AnimeGenork

The Duck Overlord
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Genork's Notebook

moleskine-notebook-570x360.png
Because I Write...

Hey, everybody! AnimeGenork here! For those of you who don't know me from my excursions around RPN, I love to write. (Well, duh, Gen, why would you be on RPN in the first place?) Anyway, I tend to write a lot of random things that I never know what to do with, so I thought, "Hey, why not put some stuff on here?" Now, don't worry, they won't be too fantastically long (and if they are, I'll give a warning), but they're just little things here and there that I scribble down or type up when I'm bored.

Feel free to comment (not too harshly though, or I might cry) on things or tell me what you think! I hope to pursue a career in writing someday, and this is just a little stepping stone to help me out. ^^

About Moi

I am a 17-year-old high school student going in my junior year of high school. I've been writing as a hobby since fifth grade when I first attempted to write a book (still haven't finished it, but there were complications with it anyway, so...) I'm currently in my school's marching band on alto sax and I'm going to be taking a crap ton of AP classes this upcoming year. My GPA at the moment is 4.5 ish and I have no idea how I'm keeping that up. XD

My hobbies include writing (of course) and all things associated with it, reading, watching anime, and other nerdy things. I consider myself a nerd of all trades, and I've recently been rewatching some older cartoons from my childhood. Because why not? There's really not much else to know about me besides that.

For genres, I tend to write things on the more fantastical side or fanfiction that doesn't mess with the plot of the original. If not fantasy, I'm writing realistic fiction, but I really do love my fantasy. And mythology. Man, I love mythology. Romance is a love of mine (haha), so half of everything I write includes it. (You might as well know this now.)

I'm one of those writers that treats my characters like living, breathing creatures, and they're like family to me. So you mess with my charas, you're gonna get a case of whup-ass courtesy of the Duck Overlord.
Nah, just kidding. I'm really very nice. XD

Contents

Last edited:
One Hell of a Halloween
A household of nine young adults throws a Halloween party, but Avril Cavallon spends most of the party searching and worrying for her best friend, Castiel Valdez.
Explanation: This is a short story based on a novel I’m writing that includes my characters from my favorite RP, The Olympus Prophecies, GMed by my dear friend @Starfish . It describes the lead couple’s first kiss. The novel is still a work in progress, but I did manage to write this story out.
Topics: First Kiss, Drunkenness
Genre: Realistic Fiction, “Fanfiction”
bbd5ff09d1d84d87271fddd22290ccbc.jpg
Logan-logan-henderson-3-31983004-520-700.jpg
Toby sure knew how to throw a party. The “Party Boy of Munich” certainly lived up to his status.

In preparation, Avie was busy styling the girls’ hair in her room, humming to herself as she did so. True to form, she was wearing a cat costume, but not a slutty one, as Jackie would have donned. No, she was wearing a faux fur-lined bolero and black tank top (which was the sexiest part of the outfit even though its cut wasn’t terribly low) along with a spotted miniskirt and black leggings. Fuzzy ankle boots finished the outfit, as well as a pair of fuzzy cat ears. Avie’s hair was parted into two pigtails, and the other girls cooed over her ensemble every chance they got.

Having put Jackie’s hair in an elaborate updo, she raised her arms (which bore black fingerless gloves that had netting up to the elbow) and smiled. “All done, Jackie!” she chirped, bouncing up and down excitedly. A brown tail was attached to her miniskirt, and it waved as she twirled. Jackie grinned and raised a hand to her hair, her earrings clinking with the movement. She was dressed as a debutante, with a low-cut lavender bodice and royal purple tulle skirt. Her sheer white gloves went to her upper arms, and despite the dated attire, she still looked as stunning as always.

Ivy, meanwhile, had decidedly dressed as a zombie slayer from her favorite book series, the White Rabbit Chronicles. Her long hair was tied back in a ponytail with a black bandana encircling her head. A tight, black long-sleeved shirt was paired with black cargo pants and combat boots. To top it all off, two black streaks of paint were brushed on her cheeks.

And finally, Nomika was dressed as Ebenezer Scrooge, complete with striped nightshirt and cap. She hugged a pillow to her chest and scuffed her bunny slippers along the floor. Avie had decided she would keep a close eye on Nomika just in case she fell asleep in the middle of the floor.

Jackie stood up from the chair in front of Avie’s vanity, which was anything but vain. Turning to the other girls, she waved a slate gray fan toward the door. “I believe it’s time for the hostesses to make an entrance. Let’s go par-taaaay!” Ivy linked arms with her and strode out the door to meet their guests. Avie followed Nomika out the door, blinking at the amount of people already taking up the living room.

In the corner of the room, Cole had set up a bar, and he was busy serving drinks and flirting with practically everyone. He was dressed as Horace from Family Guy, but his shirt was open, causing guys and gals everywhere to glance at him appreciatively. Nomika immediately went over to the bar, and Cole smiled and slipped her a coffee mug, which she raised in a mock toast.

Meanwhile, Toby danced through the room in his unspecific outfit from the eighties, including a flashy shirt and bell bottom jeans. Jackie laughed at him, and in response he twirled her. A gaggle of girls surrounded him, cups of beer in their hands. Toby, however, was dry, and he tiptoed around everyone who had a drink. Thankfully, Cole refused to serve anyone who was underage, so Ivy and Olly were sure to stay sober.

Avie tilted her head, searching the crowd for Cassy. He’d been teasing the household for weeks, saying that everyone would love his costume. Instead, she was approached by Olly first, who looked positively charming in his prince outfit. “One of the characters from my favorite book,” he explained, latching onto Avie’s arm and eyeing the crowd nervously. Avie grinned and pecked him on the cheek in an effort to calm him down.

A girl dressed as Alice from Alice in Wonderland walked up to Olly and started talking to him. The poor boy was so flustered to be talking to a girl that he stammered more than usual. Avie was about to kindly explain to the girl that he needed to get away before Ivy swooped in and dragged him away, shooting a furtive glare over her shoulder. “I’m sorry about her,” Avie said, smiling guiltily. “She saw Olly was getting nervous and probably wanted to get him out.” The girl walked away, clearly a little bit mad, and Avie went back to searching for Cassy.

Entering the small hallway leading to the kitchen and dining room, Avie found couples kissing and pawing at each other. She blushed and ducked her head, apologizing if she bumped into any of them.

The kitchen was full of writhing bodies and more couples kissing, but the throbbing bass of the music was just as loud here as in the living room. Biting her lip, Avie noticed Kenny talking to a guy in the corner, his bright orange, homemade Camp Half-Blood shirt attracting attention to his lean figure. Avie went up to him and asked, “Have you seen Cassy?”

Kenny shrugged. “Not at all.”

Avie wilted. Where was Cassy?

As she tried to make her way back into the living room, someone grabbed her arm and pulled her into a little alcove in the corner of the room. It was Cassy. His costume was composed of a black shirt and pants, complete with cape and mask, as well as a fake rapier. Avie giggled. “Zorro? Has Jackie seen your costume?”

Cassy took off the mask and grinned crookedly. By the way he was swaying slightly, Avie ventured a guess that Cole had given him a few drinks. Taking his hand, Avie gently suggested, “Maybe you should go lie down, Cassy…”

He shook his head. “I’m fine,” he slurred. “I really wanted to show you my Halloween costume first, Azucenaaaa.” He held out the last letter of his nickname for her, and Avie sighed. He was incredibly drunk.

Suddenly, Cassy’s eyes gained a little clarity, and he put his hands on her shoulders. “Avie, has anyone told you how adorable you look tonight?”

Blinking, Avie replied, “W-well…the girls did. And you…”

Cassy leaned down and pressed his forehead to hers. “Well, you do, Azucena. You always do. You’re the most beautiful girl I know.”

Avie felt her cheeks heating up as she stared up into his eyes. Did he really mean what he was saying, or was this the alcohol talking? Throat dry, she murmured, “Cassy…”

Before she could say much else, his lips were on hers, and she widened her eyes in shock. He was kissing her. He was actually kissing her. Avie didn’t know what to do. She’d never been kissed before, especially by someone who was drunk out of his mind. For all she knew, Cassy didn’t mean anything he was saying. The thought made her want to curl up into a ball.

And yet…he seemed sincere, despite being drunk. Maybe alcohol made him admit things he normally wouldn’t say? Avie dared to hope that he had meant what he said and did.

Still, she didn’t know much about kissing, so she closed her eyes and waited until he pulled away and muttered something about “how important you are to me” and “there’s something I need to tell you.” Unfortunately, before he could elaborate, he slumped against the wall, completely out of it.

Avie crouched down beside him and tried to wake him up, but he was out cold. Cole came over, rubbing his hand along the back of his neck. “Sorry about that, Avie. I thought for sure he was better at handling his liquor.” He bent down and threw Cassy’s arm over his shoulder, pushing his way through the crowd to take him to his room. Avie followed behind, ignoring the looks she received from some people who saw her costume. As soon as Cole set Cassy down on his bed, Avie thanked him and sat beside him. Someone had to watch over him while he was feeling so terrible.

After all, Cassy would’ve done the same for her.
~ ~ ~
In the morning, when Cassy woke up moaning, Avie handed him a glass of water. Glancing over at her, Cassy grimaced. “I got drunk and passed out, didn’t I?”

Avie nodded.

Rubbing his head, he groaned. “Did I do anything embarrassing?”

She gently brought a hand to her lips and smiled. “No, I don’t think so. Your costume is lovely, by the way.”

Cassy managed a grin. “Glad you liked it.” He took a moment to take in her modest cat costume. His grin widened. “That looks cute on you. That must’ve caught some boys’ attention.”

Giggling, Avie shook her head. “I stayed here all night with you.”

His smile fell, and he closed his eyes. “I’m sorry, Azucena. I ruined your night.”

Widening her eyes, she shook her head. “No, no, it’s fine! Really, the party wasn’t really the sort of place I wanted to be. I’d much rather be here with you…” She trailed off, her cheeks heating the slightest bit.

For a few moments, Cassy was silent, taking large gulps of his water. Finally, he turned to her with a sweet smile on his face. “Thank you, Azucena. It means a lot that you stayed here with me.”

“Of course!” she replied, her own face lighting up with a smile.

The bedroom door opened, and Ivy poked her head in, the black paint on her face streaked and runny. “Oh, good, you’re awake!” she exclaimed, causing Cassy to wince. “Wait until you hear what happened last night after you conked out.” She gave Avie and Cassy a wide grin, declaring, “This was certainly one hell of a Halloween!”

You could say that again, Avie thought, standing up to follow the English girl. I won’t be forgetting that for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Wings of a Tail
Akari Kaya comes to Magnolia only to find that it may very well be her new home. (This is the very beginning of my Fairy Tail fanfic.)
Topics: Family, Belonging
Genre: Fanfiction
i3dFSAQ.jpg
I first came to the town of Magnolia when I was fifteen.

Exhausted, I needed directions to the nearest inn or hotel or somewhere I could sleep safe and sound. Finally, I came upon a very large building with a sign out front that read “Fairy Tail.” I raised my eyebrows. So this was the fabled Fairy Tail guild. I’d heard of it, of course, but I’d never imagined I would get to see it. I tentatively raised my hand to knock on the door.

