• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Godspeed! - IC Thread

Uquonta

The minotaur's concerns were my first ones as well, after hearing that lord's request. It was good that he was willing to tell us more after all and we wouldn't have to depart blindly, but what he shared left as confused as I was shocked: He didn't simply want us to let him die, he wanted us to aid in it from the sounds of it. Why would anyone desire their own death? At death's door, even a proud hunter, who covered his house in trophies and asked to be addressed by titles rather than his name, would be give up so much to see another dawn. Yet this one foresaw his own demise and proceeded to ask for us to help in it.

Though he attempted to clarify how we could even proceed after such an event, it wasn't that satisfying.

"Your "associate" is supposed to guide us? But YOU are the one who knows the prophecy! You are the one that saw the prophecy... weren't you? And you refuse to tell us nomatter what, so you wouldn't have told others either... And he can't even talk. Also we can't see him. Or hear him. How could he guide us like that? ... Is it because of those bindings?... What kind of bindings are those?" The questions just blurted out, but after a moment to catch my breath, a thought began to form. I shook my head, letting something but not quite like a newfound calm wash over me. Perhaps 'resignation' was a good word for it. You don't put beings in bindings for good things. Whether those beings are bad or the people doing the binding are bad, my gut told me this was trouble. But, whatever the case might be, they certainly wouldn't tell us honestly. They would lie or dodge the subject, that's what people did. I sighed. "No, forget about it. I guess it's not that important right now."

I gave the blind boy a little glare.

"If you are supposed to die tonight anyway... What do you want from us? You said the prophecy said this would happen, and prophecies come true when they are real, so could we not just go to sleep and let it happen without interfering?"

__medusa_shingeki_no_bahamut_and_2_more_drawn_by_hisakata_souji__d3461569f0d2a595988c2cd22e4cf-jpg.960075

Proficiency Bonus: +2
Hit Points: 40 / 40
Hit Dice: 4d10 / 4d10
Armor Class: 15
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft
Passive Perception: 14
Spellcasting Ability: Wis
Spellsave DC: 13
Spell Attack Bonus: +5
Spell Points: 1/8

---------------------

myrkwise myrkwise

Wesley shook his head, "You misunderstand the nature of prophecies, for the future is not merely a singular line jutting out into the horizon, but a thousand, perhaps a million possibilities, all branching off of one another and intermingling. The prophecy I saw gave me snippets into perhaps a few hundred of the most likely timelines - most with very little context attached. Alas, in the futures I saw, there existed several key events that had to transpire in a certain fashion, or the world would be doomed to certain oblivion. Even I am not quite certain of why this is the case, but it is nonetheless the reality we face. One of these key events just happens to be my demise - and not only my demise itself, but one that results in every single one of my assassins getting away unseen and undisturbed."

"As for my associate...."

Another faint gust of wind could be felt throughout the halls.

"He is... You can consider him an extension of my will, for that is all he is at this point. He is privy to my knowledge, though he obviously lacks my full mortal capacities. Once I perish, I expect for him to become more accessible to you as well."

Just then, the caws of a half dozen songbirds could be heard, seeming to originate from a far-off room. Wesley let off a faint smile.

"Ah! The time seems to have arrived."

At that point, the hurried footsteps of what seemed to be dozens of servants could be heard bustling through the estate.

"The hour has arrived for the.... erm, 'nightly festivities.' I'd expect guests to arrive in.... oh, say, twenty minutes or so? I of course welcome you all to stay around - it will most likely be the last of such grand parties, after all. And of course.... my assailants will be in attendance as well.

Uquonta

Well, wasn't that a whole lot of sheep manure.

If a prophecy couldn't foretell the future, what was a prophecy for? Nothing but empty words, and I had been taught better than to trust the words of who come to foretell what we must and musn't do, with lies and unfulfilled claims. It hurt to think it of that small, insignificant, preposterous chance they might be speaking the truth, but if I was led by nose by them I would just end up their workhorse with no end in sight- not even the world's. Nonetheless, I had agreed to work for this one, and if all he needed was to ensure his death, strange though it might be I would have to go along with it.

Aaaaaaah, Rrrrrrrgh! Damn those thoughts kept endlessly getting in my head like rain through a broken roof. How were we supposed to know who was or not that part of those to-be-killers? Or that the deed had been done? If he didn't want any of them to be seen or stopped, why couldn't he just send the guards away for a day then? I mean, if we did something to keep them off the tails of those pink paw people or whatever they were called, wouldn't WE be the ones who would end up being suspicious? We'd end up looking like the bad guys, not them! It's not like he could tell the guards and those other people about this "prophecy" of his, right? So they would for sure think we had something to do with it, and come after us not who they were supposed to! And then there was that ever-so-confusing stuff with the "associate"....

