• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Giant robots are my religion

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey, do you like giant robots? Do you want to BE a giant robot? You may have seen this interest check from last year. I've been working on this idea on and off over the past year, but I've decided to yeet caution to the wind and just run the damn thing already.

You are a giant robot.

In an alternate timeline in which the Cold War never quite ended, you rolled off the production line ready to destroy other robots in the name of your nation's interests - probably oil, honestly.

Unfortunately, World War 3 turned the planet into a Fallout game, and anybody who could afford it evacuated onto cruise spaceships, Martian colonies, etc... or just died. There was a lot of dying.

During a major battle, you were knocked offline. You're not entirely sure what did you in.

One thousand years later, between a solar flare and solid whack from an illiterate farmer's hoe, you have reactivated.

First order of business: assess and repair damages. Second order: Let your boss know you're back online. Third order: Search and destroy.

Of course, we wouldn't have a story if it were this simple, now would we?

Tech Level

Past the few cities left, you might as well be in Amish country. Humanity has recovered some technology, but there's a sore lack of coal, steel, and oil due to the climate crisis. The few working radios are jealously guarded by an elite class of a new nobility. The loss of education means an inability to reestablish the internet. There are no functional factories for semiconductors, you would be lucky to recreate a vacuum tube computer.

On the other hand, the nanites have bred like rabbits. Disfigured humans have prosthetic limbs made of "living metal" blessed by a priest, but they shun your explanations of what nanobots even are. It works because they pray, and honestly, how can you compete with an old mural of what you're pretty sure is a meme of Obi-Wan looking like Jesus? How do you even explain memes without an internet? Or who Obi-Wan is? Or what a neural interface or parasitic relationship is and why their priest is actually - ugh. Farmers.

You look up at the sky. You can't see the stars past all the trash flying in low orbit. Your signals can't seem to bounce past the sheer amount of debris. If there's a Martian colony, then where the hell are they?

Inspiration list:
  • Laputa: Castle in the Sky
  • Transformers
  • Warhammer
  • Borderlands
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Fallout
  • Dragonriders of Pern
  • literally any mecha anime you can think of

I'm interested, though I do have to ask, what size are the PC mechs on average and what kind of weapon systems do we have? Giant cannons, laser/plasma weapons, energy projectors, or a good ol 20mm autocannon?

I'm interested, though I do have to ask, what size are the PC mechs on average and what kind of weapon systems do we have? Giant cannons, laser/plasma weapons, energy projectors, or a good ol 20mm autocannon?
Great question! I struggled with those details for a while. I ended up taking a cue from some tabletop games and decided that we would use D&D categories of size. The boundaries are a little fuzzy but they are as follows:
  • Tiny: Roomba, drones, that iDog toy from around 2003, about that size
  • Small: From about knee to countertop height, maybe the Boston Dynamic robodogs are a good example
  • Medium: Human sized. Most Iron Man suits, Zenyatta and Bastion from Overwatch.
  • Large: Bigger than a man, smaller than a truck.
  • Huge: Bigger than a truck or full length bus (about 50ft). I'd put most Transformers characters near here.
  • Gargantuan: House-sized or larger.
Weapon: When in doubt, err on the side of less fantastical. That being said, these robots were produced around the year 2050 to 2100, and lasers are cool. A running theme of the RP is that the uneducated people think player characters are divine beings, and that as robots, our characters will be struggling to fix the damage from a thousand years of sleep mode. So, it would be very satisfying, I think, to finally get a plasma chainsaw arm attachment working in the middle of a battle.

DR - 894212, Designated for Medical Service amongst the 78th Infantry division, Yellow Regiment, ready for duty.

Start bookmarking!

Main:
Futuristic - A Purpose Under Heaven

OOC:

Lore:

Profiles:

sci-fi japanese GIF by MANGOTEETH

Closing out this interest thread! From here on out, anyone who would like to join the RP should skip this thread and head straight to the OOC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back