It opened slightly, and a beautiful face peeked out. She had pretty, silvery hair with a cute pigtail in the front (I think that’s what it was…?) and wide eyes. “Can I help you?” she asked sweetly, smiling at me.

Suddenly, I was nervous. Should I go somewhere else and get directions? Then again, she’d already answered, and it would be awkward if I just left. Oh, well. I cleared my throat softly and replied, “Um. Yes, can you direct me to the nearest inn or hotel, please?”

The girl smiled. “Sure thing. We can ask Master Makarov. Come on in.”

She held the door open for me, and I stepped inside.

I couldn’t help but gawk.

Everyone was being loud and noisy, screaming at each other and throwing things. There were two boys, one with pink hair and the other with black hair, who were practically at each other’s throats. Then I realized the guy with black hair was only in his underwear, and I quickly looked away, blushing furiously.

The girl noticed my expression and grinned. “Don’t worry. He forgets to wear clothes all the time.”

“Forgets?” I marveled, staring at her.

She giggled girlishly into her hand. “Yep. It’s complicated to explain.”

“I’ll bet,” I agreed, giggling as well. I wished I could get to know her more. She really seemed nice. Like my friends back home.

The ones I’d left behind.

Finally, we came to the counter of a bar at the back of the front room, which was basically the entire guild hall, except for a second floor I couldn’t see anything of.

Sitting atop the counter was a very short, very old-looking man wearing a vaguely jester-ish hat and holding a wooden staff. He smiled kindly at me and greeted me, “Hello. What brings you here to Fairy Tail?”

I hesitated. Nobody had been this kind to me in a long while. I wasn’t quite sure how to respond.

The girl who led me in smiled knowingly. “Master Makarov, this girl needs directions to the nearest inn or hotel. At least, that’s what she told me.”

Makarov nodded. “Thank you, Mirajane. But first, young miss, might I have the pleasure of learning your name?”

Again, I hesitated. My name might link me to what I’d done that made me leave my home in the first place. Then again, Makarov and Mirajane didn’t seem like the type of people to sell out strangers.

But I’d been wrong before about people.

“Um…” I stammered, trying to decide in a split second if I should tell him. “My name…is Akari. Akari Kaya.” I sighed when I told him. What did I have to lose, really? I’d already lost my friends and family, not to mention my home.

Makarov’s smile was gentle. “That’s a beautiful name.” He paused. “You seem troubled. There’s something you’re running away from, isn’t there?”

My eyes widened. How was he able to read me so well? Was this some sort of magic he used? Or…was he just wise in his old age?

Mirajane inspected my expression. “You can tell us,” she whispered. “We won’t think any different of you.”

I looked at her and resisted the urge to cry. They were so kind. Why hadn’t I run away to Magnolia first? Switching my gaze back to Makarov, I murmured, “Yes. I ran away from home because I made a mistake…and everybody blamed me for it. So, I left to escape a terrible and undeserved punishment.”

The master of Fairy Tail nodded. “We all do things we’re not proud of. It’s human nature. But we shouldn’t let those things haunt our lives, nor should we ignore them.” He was so wise. I felt my heart opening up to him, as if he was my grandfather, giving me a life lesson.

He looked closer at me. “How old are you, Akari?”

I raised my eyebrows, mildly surprised. “Fifteen.”

His thoughtful look gave me pause. Why was it important that he ask my age? I just needed directions. I’d already overstayed my welcome.

“Are you a wizard, Akari?” Makarov finally asked me, stroking his chin.

My eyebrows shot higher. “Y-yes,” I stuttered, “Yes, I am.”

“And what kind of magic do you use?”

Well this was going to be a complicated answer. “I taught myself fire and water magic, but before I ran away from home, I managed to learn lightning magic as well.”

“You taught yourself magic?” Makarov admired, sounding impressed. “How did you manage that?”

Another complicated answer. “Well, I, uh… I read some things and observed the way fire and water move and operate, and then, I, um… I just started to do magic with it. It was like… I connected with the fire, and with the water, and even with the lightning. I wasn’t controlling it, necessarily. More like I befriended it and ‘spoke’ to it, and then I just guided it, I guess.”

Mirajane and Makarov both smiled at me. “That’s exactly what magic is, Akari,” Makarov told me. “Matching the wavelength of our energy to that of the earth and its elements.”

I blinked. “That makes sense.”

“Are you planning on learning any other types of magic?” Mirajane inquired, seeming genuinely interested.

My gaze went upward, as it always did when I was thinking. “Um. It might seem a bit far-fetched, but I’d really like to master other types of elemental magics. You know, like earth, wind, plants, and other stuff like that. Those aren’t the only ‘elemental’ magics, but you know what I mean.”

They both nodded, and I started to shift uncomfortably. I badly wanted to ask if I could get those directions, but I didn’t want to seem rude.

Finally, Makarov requested, “Would you like to show us your magic?”

Blushing, I insisted, “It’s not that good, honestly. I was the only person in my town who used it, and even then, I didn’t really do it with other people around.”

Mirajane gave me an encouraging grin. “We just want to see what you can do. Please?”

It was hard to resist her. I sighed. “Okay. Here goes.”

I closed my eyes, sensing the natural heat and humidity around me. My fingers twitched, wanting to guide my magic, but first I needed to craft it. Opening my eyes, I turned around, scanning my surroundings. The pink-haired boy’s hand was wreathed in flame, and the black-haired boy was using some form of ice magic.

I could work with that.

Very gently, I willed a small portion of the flame to jump away from its master and melt a bit of ice. The resulting water followed the flame and danced through the air.

I could create lightning using sheer force of will, so I opened my palm and, using my natural electricity, I created a small spark. The lightning danced up into the air and joined the water and the fire. Mirajane and Makarov observed this all with wonder.

All three elements waited patiently in a line for me to command them. I thought long and hard, and then I finally got an idea.

Under my authority, the flame leaped and danced through the air, creating a line of flame to form a picture. The water, meanwhile, surrounded the flame as if it was a picture frame, and it constantly shifted so that the frame rippled with each passing second. The lightning sparkled and danced over the heads of the guild members, attracting their attention as well as leaving a trail.

Eventually, the fire created a picture of Makarov and Mirajane smiling. The lightning finished off the picture by spelling out “Fairy Tail” beneath their faces and signing my name in what would’ve been the bottom right corner, had this been a painting.

The entire guild had stopped what they were doing, and were staring at the picture. The last of the flame settled on my shoulder like a bird, and I grinned at it proudly. It quivered with what I think was pride.

Finally, in light of their awe, the guild members all turned and looked at me, just as the lightning settled onto my hair and the water sat on my other shoulder. I blushed, nervous again, as dozens of eyes stared at me in wonder. All of their gazes asked the same questions: Who are you? How did you do that?

Makarov and Mirajane started to clap politely, and soon, all of Fairy Tail had joined in. My cheeks fiery with heat, I curtsied, not knowing what else to do. The pink-haired boy smiled at me, and the blue cat sitting on his shoulder seemed to be cheering. The black-haired boy flashed me a grin. Many other members of the guild smiled and nodded at me. It felt almost like a family, even though I hardly knew them.

Turning back around, I saw Makarov and Mirajane glance at each other approvingly. “That decides that, then, doesn’t it, Master?” Mirajane said, glancing at me.

“It sure does.” He turned to me. “How would you like to join Fairy Tail, Akari?”

The question hit me like a ton of bricks, and I felt the air leave me. “What? Wh-Why would you want me? I’m not even that good at what I do!”

“On the contrary, you seem to be very skilled at the magics you’ve learned. You have the level of skill most wizards take years to achieve. Plus, you have the same spirit that the rest of us do,” Makarov explained, leaning forward.

Before I could stop myself, I blurted, “I could never belong here!”

Suddenly, I realized the rest of the guild was silent. They were listening to my conversation with their master. I shrank down a bit, trying to hide my embarrassment.

A voice behind me called, “That’s a load of crap. You belong here just as much as we do!”

I turned and saw the pink-haired boy staring at me with a determined look in his eye. “We’d be lucky to have you in Fairy Tail, especially with your level of skill.”

My self-conscious side kicked in, and I murmured, “But you barely know me. How do you know you’ll still welcome me if you knew more about me?”

The black-haired boy cut in. “We all started out that way. No matter what kind of past you have, we won’t care. Everyone in Fairy Tail is a friend and part of a big family.”

Finally, I looked down at the ground guiltily. “I don’t deserve a family.”

A hand gently touched my shoulder. I looked up at Mirajane. She smiled down at me. “Everyone deserves a family, no matter what they’ve done or what’s happened to them in the past.”

Tears welled up in my eyes at her words. I glanced around and saw some people nodding while others gave me pleading glances. If I turned this down now, I might never find another family like it again.

Trying not to doubt my decision too much, I switched my gaze to Makarov. “Okay,” I answered simply, a tiny smile lifting the corners of my mouth.

The guild broke into cheers, and Mirajane gave me a hug. I returned it as she whispered in my ear, “Welcome to Fairy Tail.”

“Thank you,” I whispered back.
~ ~ ~
Later, when she asked me where I wanted my Fairy Tail mark, I tugged at the collar of my shirt and pointed to my collarbone. “Here. That way I’ll always be able to see it and remember this day.”

She smiled. “Alright. Collarbone it is. What color?”

I considered it for a while. Then I said, “Gray.”

Grinning, she inquired, “Any particular reason?”

“It goes with everything,” I quipped, “and it’s my favorite color.”

She chuckled as she prepared to stamp the mark on my collarbone. “You know, one of our members’ names is Gray. Gray Fullbuster.”

“Really?” I tilted my head, purely curious.

“Uh huh. He’s the one who forgets to wear a shirt sometimes.”

“Really?” I said again, my voice taking on a mildly disgusted tone.

Mirajane giggled. “He’s very nice, once you get to know him.”

I glanced over at Gray and the pink-haired boy. “Then how come he always argues with that boy?”

“Oh, that’s Natsu. Those two argue all the time. It’s very normal.”

“Normal?” Fairy Tail got stranger and stranger with every passing minute.

She held up a stamp with the guild’s mark on it. “Ready?”

I pulled down the collar of my shirt and nodded. “Ready.” I closed my eyes as she leaned towards me. I felt a slight press of the stamp at my collarbone, and then it went away. My eyes cracked open, and I looked in the mirror Mirajane held up. The mark seemed almost unreal against my skin. A smile broke out across my face. After months of running, I’d finally found a place to belong.

“Hey, congratulations. Welcome to Fairy Tail,” a masculine voice behind me said.

Looking over my shoulder, I spotted Gray standing there with his hands in his pockets. (Oh, hey, he’d found pants.) Upon closer inspection, he seemed to be about a year older than me, with messy black hair and dark blue eyes bordering on black. His Fairy Tail mark was on his right pectoral. I tried not to stare at it. He also wore a necklace that seemed to be a cross with part of it being made of a sword. His pants were black and he wore black boots, and seemed to be holding a type of cigar in his mouth. Icy mist floated around him.

“Thank you,” I inclined my head. “I’m Akari Kaya.”