"Well, you- "

But I was cut off by the sound of some kind of birds (action), followed by a herd of footsteps. Wait, there were guests coming?! My spine chilled. Earlier relief had washed over me, thinking the 'party' was merely a pretense for the people invited by those letters to meet, but now it was swiftly drained away, leaving me eyes widened. A party would definitely mean lots of people around and since I was already here I would have a hard time just hiding somewhere. What should I ask about? How to avoid getting the guards set on us as accomplices? How to avoid the party people? I doubted I would have time for more than one question.

"Ah, wait, before you go!" The decision pounded on my mind. Well, if I could avoid being recognized, then they wouldn't come after me anyway, right? "Is there somewhere private I could stay? Parties have... lots of people... "

__medusa_shingeki_no_bahamut_and_2_more_drawn_by_hisakata_souji__d3461569f0d2a595988c2cd22e4cf-jpg.960075

---------------------

myrkwise myrkwise

Uquonta

Well, wasn't that a whole lot of sheep manure.

If a prophecy couldn't foretell the future, what was a prophecy for? Nothing but empty words, and I had been taught better than to trust the words of who come to foretell what we must and musn't do, with lies and unfulfilled claims. It hurt to think it of that small, insignificant, preposterous chance they might be speaking the truth, but if I was led by nose by them I would just end up their workhorse with no end in sight- not even the world's. Nonetheless, I had agreed to work for this one, and if all he needed was to ensure his death, strange though it might be I would have to go along with it.

Aaaaaaah, Rrrrrrrgh! Damn those thoughts kept endlessly getting in my head like rain through a broken roof. How were we supposed to know who was or not that part of those to-be-killers? Or that the deed had been done? If he didn't want any of them to be seen or stopped, why couldn't he just send the guards away for a day then? I mean, if we did something to keep them off the tails of those pink paw people or whatever they were called, wouldn't WE be the ones who would end up being suspicious? We'd end up looking like the bad guys, not them! It's not like he could tell the guards and those other people about this "prophecy" of his, right? So they would for sure think we had something to do with it, and come after us not who they were supposed to! And then there was that ever-so-confusing stuff with the "associate"....

"Well, you- "

But I was cut off by the sound of some kind of birds (action), followed by a herd of footsteps. Wait, there were guests coming?! My spine chilled. Earlier relief had washed over me, thinking the 'party' was merely a pretense for the people invited by those letters to meet, but now it was swiftly drained away, leaving me eyes widened. A party would definitely mean lots of people around and since I was already here I would have a hard time just hiding somewhere. What should I ask about? How to avoid getting the guards set on us as accomplices? How to avoid the party people? I doubted I would have time for more than one question.

"Ah, wait, before you go!" The decision pounded on my mind. Well, if I could avoid being recognized, then they wouldn't come after me anyway, right? "Is there somewhere private I could stay? Parties have... lots of people... "

---------------------

myrkwise myrkwise

Wesley blinked.

"If you would like somewhere private to stay during the party, I would suggest staying in one of my quarters - the only ones permitted to enter are myself and those I specifically grant permission to."

Uquonta

"C-could you please take me there then. Or have someone do it." I advanced a bit, as though to put a bit of pressure. I didn't want to waste time and let there be a chance someone might spot me that I didn't want seeing me or the things I wanted to hide. That being said... I turned to the others. "You can come too... I think. We can plan there, and go the party after, if you want. Don't mind if you wanna go to the party right away instead though.

---------------------

myrkwise myrkwise

Uquonta

"C-could you please take me there then. Or have someone do it." I advanced a bit, as though to put a bit of pressure. I didn't want to waste time and let there be a chance someone might spot me that I didn't want seeing me or the things I wanted to hide. That being said... I turned to the others. "You can come too... I think. We can plan there, and go the party after, if you want. Don't mind if you wanna go to the party right away instead though.

---------------------

myrkwise myrkwise
Wesley affirmed, "Of course, I shall take you there as soon as is convenient, as well as the others if need be. Though I shall have to leave right after for the party."

Mor'du smoothly stands up, saying, "I feel that I am not well dressed for any party. Chain mail and a greatsword do not make for a very festive outfit, so I, too, will avoid attending if it is all the same to you, my Lord." He wonders just how in Hades that he is supposed to sit back and let this man get murdered and do nothing about it. The very thought rankles on him, and he is not very happy about it.

