Glacier the dragon

Dragonborn1

For an rp I’m in The character I’m using is a dragon named Glacier. She’s a guard in my world I’m creating. A world filled with dragons. Her personality is what I need help on.
She hates showing weakness,especially to her foes. All she knows is combat, because she’s been in the guard most of her life. Since her father gave her away to the guard.

(Is this too edgy?)

For an rp I’m in The character I’m using is a dragon named Glacier. She’s a guard in my world I’m creating. A world filled with dragons. Her personality is what I need help on.
She hates showing weakness,especially to her foes. All she knows is combat, because she’s been in the guard most of her life. Since her father gave her away to the guard.

(Is this too edgy?)
Dragonborn1,

I don't think it's too edgy at all! Developing the personality of your character can be challenging-- but it can also be great fun! You may find that once the ideas get flowing the different aspects of your character's personality just find a way of fitting themselves together. But here's a few tips for defining your character that I've found helpful in my writing:

1. Give your character a goal. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but giving your character something to pursue gives them a purpose, and makes for a more compelling character arc. Think about characters that inspire you-- what drives them? What would give your character ambition? What is something they want more than anything else in the world?

2. Give your character a conflict. An enemy, a grudge, something that stops your character from achieving their goals. Giving your character conflict gives them the opportunity to overcome adversity, and it makes for more interesting storytelling. A character's morals and values can come to light when they're faced with a tough decision. Your character's conflict may even correspond with your character's goal-- say, their goal is to avenge themselves against someone who has wronged them.

3. Give your character flaws. Nobody likes a mary-sue. Making an all-powerful, perfect character may be fun for a short while, but if everything comes easily to them they'll never develop. Give your character flaws they need to overcome, this gives them room to grow, and learn. Give your characters bad habits or vices that cause them conflict. A character's flaws makes them relatable, and a character who is able to achieve despite their flaws is fun to root for.

4. Foil. Introduce a secondary character who presents some contrast to your main character. A foil may have opposite traits that highlight attributes of your main character. For example, a side character with immense greed may effectively showcase the generosity of your main character, or a side character with impeccable charm may highlight your main character's social clumsiness. Use other characters to question and reveal the traits, flaws, and morals of your main character.

5. Inner conflict. This is conflict that takes place entirely within the mind of your character. Inner conflict gives a character just as much opportunity to grow as outer conflict, but is more personalized. It implies a transformation of the self, and lends the ability for a character to express doubt, fear, and uncertainty. A character who questions their abilities, beliefs, and values is generally more interesting to read about than a character who is sure of themselves 100% of the time.

I hope that helps! For further reading you can check out GojiBean GojiBean 's tutorial on character development (link), DividesByZer0 DividesByZer0 's guide on awesome characters (link), or Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak 's golden rules on the subject (link). Happy roleplaying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back