• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Generic Fantasy RP (CLOSED)

Callum frowned and looked down for a moment. He saw she was drifting, and knew he needed to get back to the village fast. He finally got to the town and made his way through. He coveted the wound with the bandage to keep the visible blood from showing as much as possible, but some people still gave him odd looks and stares. He finally made it to the healer, and went inside, fumbling a bit as he set down Emmalia carefully in the bed. "Help her, now." He said urgently, his voice wavering a bit. "No questions asked. And no telling." He pulled his coin pouch from his side and dropped it onto the table. It had to have st least a hundred gold in it, a collection from the past few months of saving up.

Upon entering the village, Emmalia had completely lost consciousness. She wasn't at risk of death, so she hadn't even tried to fight it. The healer had been terribly surprised by their sudden arrival, but it was not an uncommon occurrence for the old woman. Being told what to do by a knight, though, was. The lady kept a cool head and approached Emmalia's side. She gently moved Emmalia so that the wound could be accessed. The black blood had seeped through the cloth. There was a single silent moment before the healer looked up at Callum. "Do you realize who you're dealing with? Or, I should say, what? Black blood, whatever the reason... it's not a good thing."

She sighed and adjusted Emmalia's position, then began to bustle about, getting regents to work with. "Fifty gold, you have a good healing and my silence. If you can promise she'll cause no trouble here."

"I promise, just hurry." Callum said, strain in his voice as he looked at the bloody rag. His hands twitched at his side as he watched the healer work, trying his best to keep calm. He was going to worry about what her blood meant afterwards, but right now, her health was the most important thing. "Is she alright? Will she be okay?" If you hadn't been with them, you'd almost figure that Callum had been by her side for years, a trusted friend. But in all honesty, they had been around one another for a total of less than two weeks. Callum wasn't sure why he felt so strongly about keeping her alive, except that she had helped him before. He figured he should return the favor.

The healer chuckled darkly. "Kid, one of her kind don't die easy. She'll live, or whatever it is she do." With quick, very practiced movements, she removed Emmalia's armor, leaving the girl in her long sleeve white undershirt, and carefully cleaned, packed, and bound the wound. "She'll have to sleep off some of this poison before I can give her anything."

Callum nodded his head slowly. "How long will the process take in total?" He asked, peering over to see her wound for a moment. He didn't care what she was, especially after she's shown her good intentions to him, so he knew that whatever she was, couldn't be that bad. Callum looked back up at the healer, and wondered if he needed to stay a few nights more in the village.

The healer shrugged. "I don't know how quick she heals. It'll take more than a day til she can move much, to be sure. Maybe two. Then throwing off the remains of that fever? It might take a bit. You can stay here in one of the empty beds." The entirety of her house, excpet for a few rooms, was evenly spaced beds. The healer stepped back and added, "In fact, I'd prefer you did I don't want her waking and killing me thinking I'm an enemy."

"Understandable." He said and nodded his head gratefully. "I appreciate your help ma'am." He didn't bother counting out the fifty gold from his coin pouch and simply left it for her. He had no use for it anymore, he could easily make back the money from adventures and missions. Callum sat on the bed beside Emmalia's and looked over at her, unsure if he should wait around with her or doing some exploring before she woke.

Emmalia didn't wake until night, so Callum had quite the long wait before him. There had been times where she'd fidget in her sleep before falling still again, there were moments where her fever was far higher than a human could survive, and there were instances where she would shiver horribly from the fever.

When she finally awoke, it was rather slowly, and a soft groan of pain. The wound in her back hurt, and her whole body ached from the now-manageable fever. Immediately upon opening her eyes, she looked a Callum. She stayed silent for a few seconds, then softly asked, "Callum...? Where are we...?"

Callum's eyes looked as if they would close at any moment, his mind thinking far too much while he waited. He nearly thought himself to sleep, but Emmalia's voice brought him back a new found energy. "Emmalia?" He asked and looked down at her, getting up from his cot and joining her side. "I took you to the healer. I paid her a few coins to keep quiet about you. She promised you'd be okay." He looked her up and down for a moment. "You're okay right? You'll make it?"

Emmalia stiffly nodded. "I'll live. Not much can kill me." She shivered and pulled up the blanket around herself. She was not fond of fevers in the least. Very stiffly, she tried to sit up. "W-we should go, we need to go...."

"Emmalia." He said sternly and put a hand on her shoulder gently. He looked down at her with a blank expression, unsure how to express what he wanted. "You need to rest. You're not going anywhere, my orders." He let his hand linger a bit, unsure what else he could do. Callum wanted to say many things then, but wasn't sure how to word any of his thoughts preperly. So, he did the one thing he got good at - he remained quiet and let the silence talk for him, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

Emmalia looked up at him for a few seconds. "I don't listen to your orders...." She said quietly. But she couldn't deny that he was correct. Slowly, she looked away from his eyes and laid her head back on her pillow. Her hand slowly moved up to lay over his on her shoulder. "Are you going to stay here...?"