Mor'du smoothly stands up, saying, "I feel that I am not well dressed for any party. Chain mail and a greatsword do not make for a very festive outfit, so I, too, will avoid attending if it is all the same to you, my Lord." He wonders just how in Hades that he is supposed to sit back and let this man get murdered and do nothing about it. The very thought rankles on him, and he is not very happy about it.
Wesley raised an eyebrow at that.

"If lack of clothing is your concern, I have plenty to spare. But it's no great matter of mine - do what you please, for now at least."

The first few servants started to pour into the main halls, as Wesley took a stance and glanced upwards into a higher floor, up a set of staircases.

"If you wish to find seclusion, please follow me."

despite their frown, marianne moved to follow wesley "If you /are/ going to die tonight, than you have to tell us what to look for." despite the youth's nobility, he looked practically a boy. he should not have to die. they could... fake his death? he clearly had information, and the way he offered himself up to die meant that he most assueredly believed wholeheartedly in the accuracy of his profecys.

despite their frown, marianne moved to follow wesley "If you /are/ going to die tonight, than you have to tell us what to look for." despite the youth's nobility, he looked practically a boy. he should not have to die. they could... fake his death? he clearly had information, and the way he offered himself up to die meant that he most assueredly believed wholeheartedly in the accuracy of his profecys.
Wesley spoke as he continued to ascend the stairs, his voice kept to a near mumble in order to avoid rousing the guards and servants.

“When I pass, I expect my associate to be able to convey what information I have now. Of course, that doesn’t mean I can’t share anything now…. But do be aware, simply because of the nature of prophecies, what I know on my own is scant already.”

“There are five major events that I have seen. The first is the series of assassinations in this very principality, the second is some matter of chancellory succession in the League, the third relates to the outcome of the civil war in Xianshiroa, the fourth has something to do with the Zanukai and their expansionary plans, and the fifth is something I can barely discern, but am sure it has something to do with the Salt Flats.”

“Keep in mind that the context behind these images are sparse and unclear - your specific aims may not have anything in particular to do with the events in question.”

Delja is feeling quite troubled. It is not a happy moment for her to hear that this man is 'supposed' to be assassinated and there is nothing to be done about it.

She says, "I don't think I can sit back in your party and just let someone kill you and do nothing to stop it. I'll sit back and wait with the others until this . . . event is over with."

Delja is feeling quite troubled. It is not a happy moment for her to hear that this man is 'supposed' to be assassinated and there is nothing to be done about it.

She says, "I don't think I can sit back in your party and just let someone kill you and do nothing to stop it. I'll sit back and wait with the others until this . . . event is over with."

"Don't fret. I feel far worse for you than I do for myself." Wesley noted, as he finally reached the room in question, which he promptly opened the door of, revealing a fairly luxurious seeming abode, with three separate beds and enough space for at least two average peasant families to live comfortably within.

Before going into the room, Delja looks up at Wesley with a sad expression, asking, "Is there anything we can do to make this better? Fake your death somehow, perhaps? I don't wish to see you die if it can be avoided."

Before going into the room, Delja looks up at Wesley with a sad expression, asking, "Is there anything we can do to make this better? Fake your death somehow, perhaps? I don't wish to see you die if it can be avoided."
Wesley chuckled for a moment before pausing, "I don't want to give you false hope. What I've said to you is quite clear - there's no future I saw in which this assassination doesn't go perfectly. Could it be possible that the visions I saw of my bloody corpse in each and every timeline that wasn't doomed to fail were merely a cruel trick? Quite possibly so. It could also be the case that there's simply yet another timeline I haven't glimpsed, one in which I can get out of his situation scotch free, and the world is allowed to live on. But are you willing to make that bet? That call?"

Uquonta

"Ooooh... This... This is a bedroom?!" I hurried inside, eyes darting everywhere. I knew rich people had a lot of strange things and big houses, but to think the room was this big too! It had several beds though, so perhaps it was intended for guests. I approach one of the beds, feeling how soft it was with a poke. With something that clean, soft and fancy-looking, I found myself hesitating to take a seat. I was so dirty, wouldn't I ruin that kind of priceless thing? Perhaps one day I would own one of those myself, and then it probably wouldn't matter, but for now... "I guess I'll just stand for a little longer."