“And I’m Gray Fullbuster.” He held out his hand, and I shook it.

“I hope you like it here,” he said, grinning at me.

“I’m sure I will,” I replied, smiling to myself.

Gray shifted his weight. “If you ever need help, you can count on me, or anyone else in the guild, okay? We’re family, and families stick together.”

Blinking, I nodded. “Okay. Yeah, sure. I will.”

He smiled again, and, nodding to me, turned and walked back over to where Natsu and few other boys were joking around.

“He sure took a fast liking to you, Akari,” Mirajane noted.

“You think so?” I murmured, still staring after him.

Beaming, she teased, “Looks like someone’s got a crush!”

“I do not! I barely even know him!” I protested, my cheeks heating.

Mirajane just smiled. “You’ll get to know him soon enough. And you’ll get to know the rest of Fairy Tail, too.”

My mood lightened, and I exclaimed, “I can’t wait!”

Last edited:
I read over the Fairy Tail story and really enjoyed it. I really liked how you explained how her magic moved and worked so well, I have trouble doing that at times. I hope you post more because I love reading other peoples work on Fairy Tail and I hope to read other work of yours later. XD

I read over the Fairy Tail story and really enjoyed it. I really liked how you explained how her magic moved and worked so well, I have trouble doing that at times. I hope you post more because I love reading other peoples work on Fairy Tail and I hope to read other work of yours later. XD

Aw, thank you so much! To be honest, my Fairy Tail fanfic is my favorite one to write! ^^

The Dragon Who Crashed a Ball
Princess Valynne attends a ball on her birthday only to encounter a young man, Ekar, who has a hidden motive for attending in the first place. (This is a story I wrote for Creative Writing class this year.)
Topics: Kidnapping, Prejudice of All Kinds
Genre: Story
WARNING: This one's a bit longer!
latest
Valynne held up her arms and stared at the cream white ceiling as her maid tightened the constricting corset around her waist. “Is this really necessary?” she muttered, barely able to breathe. She felt as if her lungs were being pushed up into her throat, and her breath came out in short gasps.

“Of course it is, my lady. You must look your best for your own birthday ball. After all, your father wants you to find a suitable consort sometime soon. Might as well show off your pretty self tonight with all the noble boys around, hmm?” the maid replied, grunting a bit as she tightened the strings on the device that was said to be fashionable, but might as well be classified as deadly.

With a sigh, Valynne whined, “But why must I start searching now? I’m eighteen, for goodness’ sake! I’m far from ready to be married!”

The maid gave her a knowing smile. She was a pretty thing, about Valynne’s age, give or take a year, with a dimple in her left cheek and a sparkle in her eye. “I know, Miss, but your father’s not getting any younger. He wants to be sure you’re happy and taken care of.”

This comment gave Valynne pause. It was true; her father was aging quite considerably. Lately there had been rumors of dragons attacking the villages at the kingdom’s borders, though the culprit was most likely their neighboring kingdom, even if no one had sufficient evidence to prove it. Her father had tried to calm the people, but they were having none of it. Prejudices against the dragons from long ago had been revived, even though they lived in the sky, far away from anyone on the earth. To add insult to injury, her father was ill. Not so ill that it was fatal, but it might as well have been, considering how he worked himself to the bone to keep his kingdom happy and prosperous. Physicians kept telling him that doing so was unwise, but he wouldn’t listen, no matter how much Valynne herself insisted. His health was suffering, and it showed in every new gray hair.

Not willing to go down that line of thought, Valynne focused as her maid helped her dress in the fancy ball gown that her father had had the castle seamstress sew a few weeks ago. Its wide, bell-shaped skirt swished across the floor as she spun, and the puffed sleeves followed the curve of her shoulder perfectly. The neckline went down to her collarbone, leaving her shoulders exposed. The maid draped a ruby necklace around her neck, which contrasted boldly with the pinkness of the dress, along with ruby bracelets and golden bangles. Pink heart-shaped earrings were put in her ears, and her hair was arranged in a high braided bun with two curls framing her face. Valynne then put on her simple pink slippers, the final touch to her ensemble.

Sighing dreamily, the maid gushed, “You look beautiful, my lady.”

Valynne took the maid’s hands in her own and responded, “All thanks to you.” The girls giggled together. While normally separated by class, a simple activity such as dressing for a ball bonded them in friendship.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. “Vally?” a soft voice called. Her father. The maid released Valynne’s hands and went to open the door to reveal the king of Kostivalle standing in the entryway. She curtsied politely and left the room, closing the door behind her.

“Father,” Valynne breathed, hurrying over and embracing him. A chuckle reverberated through his chest as he wrapped his arms around his only daughter. He seemed to be doing better, which was a relief to her. Perhaps he’d finally gotten some sleep.

He pulled back, his hands on his daughter’s shoulders, and looked her over. “My, you look beautiful, Valynne,” he murmured with a smile. “Your mother would be proud.” This made Valynne’s lips turn up. She was the spitting image of her mother, who had died shortly after she was born, her last word being the name she wanted her daughter to have. The only remnant of her that Valynne possessed, out of the many her father had kept after her death, was a hair ribbon her mother used to wear all the time, which was now threaded through her hair.

Her father straightened, his soft expression hardening into what Valynne had come to call his “king face.” He held out his arm to his daughter as a gentleman would, to escort her into the ball, a teasing smirk crossing his face. With a giggle, she linked her arm with his and let him lead her out the door and down the corridor. A few times he lifted his hand to his face and coughed, and slowed down, but otherwise, there were no visible signs of the king’s illness, except his new gray hairs and the dark circles under his eyes.

Just outside the door to the ballroom, he kissed his daughter’s temple affectionately and said, “Happy eighteenth birthday, my dear Valynne.”

“Thank you, Father,” she whispered back, wishing she could hug him again. Seeing as they were just about to enter the ballroom, however, she couldn’t, as it violated the rules of decorum.

The towering doors leading to the ballroom opened, and a fanfare of trumpets accompanied their appearance. A voice rang out through the room: “Now presenting, His Royal Majesty, King Alaric of Kostivalle, and Her Royal Highness, Princess Valynne of Kostivalle.” Thunderous applause immediately followed the announcement, with father and daughter bowing and curtsying to their subjects respectively.

Voices swelled to fill the room as the orchestra began playing again, leaving all the guests to mingle as they pleased. King Alaric turned to his daughter and bowed his head. “If you’ll excuse me, Valynne, I must greet the ministers from around the kingdom. Would you mind leading the first dance?”

“Of course, Father,” Valynne replied, bowing her own head in return. Spotting a table laden with refreshments, she drifted over to it and got herself a goblet of punch. Sipping it every now and then, she chatted amiably with all who came up to her. She’d asked her father and the royal advisers to invite all the subjects in the city surrounding the castle to attend, instead of just the nobles, since she felt the celebration would be livelier if that were the case. Indeed it was, for the nobles were talking with the peasants, and vice versa, and all were clearly enjoying it. A smile graced Valynne’s face as she watched her father’s subjects come together.

Before long, it was time for the first dance, but as of yet, no one had approached to ask her to dance. All were too busy either catching up with old friends or meeting new ones. Valynne frowned slightly, wondering how she could lead the dance without a partner.

Suddenly, a young man about her age strode over and bowed to her. “Greetings, Princess.” He lifted his head. His auburn hair seemed red in the light of the various chandeliers in the room, and his eyes were a sparkly amber...or were they a darker yellow? It was hard to tell. A smirk danced across his lips as he straightened. “May I have this dance?” he asked, extending his hand to her.

Flustered, Valynne stammered, “Why, yes. Yes, of course you may.” She took his hand, noting its warmth, and allowed him to lead her onto the dance floor. After all, it wasn’t every day such a handsome man asked you to dance with him.

Even though it was expected to happen to a princess like her.

~ ~ ~

Earlier, that same auburn-haired boy strode down the hallway of a castle that was not his own, a determined scowl on his face. Another boy hurried after him, his smaller stature struggling to keep up with the first boy’s taller one. “Are you sure you want to go through with this, Your Highness? What if you’re caught before you’re able to lure the princess away…?”

“I won’t be.”

“But--”

“Karl,” the boy interrupted, turning on his heel to face the smaller man. “I know what I’m doing. I will succeed in this mission, and when I do, the humans will realize the error of their ways, and apologize for what their ancestors did.”

Karl sighed, as if knowing he’d never get the stubborn boy to waver. “Alright, Prince Ekar, but...be careful. Please. I hate to think what your father would do if he found out I let you get captured...by humans, no less.”

Ekar gave Karl a knowing smirk. “No need to worry. I will not let him do anything to you. And I will not be captured… After all, they are pathetic humans. We have always been stronger than them.”

His valet did not answer, for he knew his master was right. Humans were weak creatures, incapable of fighting their kind. It was a wonder they’d been able to slay their ancestors long ago.

“Good luck, Your Highness,” Karl murmured, bowing, as was customary.

“Thank you, Karl,” Ekar responded, his scowl giving way to a smile. His head dipped to match the bow. Karl had been his valet since they were children, and the two had been inseparable since then. They knew each better than they knew even themselves. Despite this however, there had always been a divide between them due to their different social standings. Affection wasn’t easily won from Ekar, except to maybe his younger sister, but to Karl, it was more respect than anything.

The prince turned and continued down the corridor until he reached a side door leading into the ballroom. Trying to go unnoticed, he slipped in through the passage and immediately blended into the crowd. Many of the girls he passed attempted to flirt with him, and while he smiled in their general direction, he did not return their banter. All the while his yellow eyes searched the crowd.

Finally, he found her. The princess of Kostivalle, Valynne, known through all the land as possibly the most beautiful girl to have ever lived.

Blegh.

Noticing that she was alone, he smiled widely. This was going better than he had thought. The original plan was to wait until all possible suitors had danced with her, and then make his move. But it seemed as if all the nobles and peasantry were too busy intermingling to pay attention to the princess, even though it was her birthday. Humans are so very oblivious...leaving their princess alone, susceptible to capture… He was about to start chuckling maniacally, until he realized he was still in a room full of people.

With a bounce in his step, he strode over to her and bowed, as was customary in this culture when met with royalty. “Greetings, Princess,” he said, almost in reverence, hoping he was passing off as a member of the nobility. Lifting his head, he noticed her gaze darting all over his face. He must’ve seemed unusually regal in her eyes...or maybe she’d noticed his yellow eyes. Either way, he had her attention, exactly as he had planned. Without meaning to, he let a smirk cross his lips as he straightened again, offering his hand and asking, “May I have this dance?”

The princess, clearly flustered by his sudden appearance as well as his looks, stammered in response, “Why, yes. Yes, of course you may.” Taking his proffered hand, she allowed him to lead her to the dance floor. He kept a genial smile on his face while he adjusted his plan. Without the expected line of suitors to wait patiently in, Ekar would be able to escape with the princess and meet Karl outside of the castle.

