• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Ghost In The Machine

Spacekitty

Recently Resurrected Divine Feline Entity.

Ghost In The Machine
A Character-Driven Space-Opera Nation Builder. Sounds impressive, don't it?
Also; it has nothing to do with "Ghost in the Shell".
fantasy-space-art-1.jpg

Prelude

Creation, as we all know it, can be defined as an unending, ever-changing, infinitely vast concept, one that defines the universe that we live in. It's vast, boundless space is utterly brimming with organisms, life, and creatures of all kinds, each of which varying in their characteristics, but all of which being unique in some way or form. Differing personalities, ideologies, and all around, lifestyles. Due to this, an immeasurable number of groups, factions, religions, and empires have appeared all throughout the many galaxies over the years, the majority possessing home-planets and sectors, as well as advanced technological capabilities.
clouds helicopters futuristic buildings skyscrapers science fiction 1300x813 wallpaper_www.vehiclehi.com_60.jpg

With that said... it was inevitable that such distinctions would lead to conflict among the endless species populating existence. Many of the galaxies have become something of a spatial battlefield, with the ravaging of planets, sectors, and galactic locations becoming increasingly common. Corruption continues to spread throughout public space services and politics. Trades have ascended into higher levels of difficulty, as mistrust between factions solidifies through time. Morality varies heavily, some empires choosing to stick to more honorable creeds, while others... not so much...
b591bc9f8073b1be058698e3ad3b3fa2.jpg

It is a difficult time for the galaxies. What is made of it... is down to you. Be you a great leader, a soldier, a bounty hunter, a war hero, a rebel, it doesn't matter. Will you, or perhaps, your empire prevail in these times? Will it expand, to be known in history as a powerful galactic empire? Or perhaps, will it be ravaged through time, cast down into the depths of defeat by those oppose you, and laid bare in the path of another's galactic conquest. How will your choices impact creation? Your path is your own to command... choose wisely.
2015-04-09(151224)_ExplorerSML.jpg

For ancient and powerful forces beyond our control, above our limited level of understanding. amass in the shadows...

In the darkest pubs across the galaxy, where he who has the gun has the law, bards, mercenaries and shady explorers tell tales of an ancient threat closing in, their motives unknown. Tales of solar systems, entire galaxies even, ravaged by masses of soulless drones and a ship greater than that of all of man's armadas combined together. In their wake, great devices built in the center of solar systems, the masses of metal larger than the sun itself. The purpose of these devices is unknown, only the effects begin obvious. They are described as the antithesis of life itself. Everything within millions of miles of these devices seems to pause in time, even the most resilient of microbes turning to not but dust. The great nation of the galaxy are oblivious to this threat. The people continuing along their lives, unaware of the end that is rapidly approaching
Games_Bar_for_heroes_of_the_game_Star_Citizen_096752_.jpg

Prelude: The Constructors
On the surface, this universe is teeming to the brim with life. It seems almost endless, with even the darkest, most desolate and unholy worlds inhabited with resilient creatures who stand in protest against the odds, a monument to what life has accomplished. But yet, this world is sick. Even now it shudders and breaths it's last as it slowly but surely fades away into to the nothingness from which it was born..

Most are completely unaware of this, barely having the intelligence to recognize their own reflection in a puddle. But of those sentient beings that do look up at the stars with the same realization that we do. They see the sickness spreading, recognize their own eminent demise. But, they do nothing.

Truly they think nothing of it. It's how it is in their eyes, an unavoidable end, too far in the future to warrant any sort of concern. They are blind, ignorant, immature. This is where our people differ. We saw this and rather than capitulate to fate, we rose above it, taking in stride our position of the saviors of the universe... If only they saw it through our eyes.

If they did, this would be oh so much easier, so much simpler. But of course, they are blind. They have not yet opened their eyes and we begin to wonder if they ever will... But, it matters not. We will save the universe on our own if we must.

Of course to reach this end, a few must perish. But what is the loss of a few if it will save the rest? Does a rancher feel bad for killing a mad cow if it will save the rest from being infected? Do conservationists hold back from slaughtering deer populations if their only other option is starvation? This is the logic we cling to, the sympathetic salvation we give to those who must perish. Do we wish this upon them? Of course not, to do so would be cruel. We are not so, rather we are doing what's best for them, for us, and the world as a whole.