Meanwhile, Deljammercraft kept insisting on trying to find some way to not have to let the death come to pass. For a dwarf, that one sure was a softie. I’d heard they were hardened like the metals they loved to spend all their time forging. There were frail dwarves back at that academy too, come to think of it, maybe this is just what had become of them? Either way I held back my thoughts without speaking them, for now at least. One the host was gone I could perhaps bring up that one of his goals was likely the release of the bindings of that “associate” of his, which would seemingly require his death. The conditions for rituals were often specific, not easily cheated, lest one anger the gods or divine spirits. Fulfilling the true goal, the true thing his prophecy required to (presumably) save the world, would almost certainly require his death.

Well, that was a matter that I would have to bring up to her later. Maybe to that minotaur too, since he also seemed hesitant to take on the role we were asked to. Perhaps the lady with the dragon or that other human could help knocking those two out until the deed was done. That way at least they wouldn't try to get in the way, and they wouldn't have to go feeling guilty either. In any case, since for now the host was still with us, neither in the party nor in the next world, I still had the opportunity to make another question at least.

"How should we avoid getting targeted ourselves? By the people who will wish to bring justice to your murderers I mean. It is not as though others are aware of your request to us."

---------------------

interactions: myrkwise myrkwise
mentions: Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood PatriasLover PatriasLover Ian Temero Ian Temero

Uquonta

"Ooooh... This... This is a bedroom?!" I hurried inside, eyes darting everywhere. I knew rich people had a lot of strange things and big houses, but to think the room was this big too! It had several beds though, so perhaps it was intended for guests. I approach one of the beds, feeling how soft it was with a poke. With something that clean, soft and fancy-looking, I found myself hesitating to take a seat. I was so dirty, wouldn't I ruin that kind of priceless thing? Perhaps one day I would own one of those myself, and then it probably wouldn't matter, but for now... "I guess I'll just stand for a little longer."

Meanwhile, Deljammercraft kept insisting on trying to find some way to not have to let the death come to pass. For a dwarf, that one sure was a softie. I’d heard they were hardened like the metals they loved to spend all their time forging. There were frail dwarves back at that academy too, come to think of it, maybe this is just what had become of them? Either way I held back my thoughts without speaking them, for now at least. One the host was gone I could perhaps bring up that one of his goals was likely the release of the bindings of that “associate” of his, which would seemingly require his death. The conditions for rituals were often specific, not easily cheated, lest one anger the gods or divine spirits. Fulfilling the true goal, the true thing his prophecy required to (presumably) save the world, would almost certainly require his death.

Well, that was a matter that I would have to bring up to her later. Maybe to that minotaur too, since he also seemed hesitant to take on the role we were asked to. Perhaps the lady with the dragon or that other human could help knocking those two out until the deed was done. That way at least they wouldn't try to get in the way, and they wouldn't have to go feeling guilty either. In any case, since for now the host was still with us, neither in the party nor in the next world, I still had the opportunity to make another question at least.

"How should we avoid getting targeted ourselves? By the people who will wish to bring justice to your murderers I mean. It is not as though others are aware of your request to us."

---------------------

interactions: myrkwise myrkwise
mentions: Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood PatriasLover PatriasLover Ian Temero Ian Temero

“Upon my death, I shall leave a will entrusting this estate to you - the sheer wealth you’ll be endowed with should keep most of those who are interested in finding justice for me away. Of course, it may be the case that some might find my assassination to be a potential ploy on your part - at which case I believe the best course of action would simply be to cooperate with any investigators to the best of your ability.”

“And if the worst comes, my associate will do everything he can to protect you.”

At this, Wesley exited the room, returning to the quickly developing party below and leaving the party to rest.

Delja looks to be on the verge of tears as Lord Wesley leaves the room. The whole frustrating part of this is her total inability to make things better, and just letting him go walking off and get killed by some halflings is just totally wrong to her. She looks to the others in the room before saying, "I don't understand! How is it that we cannot take steps to keep the Lord alive? Look at us, just sitting here. This is so . . . wrong!"

yet, just before wesley could leave, almost on instinct, "Leon" reached out to grab his arm. in hindsight, they weren't sure why... they had no reason too... but then... it was wrong to let an innocent die... wesley wasn't an innocent, he was a lord, a noble, an exploiter, and a guardian of the archaic institution of the aristocracy. but he was... probably younger than them. and... as far as they could tell... he meant well.

with a slow sigh, Marianne released their grip on his arm, finger by finger "i... wish it did not have to come down to this. I am... sorry. you seem a... good... man... even though you are a noble..." they met his eyes, voice slightly stammering, a little uncomfeterble... but honest.