Suddenly, the princess stopped walking. Ekar looked down at her, confused, before glancing around him. They had reached the center of the dance floor without him realizing it, and so, he turned to face the princess. Having studied human customs intensely so he could blend in, he knew that he and the princess would lead the first dance by themselves. This was the perfect chance to gain her trust. Yet again, Ekar found himself wanting to laugh maniacally, but he couldn’t, not with her right in front of him. Instead, he took her left hand in his right and placed his other hand on her waist. As soon as the music started up, they began to dance.

They practically flew across the dance floor, twirling and spinning gracefully. Ekar was proud of himself; after all, he’d only learned how to dance like a human a few hours ago. To Princess Valynne, it must seem as if he’d been practicing for years. He looked down, his eyebrows immediately raising. Her eyes were closed, and a serene smile was on her face, as if she was focused on nothing more than the dancing itself. At this rate, they were going to get nowhere, and he wouldn’t be able to finish his mission.

“So, Princess…” he began, hoping to somehow make pleasant conversation with her. Not that the conversation would be pleasant for him.

Her eyes flew open at the sound of his voice, and her dark brown eyes raised to meet his gaze. With a kind smile, she said, “Oh, please, just call me Valynne. My father’s advisers call me ‘Princess.’”

“Alright, then.” Ekar tried not to snarl. He didn’t care what he called her; he didn’t intend to become her friend. All he cared about was kidnapping her. That was all he was here for. That was the only reason he was in this idiotic human form, with all these dimwitted humans, dancing this foolish waltz. He didn’t want to be here, he had never wanted to be here.

But it was the only way to bring glory back to his father and his ancestors.

“Why are there commoners here, Valynne?” Ekar asked in a casual tone, genuinely curious, for once, about the actions of humans. “I believe there is no precedent for what you have done here.”

Valynne, her hand shifting on his shoulder, looked down at their feet. “Well… I felt my birthday celebration would be more of a celebration with them here, since all the nobles are all so focused on manners and decorum.” She paused to giggle. Her laughter was melodic, and something about her face seemed to light up as joy washed over her features. With her eyes crinkling at the corners in her merriment, he almost believed her to be a younger, carefree girl, and not the heir to the throne of Kostivalle. “Besides, I’ll be ruling over all of them someday, so I should take every opportunity to get to know my subjects.”

“That is an interesting way to look at it… Valynne,” Ekar responded, hesitating to use her given name. “I am sure that when you take the throne, you will bring the people closer together as you have here.”

“Thank you.” Valynne dipped her head gratefully, a tiny smile appearing on her face. Ekar blinked. Had he really...just made the princess smile? Did humans really derive joy from the simplest comments? He could’ve laughed at the simplicity of these damned humans.

At long last, the song ended, and he and Valynne stepped back from each other. She immediately sank into a deep curtsy, and he bowed low in return. “All that dancing has made me thirsty. Care to join me for some punch?” he asked.

The sweet smile remained on Valynne’s face as she nodded. “Yes. I’d like that.”

They drifted together to the punch bowl and watched as other couples convened on the dance floor, flirting and laughing and making merry. Ekar glanced off to a set of doors leading to a balcony, and gently nudged Valynne. “Want to look at the stars?”

She nodded, smiling kindly up at him, and followed his lead outside into the pleasantly chilly night air, immediately gazing up at the shining stars. An awestruck wonder filled her eyes, and a gentle breeze stirred her hair gently, while Ekar surveyed the balcony, plotting an escape. He had never much cared for stars, especially since much of his time was spent beneath them anyway, riding strong winds and sleeping on soft, pillowy clouds. Breathing in the crisp autumn air, he peered over the gilded balcony railing, he squinted and spotted Karl waiting for him at the towering, silver castle gates. The distance was about one kilometer, give or take a meter, by his approximation. Between here and there was the bailey, with fragrant gardens (of which he was able to smell even from this height) stretching around the corners of the sprawling walls. No trees were at the front of the grounds, so he would not have to risk scraping himself or Valynne on the rough bark.

Ekar sighed in relief. His plan was almost complete. Turning back to Valynne, he murmured, “Princess.”

“Hm?” She faced him, her eyes reflecting familiar starlight back at him. He was momentarily dazzled by this, until he mentally slapped himself and reached out to her. He cupped her face gently in his right hand. Hearing her inhale sharply, he smirked. Wrapping his other arm around her waist, he leaned down so they faces were a millimeter apart.

“Humans are so gullible.”

With his arms around the princess, Ekar leaped off the balcony, which was three stories up, and spread his arms, momentarily letting go of the princess. The rushing wind covered any sound of any scream the Valynne could muster. Thus, unless someone had been watching (which was doubtful, since all the guests were busy mingling), no one had seen their jump.

Rough, ruby red scales started to appear all over Ekar’s body, and two red knobs began to protrude from his shoulder blades. They extended out and grew into a pair of imposing, bat-like wings with a wingspan of ten meters. Meanwhile, his body had lengthened and stretched out into legs with razor sharp claws and ridges along his spine and stretching up to the back of his head. His nose grew into a snout, and a tail sprouted from his back. Soon enough, he was a full-sized dragon with glittering yellow eyes and curly horns sprouting from the top of his head. The scent of smoke seemed to envelop him, even though he had not produced any flames, and as he moved, his scales seemed to slide and rub against one another, making a sort of clicking sound. In his front claws, he grabbed the princess before she could hit the ground, and hastily flew to the front gate, where Karl was awaiting him. Below him were surprised and confused shouts from guards, wondering how a dragon had managed to sneak onto the castle grounds, but he was over the stone wall before they could do anything. Karl, now in his emerald green dragon form, nodded at him, and they proceeded to fly up to their rendezvous point on a nearby--for dragons, that is--mountain peak, fraught with crags and cliffs.

A large group of dragons were waiting for them, and as soon as they saw the girl in Ekar’s grasp, they started to cheer. Some even snorted smoke or blew fire up into the air. Ekar’s eyes widened in surprise at the sight of his father, King Zechariah, standing proudly at the forefront of the dragon assembly. Landing gently on the rocky slope, and setting Valynne down, he bowed his head. “Greetings, Father.”

The king appraised him for a moment before a wicked grin spread across his crimson-scaled face. “My son,” he boomed. “I commend you for taking on this mission for our species, so we can avenge our ancestors and right the wrongs done to us by the humans. Thank you, Ekar.” All around him, roars of approval rose into the air, and some of the other dragons threw back their heads and laughed.

Mouth twitching, Ekar kept his head bowed respectfully. “Of course.” Looking out at his future subjects, he announced, “Today shall be the day that our species’s honor is restored to its former glory!” At his words, the dragons cheered, though they did not clap, as humans did. They spread their wings in unison, creating a collective rustling that echoed around the mountain, and leapt into the air, circling the soaring mountain peak and making patterns in the clear night sky as they did so. The air moved as they did, and strong winds blew around the king, his son, and Valynne, though they affected the princess the most, blowing her hair and dress every which way. Ekar’s father head tilted slightly downward, as if to acknowledge Ekar’s words. His cruel orange gaze switched to the human princess in the wind-ruffled pink dress before him. He snorted, expelling a plume of smoke that wrapped around his head, and made Valynne cough.

“And now,” the king drawled, bending down to look at Valynne, “time to decide what to do with you, little girl.”

~ ~ ~

To say the least, Valynne was confused instead of terrified. One moment she’d been gazing into the boy’s eyes (and suddenly realizing she’d never gotten his name), and the next she’d been hurtling through the air, clutched in a dragon’s claws.

Looking up at the dragons before her, one red and the other green, she could not help but admire how regal and majestic they looked, and how the flapping of their wings rose above the sound of the wind generated by their speed. The green one was slightly smaller than the red one carrying her, with a rounded snout and a stubbier tail. Every so often, he snorted loudly, but whether it was laughter or derision, she couldn’t tell. Meanwhile, the red dragon, who only minutes before had been her dance partner, had a wingspan that must have been three times as long as she was tall, and a noble curve to its face. From where she was, she could smell smoke surrounding both of them, which she assumed came from their ability to spit fire. The claws she was held in were sharp, and poked into her sides and and arms. Though she wasn’t bleeding, the rush of freezing air against her body and hair numbed the pain.

Was this dragon really the boy I danced with? She wondered. It was hard to believe that the yellow-eyed boy who’d seemed so polite was a dragon. It was true that dragons and humans didn’t necessarily get along, but still, why would that give them any reason to take her?

The crowd of dragons waiting on the mountain peak fascinated her, though. They came in a variety of vibrant colors and physical builds. With the moon and stars above them, the dragons’ scales seemed to sparkle. Valynne barely noticed the red dragon setting her on the ground and turning to talk to an older dragon. Though she was not able to follow the conversation, she was able to catch the boy’s--no, the dragon’s--name. “Ekar.” What a unique name, she thought.

Suddenly, the giant crimson dragon bowed his head and spoke directly to her. She stammered, her voice hoarse from the smoke the dragon blew toward her, “W-what do you mean by that?”

He simply chuckled. Since he was much larger than her, and because of his close proximity, his laugh reverberated through her body, causing her stumble slightly. “My dear princess, we are going to hold you hostage until your father comes to pay off our ransom.”

Valynne blinked up at him. “And what you want for ransom?”

The younger red dragon--Ekar, she reminded herself--growled, “We want you humans to make amends for hunting our ancestors. You’ve stopped now, but probably only due to our retaliation. Other than that, you all blame us every time you attack each other, to draw attention away from your own kind. After all, only dragons can be that savage.”

As he spoke, Valynne lowered her eyes to the ground. Though she’d never really said it out loud, she’d always felt guilty for the slaughter of the dragons that had been approved by the kings before her father. For centuries, humans had ruthlessly killed dragons that had come down to earth. Whether it was out of jealousy or pure spite, she would never know, but the dragon’s blood on Kostivalle’s soil had never really gone away.

“I see,” she responded slowly, not wanting to infuriate the dragons further. “May I ask a question?”

The elder of the red dragons chuckled. “Of course, Princess.”

“What is it like? Living in the sky?”

Murmurs rose into the air at her question, and Ekar glanced down at her, clearly puzzled. His father, meanwhile, looked at her curiously. “What do you mean?”

Shuffling her feet, and noticing that the hem of her dress was dirty, Valynne explained, “I have always found dragons fascinating, and I always wondered how it is you live in the sky. Since I was born a princess, I take an interest in others who live differently than I do.” With a sweet smile, she added, “That may very well be why I’m so close to my maid, Cassandra. It was also part of the reason why I invited peasants and commoners to my birthday ball. I thought such an action would help to unify the people of my kingdom.”

Ekar glanced at his father, and then back at her. “Valynne,” he began deliberately, “what do you plan to do once you become queen?”

Peering up at him questioningly, she answered, “I hope to slowly break down the walls between social classes so everyone can be treated equally.” Fixating on the ground again, she continued, “I also want to stop the terrible rumors that dragons are attacking the border towns, if at all possible.”

The dragons surrounding her on the ground and in the air seemed shocked. Surely, they were used to humans’ prejudice, and had expected her to be quaking in her shoes, or at least screaming profanities unbefitting of a lady. At the very worst, they had expected her to be derisive and angry at them for taking her away from her birthday ball.

Her eyes nervously flitted from dragon to dragon, confused. “Did I...say something wrong?”