"Of course, Emmalia." He said softly, his voice much quieter than before. He wasn't sure why it had changed all of a sudden, from its gruff, gravelly tone to a light and soft one. "I'm not going anywhere." He looked down at their hands, feeling the warmth from hers as it covered his. Callum's heart began to beat faster in his chest, but he kept the same expression as always. That was, until he couldn't hide the smile he had tried to. "I'm not leaving your side."

Emmalia didn't see the change in his expression, since she had closed her eyes. Normally she wouldn't want anyone to be near her or get close to her, but she truly felt miserable, and if he was there, then the healer couldn't put a dagger in her back. Would he be mad that she hadn't told him what she was? Maybe - he ought to be if he was in his right mind. At minimum, he ought to expect an explanation - it was only fair, anyway. But that was for later - she'd fallen asleep again, with her hand over his.

As Callum had promised, he didn't budge from his spot beside the bed. Even when the candles were blown out and the nurse went to sleep, Callum sat by the bedside and hadn't moved an inch. He wasn't uncomfortable or tired, so he decided he might as well stay where he was. Emmalia's hand eventually fell off of his in the night, but Callum had made sure to hold it in his. He enjoyed the warmth she gave off, especially since the night had been cold, and eventually, he found himself staring out the window at the rising sun.

As the streaks of sunlight fell on Emmalia, she shifted uncomfortably and after a few moments, her eyes fluttered open. She looked at their hands, still together, then up at him, and didn't say anything for some seconds. When he did speak, she said a soft, simple "Good morning...." To be honest, she hadn't expected to wake - she had expected someone to kill her in the night.

Callum slowly looked down at her, "Good morning." He said with a soft smile. "Don't worry, I made sure no one came in, and even if they did..." He motioned towards his sword at his side. "I wouldn't let them harm you. Promise." He gave her hand a gentle squeeze, although he wasn't sure exactly why, it just felt right. He looked down at her as though expecting her to pull her hand away, surprised she hadn't already.

Emmalia was surprisingly not upset by his squeezing her hand, and she even held his hand for a few seconds longer before pulling it away to stiffly sit up. Slowly, she rotated her shoulder, testing the wound in her back. "This is unpleasant, but definitely healing. If I could shake the damned fever, I'd be fine."

The healer, having heard her voice, walked in with a cup in her hand. She held it out to Emmalia, and said, "For the fever. It's no cure, but it'll help, at least." Em looked at the dark liquid, then sniffed it. "Whiskey?" She asked incredulously. The healer chuckled and replied, "Only a touch, the rest is a tisane mix. It'll help a bit." Emmalia still hesitated, so the healer added, "It's not poisoned. I'm not getting paid to kill you, I'm getting paid to fix you. I don't know if healing is the right word, so I'll just fix you." The healer then went back into the other room.

Emmalia grumbled something quietly, then drank the warm liquid quickly.

Callum rubbed his temple lightly. He had a headache ever since falling into the pit yesterday, and it was hard to focus with the pain in the back of his head. But he persevered and smiled over at Emmalia as she drank. "How does it taste?" He asked rhetorically, already knowing by her expression. "Better save some for later just in case." Callum rested back in his chair, wondering if he'd need to help her walk all the way back to Aman's castle when they left. He doubted it though, since she seemed to be string in her convictions of remaining independent.

Emmalia ignored his advice and downed the whole drink. When it came to medicine, messing the half-doses was a waste of time. She set the cup aside. "Not too bad, to be honest." She sat up and leaned against the headboard on her bed while she looked over at Callum. "Have you slept at all since you brought me here?"

"Of course not. I needed to make sure you'd be safe." He said simply and left it at that. Callum looked down at his feet for a split second before looking back out the window. "Think you'll be able to move some time soon? I'm sure Aman has healers who will gladly help, without the possibility of villagers rioting for your head." He suggested this not because he wanted to leave the town, but because he genuinely wanted to get Emmalia to safety before something went wrong. With callum's quests, something always did.

Emmalia sighed and said, "Even Aman's healer's.... there's no guarantee of safety. The fewer who know, the better. A Lord is more likely to send a hunting party after me than a village healer." After being silent for a few seconds, she asked, "WHy haven't you even asked about what I am?"

"I wanted to ensure you'd be fine before forcing you to tell me." He said. "Knowing what you are hasn't been my priority. But, now that you bring it up, it'd help to know what exactly is going on." Callum had been curious the whole time, but one he shouldn't stress her any more than she already was. He needed to let her know she had someone she could truly trust, and that was callum's goal for the past few hours. Now though, Callum was going to ask a lot of questions.

Emmalia looked at him for a few seconds, then asked, "How do I know you're not planning on killing me the moment I admit to anything?" He just seemed too damn calm about this...

"Would I have saved you in the woods and watched over you during your fever if I planned on killing you now? I want answers Emmalia, that's all." His voice got deeper and gruff once more, seeming to change back when she appeared to be better. Callum realized his own pitch change, knowing he had a soft spot for people in need. However, Emmalia wasn't in need anymore, she was an avid dark hunter. It was her turn to help him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back