So fear not when we come, rather embrace the part you shall play in the continuation of all's existence.

Prelude 3: Transmission u87C-3a
An audio file received from an unknown nation in uncharted space by Facility 26-D.

>--//-
>--/..// System boot.exe
>--Transmission received...extracting..
>..-/-.
>. . . Corrupted files restored
> //-- Translation complete
> --- Playing audio_file_u87C.wav ///.

Static erupts from the speakers, gargled sounds drone it and out for a few moments before the static dies down and silence ensues. Just before any who figure the audio file to be done can turn off the playback new sounds can be heard, the sound of someone fumbling with a microphone. Someone breathes into the microphone and the faint sound of sirens can be heard.

"Transmission code... Uniform.... Eight, Seven, Charlies, Hyphen Three, Alpha, start transmission. Target Destination; Beyond the outer rim. Target Audience; Any who will fucking listen..."

"Listen... Please.... Their coming for you, once they finish with us..." The voice trails off, the speaker heaving a shuddering sigh. The sirens persist, suddenly growing louder as a door can be heard opening. In rushes an unknown number of men, their voice unintelligible save for panicked tones. The speaker seems to argue with them for a moment and a small struggle ensues that ends with the door slamming shut, cutting off the blaring sirens. Silence once more.

"My name is [No Translation Found] of the [No Translation Found] Separatist Navy. This is a warning for all people throughout the universe. There is a new threat, one that looms over us all. It's not your trade rival, it's not your suspicious neighbors and it's for hell's sake not the rebels. They call themselves... "The [REDACTED] ..."

"Their goal, unknown. Their language, undecipherable. Their technology... far above anything you could ever imagine. All I know is that they're here... and now we're gone"

"They showed up around a century ago on the fringes of our galaxy, a single ship, larger than anything I've ever known. They ignored all hails and responded to our diplomacy with a hail storm of death and destruction. Slowly but surely, world by world, they destroyed our fleets and engulfed our planets. They left nothing untouched. Every structure, even our children's playgrounds... gone, consumed by their great machines. We threw everything we had at them, building more and more ships to replace the endless numbers we lost. But the more we threw at them, the more they thew back. It was if they FED off of our destruction. With each world and fleet lost their numbers only seemed to multiply. Eventually only our core worlds were left"

The voice pauses, the sounds of something slamming against a distant wall can be heard. The voice curses before continuing with haste.

"I don't have much time... "

"Some fled to the outer reaches of our galaxy to the most desolate worlds. But they followed them their, destroying and consuming them all the same. We have not the technology to escape our galactic confines... I fear this transmission will be all that survives. If their ship arrives at your galaxy... do not try and fight. Run... run as far as your ships can take you and then farther. Flee your galaxy, your galactic cluster if you can. And if you can't, develop the technology to you as fast as possible. That was our mistake... we thought e could stay and fight..."

A muffled explosions interrupts the audio and the loud, soul piercing screech of a grinder can be heard.

"No no no! Not now dammit!" The voice shouts, gun shots erupting.

The man breathes heavily into the mic, shouting over the screeching.
"But if you must or choose to fight... they do have one weakness. Perhaps you can succeed where we failed... Te-the key is to-"

A loud buzz and the beginning of a scream erupts before the audio abruptly cuts short.

Hello and welcome to Ghost In The Machine! I hope the little preludes, the first of which was written mainly by Transparent Transparent and the rest by yours truly, was enough to get you interested. Either way, let me tell you about our little rp.

This rp, managed collectively by me, Transparent Transparent and Shireling Shireling is semi-detailed to detailed character driven, nation builder, space opera... Let me explain...

This rp isn't your traditional nation builder, nor is it your traditional character rp in general. For starters, the goal isn't to conqueror everyone and be the best Uber Advanced Super Military Power House in the Universe, like typically rps its more story based and about your characters. But unlike more traditional rps there still are nation-building elements. The focus of the rp lies not only in the characters, but how players factions interact. How the players nations/factions interact will affect how characters will interact and the culmination of this will ultimately affect the story as a whole. The ultimate goal of the rp is the telling of a story and the hopeful defeat of the boss and saving of the universe. Saving the universe is optional however. Your character could feel free to aid its destruction, whatever floats your boat. It's about the story regardless, not the outcome.