Simultaneously, all of the gathered dragons shook their heads. The dragon king let out a hearty laugh, his body shaking as he suddenly pushed off the ground into the air. Ekar and Valynne stared up at him, wide-eyed and alarmed. Now that he was flying, Ekar’s father seemed far less threatening and imposing than he had before. With a large grin, the airborne dragon exclaimed, “Ekar, my son, it seems as if we’ll have to escort the human princess home.”

“Wh-what?” Ekar exclaimed, lashing his tail in frustration. “I went through the trouble to kidnap her, and now you want me to take her back?!”

Valynne looked back and forth between father and son. What had made the dragon king change his mind so suddenly? Had her words given him a change of heart?

Ignoring his son, the elder dragon turned to her. “My dear,” he rumbled, “I have a proposition for you. When you take your father’s throne in three years, will you strive to achieve all those things that you said you hope to accomplish?”

“Father, what are you--” Ekar tried to interrupt.

“Silence!” the king yelled. “Well, Princess?” he continued, looking back at Valynne.

Her hands involuntarily curled up against her chest as she stared up at the airborne dragon. “Yes. Yes, I will. But...why?”

Angling himself so his face was closer to hers, the dragon king smiled kindly. “Because,” he explained, “you could be the key to finally achieving peace between our species, and satisfy both sides.”

Valynne and Ekar exchanged a confused glance. What exactly did he mean by that? Was he planning on using her as a tool? She hoped that wasn’t the case. No matter how timid she was, she knew she wouldn’t be able to pull off working under orders from the dragons. “How?” she asked.

“It’s simple. When you are coronated as the queen of Kostivalle, we will gather the other kings and queens and sign a treaty between humans and dragons. Slowly but surely, we will break down the walls that have gone up between our species. And it will all have been because of you, Valynne Kostivalle.” Staring expectantly at her, the king of the dragons continued to hover midair. Beside her, Ekar was openmouthed with shock. His inborn prejudices against humans were being challenged by the dragon who had probably driven them into him.

“I will make that happen,” Valynne promised, surprised to hear herself saying the words. Ekar also looked down at her, surprised. When she looked into his eyes, he seemed conflicted, confused--but he also seemed to have a newfound respect for her.

“Good,” the king shouted, beginning to laugh once again. The dragons around him flinched from him as flames spurted from his nostrils and mouth haphazardly. Valynne cowered behind Ekar, who instinctively moved one of his wings to protect her.

She looked up at him, confused. I thought he hated me, she thought. Ekar seemed to realize what he’d done and took away his wing, staring pointedly at the ground to avoid looking at her.

“It is settled then,” Ekar’s father announced, turning to face his subjects. “From this day on, we shall consider ourselves friends of the humans!”
The dragons looked at each other, debating whether or not to cheer. Finally, one of the dragons on the ground began to stomp his feet. Others joined in, and soon the airborne dragons were whooping and cheering, with Valynne and Ekar at the center of it all. The male dragon sighed and looked at the human princess. “I suppose I should take you home now.”

“Yes,” she agreed, smiling up at him, as she had before, at the ball. “Thank you, Ekar.”

“Of course, Valynne.”

~ ~ ~

King Alaric peeked outside and stepped onto the balcony. “Are you enjoying your ball, Valynne? I didn’t see you dancing.”

A passing breeze blew Valynne’s skirt around her legs. If her father had looked closely, he would’ve noticed dirt staining the hem of the pink gown, and tiny tears in the bodice. But he was solely focused on her as she stared up at the sky, a mysterious glint in her eye.

“I’m sorry, Father,” Valynne apologized, facing her father with a guilty smile on her face. “The stars looked so beautiful tonight… I lost track of time, I suppose.”

“Then shall we rejoin our subjects?” her father said, extending his arm toward her.

With one last glance at the sky, Valynne took her father’s arm and allowed him to lead her back inside. “Yes, we shall.”

Behind her, the flapping of a dragon’s wings echoed through the night, unnoticeable except to those who knew to listen for it.

If I may be allowed to comment, I have read all of the stories and have a review for each:

"One Hell of a Halloween"- Rather common storyline (people at a party getting drunk) but you took it in a good turn! I liked it a great deal.

"Wings of a Tail"- If this is a reference to the anime Fairytail, I didn't get the reference (although I know that the show exists), but I really liked this one as well! Unique storyline, and your descriptions of magic were awesome.

"The Dragon Who Crashed a Ball"- I liked this one the best. The story was completely unique, (even though the dialogue could get a bit cheesy at times), and I think it was really great.

Just my two cents, thanks for posting these! :D It takes a lot of courage to put your work up on the Internet, and it's inspiring to see someone else doing so. I think I might put up some of my own stories at some point...

If I may be allowed to comment, I have read all of the stories and have a review for each:

"One Hell of a Halloween"- Rather common storyline (people at a party getting drunk) but you took it in a good turn! I liked it a great deal.

"Wings of a Tail"- If this is a reference to the anime Fairytail, I didn't get the reference (although I know that the show exists), but I really liked this one as well! Unique storyline, and your descriptions of magic were awesome.

"The Dragon Who Crashed a Ball"- I liked this one the best. The story was completely unique, (even though the dialogue could get a bit cheesy at times), and I think it was really great.

Just my two cents, thanks for posting these! :D It takes a lot of courage to put your work up on the Internet, and it's inspiring to see someone else doing so. I think I might put up some of my own stories at some point...

Thank you very much for reading them! ^^ It means a lot that someone took the time to read what I wrote. :) And yes, Wings of a Tail is my Fairy Tail fanfic XD

Someone to Protect You
Christina Samson has a hard time dealing with the death of her best friend, Amber Honeydew, who is having a hard time handling death now that she can't be there to protect her friend.
Explanation: This is a short story branching out from a novel I don't think I'll ever fully write. It's chock full of characters based on me and my friends, and, as you may guess, Amber is me. (But way prettier and stuff.) So, yeah. It's interesting. I may or may not have cried while writing it.
Topics: Death of a Friend, Ex-BF Threats (You know, high school things)
Genre: Realistic Fiction
thumb-1920-210451.jpg
Christina Samson was having a terrible week.

First, she’d found out her best friend was dead, and then she’d had to go down to the police station and answer questions about her. Finally, she’d had to remind herself to stop looking for Amber, Nick, or David in the hallways, as she’d had done for months, ever since they all ran away.

She wondered if she’d ever run out of tears.

The worst part was watching everyone else around her fall apart. Her sister sobbed into her pillow late into the night. Jamie stared at her hands during lunch, never saying anything. Ella’s face was perpetually tear streaked, her nose red and eyes puffy. Jazmin and Whitney cried into each other’s shoulders. The boys often had blank gazes and slack faces, like they were still processing their friends’ deaths.

Christina blasted music whenever she could, to help her forget.

It never worked.

Sighing, she walked down the hallway on her way out of the school. Tomorrow was Saturday, so she wouldn’t have to go see the guidance counselor, and replay the same conversation:

How are you holding up?

Terrible. My best friends are dead. How do you think I feel?

Are you friends doing any better?

None of us have spoken a word to each other since we found out. We have no idea what to say.

Any idea when you’ll all speak again?

When Amber, Nick, and David come back.

An irrational thought, sure, but it was the truth. The Posse would possibly be mute for the rest of their lives, unless their friends somehow came back from the dead.

Reaching her locker, she spun the dial and opened it.

Memories bombarded her like snowballs.

A homemade Christmas card from Amber, slipped through the slots in the locker; pinning pictures of the two of them all over the door; Amber attacking her in a hug early in the morning, before she’d had her coffee; Amber waiting for her after school, reading some new book.

Tears welled up in Christina’s eyes for the millionth time that day, and she wiped them away furiously. She would not break down in the middle of the school hallway, even if it was empty. Only when she got home and locked herself in her room would she allow herself to fall apart.

Footsteps echoed down the hallway in her direction. Closing her locker, she turned around slowly, making sure her face was composed—

And was immediately pinned against the lockers.

“Hey, Christina,” a familiar voice rasped.

She looked up into her ex-boyfriend’s narrowed eyes. Paco. They’d dated for a longer time than practically any of her other boyfriends, but then he’d broken her heart in freshmen year and subsequently dedicated his life to tormenting her. It wasn’t until the beginning of sophomore year when Amber finally had enough of hearing about him being such a jackass. She’d disappeared from lunch with Nick and David one day, and come back with a bloodied and babbling Paco. He’d blubbered an apology to Christina, and then Amber had spat in his face, “Speak to her again and I will tear you to shreds.” Nick and David had then proceeded to throw him out of the cafeteria, dusting themselves off as if nothing had happened. (Really, it was a wonder no one had caught them in the first place…)

Paco hadn’t spoken to her since. If they happened to pass each other in the hallway, he veered away from her, clearly fearing Amber’s wrath.

But now here she was, closer to him than she had been in three years.

“What do you want, Paco?” she whispered.

He smiled, a cruel and dangerous thing, and it dawned on her that he’d just grown angrier—crazier—over the years, until he snapped.

“Now that Amber isn’t around to protect you, I can do whatever I want.” His smile widened, and Christina shivered. “Including ruining your life again.”

Christina squeezed her eyes shut as his grip on her tightened, and his breathing grew heavy. What had she ever done to him to deserve this? What had she done?

Amber, where are you when I need you?

All of a sudden, the pressure on her arms lifted, and she felt as if she could breathe again.

Christina opened her eyes and gasped.

Paco was on the floor a few feet to her right, thrown by the boy standing over him…

“Seamus,” she breathed.

Seamus didn’t answer. He glared down at Paco, who gazed up at him, terrified. “Didn’t Amber tell you to stay away from her?” he growled, his eyes narrowing threateningly.

“Amber’s dead,” Paco spat defiantly.

Raising an eyebrow, Seamus responded, “That just means the threat is inherited by the rest of us. If you dare to speak to Christina, if you even touch her, I will personally tear you apart so you can never bother her again. Is that understood?”

Swallowing nervously, Paco nodded vehemently. “Good,” Seamus said. “But you’re not quite off the hook.” He kicked Paco in the crotch and crouched to punch him in the face. “Now get out of here, you son of a bitch.”

Paco scrambled to his feet and ran off down the hall.

Seamus stood there, his chest heaving, staring after Paco. He turned to Christina, his brown eyes soft and concerned. “Are you alright?”

She nodded, unable to speak.

He sighed in relief. “Thank goodness.”

Before she could answer him, he’d closed the distance between them and hugged her tightly. “I’m not leaving you alone ever again,” he murmured into her hair.

“What…Seamus…” Christina stammered, before she began to cry.

His arms squeezed her tighter. “As long as I’m here, no one will be able to hurt you ever again.”

Christina managed to say, “Thank you” through her tears.

“Of course.”

~ ~ ~

Amber Honeydew was having a terrible week.

First, she’d had to watch as her friends, the very people she loved more than life itself (er…death itself), find out that she, Nick, and David were dead, and then watched as they were interviewed by police about her. Finally, she’d had to watch her friends fall apart without her, and see them not even speak to each other.

Every single one of them had shed tears over her.

The guilt was excruciating. All this pain, this guilt—all because of her.

