• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

gathering refugees from dead 5e threads

I noticed there are several 5e interest checks that were abandoned recently, and I figured if we combined all the participants from those threads, we'd end up with like three or four people who are actually motivated enough to start a game and stick around.

Reply with whether you want to be a DM or player, whoever ends up being DM can decide on the campaign details.

Please think about whether you actually want to commit to a game before responding.

JayTee JayTee Well, I have no problem with people GMing and playing a character, especially when we only have three people so far; actually we might end up playing more than one character each

also I'm happy to be co GM, or just informally suggest ideas

I'm not a huge fan of GMPCs, personally. I think if we get one more player we can commit to a game and decide on who is GM and who is PC.

PC here. Paladin preferred, but I'll happy play a fighter or a wizard too.

I agree though, GMPCs ruin the game. I GM a game outside this site and what few temporary party members I have I try to give every reason to not show up.

Yep! I've had a character I've wanted to use for a while. Though, to whoever decides to DM, would we be using Volo and Xanathar? Just so I know what to plan for.

I can try my hand at running a game. No real restrictions on race/class combos save for that they need to be from published material (no Unearthed Arcana) and I strongly request that you not play full casters (Clerics, Druids, Sorcerers, Wizards, Bards) as I'm not 100% confidant in my ability to manage a game with them just yet.

Fine by me, and thank you Lord DM. So with that said and done, how will we be doing this? Here, discord, roll20?

JayTee JayTee Do warlocks count as full casters? Also, bards are full casters in 5th?? I had no idea. Guess it's a good thing I'm not DMing lmao

re: Voltsung Voltsung 's questions, I prefer pbp (that's why I joined a forum), especially since most people I've played with on this site typically post around midnight my time

that being said, IF we can get everyone's schedules to line up, I see no reason why we couldn't do pbp on discord during the week, and a real time session on the weekends for example, so as to maximize play time, keep it moving, and maintain player interest

my time zone is EDT, UTC -4. (It's 10am as of this post). I usually have at least one day off on weekends, except when I'm doing my reservist thing; regardless, I'm usually available all evenings, but I do try to get to bed at a reasonable hour ( <11 )

I think by full caster he means any class that can cast 9th level spell, which includes bard and excludes warlock. Warlock is based more on spell-like and supernatural abilities picked up through a feat-like system, so they have less spells. Bard on the other hand has been retooled to almost a full support class in 5e. You can technically build a Gish with them using college of valor and swords, but they primarily focus on casting.

It should be noted that eldrich Knight is pretty viable now if you're looking for a more sword heavy gish. Warlock also works well, as does paladin. I want to be a paladin, but I'm fine going Fighter

Edit: I'm also on EDT, and since I'm on summer break I have plenty of time. Just can't do Sundays because of work

Last edited:
Yeah, Warlocks are at best, half casters with a few extra tricks up their sleeves, so they're fine if someone wants to play them.

I am also partial to PbP formats.

*barges in, rolling a natural 20 strength check*

Lord above, you will not believe my day!

I generally play Rogue(hehehe....), But want to branch out, possibly to cleric or monk, maybe even warlock. Will Homebrew be allowed if I bring it up? Also, roll stats?

No, standard array. Rolling for something as fundamental as your basics stats is bad game design in my opinion, because its entirely possible for one person to roll very well and another to roll very poorly.

I think I'm going to bring back a game that I tried in the past. You'll all be newcomers to a city that, while once rich and prosperous, is now on the verge of collapse. You'll need to decide if you want to pull it back from the brink and help it be renewed, or push it over the edge so you can loot it on your way out.

Fair enough. I'm not really in it for the balance, but its your call. Remind me what standard array means?

You have an array comprised of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8. Assign those numbers to your ability scores to determine your characters capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back