We've combined nation-building elements with character driven story telling. You will have your main character, or multiple of them, through which you can help display your nation and tell its story, along with interact with other characters and nations. You'll have your fleets and armadas, and they will definitely play a part in the rp, but be carefully not to prioritize your faction's military over your characters and storytelling. Space Military is cool, and we appreciate a well thought out military sure, but a detailed, developed nation and characters are far more important.

The story will follow your characters and nations/factions, their interactions and how they react to the big bad boss faction. They will investigate them, discover who they are and what they're doing, and potentially try to stop them.

This is a space opera as well, meaning its sci-fi and about a big bad guy.

We've made this into a hosted project. This means that players are free to run their own side plots along with the main plot. The GMs may run occasional short mini-plots for players to optionally join.

TLDR = We combined nation building and character rps. You will have a nation (whether that be a single dude, pirates or an inter-galactic theocratic empire) and you will have character(s). Both are important and will be used to tell the story and defeat (or aid) the big bad guy. Characters and nations are more important than militaries.

Note that this isn't super fast paced like other rps. We are busy people, but we are dedicated to seeing this through. Our posts may vary in length, from a short paragraph to 1000+ words. Remember that quantity is not always quality. A couple short, even one, but good paragraphs can be better than a long unreadable shit post. We're lenient on post quality as long as your trying. I'm no great literary god so I can't hold everyone to a higher standard than myself. Just try is all we ask :)

As for your characters and nations, they can be whatever you want. Whether that be a single mercenary, a band of fanatic cultists, or an entire alien civilization, it's completely up to you. our character can be an average Joe, an elite assassin, the trash-man or a run away science experiment, anything goes. Let your imagination run free, we've set very limited restrictions. You can create and be whatever, whomever you want. All we ask is that it be at least somewhat reasonable and balanced. Your interactions and goals can be whatever you want as well. If you want to sabotage everyone so be it, if you want to start an intergalactic world war to spread communism around the globe, you do you. The possibilities are endless.

I hope we haven't scared you away and you're still interested! We are nice people, I swear. We've all put a lot of effort into our creations so your in for a great journey if you'll come with us.

If you want to join, check out the hosted project!
https://www.rpnation.com/categories/ghost-in-the-machine.2607/

If you want to join comment down below. Questions should go down below as well :)

Remember to focus on the nation and your characters. Sure you can have a detailed military, but not at the cost of most important things. To develop your nation focus on its history, how it affects the culture and how people generally interact. How its society and government is structured, internal problems, customs and its culture.

For your characters, make sure to think through their personality, mannerisms, typical course of actions and thinking.

Last edited:
This is so amazing. I would love to join if you would have me :)
Of course, we are still open and earnestly accepting! Feel free to apply and create a CS!

I find it easiest to create my CSs in google docs and copy and paste them into rpn. Dont have to wait to be accepted that way!

Any questions friend? :)

Can I join? Want to bring in a rising transhumanist stellar empire with a 'realistic' technology base involving high stellar infrastructure and a different view on planets compared to most cultures.

Not sure about characters but I'll work on that when I actually make a CS.

Can I join? Want to bring in a rising transhumanist stellar empire with a 'realistic' technology base involving high stellar infrastructure and a different view on planets compared to most cultures.

Not sure about characters but I'll work on that when I actually make a CS.
Of course! Sounds interesting and we are still accepting!

Echopraxia Echopraxia Zaltusinel Zaltusinel Grammatic Grammatic The Gunrunner The Gunrunner Death Korps of Krieg Death Korps of Krieg Buckteeth Buckteeth

On behalf of the GM team, I am extremely sorry for the absolute lack of activity. Between our busy lives (end of year, graduation for some and college for others) and waiting for a player to respond, we have been unable to get the plot moving. BUT FEAR NOT!

In part because we've waited long enough for the stalled plot to move, we have quite a few newbies and the fact that we ain't not quitters, our story master Shireling Shireling is rewriting a better intro for the plot to get it moving. This rp is not dead, it is merely beginning. Hold onto your seats ladies, this rides about to get a bit bumpy ;)

Would anyone like to volunteer to be the first punching bag for the Constructors? Also, if anyone is a decent concept artist, I'd like to have some artwork done for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back