Nick and David were doing no better. At night, Nick would lay in bed silently, staring up at the ceiling, his arm wrapped tight around Amber. David would stare at the screens in the Forest of Happenings, which showed the goings-on of former loved ones, his fists clenched and his face pinched.

It was unbearable being dead.

The Friday after their friends had found out the news, Amber watched the screen focused on Christina. Her heart twisted painfully when she saw her friend open her locker and nearly burst into tears.

Then it tightened when Paco cornered her.

She leapt up, wanting to do something, but knowing that even with her wings, she wouldn’t get to her friend fast enough to do something. “Christina!” she screamed uselessly.

Nick and David came running, both skidding to a stop in front of the screen, one on each side of Amber, like always.

David’s forever-clenched fists shook. “That bastard,” he muttered, his blue eyes blazing with anger.

Nick’s periwinkle eyes hardened with concern. His fists also clenched, but he seemed uncertain what to do with them.

Christina closed her eyes helplessly.

Then someone shoved Paco away from her.

Grinning, Nick said warmly, “Beckett!”

Indeed, Seamus Beckett was standing over Paco, his eyes narrowed angrily. He told Paco to stay away from Christina, mirroring the threat Amber herself had delivered a couple years before. Paco ran away, and Seamus turned to Christina. A small smile danced across Amber’s lips as he hugged her, promising to protect her.

She realized that tears were running down her face.

“What’s wrong?” Nick asked worriedly.

Shaking her head, she replied, “Nothing. I’m just…” She looked up into Nick’s eyes. “I’m just glad Christina has someone to protect her, now that I’m gone.”

“Oh, Amber,” David murmured.

The boys hugged her as she cried.

Christina, don’t let go of Seamus. He needs you just as much as you need him.

He’ll protect you now that I can’t.

~ ~ ~

Back in Moon Haven, Christina smiled, sensing that Amber was watching over her, protecting her.

Like she always did.

The Boy and His Monster
Explanation: This is actually a poem I wrote in ninth grade when we were asked to write two poems. I was feeling very Digimon-y, and so, I wrote a poem about Tai and Agumon from the original Digimon series. Most of it probably sounds dumb, but this one means a lot to me. (Plus, poetry's not my strong suit.)
Topics: Friendship, Separation
Genre: "Fanfiction"
5fd56a9d67e9bb7af7fbef7752c25d9a.png
They met in the middle of summer
when the weather everywhere was wacky.
He’d come to the other’s world
through some sort of dimensional portal.
The boy loved his monster,
whom he considered a friend.
And the monster loved his boy to no end.
Adventures they had over the next few months,
but in the real world only minutes had passed.
Other children were with them
and more monsters, too.
But the boy and his monster were forever the leaders.
The monster grew up, but the boy did as well,
though not in the same exact way.
All too soon, the boy had to leave
and the two friends bid each other a teary farewell.
The next time they met was way too brief
three long years later.
Yet even one fleeting second together was better
than months upon months apart.
Now, after yet another three years without each other,
the boy is seventeen, thinking about what life with bring.
He greatly misses the monster
whom he considered a friend.
The monster, a small orange reptile with large green eyes,
who was always with him through thick and thin.
But as soon as the boy met inescapable trouble,
his monster came to him again.

Tears of Silence
Explanation: This year my English teacher had us write a poem after reading Elie Wiesel's Night. It had to relate to the Holocaust in some way, so I decided to go off the idea of someone who feels guilty they did nothing to stop the terrible events of it. The language is simple, but as my mom pointed out, it's sometimes more powerful that way.
Topics: Holocaust
Genre: Historical Fiction
7465afbf1fdb1710f2387f3d3b57c441--anime-crying-sad-anime.jpg
I knew what was happening,
but I didn’t say a word.
The rest of the globe, like me,
stayed silent as a graveyard.

We were all aware
of what was happening.
And yet,
despite the desperate pleas,
we chose to ignore it.

Like birds, the prisoners
sang for help,
trapped in their cage of death.
But no one heard them.
Pain and anguish
echoed from the walls,
yet their voices did not reach us.

Photos tell me
the stories of those people
and the suffering they endured.
They tell me
of the needless killing
and the innocent lives lost.

No words can describe the tragedy
that was the Holocaust.
No number of apologies can make up
for what happened to all those people.

The sorrow I feel whenever I think of it
feels like the weight of the world
is on my shoulders.
My heart, a stone in my chest,
sobs in mourning
for the actions I did not take—
the actions the world did not take.

Were we so heartless
that we’d disregard our fellow man?
Were we so selfish
that we wouldn’t take a risk
to save them?
The more I think about it,
the more I hate myself.

I did nothing,
and for that,
there is no excuse.

I bow my head,
and watch a waterfall of tears
stream down my cheeks.
But deep down, I know

I do not deserve to cry.

Sapling
Explanation: This is a somewhat sad short story that I wrote about a character dear to my heart, Kody Miller. He's from a novel thing that I don't think I'll ever finish, but the idea of him is precious to me. He fell in love with a tree nymph and this is the story of his daughter's birth.
Topics: Death (Sorry)
Genre: Fantasy
mountain-ash-sapling.jpg
Kody paced up and down the waiting room. Jasmine jiggled her foot impatiently in a chair close to him. She reassured him again, “She’ll be fine.”

Ignoring her, Kody stared at the door.

It was September, and Emmy was in the maternity ward, in labor. She had told Kody to wait outside, telling him she’d be okay. But he was still nervous.

His first child was going to give him gray hairs at age twenty-four.

Kody was secretly hoping the baby would be a boy. He’d always wanted a son, so he could teach him how not to be Hunter Miller, his father. They’d watch Johnny Depp movies, go monster-hunting together (cause, you know, that happens), and watch football together. Or… maybe not, considering Kody hated football.

He even had the perfect name: Carson.

Biting his nails, Kody continued pacing. A door burst open—

But it was only a nurse rushing by with a clipboard in hand. Kody glanced at his mother. “Where are they? I thought Jackie and Brendan were coming.” As his closest cousin, Jackie Levine had told him she’d be there for the birth of his child, like he was there for the birth of her son, Oliver.

Jasmine’s cell phone started playing “Home” by Daughtry. Kody looked at her with a raised eyebrow. She shrugged. “It reminds me of Nicole.” Her brow furrowed. “Why is she calling now?”

Jasmine answered her phone. She nodded every now and then, muttering, “Uh-huh. Okay. Oh, my.” She hung up with a concerned look plastered across her features.

Kody asked, “Well?”

Jasmine looked at him. “Jackie collapsed.”

It felt as if the ground had fallen out from under him. “What? Is she okay? What about Brendan and Oliver?”

Jasmine’s eyes glistened with tears. She couldn’t bear to see anyone in her family sick or injured. “Nicole was babysitting Oliver. Jackie came home and just…collapsed. Oliver started screaming, and Nicole called 911.”

Kody sank down into a chair. “Oh my God. Is… is she going to be alright? Mom, she’s still pregnant with her second kid!”

“…I don’t know.”

Her son slumped in his chair, a lump in his throat. “And how’s Brendan?”

“He’s with her right now.”

“Good,” Kody murmured. “It’s good that he can be there for her.”

Jasmine softened. “Emmy didn’t want you to see her in pain. She still possesses the sense of pride that she had as a full-fledged tree nymph.

“And besides, I’m right here with you.”

Kody grinned a bit. He hugged his mother. “I love you, too, Mom.” He pulled away for a moment. “I just hope Jackie will be okay.”

Jasmine’s eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled. “She’s strong, Kody. She’s just like her parents. She’ll pull through.” She peeked over his shoulder, her smile widening.

Someone behind them cleared their throat. Kody turned around.

A nurse stood with a blanket in her hands. Something tiny wriggled inside it. The blanket was patterned with little ducklings, but underneath all that…

…it was pink.

All of Kody’s worries about his cousin vanished.

“It’s a girl,” the nurse said proudly, holding the baby girl out to Kody. He stared at the swaddled newborn, speechless. Jasmine nudged him forward. “Go ahead,” she whispered.

Taking a few careful steps forward, Kody took the baby from the nurse and gazed down at his daughter. He looked up at the nurse. “And… Emmy?”

The nurse opened the door and led him down the hallway to another room. Kody carried the baby inside with him and sat down next to Emmy’s bed, which was close to the door. She was exhausted, but awake. Her pale green eyes gleamed when she saw Kody holding their daughter in his arms. She held her own arms out, and he handed the baby to his wife. He glimpsed a red stain at the foot of the bed. A large red stain. “Oh, no,” he breathed, looking at her worriedly. “How much blood was there?”

Emmy looked up, her eyes shining with unshed tears. “Enough.”

Kody shook his head. “You should have let me stay. You had to bear the pain alone.”

She shook her own head. “I didn’t want you to see me in pain. Besides, you had Jackie there.”

He kissed her cheek. “Goofball.” He hesitated, not wanting to tell her the truth about his cousin. “Yes, but you had no one.”

“Oh, Kody, I’m so sorry,” she said softly, reaching for his hand. Her eyes widened, and she started heaving, her outstretched hand retracting.

“Emmy?! Are you all right?”

“I’m fine, Kody. Honestly,” Emmy answered, sounding out of breath. But she handed the baby back to him and curled up in a fetal position. She choked out, “Tell her that I love her.”

“Emmy! What’s wrong?”

The former tree nymph stared up at her husband. “I was never meant to be with you forever, Kody. I love you, I really do. But I…” She swallowed. “When I told my sisters I was pregnant, they told me I wouldn’t be able to watch the child grow up. A tree nymph isn’t meant to bear a half-blood child.”

Kody searched her face. His eyes stung as her words sank in. “You mean… You’re dying?”

She nodded, biting back a pained scream.

“Emmy,” he choked out, leaning his forehead against hers. He held their daughter under his face so that she was right next to her mother.

Emmy reached out and stroked the baby’s face. “She’s so precious.” She looked up at Kody, tears glistening on her red cheeks. “I love you, Kody Miller.”

“I love you, too, Emmy,” Kody sobbed, gazing into her eyes. He pressed his lips to hers, one last time. He felt the salt of his oncoming tears in his eyes.

When he pulled away, Emmy sighed contentedly.

She didn’t inhale again.

Full of grief, Kody looked down at his daughter. He bowed his head over hers. “I’ll always protect you, my sweet, baby girl.” He smiled as he thought of a name for his daughter. “I love you, my little Carolyn.”

Anything for You
Explanation: This is based on something that actually happened to me in March on my band's trip to Baltimore. It made me realize how much my one friend really means to me, and even now, I look back at it and reflect about what happened. The names are obviously not the names of the people mentioned, but some of the dialogue is based on what was actually said. So, sorry if it's a bit crappy. I was crying a bit while writing it. (WARNING: It's a tad long)
Topics: Relationship Problems, Friendship
Genre: Realistic Fiction/Autobiographical
6fee5066267a4495929d887e2bb19b00--anime-couples-manga-manga-couple.jpg
If there was anything Skyler cared about, it was her friend Andrew.

The two had known each other since they were toddlers in playgroup, and this was something they both had dwelled on in elementary school, when they were reunited.

