Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobi, who is still sulking a little petulantly from being made when he was trying to avoid notice, joins the rest of the group and listens to the speech from the back with his arms crossed. Ghost stories and the like were things that smugglers used to keep people away from certain dump spots or easily landed coves but this was overland and his expertise with, well pretty much everything, lay on the water having spent the majority of his life on boats. He looks to the young man, who looks even younger than himself, with a bit of wonder. Another member of the council, dangerous to be playing on two separate fronts but maybe Gellan would allow him to go and do this job if it meant profit for the town.

The half-elf raises his hand from the back of the group and speaks cautiously at first but it soon fits into his usual bouncy pattern. "So... you want us to go and take a look? If ya don't mind me asking why us? This is an overland job and most of us are seafarers from what I know, at least I know Teebs and I are." There is a pause and a small shrug. "Also I work for Gellan, if he hasn't allowed this expedition... well I just don't want to lose my job is all. I know I'm only a shipper and a deckhand but it pays the bills ya know? Not that this would be the first haunted house I've cleared out but that one was out west at the end of a journey with Pa and Oli and Mat. It went okay, so I've got experience just asking the questions. Not meaning to be rude at all." He gives Anders a smile, now moving into his more familiar territory. "Treasure might be nice, we get to keep it right? I wonder what it will be, I found a ruby the size of my fist in a sunken chest once whilst diving but just as I was coming up to surface it was snatched off me by an eel the size of my arm. Would be nice to have something like that ruby again ya know?" There is a small realization that he is drawing focus to himself in a room full of people not at his usual place and he comes to a stop. He moves back into his place from before and tries to reclaim some air of quiet mystery.

Amy sits and listens to the proposal, though all she can think,of the entire time is, I'm not an investigator, I'm just a cook. Her look of confusion would be noticeable to any who looked at her. Thinking long and hard about it, though, she realized that she *did* have some skills that would be beneficial, and she could not tolerate slavers, no matter what.

"I'll elp out any way ah can, Mistah Anders, though one uf us should probly clear it with ma boss." She slurred a bit more than normal, but her conviction was clear as she held on to her necklace shaped like an anvil with a flame on top of it.

Standing at ease, Sil listens to Anders speak. Having grown up in Saltmarsh he had heard the rumors of the Alchemist's house. Just never had much reason to go up there himself. However, if the building was being used by the Sea Princes, it had to be eliminated. That was one of the primary roles of the Marines. Protecting the town and the coast from their evil depredations. The house would definitely need to be explored. The question that he asked himself was 'How do I convince the Captains, to allow me to go explore? Maybe if request a day off?
"Mr. Anders, I wish to investigate this with the others. As a member of the town's defensive forces, we can not allow the Sea Princes to get a foothold this close to the town."

As the others spoke, TBD continued to drink her wine. Hearing the rest offer their aid, the Triton nodded, "Ae wille helppe too. Ae doubtte we shalle be heading outte tonightte, yeas? Ae'd need mie things, and perhaps we mightte need to figure outte travel and supplies. Ae've heard manie stories of this place since Ae arrived, mostte barelie gette through the doore before turning backe."

Swirling the drink in her mug she studied the young lord, "Wille we be under anything official? Inne case someone asks?"

TBD's question seems to fluster the young man. "Oh umh, well technically you'd just be working for me. However if you find something I'm sure the town council would see you suitably rewarded."

Remembering some of the others concerns, "of course not tonight. The Storm has gotten worse, and after your earlier heroics I imagine you need some rest. However I would appreciate you heading out as soon at the storm passes. Perhaps in the morning?" The suggestion hangs in the air for a moment, the party you just left seems to be dying down in your absence.

"What sort of supplies would you require? I'm sure Mister Wavechasser, my manservant, would be more then happy to assist you with any provisions"

Dagger ponders everything and nods in agreement "in the morning?" He says Anders voice, "can be...done"

"Mr. Anders and others, Thank you. I have to report to the Captains at 0800 but should be ready to go by 1000. Tomorrow was not my normal day for scheduled duty, so I should be able to attend with no issue. I'll inform the Captains that you are requesting my services for the day." The Marine spoke quickly and crisply.

