Lucyfer is good when it comes to capturing a character's emotions, reactions and the world around them without dragging things, but she mostly does fandom stuff, so I don't know how willing you are to read through that just for the writing.

Glad you've enjoyed! I'm super flattered to be included.

I am going to leave some names for reference, though, just in case. For modern settings (though, not just that, because I know that some of these roleplayers have diverse interests), I would read anything from weldherwings weldherwings , Uxie Uxie , triples triples (especially these two, their writing is fantastic!), reveriee reveriee , natasha. natasha. , CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters and their partners (there are certainly more out there, but they are the first that came to mind). Melpomene Melpomene is fantastic for more fantasy-settings. Viper Viper is damn good at writing detailed, lengthy replies. s e v e n s e v e n is great when it comes to fancy writing, especially for more historical settings. Also, Lucyfer Lucyfer is good when it comes to capturing a character's emotions, reactions and the world around them without dragging things, but she mostly does fandom stuff, so I don't know how willing you are to read through that just for the writing.

SALKDFJKADSLS:F OML SHUSHHH 😭 okay y'all she is too kind (but feel free to check out some of my rps bc i honestly have AMAZING partners wowow)

besides those asteria has already mentioned, i would recommend pasta pasta (her descriptions are so lovely! damn its so fun to write with her), VALEN T. VALEN T. (the SKILL?? UHM--) (but seriously the vibe of their writing is so incredible), and Asteria Asteria hehehe back at you (honestly, her writing is sooo good when i learned that she wasn't a native speaker i was s h o o k). i feel like i've learned so much from reading these people's posts, and they're enjoyable to read.

of course, there are a bunch of incredible writers on this site, but i will admit that i don't have the attention span to consistently read a lot of things on here 👀 honestly, i would recommend looking through the forums and trusting your instincts! if you read a piece that you get a strong impression from, then they're probably a good writer to observe. what you consider good quality will intrinsically come across to you as good -- the overall impression you get from reading a piece of writing is something i would consider to be more important than how long it is, or the complexity of their language, since that means they can convey emotions and sensations well. so sifting briefly through the forums to find something that hits you is a simple way to find styles of writing that appeal to you, with qualities that you can take away from it.

(if i happened to misinterpret the original intention of this thread ... well i still recommend these writers haha. good luck to you!)

SALKDFJKADSLS:F OML SHUSHHH 😭 okay y'all she is too kind (but feel free to check out some of my rps bc i honestly have AMAZING partners wowow)

besides those asteria has already mentioned, i would recommend pasta pasta (her descriptions are so lovely! damn its so fun to write with her), VALEN T. VALEN T. (the SKILL?? UHM--) (but seriously the vibe of their writing is so incredible), and Asteria Asteria hehehe back at you (honestly, her writing is sooo good when i learned that she wasn't a native speaker i was s h o o k). i feel like i've learned so much from reading these people's posts, and they're enjoyable to read.

of course, there are a bunch of incredible writers on this site, but i will admit that i don't have the attention span to consistently read a lot of things on here 👀 honestly, i would recommend looking through the forums and trusting your instincts! if you read a piece that you get a strong impression from, then they're probably a good writer to observe. what you consider good quality will intrinsically come across to you as good -- the overall impression you get from reading a piece of writing is something i would consider to be more important than how long it is, or the complexity of their language, since that means they can convey emotions and sensations well. so sifting briefly through the forums to find something that hits you is a simple way to find styles of writing that appeal to you, with qualities that you can take away from it.

(if i happened to misinterpret the original intention of this thread ... well i still recommend these writers haha. good luck to you!)
xD YOU SHUSH!!! I agree with everything she said here ( pasta pasta and VALEN T. VALEN T. are indeed damn good writers to follow) -- browsing the forums and trying to find something that calls out to you could really help. I know I have done that many times in the past, especially when I was still trying to find my own writing 'voice', and that is why I am still doing it to this day. We can only guide you a bit, but it is important to find something that speaks to you and makes you go "oh, I would like to write similarly or express my ideas in a similar manner" and evolve from that in order to create your own writing style.

Omg someone reads my stuff aldjaldka thank you so much luv ;A; you have no idea this tag made my day aldjaldia glad you enjoy my writing <3

oh .////. im so honoured !!!! this is gonna make my MONTH
and to op! i'd recommend sky castle which is an rp that includes 4 of the modern writers mentioned by asteria (not a self-plug i swear) run by A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba and Stardust Galaxy Stardust Galaxy (who are both great writers too!!!!!)

i feel like most of the people i look up to have already been mentioned in the thread (adding on neon reverie neon reverie who i could gush abt forever + a few others who im too shy to tag but they should know who they r.)

a lil off-topic probably, but i'd echo what the others have said about joining roleplays to find good writers yourselves and trusting your intuition when you just browse through the forums! many of the writer-friends i admire i discovered by having the opportunity to write with them! especially since you've mentioned that you're just new to RPing on forums but not writing in general, i think being able to build experience first-hand might be the best way to go! you'll get the hang of it real fast, so don't be too worried about whether you're "up-to-standards" or anything and just.,., seek out anyone you think might be nice to write with :"")

As someone who got into RPing with very little experience with writing, I'd say just jump in. Find a partner that will be patient, and write for a bit. See what you like and dislike, maybe read other RPs as well. I've learned that you improve the most by actually writing, and that there's no real pressure. It isn't a contest, and it's not a job. Have fun, and take it at your own pace.

Wow what a list! thank you!

Thanks! I'm just getting started and there is SO much stuff on this site and more is being added every day so this helps.