Skyler had had such a crush on him then.

But, as girls are wont to do, she found other boys at which to direct her affections, though most if not all turned out sour in the end. Andrew was the one constant in her life where everything else was hazy and uncertain. (Even if she had claimed to hate his guts and avoided him for months and months until the beginning of sixth grade when she couldn’t find anywhere to sit in the cafeteria.)

Come high school, Skyler moved on to Winterbrook East High School, whereas Andrew had been accepted into the local S.T.E.M. school. Thus, at the end of eighth grade, they said farewell.

Until Skyler finally got a phone, that is.

Thankfully, both were in the marching band at East, and this meant that they’d be able to spend time together. To those who asked, Skyler described Andrew as the “nicest guy on the planet.” If anyone hurt him, she said, “They’ll have to go through me. I’d do anything for him; he’s like the brother I never had.”

And yet, despite her best efforts, she found herself slowly drifting away from him.

~ ~ ~

Sophomore year had been hard on Skyler. Why the hell had she thought AP Euro would be a good idea? It wasn’t that the teacher was bad or the class was difficult (though the tests were excruciating); there was just so much work! Not to mention she had all honors classes and the youth choir at her church to attend to as well. What had she been thinking?

Maybe that was why she was so excited for the band’s trip to Baltimore. It was an escape from school and practically a vacation with friends—even though the trip would only be two days long. Still, what better way to spend St. Patrick’s Day weekend than with age-old friends?

Early Sunday morning, Skyler arrived at the school with her uniform under one arm and her alto saxophone case under the other. She’d signed up to be on the same bus as a few of her other friends, so she made a point of boarding the bus and putting her stuff down before finding them.

By the time she had found them, they’d all taken seats together on the bus, leaving Skyler to sit alone. Of course, she didn’t mind too much. At least she’d have time to read. Or watch whatever movie the band director, Mr. Erland, put on.

“Hey, Sky, is it okay if I sit here?”

Skyler glanced up and almost immediately smiled. Her friend Andrew loomed over her, ever the tall guy, smiling the kind smile he always seemed to have tucked away somewhere. Since S.T.E.M. was notorious for its workload, she wasn’t surprised to see the mildly exhausted look on his face. But at the same time, her heart ached with how much she’d missed spending time with him these past few months. Or, really, these past two years. Time had escaped her and before she knew it, she felt like they were strangers.

Stupid high school.

“Of course!” she replied sincerely, her grin widening as he sat down beside her. They settled into companionable conversation, occasionally bringing their friends in the surrounding seats into the conversation. Mr. Erland put on the movie Drumline, and Skyler laughed with Andrew over various bits and pieces of it. There were stretches of time when they were silent, but they didn’t mind all that much. Skyler was just happy that they were there together.

It was nearing lunch when Skyler looked over and saw Andrew crying.

He’d leaned forward so the top of his head touched the back of the seat in front of him, and his face was shadowed. Nevertheless, Skyler could see his reddened face and misty eyes.

“Andy…?” she murmured, leaning forward a little so her friends across the aisle couldn’t see her face. “What’s wrong?”

His eyes flickered toward her briefly, and then he tilted his phone screen at her, scrolling up so she could read the conversation.

Skyler’s heart constricted when she realized it was a conversation between him and his girlfriend, Ruby. She had been scolding Andrew for not responding to her texts. He’d responded by telling her that he was working on a group project due that week and that he hadn’t gotten any notifications from her.

She replied, “You got notifications from the group chat” accompanied with an upside-down smile emoji.

Skyler suddenly wanted to punch someone in the face.

Her blue eyes swept toward Andrew again. Every part of her hurt from looking at him. There weren’t many instances where he’d cried, but when he did, she felt as if the world around her became dimmer as a result. He was the sunshine in her rainy world, but seeing him now, she felt clouds covering up the sun.

Biting her lip, she asked gently, “Can I hug you?” Skyler may have been an avid reader and an enthusiastic writer, but when it came to comforting someone when she was unprepared for it, she was helpless. All she could offer was a hug. And she hated herself for that.

Andrew nodded, and Skyler wrapped her arms around her longtime friend. It was a bit awkward since he was hunched over, but Skyler could deal with the slight discomfort if it would make him feel better. As if she’d broken a dam inside him, he buried his face in her arm, and she closed her eyes and leaned hers against his shoulder. She bit back tears and let him cry. It was perhaps the closest they’d ever been, but Skyler couldn’t help but feel too sad to acknowledge it further.

Her friends in the other seats began to notice Andrew’s emotional state, and they tried to ask him what was wrong. Skyler gave them a look and shook her head. He wasn’t exactly in the mood to be explaining relationship problems, and it wasn’t her place to explain them for him.

A few minutes later, Andrew sat up and rubbed his eyes. Handing Skyler his phone, he asked, “Can you text Lucas for me?” She nodded and typed what he recited for her, heart pounding. Lucas was Andrew’s best friend and neighbor, as well as victim of her frequent “hug attacks.” Really, it made sense that Andrew would want to talk to him. Ignoring the slight crack in her heart, she typed furiously, unused to the iPhone’s keypad that was so unlike her slide phone’s.

Thankfully, Lucas seemed to understand immediately why she was the one texting him, and in seconds she was released from responsibility.

But…she didn’t want to be.

The bus stopped for lunch, and Skyler was ambushed by her friend May, who had been sitting in the seats across from her and Andrew. “What happened? Is Andrew all right?” May had been with Skyler and Andrew since elementary school, and she knew him almost as well as Skyler did, which, Skyler thought bitterly, didn’t seem to be very well at all.

With a deep sigh, Skyler explained the situation in hushed whispers, not wanting to spill Andrew’s problem but needing to tell someone else.
Pretty soon, a majority of her friends knew what was happening, and they all watched Andrew closely as the Winterbrook band entered a mall to eat lunch.

Skyler was fuming. Though she hid it well, she was worried beyond belief about Andrew, and she wished she could tell him that. It wasn’t fair that he was stuck with a girlfriend who was clearly treating him badly. Her friend deserved far better than that, and more than anything, she wanted to tell him.

Unfortunately for her, she had a tendency to bottle these things up until she was reduced to a sobbing mess.

~ ~ ~

The St. Patrick’s Day parade went well, though Skyler wished it wasn’t so cold. She couldn’t help but blame global warming for the residual freezing temperatures in this part of the States.

That night, the combined Winterbrook band (which consisted of students from both the East and West campuses) boarded a boat that would take them around the bay. Skyler donned her “little black dress” that she normally used for her annual church choir tour—which was easy to pack—along with a pair of black leggings to keep herself warm. Her black flats that she’d had for years were on her feet, still useful as always. Skyler had never been one to care too much about what she wore, even though she constantly lamented about her insecurity. Still, she felt strangely pretty as she brushed out her long chestnut hair, letting its soft waves fall over her shoulders casually.

Once again, she sat next to Andrew on the bus, and she found herself glancing over at him more times than not. He seemed more cheerful than before, and Skyler felt her shoulders slump with relief. They slid into easy conversation once more, and she prayed silently that he would stay this way.

Andrew looked at her seriously for a moment before stating, “You give really good hugs, Sky.”

She startled. That was a bit sudden, even for him. A timid smile spread across her face as she said, “Thanks!” in response. In a way, she was glad he’d pointed this out. Whether or not she’d been comforting to him had been killing her all afternoon.

And yet, as the two boarded the boat and went their separate ways, and as Skyler swooned over the white rice that reminded her of her mother’s cooking, she worried about him. Never before had she been so worried about any of her friends, even when they dealt with far worse problems than a simple misunderstanding in a relationship.

The boat devolved into a dance party, and Skyler joined in the fun halfheartedly. Her eyes found Andrew, standing among the tables with whom she presumed to be Ruby. (She’d never actually met the girl and had therefore not known what she looked like.) The girl had shoulder length brownish-black hair and dark eyes. Her skin was a pale shade of caramel, quite the contrast to Andrew’s lightly tanned Caucasian complexion. She was certainly pretty, but Skyler couldn’t help but feel resentful toward her. This was the girl who had made Andrew cry? She glared subtly in their direction.

For all she cared, Ruby could go to hell for hurting Andrew like that.

Ruby was dragged onto the dance floor by a friend, and Skyler saw her chance. She slowly approached Andrew and smiled. “You alright?”

Andrew was staring after Ruby, the teensiest glimmer of sadness in his eyes. It was clear he really liked her, even though she hadn’t exactly been the best of girlfriends to him, especially today. Skyler wondered what this girl had done to earn such high esteem in his eyes.

It must’ve been better than a hug.

Slowly, Andrew shifted his gaze to her and nodded. “I’m okay. You?”

Giving him a noncommittal grunt, Skyler stared at the crowd of students on the dance floor. A little voice in her head told her to press Andrew about the situation with Ruby, but she didn’t bother. If he wanted to talk about, he would.

And if he did, she’d listen.

~ ~ ~

On the bus ride back to the hotel, Andrew seemed far more forlorn that he had earlier. Something had happened with Ruby again, and Skyler had to fight the urge to slap the girl the next time she saw her. The bus interior was dark, allowing the lights of the city to act as the only source of light. Skyler stared at Andrew’s face, waiting for it to break into the smile she loved so much. Whether or not she had a crush on him at the time was forever irrelevant; no matter what happened, she would always love his smile.

Their shoulders lightly touching, Skyler looked out over the city. She closed her eyes and prayed. Though she was religious, her thoughts were always too distracted to pray. Most of the time, she prayed because she was deeply worried about someone.

Considering the light of the sun had gone out, she felt now was as good a time as any.

Dear God, she thought, please, please, please, help Andy feel better. He deserves every blessing you have to offer and more. He certainly shouldn’t have to deal with this. Please, God, if he’s not happy, how can I be?

No sooner had she prayed the last word than did Andrew’s voice reach her in the darkness of the bus. “Can I have another hug?”

The desperation in his voice made Skyler want to cry all over again. He was too sweet for this Ruby chick. She couldn’t see how truly lucky she was to have such a wonderful boy with her. Nodding, Skyler breathed, “Sure.” As he reached out, she wrapped her arms around him again, squeezing gently. The hug was far too short for her taste, but at the very least, it seemed to make him feel a bit better. And that was all she wanted.

~ ~ ~

Back in her room with May and two other girls, Skyler confessed that she was worried about him. One of the other girls, Dawn, remarked, “Any girl would be lucky to have him! He deserves way better if this is how she’s treating him.”

Skyler stared up at the ceiling and muttered, “If I was dating him, I’d treat him like the most precious person on the planet.” Which he is, she added silently.

As the three other girls talked about various things, Skyler made a decision and took out her phone. For a moment, she hesitated, but because she firmly believed that this was the only way she could specifically help Andrew, she began typing. Andy, I just wanted to let you know that I’m here for you. Feel free to talk to me if you need to and never be afraid to ask for my help. Okay?

Sliding her phone closed, Skyler let out a breath she’d been holding. It was sent, it was done. Normally, she wouldn’t intrude on other people’s business, but in this case, she was far too entrenched in it to back out now.

A few minutes later, her phone buzzed, and she opened up her conversation with Andrew. Thanks, Sky. I will.