The Snapping line: day 1 evening
"well..." looking to the members of your assembled group. "I thank you for your time, if you have any special request please leave them with Mr. Wavechasser. Now if you will excuse me, the hour grows late and I have many things to do tomorrow."
He leaves the room through a previously unnoticed side door leading into the street.

Skerrin takes the time to go over the local area with the group, and explain more minor details, such as the limited approaches to the house. After a few minutes it seems as if his job is done,.

"I would like to thank you all, from myself personally. Young Master Anders is very dear to me and this means a great deal. Given your recent actions, I know we can rely on you to get the job done." There is an almost paternal tone to his voice, yet his face remains a buisness like mask.
"If you will excuse me, I must return to him, before it is too late."

Left alone in the keg room of the snapping line, your thoughts dwell on what the morrow may bring. Wealth? Fame? Death? Only the gods will know.
The rest of the night passes without incident and slowely you all make your way back to your abodes...

Hoolwatch Tower:
Sil finds themselves in front of a 60-foot-tall tower. The first defensive building of Saltmarsh, it still serves as an armory and lookout as well as the official base of the town guard. The Marines have also made their temporary home here.
On your left as you enter the building is a job board, every page neatly squared with the one next to it.

Your meeting with Captain Stoutly is brief but purposeful. You have their support looking into the Sea Princes slave ring, and they wish to be informed the second you know more. You also find out that the previous nights fishing ship went down. There are plans for recovery within the next few days, as it sunk in the harbour creating a problem for larger ships. The quartermaster issues you your rations and ammunition for the trip and wishes you luck.

Quietly smiling as he leaves the Captains office, he heads to the rendezvous with the others for the journey to the house. He ensured that his weapons are prepared, and brought some extra rope and a medical kit. Being prepared for almost any contingency had been beaten into his brain by his Sergeants. He could almost hear Sergeant Frests yelling at him about what is expected of Marines, and the roles that they serve, whether on land or on the sea. Ropes, grappling hooks ('not making that mistake again'), prepared weapons, oiled and sharp. Time to wake up and get serious!
'Aye Aye Sergeant!' I'll get it done! I will bring them back alive and we'll figure out what's going on at that house!'

Alchemists Mansion: Day 2 Morning
The road to the house winds through the rocky coastal terrain, often offering a view of the sea below. Low clouds press upon you; occasional patches of sunlight appear out over the water. A stiff wind blows in off the waves, carrying the briny stink of churning salt water. Last night's storm has moved on.

The decrepit house sits on the highest ground in the area. Around it, a stone wall has crumbled in many places, exposing the interior grounds. An ornate metal gate lies open at the end of the road, swaying slightly in the wind. Wild flora grows throughout the inner yard, but all the years cannot hide the evidence of a well-tended garden that once sat here. Near the house, the rotted wooden roof of a water well rises out of the tall grass.

Adjusting her gear as it rested across her, TBD studied the house for a moment until shifting her gaze to try and spot any traces of recent activity. Pacing for a little bit she eventually sighed, "Apologies, mie skills do notte always workke thee bestte on land. Thee storme thatte came through lastte nightte Ae feele removed anie obvious tracks."

---

Seeing the creatures move to attack, TBD was slow on the draw, distracted as one of the weasels went to bite her on the leg, nipping at her skin where the armor was open for her fins. Cursing under her breath in Aquan, she kicked the creature away, watching as it was killed and the others put to sleep.

Though there was little honor to it, she drew her longsword and stabbed downwards at one of the creatures, ending its life with a clean swing. Wiping her blade on the fur of the dead critter, she returned her weapon to its sheath. "Welle, here's hoping thatte's thee onlie creatures here we neede to worrie aboutte."

Last edited:
Before Dagger knows what to do, weasels charge. Then pass out. Well, most of them do, to make himself useful he draws his rapier and stabs the only weasel that was awake, neutralizing the threat.