Psychie Psychie PatriasLover PatriasLover

Wesley did not do anything for quite some time, his eyes downcast and nearly shut entirely, appearing nearly consumed in thought. Then, he spoke, his tone clearly weak and filled with barely held-back emotion.

"I.... I have to admit, this has proven to be more difficult for me than I had anticipated. Even though it's necessary to save the world, I...."

His gaze, which held just the barest hint of tears, shot forth and met Marianne directly. It was a hollow gaze.

"I don't want to die, I do think."

Lilith Falciani

HP: 26
AC: 12

Passive Perception: 13

Spell Slots
1st: 4/4
2nd: 2/2

Familiar

HP:
AC: 15

Passive Perception: 13

Lilith was hating this job more and more with each passing moment. As before there was too little information but on top of that they had to make sure their employer dies? It left a bad taste in her mouth, especially after Wesley admitted that he didn't want to die.

"Then don't." Lilith finally said, shrugging off her pack and letting it drop to the ground. She walked over to the closet and opened it, shifting through the clothes inside while Ixen perched on top, transmitting concern for the halfling to the occupants of the room. "Prophesy be damned. World be damned. It's your life. Then again it's also your choice." Finding a dark blue dress she liked she started undoing the buckles on her outfit.

"Do what you feel you have to." She said as she slipped out of her vest. Gods knew she was going to do what she needed to.

Wesley stood in silence for a minute, his expression pensive and full of thought. Finally, he spoke.

"Maybe so."

Then he slipped through the door, closing it on his way out, and leaving the party inside the room.

marianne watched him leave silently, before turning to the other party members "do... any of you... know of a way to.. fake a body? i will... be willing to play the part of the assassin. but... can the rest of you smugle him out?" was Marianne willing to put themselves at risk for a person, a noble they met mere minutes ago, while in the same moment, relying on a mostly crew of... for all they knew, reactionarys and slavers? well... mari was nothing if not... impulsive... damn, that martyr complex will kill them at some point... that doesn't matter, though. as the other human, Lilith said, it was a matter of choice.

Uquonta

I fidgeted in place, wanting to scratch something just to occupy my idle hands, something, anything to distract me from the thoughts. After all, I could tell where this was going, and it wasn't good. Were they spitting on the man's determination? He sought to save the world, and was prepared to give his life to achieve that, yet they spoke of dissuading him, of faking his demise. Did they not understand the problem here? His death wasn't necessary just because he saw it happen. It would unshackle his associate, likely key to prophecy as well. And it couldn't be some random... whoever and whatever that "Leon" person was, that could kill him, it had to be someone from that group, or things would misalign with the prophecy, if not outright with whatever ritual the man wanted to perform. Yet, much as the thought swirled in my mind, I couldn't speak them. I might not be fastest arrow to reach the trunk, but even I could tell that they would view with me with suspicious, or animosity at the very least for insisting upon the death they sought to avoid, merely on the word of someone who said they did not wish for it... but nonetheless found it necessary.

I suppose, for now, I had little choice but to cooperate with them. Pretend to at least. Maybe I could more gradually dissuade them from attempting to change the known way to save the world, in their quest to save the man they (I presumed) met today.

"Don't need to fake one. You could dig one. This is a big house, from a rich man. They might not bury their dead far from their garden. Dig the right one, put it on the right clothes and burn it. Who would know the bones and burnt flesh apart?" I delivered my suggestion while taking a seat on one of the beds, tail pushed up a little to be more parallel to my legs and thus stay well hidden, at the same time nudging my head to better my face with the hood. "Only the assassins would. They know the man well, I think. They would not be happy if you took their victim, and if you took their name into the act they were meant to commit. Not without their permission. But you can't even talk to them, since you don't know who they are."

Hopefully just saying this much wouldn't open hostilities. The best thing that could happen is that they would give up after they thought about this. Worst thing... well, it would be something to pray against.

---------------------

PatriasLover PatriasLover Ian Temero Ian Temero Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

Mor'du paces back and forth in the room, sharing in Delja's anxiety and dislike of the situation. "If there were more time, I would say that we could try to fake Lord Wesley's death somehow. But there is no time, and I for one am no thespian skilled in the arts of make-up and such that would be needed to pull this ruse off. As much as I hate to say it, we may have no choice other than to let this proceed, especially if the man's death has been foreseen somehow as a part of this upcoming disaster we need to try and stop. One life for many."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back