It was a bit too simple of a response for her taste, but Skyler supposed it was the best she could hope for. She hugged her phone to her chest and hoped above all hope that he would feel better soon.

Because he meant the world to her, and she would do anything for him.

Lily and Seth
Explanation: This is another poem I wrote during my freshmen year. It's based on two second generation characters from the same universe as Someone to Protect You. Yeah. It's like that.
Topics: Best Friends, Romance
Genre: Fiction
21232ec21e5d008fc97a80da4f8e9af5--easy-to-draw-anime-love-couple.jpg

Their fathers were the best of friends,
so they spent many days together throughout their childhood.
Her wavy hair was pure sunlight,
while his was as brown as chestnuts.
Both pairs of eyes were melted chocolate
though their views of the world were vastly different.
She saw possibility in every fluttering leaf,
but he saw colors that paled in comparison to her.
Their love was simply platonic
until it wasn’t anymore.
One day, they looked at each other and realized
that their love ran deeper than just friendship.
People always smiled at them and said, “You two are very lucky.”
His father said, “Take care of Lily, or I’ll never hear the end of it.”
Her father said, “Take care of Seth, or I’ll never be forgiven.”
The girl hugged the boy fondly and murmured,
“Stay with me forever.”
The boy buried his face in her shoulder and answered,
“I’ll never let you go.”
Lily’s wide smile lit up the world around her
as Seth’s arms wrapped around her and kept her safe.
And no matter what anyone said,
they stayed together
always.

Frigid Petals
A young married couple work through their separate and yet shared grief over the losses of their parents while on vacation with their friends.
Explanation: This is also a short story based on a novel I’m writing that includes my characters from my favorite RP, The Olympus Prophecies, GMed by my dear friend @Starfish . It describes the lead couple visiting Avril's hometown of Paris and dealing with the memories of their parents' deaths. It's, uh...yeah.
Topics: GRIEF
Genre: Realistic Fiction, “Fanfiction”
bbd5ff09d1d84d87271fddd22290ccbc.jpg
Logan-logan-henderson-3-31983004-520-700.jpg
Winter in Paris was quite possibly more breathtaking than it was in the summertime. The graying skies, the glimmering Seine, the magical snowfall… Every little element of the city made the season all the more beautiful.

Today, though, a certain couple wasn’t enjoying the scenery of the City of Love. Instead, Avril Cavallon-Valdez and Castiel Valdez were visiting the graves of Monsieur and Madame Cavallon.

Castiel stood solemn watch over his wife as she crouched in front of the elegant tombstones standing guard over her parents. Her face was covered by a scarf he had carefully wrapped around her neck before they came here. It shuddered slightly in the brisk breeze that brushed by them.

After a few moments, he urged, “Azucena, you’ll get cold.” She didn’t move or acknowledge him in any other way. “Avie.” When there was still no response, Castiel finally crouched down beside her and gently tugged her into his arms. “Please don’t cry.”

Avril indeed had tears running down her cheeks, though they failed to ruin the quiet prettiness of her face. Nevertheless, Castiel hated to see his precious lily cry. It was like watching one of his beloved flowers wilt right in front of his eyes. So when she clutched at his jacket, he squeezed her to him and let his warmth envelop her.

Eventually, she lifted her head and rubbed her eyes. “Désolée, Cassy. Let’s go home.”

He nodded and stood up with her in his arms. She tried to protest, but he kissed her and said, “I’ll carry you, Azucena. You’re too sad to walk.”

Avril leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his torso as best she could. As Castiel made his way back toward her childhood penthouse home, she snuggled into his arms and folded her own against his chest.

Their walk back was silent, occasionally interrupted by her sniffling and his murmured consolations. As soon as they reached the door to the penthouse, Castiel kicked it open to reveal their three best friends sitting in the den with mugs of hot chocolate cupped in their hands. They all lifted their heads to greet them, but after one look at Avril’s face, their own expressions saddened.

Skylie Dyer was the first to stand up. She handed her mug to Kendrick Wheatley and made her way over to Castiel and Avril as he set his wife down on her feet.

Avril turned to Skylie, her mouth opening as if to explain herself, but the blonde didn’t give her chance. The Canadian girl threw her arms around Avril, and though she was far shorter than the French girl, she managed to seem bigger as Avril melted in her arms. This was soon followed by Oliver Jarrell, who placed his hand gently on Avril’s shoulder and received a bear hug in return. His eyes shone with unshed tears for his closest friend as his arms tightened around her.

Kendrick’s eyes were on Avril as he approached Castiel. “The lights of the city dim whenever Avie cries. Have you noticed?”

Castiel gave him a solemn, heavy look. “I’ve noticed that every day since the day I met her. My Azucena isn’t meant for crying.”

The two men watched as Skylie and Oliver led Avril over to one of the couches and handed her a mug of hot chocolate. Castiel wished there was some way he could cheer up his wife, but he knew that her melancholy would persist for as long as the winter holiday lasted.

As long as the anniversary of her parents’ deaths lasted.

He shut his eyes as the memory of his own parents’ deaths flashed through his mind. The shop, full to the brim of the flowers he loved so much, burning up along with his parents, who hadn’t made it out. The screams he’d thought he’d heard before recognizing they were his own, the realization that his mother would never again quiz him about the language of flowers.

For a long time afterward, Castiel had thought he’d never be happy again. Sure, he put on a brave face and continued to charm every man and woman he came across, but it was all for show.

And then he’d met Avril. It was purely by accident, him stumbling into the very cemetery he’d just visited with her. But he’d been in Paris for only a couple days, and he’d greatly missed his hometown back in Spain. Somehow, only the cemetery gave him comfort. It was something familiar, seeing as he’d visited his parents’ graves whenever he had the chance. Little did he know he’d meet the love of his life there. Little did he know he’d harbor the same brand of heartache as she did.

Blinking out of his reverie, Castiel plucked a flower from the arrangement on the kitchen counter—one he’d made himself—and went over to his wife, who cradled her mug of hot chocolate tenderly, as if it would break.

Sitting down beside her, he tucked the lily-of-the-valley behind her ear and murmured, “Please smile again, Azucena. I hate to see you cry.”

She folded her legs up onto the couch and seemed to curl into herself. “Please, don’t worry about me. I… I want to be alone for a little while.”

Skylie, Kendrick, and Oliver all looked at Castiel. This was new for them; Avril rarely wanted to be apart from her husband. It seemed today was an exception.

“Alright,” Castiel agreed, his voice cracking the slightest bit. He kissed her cheek and reluctantly stood up, leading their friends into the master bedroom and shutting the door.

Castiel immediately punched the wall opposite the door.

Oliver sat down on the bed and stared at him. “Even if she’s sad, that’s definitely not like her. She’d ask us to leave, but never you.”

Kendrick leaned against the door and crossed his arms. “So what are you going to do to bring Avie’s smile back, Cassy?”

“There’s not much I can do,” Castiel admitted, lowering himself onto the bed beside Oliver. “I don’t know what to do when she’s like this.”

Scoffing, Skylie glared at him in disdain. “That’s bull. The answer here is obvious.”

The three men looked at her quizzically. She eyed them each in turn before replying:

“You remind her she’s not alone.”

~ ~ ~

Avril was out on the balcony off the living room when Castiel found her. The lily-of-the-valley was still tucked behind her ear, and his scarf was still wrapped around her neck. He came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, settling his chin atop her head. “Azucena.”

Voice wobbling, she murmured, “It hurts just as much as it did when it happened. It’s been five years, but the tears fall just as easily as they did back then.”

“I know the feeling,” Castiel murmured. “It’s been nearly a decade since I said goodbye to my parents.” He inhaled shakily as he slowly let go of Avril and leaned against the balcony’s railing.

Her smaller hand came to rest over one of his, and Castiel glanced up into her deep hazel eyes. “I’m sorry I’ve been so selfish, Cassy. I didn’t mean for our vacation to be so—”

“Shh.” He put a hand over her mouth. “You don’t need to apologize. You have every right to be sad. They were your entire world, weren’t they?”
Tears welled up in Avril’s eyes as she nodded.

Wiping away those tears with his thumb, Castiel continued, “My parents were my entire world, too. For a couple years I thought I’d never be happy again, that I would forever be alone with my mama and my papa.” He pressed his forehead against hers. “But then I met you, Azucena, and I found out just how wrong I was. You’ve given me more joy in two years than most people have in ten. Your smile broke through the sadness. And when you’re sad, I’m sad. When you cry, I cry.” A singular tear rolled down his face as he pleaded, “So, please, Azucena. Don’t cry.”
Waterfalls of tears trekked down Avril’s face as she threw herself into Castiel’s embrace. He hugged her tightly, burying his face in her hair and crying right along with her.

After their mutual tears had subsided, Castiel looked down at her and asked, “You know what the best thing about frost is?”

“What?”

“Even if it freezes this lily here,” he began, fingering the flower behind her ear, “the frost will keep the petals warm. They may seem frigid, but they’re not. So they keep the lily’s heart protected.” He smiled down at her, his thumb brushing her cheekbone.

Avril grinned. “Are you saying you’re my frost?”

“Yes. I’ll protect you always, Azucena. You don’t have to freeze when I’m around.”

The French girl closed her eyes and rested her head against his chest. “I’ll never be alone ever again.”

“And neither will I.”

Brighter Than Silk
Explanation: This is a poem I wrote for Creative Writing last year that's based on a list of wildflowers and a list of types of fabric. This was the result of it. XD
Topics: Flowers, Boring Dances
Genre: Fiction
IMG_0954_600.jpg
Tiers of taffeta and daisies made of brocade
Surround me on all sides. I linger
By the window, avoiding contact with the
Giggling masses of lace and crêpe de chine.
Outside, the early summer sun smiles
Upon the cheery sunflowers and delicate Queen Anne’s Lace.
I want to be among them.
Silk gloves and satin hats mean little to me,
For they could never amount to the feeling
Of a world of milkweed and daylilies
All to myself.

Without meaning to, a sigh escapes me.
A flash of bright violet catches my eye, and I turn
To see a man with a crescent smile and shimmering eyes
Approach me.
His ebony hair is smoothed back, but I focus on the
Aster bloom tucked into his front pocket.
I inhale sharply, for the fresh bloom is more beautiful
Than the towers of muslin, or chenille, or even crinoline.
Its color rivals that of the shawls of angora and eyelet.
My eyes lock with his, and I blink at the kindness I find there.

The view out the window blurs as I am swept into his arms
And into the midst of the taffeta and brocade I have come to despise.
Within moments, the outside air stirs my elaborate updo,
And a smile unwittingly blooms on my face
Like the small sneezewort flowers I admire from afar.
The man leads me off the balcony and into the meadow
Where all the violet geranium and blazing orange tiger lilies
Wait for me.
Stepping away from him, I crouch to take in the fragrant scents
Of the coreopsis rainbow and vivid gaillardia.

He joins me on the ground,
In the field of color,
And we silently gaze out at the ocean of blooms
That no color of silk can ever dream
Of living up to.
The man takes my hand, and we exchange a smile.
Once again, a breeze stirs the field
Filling the air with the scents of summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back