As the others finish the sleeping ones, he cleans his blade and re-sheathes the blade. He scans the distance for anymore movement but sees none. So he snaps his fingers for attention, points to himself, and mimes sneaking to see if the group wishes him to scout ahead.

Amethyst stuck behind Sil as the others began searching the grounds of the house. When the weasels attacked, she quickly used a radiant flame to attempt to scare them off, but it seemed to only anger them more. Suddenly, Sil's music caused the creatures to pass out, but Amy saw no other option but to ensure that herself and her new friends were safe, so she swung down with her warhammer, putting the final creature out of its misery. She nodded at TBD, frowning at the whole situation. When Dagger tried to get their attention, Amy grumbled, "yeah, you migh as well check the place out, ya glorified seagull."

Examining the area, Sil realized that the heavy rains from the night before would have washed away footprints. However, thinking of his elvin heritage. remembered that wildlife wouldn't be around a haunted house. the undead would drive them away or devour their tiny spirits. As he looked for animal tracks he saw a group of weasels. Part of him was elated, however as he tried to warn the others, the swarmed Tobias, Ms. Teshyn and himself. One managed to get. a nasty chunk of his leg and had it bleeding profusely. He focused his senses and tapped into his power and got them sleep. Fortunately the others were able to put them to down after he got them to sleep.

If this house was being used by Sea Princes then it would likely have some sort of secret entrance or hidey hole that they were using to get in and out of the house. Even with the stories of it being haunted someone would still notice a group of Sea Princes going in through the front door every once in a while. The half-elf pushes open the gate and then is suddenly swarmed by weasels, the brown beasts biting and snapping at him. Two of them pounce towards him trying to pin him down but he manages to throw them off and then unsheathes his saber, getting ready for the fight.

He swings for one of the weasels but he is far more used to fighting off pirates or other competing smugglers rather than beasts and he misses wildly. Then before he can react again they are all asleep. With a shrug and seeing that the others are dispatching the sleeping weasels, Tobi drags his saber across the throat of the nearest sleeping weasel before stepping out of the way of the blood and wiping his blade off on the fur. Well that certainly was not the start he was expecting for today but he feels good about how everything has gone at least. He looks back towards the others with a small shrug, keeping his saber out. "Shall we head forwards then? Look to this house?"

Quickly and quietly, Dagger checks the outside of the house, watching for trouble he finds 2 more doors, one to what he thinks is a kitchen and the other to a study, along with small bones around a well. Carefully he made his back to the party.

"Two...Mo...doors." he says, thinking carefully he desides on "Kitchen...and study."

The patio itself is pierced with weeds, and the stones themselves are being reclaimed by the earth. The hides give a screech of protest after being so long neglected. The door has been infected with a wet rot, and your certain if you really tried you could kick through it in one swift motion.

Leading the way into the room TBD and Tobi notice the trademark signs of a writing room or study. Against the wall under the windows sits a large wooden writing desk, partially broken and riddled with damp rot. There are three drawers in each side of the desk and a large central drawer; the latter is closed, but the others are all open—and two of them have been broken open forcibly.

The floor under your feet is covered in a thick layer of dust, much like the rest of the room. Motes swirl and launch assaults on your nostrils as you move into the space.

Walking into the house, Teshyn had switched to her longbow, still feeling the injury from before, she wasn't keen to be in the frontline if she could help it until the wound was seen to and cleaned out ... who knows what all the creatures had eaten around here.

Attempting to study the dust she didn't see anything that looked visited and mentioned as much to the party. As the others entered the triton made her way towards the bookshelves looking to see what might be on offer. Walking past the mostly empty shelving, her eye caught on one that mentioned squid ink, thinking to herself, "This ... could be useful." Pulling the book down she tucked it into her back, turning back to the others and speaking softly, "Welle? Anie one speakke ... Draconik Ae think? A booke here is written inne itte, butte Ae don'tte knowe whatte it mightte be. For anne Alchemistte, either thee importantte things were stored elsewhere, or manie have come to lootte this place alreadie."