This is an interesting topic. I have a 1x1 that's way over 8 hours of reading content and 300+ pages (on google docs)

I really like the idea of taking RPs and putting them into a audience-friendly format for others to read

I am going to leave some names for reference, though, just in case. For modern settings (though, not just that, because I know that some of these roleplayers have diverse interests), I would read anything from weldherwings weldherwings , Uxie Uxie , triples triples (especially these two, their writing is fantastic!), reveriee reveriee , natasha. natasha. , A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba and their partners (there are certainly more out there, but they are the first that came to mind). Melpomene Melpomene is fantastic for more fantasy-settings. Viper Viper is damn good at writing detailed, lengthy replies. s e v e n s e v e n is great when it comes to fancy writing, especially for more historical settings. Also, Lucyfer Lucyfer is good when it comes to capturing a character's emotions, reactions and the world around them without dragging things, but she mostly does fandom stuff, so I don't know how willing you are to read through that just for the writing.

oh .////. im so honoured !!!! this is gonna make my MONTH
and to op! i'd recommend sky castle which is an rp that includes 4 of the modern writers mentioned by asteria (not a self-plug i swear) run by A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba and Stardust Galaxy Stardust Galaxy (who are both great writers too!!!!!)

i feel like most of the people i look up to have already been mentioned in the thread (adding on neon reverie neon reverie who i could gush abt forever + a few others who im too shy to tag but they should know who they r.)

a lil off-topic probably, but i'd echo what the others have said about joining roleplays to find good writers yourselves and trusting your intuition when you just browse through the forums! many of the writer-friends i admire i discovered by having the opportunity to write with them! especially since you've mentioned that you're just new to RPing on forums but not writing in general, i think being able to build experience first-hand might be the best way to go! you'll get the hang of it real fast, so don't be too worried about whether you're "up-to-standards" or anything and just.,., seek out anyone you think might be nice to write with :"")
watch me cry. T.T
im so ajeoaihsbw I can't. I've learned so much from theses people mentioned (and the ones I'd tag). They've helped me grow so much as a writer. Honestly, it's about having fun. The best way to grow is simply just write and enjoy yourself while doing it! It's not about being a quote "good writer" (always strive to do your best tho). Everyone builds their styles with time and practice.

Stellar Nursery Stellar Nursery is another writer I ADORE.
Love, your secret admirer is honestly so much fun with her! All the characters are lovely with a lot of baggage to unpack eventually.

i feel so bad for a self plug. BUT, I'm so incredibly proud of the chaoticly beautiful energy in
chasing clout(s) with my QUEEN neon reverie neon reverie . It's my current favorite obsession. So if you like to hate absolutely every side character in a tiktok house (except my kings nate and mac and cheese), with drama and angst then check it out and stalk us. 😂

i honestly feel so flattered. 😭 Please don't expect too much ;-; you will probably be disappointed 🤡✌️

Because I somehow managed to get so many responses and reacts, I want to say it once more: YOU ARE DAMN GREAT WRITERS and I love how my post got completed with more names and roleplays xD I follow everyone's projects that have been mentioned here, so I am glad to see them all pop up <3

I already gush about Melpomene Melpomene 's writing all the time, so she knows how I feel about her writing, but Viper Viper , s e v e n s e v e n , Uxie Uxie , A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba and everyone that has reacted, I am glad that I brought a bit of happiness by mentioning you <3 no need to thank me or feel flattered, JUST KNOW Y'ALL'S WORTH. Thank you.

But, just as Uxie Uxie and A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba mentioned, it is good to simply just write and see where it takes you. Also, do not refrain from contacting someone if you enjoy their roleplays or their writing, especially if they have a search thread up and it is still open! I met some people by reading their roleplays first and just then looking to see if they have a search thread up and running, lmao.

i'd recommend sky castle which is an rp that includes 4 of the modern writers mentioned by asteria (not a self-plug i swear) run by A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba A ameuSHhen1Tn2ba and Stardust Galaxy Stardust Galaxy Stardust Galaxy Stardust Galaxy (who are both great writers too!!!!!)
I do read this one, 11/10, I will wait in the shadows for more updates
i feel so bad for a self plug. BUT, I'm so incredibly proud of the chaoticly beautiful energy in chasing clout(s) with my QUEEN neon reverie neon reverie neon reverie neon reverie .
👁👄👁 I see tik tok and e-boys, I press like. adding this to my list

watch me cry. T.T
im so ajeoaihsbw I can't. I've learned so much from theses people mentioned (and the ones I'd tag). They've helped me grow so much as a writer. Honestly, it's about having fun. The best way to grow is simply just write and enjoy yourself while doing it! It's not about being a quote "good writer" (always strive to do your best tho). Everyone builds their styles with time and practice.

Stellar Nursery Stellar Nursery is another writer I ADORE.
Love, your secret admirer is honestly so much fun with her! All the characters are lovely with a lot of baggage to unpack eventually.

i feel so bad for a self plug. BUT, I'm so incredibly proud of the chaoticly beautiful energy in
chasing clout(s) with my QUEEN neon reverie neon reverie . It's my current favorite obsession. So if you like to hate absolutely every side character in a tiktok house (except my kings nate and mac and cheese), with drama and angst then check it out and stalk us. 😂

i honestly feel so flattered. 😭 Please don't expect too much ;-; you will probably be disappointed 🤡
andsfkjkjdsd thank you ily (╥﹏╥) i really admire you so it makes me so happy to hear that you like my writing!

i'd like to add that since there's not really a universal standard of what 'good quality writing' is, i'd recommend that you look for people whose writing you personally enjoy and rp with them! i find that my writing improves by leaps and bounds when i have a partner who i can learn from and have fun with :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back