Silraine gave the room a quick once over and then humming quietly, sent positive energy to the Kenku. Being on the lookout for traps and finding anything hidden, would be key in this room. He followed this up by directing more energy and goodwill to Tobias. He had noted that there were times in the past when he played exceptionally well or thought strongly, events were favorable for the people involved. Ms. Teshyn seemed quite happy with the tome that she found. While unable to read the book in Draconic currently, he would try to review it later when they returned from the house. Fresh eyes and a good tune seemed to help him read other documents in the past that were printed in different languages.

Pulled to the locked drawer, Dagger smiled and felt himself relax. This, I know how to do, he though as he pulled his tools, disguised as feathers on his arms, to pick the lock. He popped the drawer easily and before he could start to search the papers he felt, in his bones before his fingers, the secret compartment. "What secrets do you have my pet?" he said with a females voice before he began to try opening it. Took a moment and I 'gentle' tap but it pops open to reveal a red potion of some kind with 2 dose's in it. He pocketed it for later and went to the next door and waited.

Tobi peeks through the doorway into the hall, focusing on looking for anything that catches his eye rather than being stealthy. The first thing he notices is the dust along the floor and the boot prints in it. He suddenly feels more cautious seeing that there are other people that have been in the house recently and he is glad that he has his saber still drawn. He looks to the east first, noticing the entrance way to what he expects is the main door outside, nothing seems out of place there, the room to the west is seemingly empty too but the room across the hall in front of him looks like it could be a library with the amount of visible books he can see through the cracked door.

He ducks back into the study and looks to everyone else with the merest hint of concern before he tries to cover it up and leans nonchalantly against the door frame. When he speaks though it is in a whisper. "There are boot prints through there in the hall and it looks like the room across from us is the library but the door is cracked open. I don't think we are alone." There is a slight pause before he continues. "When I was dealing with this sort of thing on a stop during a trade mission, the people hiding in the house hid traps everywhere. We should be careful."

"Me first?" Dagger whispers to the party, he draws his dagger and motions to pass through the door. "I'll search...this area is protected." He says with 2 voices, the second has a slight tremor.

The house complains at the passing of so many people. Who ever made the tracks through here would have surely been heard if you were inside at the time.
A tentative peek inside the room reveals nothing. Passed the doorway the only thing in the room is a pile of refuse in the corner and a tattered old rug. The rug lies in the middle of the floor.

The footprints themselves stop near the rug, and then vanish into thin air.

Bold Dagger, drawn perhaps by curiosity carefully moves the rug out of the way... a door? This must be where the mysterious foot prints truely went...
Creeping closer, on the watch for any sort of indication of trap..

Boom!

A thunderous sound shakes the entire house. A prelude to the echoing etherial voice, one that shakes you to your very core.
"Welcome fools!... welcome to your death..." An irrational fear grips most of the party as you are left wondering, who or what that was...

Tobi blinks at the sound, not phased at all by it, and takes a look at the trapdoor. Seems likely that it was caused by some sort of spell, not actually by any sort of enemy. He turns to the group, expecting to see everyone feeling the same as him but the fear was obvious on everyone's faces. 'Ah. Well fuck.' Tobi frowns for a second and then puts on a big fake smile as he gestures to the trapdoor. "Don't worry, it was a magical trap that's all. There is no enemy here just a spell." He looks around hoping that would do it but an idea lodges itself in his brain, distraction was always good against fear.

"You know what I was learning how to sail, we were on a galley way out on the open sea, we came upon this old island with a ruin on it. Everyone hopped ashore of course, even me, all we wanted was some treasure and I wanted to be involved." He starts pacing back and forth, saber still out, acting out the lies. "When we got there, there was this strange voice saying we were all cursed. Scared half the crew off back to the ship but me and my big brothers we put on our bravest faces and we wandered straight to the source of the noise. Wouldn't you believe it, it was actually a cursed squirrel that had a spell shaved into his back. Well my brothers and me we chased that squirrel all over the island until we finally caught it and shaved it. The voice went straight after that. See nothing to worry about." The thin half elf grins and gestures to the door again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread